Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
:stare: uh yeah I'd have a real get-to-the-bottom-of-this talk with that daycare, it sounds like that's the only plausible explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

that is a loving weird thing to bring home from daycare, you definitely need to get to the bottom of this

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My 12 month old has started nursery! :dance:

*reads the last two pages*

no :negative:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

bitmap posted:

fuckin...emotional terrorism. ban this book.

I didn't know they did a biography of my MIL. Strange they changed the gender of my wife though.

bitmap posted:

this is a pretty weird one but...my 2yo daughter has said a few really strange things lately. About 2 weeks ago my wife was getting dressed while she was in the room and she pointed at her and said "sexy! bit sexy!" and laughed. Just now we were driving to pick up my wife from some spa thing and when I said "let's go get mummy" she replied "BUSTY mummy! lets get busty mummy!".

In a vacuum I guess Kids Say The Darnedest Things but...there is nowhere she could have heard this aside from daycare. I know that the kneejerk reaction is to just blame daycare but she was born in covid and we moved countries when she was not even 1. We don't have a circle of friends she is around. We've never used a babysitter. She isn't around either of our families because they live in other countries. She spends her whole life in our house and the park and daycare. We don't have adult television on in front of her. I have never said "sexy" around her. "busty" is a dumb word and I don't use it. We made sure both times we didn't mishear her, she repeated the words multiple times.

we're kinda...weirded out. we've racked our brains for any other possibility than daycare. Why the gently caress would the daycare women be saying things are sexy (to the point that she has made the association between the word and states of undress) or talking about how stacked my wife is in front of a 2 year old.

I guess I have to take the easiest going daycare minder aside and have a real awkward conversation. I'm trying not to get angry thinking about it but what the gently caress.

You are correct to be weirded out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
today was a big day in our house because I finally got new toner cartridges for the printer (it's been dry for months) and my boys started queuing up requests.

i told them they could each have two printouts so they put in their choices and afterward my younger son admitted that he only asked for a Space Godzilla picture so he could give it to his brother as a gift.

then they hugged.

every single day it astounds me how much these two people love each other and show it so openly. it's the best fuckin thing.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

bitmap posted:

this is a pretty weird one but...my 2yo daughter has said a few really strange things lately. About 2 weeks ago my wife was getting dressed while she was in the room and she pointed at her and said "sexy! bit sexy!" and laughed. Just now we were driving to pick up my wife from some spa thing and when I said "let's go get mummy" she replied "BUSTY mummy! lets get busty mummy!".

In a vacuum I guess Kids Say The Darnedest Things but...there is nowhere she could have heard this aside from daycare. I know that the kneejerk reaction is to just blame daycare but she was born in covid and we moved countries when she was not even 1. We don't have a circle of friends she is around. We've never used a babysitter. She isn't around either of our families because they live in other countries. She spends her whole life in our house and the park and daycare. We don't have adult television on in front of her. I have never said "sexy" around her. "busty" is a dumb word and I don't use it. We made sure both times we didn't mishear her, she repeated the words multiple times.

we're kinda...weirded out. we've racked our brains for any other possibility than daycare. Why the gently caress would the daycare women be saying things are sexy (to the point that she has made the association between the word and states of undress) or talking about how stacked my wife is in front of a 2 year old.

I guess I have to take the easiest going daycare minder aside and have a real awkward conversation. I'm trying not to get angry thinking about it but what the gently caress.

my kiddo is 22 months old with a rapidly expanding vocabulary, so I get where you are coming from, but is it possible you are mishearing or mistoddler-translating? my daycare provider was concerned about our domestic situation because my daughter was saying something repeatedly that sounded like ‘get away’ or ‘go away’ in time it resolved more clearly into something else.

but yea, if that’s clearly what she is trying to say then that’s pretty concerning.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Dual ear infections. Again. Tubes it is! :negative:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

My 12 month old has started nursery! :dance:

*reads the last two pages*

no :negative:

Woke up to this on the daycare FB group:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
We all got covid a few weeks ago and now the kid's got an regular cold of some sort :(

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

unlimited shrimp posted:

:siren: a second strep has hit the throat

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

A bunch of kids at my kid's school have had strep recently

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

today was a big day in our house because I finally got new toner cartridges for the printer (it's been dry for months) and my boys started queuing up requests.

i told them they could each have two printouts so they put in their choices and afterward my younger son admitted that he only asked for a Space Godzilla picture so he could give it to his brother as a gift.

then they hugged.

every single day it astounds me how much these two people love each other and show it so openly. it's the best fuckin thing.

I don't remember a time growing up where I didn't hate my older brother's guts. Genuinely curious where sibling love comes from and if it's something parents are modeling maybe? Did you and your partner have positive sibling relationships?

My wife is an only child and wants two because her experience growing up was lonely. I had two brothers, a half-sister and two sparsely seen step brothers, so I've always been on team One And Done. Partly for finance reasons, but also because I can't imagine parenting my brothers and I was particularly gratifying with the constant fighting, whining and enduring emotional scars.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I loved my little sibling a shitton when we were young then when I became about 12ish we started grating on each other, hated each other's guts through the teens, then when we were both 18+ went back to being pretty close friends.

I think it's just part of aging sometimes, but we also both had a lot of unacknowledged trauma through our teens that we got help for later so that maybe played a role too. :iiam:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

c section booked in for next friday and if I had my way a vasectomy booked in for the hour afterwards

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

bitmap posted:

c section booked in for next friday and if I had my way a vasectomy booked in for the hour afterwards

Sitting at the hospital waiting for the overworked staff to attempt to start labour so we can avoid another c section maybe. Feeling the same about vasectomy, but that's a long discussion that's gonna wait until crazy hormones are done.

