Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

OP, I think you should start some sort of weird business buying overhauling and reselling restaurant kitchen equipment because it is the only thing in the this entire thread you seem remotely interested in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
Instead of doughnut holes you should sell Frog Nuts

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Thank you, guys, you're so kind to actually be interested. Sometimes I miss working in the food industry, where we could jokingly threaten each other with knives

try more magnesium posted:

i have this too, it makes working "normal" jobs or going to school or conducting business during business hours into a federal loving issue. thank you for the donut post and thank god for adderall

Oh, another one! My new prescriber is determined to help me with my sleep disorder, so I've got a sleep study scheduled for December. There's a medication that he wants me to try, Hetlioz, that I guess is really hard to get covered by insurance without at least a sleep study. My last prescriber got me off Adderall because she was worried that it would eventually make my heart explode, and I'm doing alright without it. Everyone's got their thing

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Pk thank you for that informative post.

Could you guesstimate how many items you’d put out in a shift?

How many donuts could one person take from flour to finish in eight hours?

How steep is the learning curve associated with learning to work dough? I understand that you mix, then proof, then shape, then proof again, and then fry. Is there a convenient batch size you’ve found that can get through the fryer before anything has been over-proofed?

Have you ever worked with a retarder? Apparently the dough can be held mid-proof overnight but it doesn’t work for everyone since the flavor isn’t always the same.

Unless something catastrophic happens at work this week I’m going to make a bunch of doughnuts in my driveway this weekend. There’s four dough recipes we’re looking at and we’re going to have some folks come give us feedback. I’m planning on just simple raised glazed at this point so we can focus on the dough.

Also I can’t find an architect for the life of me and the last one I talked to acted like opening in ten months was a tight schedule.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rationale posted:

Also I can’t find an architect for the life of me and the last one I talked to acted like opening in ten months was a tight schedule.

This is very likely because nobody wants to touch your govershack that is in such bad shape the power was turned off and yes, 10 months to go from that to even just a building/kitchen that has already passed all inspections is in fact a tight schedule especially in the current climate of material shortages and substitutions in building products.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Powerful Katrinka posted:

On my days off, I just kept the same sleep schedule; even now, if I'm left to my own devices, I revert to a nocturnal schedule

never worked in a bakery but i worked overnights on and off for five or six years and keeping a consistent sleep schedule is the only way to not go insane. for about a month i tried the old "return to daytime hours on days off" and got so depressed that i stopped eating and lost like 15 or 20 pounds that i did not need to lose. it was extremely bad, one of the darkest times of my life. obviously everyone is different but OP you need to consider that if you are the only guy working in the bakery, you will need to work overnights, and you may need to keep that sleep schedule consistent to not go insane. something to consider!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I am used to a restaurant buildout taking 9-12 months for a brand new building and good funding and planning, I can’t imagine 10 months for an almost condemned building with an owner showing up every week with their newest surprise “acquisition” in the back of a uhaul.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
These loving architects don’t want to work

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

great post, thank you for all the info! i was surprised to hear that the bakery made up 25% of the store's profits - do you think that's standard in big chain stores as well? it makes sense given the larger markup on baked goods

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

a.p. dent posted:

great post, thank you for all the info! i was surprised to hear that the bakery made up 25% of the store's profits - do you think that's standard in big chain stores as well? it makes sense given the larger markup on baked goods

Grocery store margins on a lot of items are really really low. Like 0-1% after you account for wastage, shrinkage, overhead and stuff. Grocery stores as an industry are facing suppliers that are largely consolidated and they are forced to carry, so they have little leverage to extract value.

If the Kroger-Albertsons things goes through I would expect food prices to go up significantly and the new mega-chain to capture a lot of value, and push it's own brands a lot harder. I'd be pretty shocked if it is allowed, groups like PG&E have a massive stake in them not merging.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Oh, NOW you want to listen to me

Everything is done by weight in baking, and it's been a few years, so I don't remember the number of donuts to pounds of mix. 5 lbs of mix for the cake rings was the minimum, I'd get at least three dozen out of that

If you have no experience with yeast dough, don't jump into making yeast-raised donuts. You can practice poo poo like bread baking and pizza crusts if you want some practice. Don't waste ingredients by trying to make a bunch of doughnuts if you don't have the right tools or literally any experience

You should hold off on round filled donuts until you have a roller, to be honest. You can cut rings and long johns by hand, twists are just twisted rings. But you need a roller. There's nothing else that will instantly cut a slab of dough into uniform weights and then roll all two dozen at once in a couple seconds. If you don't have a roller, you'll have to cut and weigh out 2 ounce (or whatever) pieces of dough and then hand roll them into spheres. You should get a sheeter, too

Aye you starting to understand why so many people told you to learn how to bake before opening a bakery?

Edit: this is MY thread now

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

pseudanonymous posted:

I'd be pretty shocked if it is allowed, groups like PG&E have a massive stake in them not merging.