But remember that c section is major surgery. It'll be like a month before she can walk and lift stuff without pain. Probably not the best time to cut your balls. Be prepared to do all the stuff that involves standing and/or lifting.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

BonHair posted:

Sitting at the hospital waiting for the overworked staff to attempt to start labour so we can avoid another c section maybe. Feeling the same about vasectomy, but that's a long discussion that's gonna wait until crazy hormones are done.

But remember that c section is major surgery. It'll be like a month before she can walk and lift stuff without pain. Probably not the best time to cut your balls. Be prepared to do all the stuff that involves standing and/or lifting.

yeah the first one was a c section as well. I apparently make freakishly huge babies :mildpanic:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

That can be a fun side effect of pregnancy diabetes, or just fun size nature.

Ours is preeclampsia (both times, but less emergency and more monitored this time), which one midwife described as me being incompatible with my wife

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

BonHair posted:

That can be a fun side effect of pregnancy diabetes, or just fun size nature.

Ours is preeclampsia (both times, but less emergency and more monitored this time), which one midwife described as me being incompatible with my wife

yeah we went through the gestational diabetes scare both times. my kids are just huge dumb lumps!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't remember a time growing up where I didn't hate my older brother's guts. Genuinely curious where sibling love comes from and if it's something parents are modeling maybe? Did you and your partner have positive sibling relationships?

my siblings and I were the same way growing up. constantly fighting and just hating each other all the time.

it turns out my older brother feels awful about how he treated me growing up and he thinks it was just because our dad was so hard on him that he just passed it on to me so he could take out his frustrations too. kind of a "poo poo rolls downhill" situation.

so in our house I try to be nothing like our dad. there's no spanking. there's no yelling. there's no slamming doors. i try to actually listen to them talk instead of shutting them down immediately. I try to hear why their upset instead of just being mad that they're upset at all.

house is just full of love and it turns out that works WAY better.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My dad was more of the "cold, distant, overstoic 20th-century man" type and I am trying to be the kind of dad who never says no to a request for attention or affection. Dunno how sustainable it is in the long term but our daughter has a HUGE daddy preference so I think it's going well so far

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still don't really know how to talk to my dad and I teared up during his speech at my wedding because I'd never heard him say nice things about me before

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Jesus christ, homeopathic quack poo poo is rampant for children's medicine. What a racket.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Third time this has happened but kid's school just had another overnight field trip that turned into a super spreader event. This one is a flu, COVID, and mystery bug outbreak.

My kid refused to go despite teachers again trying to convince him this.time it'll be fine

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Jesus christ, homeopathic quack poo poo is rampant for children's medicine. What a racket.

Guessing you're looking for cough suppressant for kids.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah lol exactly. And that line of inquiry led me to the Mayo clinic's site that recommends against anything but pain and fever reducers until 6 at the earliest, ideally 12

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

So much crap for colic and teething and 99% of it is just placebo to make you feel better for Doing Something

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Vishass posted:

Third time this has happened but kid's school just had another overnight field trip that turned into a super spreader event. This one is a flu, COVID, and mystery bug outbreak.

My kid refused to go despite teachers again trying to convince him this.time it'll be fine

smart kids but also sad hes gotta be smart like that so soon in life

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

meanolmrcloud posted:

my kiddo is 22 months old with a rapidly expanding vocabulary, so I get where you are coming from, but is it possible you are mishearing or mistoddler-translating? my daycare provider was concerned about our domestic situation because my daughter was saying something repeatedly that sounded like ‘get away’ or ‘go away’ in time it resolved more clearly into something else.

but yea, if that’s clearly what she is trying to say then that’s pretty concerning.

Also it's just as likely that she picked it up from another kid in daycare as from a teacher. The words sexy and busty aren't exactly rarified slurs or swears or anything and might be used casually in other households.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Yeah lol exactly. And that line of inquiry led me to the Mayo clinic's site that recommends against anything but pain and fever reducers until 6 at the earliest, ideally 12

childrens motrins. the only thing u need

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Ibuprofen and paracetamol liquid suspensions are the backbone of my medical parenting.

That and bandaids with cartoon characters on them.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

Sometimes parents need to get

H i g h

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

childrens motrins. the only thing u need

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
8 ounces hot water
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Good for soothing coughing throats.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

8 ounces hot water
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Good for soothing coughing throats.

don't give honey to <1yr old though

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

An Apple A Gay posted:

Sometimes parents need to get

H i g h

tried that tonight and youngest wandered out and said he barfed all over the place right when it was really kicking in

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

bitmap posted:

Do it and then get it reversed later to have another kid and then get a final vasectomy to seal the deal

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

It's important to inflict as much genital/reproductive related pain on yourself to show your wife that you empathize with her

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Thesaurus posted:

It's important to inflict as much genital/reproductive related pain on yourself to show your wife that you empathize with her

:hmmyes:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

this is what a feminist looks like (my mangled dick)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I have a 12 yo daughter and 5 yo son, they get along just fine. They fight a bit but nothing serious or long lasting. I think it is just that their personalities match, where my daughter is much more introverted and my son is a ham so they just enjoy the safe company of each other. I don't think we've done much to encourage this outside the usual of intervening when they do get a bit feisty with each other (some is fine) and promoting a cohesive family.