I assume you mean Proctor & Gamble because I don't think Pacific Gas & Electric really cares, they're too busy continually setting California on fire.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

interrodactyl posted:

I assume you mean Proctor & Gamble because I don't think Pacific Gas & Electric really cares, they're too busy continually setting California on fire.

Yes, my bad.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

:five:

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Oh, NOW you want to listen to me

Aye you starting to understand why so many people told you to learn how to bake before opening a bakery?

For the record I never said it would be simple or easy, just that I can do it. Maybe I’m not the baddest man alive but I been fuckin his old lady and he knows about it.

Is there a dough skill threshold to look for before I start trying to fry?

Have you got any specific recommendations for a sheeter/roller?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rationale posted:

For the record I never said it would be simple or easy, just that I can do it. Maybe I’m not the baddest man alive but I been fuckin his old lady and he knows about it.

Is there a dough skill threshold to look for before I start trying to fry?

Have you got any specific recommendations for a sheeter/roller?

Jesus Christ, dude, no one is recommending that you give up your day job to go work at Krispy Kreme for the rest of your life, just that a week’s employment there would teach you way more than you could learn from all these scattershot questions on this dead gay forum

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Rationale posted:

Maybe I’m not the baddest man alive but I been fuckin his old lady and he knows about it.

lmao what

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Rationale posted:

Maybe I’m not the baddest man alive but I been fuckin his old lady and he knows about it.

bad rear end

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Rationale posted:

For the record I never said it would be simple or easy, just that I can do it

Can you, though? Can you bake well? Can you successfully run a bakery? Can you plan before jumping right in and investing in equipment and structural changes to your building? Not everyone can do all of that, or do it all well. Well enough to make a decent living, anyway

Running a business requires a whole set of knowledge and skills that need to be acquired. Baking is the same way. You might have a knack for something, but that doesn't automatically translate into "I can make my living doing this." I wanted to be a teacher when I was younger, then I took a class in education and realized learning and talking about history isn't the same as teaching children about history. And that's okay. It's okay to change your mind and not go through with a decision

You already have experience with building, I presume you enjoy the work. If you're going to open a business, why not open one you actually know something about? At least one person has suggested going into fixing and selling restaurant equipment, and that is so much more sensible. You already have the experience, skills, and knowledge to build off of, plus you can learn about the food industry, make connections, and make an educated decision about opening a bakery

I don't have recommendations for equipment, it's been years since I worked there and I couldn't tell you the brand name of our equipment to save my life. Mostly I remember that the roller was made before the Berlin Wall came down. The good equipment will last for decades, good luck finding anything of that quality, that a bakery will sell at a price you can afford

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Rationale posted:

Pk thank you for that informative post.

Could you guesstimate how many items you’d put out in a shift?

How many donuts could one person take from flour to finish in eight hours?

How steep is the learning curve associated with learning to work dough? I understand that you mix, then proof, then shape, then proof again, and then fry. Is there a convenient batch size you’ve found that can get through the fryer before anything has been over-proofed?

Have you ever worked with a retarder? Apparently the dough can be held mid-proof overnight but it doesn’t work for everyone since the flavor isn’t always the same.

Unless something catastrophic happens at work this week I’m going to make a bunch of doughnuts in my driveway this weekend. There’s four dough recipes we’re looking at and we’re going to have some folks come give us feedback. I’m planning on just simple raised glazed at this point so we can focus on the dough.

Dude, you're on page 11 of this thread and you don't already know the answers to these questions?

Go do anything else :lol:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Rationale posted:

Have you ever worked with a retarder?

dude you can't set yourself up like this :cmon:

Tarnop posted:

The Doughring-Cruller Effect

:eyepop:

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 25, 2022

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tempora Mutantur posted:

dude you can't set yourself up like this :cmon:

And it was on that fateful 25th Day of October in the Year of Our Lord 2022, that BFC realized there was no mod.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Make me ik. I promise to do a really bad job

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Tarnop posted:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Epitope posted:

Make me ik. I promise to do a really bad job

We already have one of those. He never leaves the Law thread. :haw:

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tarnop posted:

:emptyquote:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Tarnop posted:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tarnop posted:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Tarnop posted:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Just goldmine it now forget whatever the hell the OP is doing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Not until we see donut attempts

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
No way, I want donuts, goddammit! I have faith in OP!

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Tarnop posted:

Thread title, por favor

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Tarnop posted:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Thread title, por favor

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

a.p. dent posted:

I don't know, honestly. It was a pretty small store that almost only sold food--there was no pharmacy, for example, and only two short aisles of non-food items. Baked goods made up a significant portion of the products available, though not a full 25%. It's also hard to be sure if that's 25% on an average day or if the holidays bumped it up, Easter especially. Easter in the bakery was crazier than Christmas and Thanksgiving combined

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Another auction closing tonight wish me luck goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rationale posted:

Another auction closing tonight wish me luck goons

I hope you win some common sense, Doobie.