Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like infestations for the most part, they shake things up, and let melee pawns shine.
As mentioned earlier, I'd take an infestation over a siege any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

A bad infestation can really cost you an arm and a leg. :imunfunny:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vanilla Expanded flamethrower is fun with them. I love that thing.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Drop pod raids really brought an end to my last colony. How do you guys deal with those? I feel like you need to keep your colonists armoured at all times to be prepared but that is an issue in itself

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Is there like a how to guide to draw in the rimworld art style?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like fighting insects a lot more than mechanoids. Centipedes are a pain in the rear end to deal with because they have low psychic sensitivity and wind up resisting EMPs after just a few blasts, whereas megaspiders are fully susceptible to all psycasts. You can easily bake insects in a heat trap while mechanoids just won't give a poo poo. You can very easily make an entire swarm of insects start stumbling around blind, vomiting, and enraged at each other

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I like fighting insects a lot more than mechanoids. Centipedes are a pain in the rear end to deal with because they have low psychic sensitivity and wind up resisting EMPs after just a few blasts, whereas megaspiders are fully susceptible to all psycasts. You can easily bake insects in a heat trap while mechanoids just won't give a poo poo. You can very easily make an entire swarm of insects start stumbling around blind, vomiting, and enraged at each other

Both suck but yeah, mechanoids are more of a kick in the teeth.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

A bad infestation can really cost you an arm and a leg. :imunfunny:

just an excuse for an upgrade

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I vaguely recall reading that Biotech was also changing how pawns interacted and got romantically involved but it seems basically the same as before. Am I missing something?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jack Trades posted:

Thanks for the information everyone but I gotta say, I'm really not a fan of the idea of a raid spawning inside my base, rather than at the edge of the map.

Just remove bugs from the faction list at the start of the game

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I vaguely recall reading that Biotech was also changing how pawns interacted and got romantically involved but it seems basically the same as before. Am I missing something?

you can gene mod them so they psychically enslave the first person they flirt with

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Deketh posted:

Drop pod raids really brought an end to my last colony. How do you guys deal with those? I feel like you need to keep your colonists armoured at all times to be prepared but that is an issue in itself

It’d be cool if you could build a radar or scanner or something that would give you a heads up about incoming objects a minute or two before they appear.

“A small unknown signature is approaching your colony” could be a few pods of random stuff, a crash landed survivor, or whatever.

“A large unknown signature is approaching your colony”, could be a meteor, a drop pod raid, ship wreckage, etc etc.

Basically something that gives you time to get people ready for a possible emergency. And then it turns out it was a small meteor of sandstone and you just woke everyone up and wasted time grabbing armor in the middle of the night for nothing.

[Edit] you could even include false alarms if you wanted. “The signature has dispersed, perhaps whatever it was broke up it burned up in the atmosphere?” (Be funny if that result could cause toxic fog though) or “the signature has changed course significantly and is no longer heading towards your colony”.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 25, 2022

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
Rimatomics has a thing that does that for raids; you'll get a few hours notice for drop pod raids and a day or two for overland attacks. Sometimes they turn out to be false alarms. The upgraded version can also use stored energy to scramble incoming drop pods, making them fall at the edge of the map.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
I usually have little defensible armouries set up here and there. Few shelves of armour, shotguns, some sandbags, maybe some grenades. Zone them as Rally Point A/B/Team Discovery Channel, switch allowed areas when required.

Plus by the time I'm getting drop podded I've usually got at least one full-time "useless rear end in a top hat but good at murder" pawn hanging around, and one or two tamed bears or megasloths.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Is there a gene for Nimble in biotech? I wonder if melee pawns will be more viable with the right trait setups.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tiny Bug Child posted:

Rimatomics has a thing that does that for raids; you'll get a few hours notice for drop pod raids and a day or two for overland attacks. Sometimes they turn out to be false alarms. The upgraded version can also use stored energy to scramble incoming drop pods, making them fall at the edge of the map.

Factions expanded: ancients also includes flak cannons for can install that shoot down pods

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It’d be cool if you could build a radar or scanner or something that would give you a heads up about incoming objects a minute or two before they appear.

“A small unknown signature is approaching your colony” could be a few pods of random stuff, a crash landed survivor, or whatever.

“A large unknown signature is approaching your colony”, could be a meteor, a drop pod raid, ship wreckage, etc etc.

Basically something that gives you time to get people ready for a possible emergency. And then it turns out it was a small meteor of sandstone and you just woke everyone up and wasted time grabbing armor in the middle of the night for nothing.

[Edit] you could even include false alarms if you wanted. “The signature has dispersed, perhaps whatever it was broke up it burned up in the atmosphere?” (Be funny if that result could cause toxic fog though) or “the signature has changed course significantly and is no longer heading towards your colony”.

Now that would be great, given how long it can take to get colonists geared up

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Deketh posted:

Now that would be great, given how long it can take to get colonists geared up

air raid siren blares

"We got woken up for.... a bunch of drop pods of hot sauce???"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tiny Bug Child posted:

That’s cool. The mod looks a bit more chunky in features than what I’d want though. Not that interested in managing reactors.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

I think there is a mod that will show you incoming raids as war parties on the map. I think its RimWar, never used it so I don't know how well it works and you would have to be looking at the map to know there was a war party approaching. Neat idea though, it also shows normal caravans so makes the world more lively.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That’s cool. The mod looks a bit more chunky in features than what I’d want though. Not that interested in managing reactors.

The mod you are looking for is Called Preemptive Strike and is not updated for 1.4 yet, though IIrc its more raid focused

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

There used to be a mod called Preemptive Strike where each settlement had a vision radius and detection radius that could be expanded. Any incoming events were first sensed by the detected radius like "Small sky object incoming at fast speed" or "unknown human groups moving throug forest" and then once they moved into the vision radius you got more details on if it was a raid, a caravan, beggars, etc. You could even possibly bribe them to turn around.

It was a cool mod but as far as I know the original author never continued it past 1.1 and the maintainer decided to do no further updates and use RimWar instead, so as far as I know it's a dead mod.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

think it's VE insectoids expanded that has a device that stops burrowing insects entirely, instead triggering an edge-of-map raid of increased size

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

think it's VE insectoids expanded that has a device that stops burrowing insects entirely, instead triggering an edge-of-map raid of increased size

I like Thumper for that. It's probably not strictly balanced but the thumpers are big enough that they require some planning to use

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I turned infestations down to 0% and still had to fight off like five of them by now :mad:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Danaru posted:

I turned infestations down to 0% and still had to fight off like five of them by now :mad:

If you want them entirely gone you can just remove the Insectoid Geneline faction during game setup. You'll still see the occasional insectoid during ancient complex raids but they're otherwise gone.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Is Simple Sidearms still the go-to to let my dudes carry a knife or anything other than uselessly bashing targets with a rifle? Not planning to change mods at all until I'm done with my current 1.3 run, so "compatibility isn't ironed out yet" isn't a barrier, just seeing if there's anything newer that does it better.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Jack Trades posted:

Thanks for the information everyone but I gotta say, I'm really not a fan of the idea of a raid spawning inside my base, rather than at the edge of the map.

you can simply disable the bug faction at start you know, no one will get mad

Deketh posted:

there are mods that disable these raid strategies - I don't like them either, I use Turtle Friendly Raids
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2873687151&searchtext=turtle

oddly I like and am OK with a bunch of bugs and goop wrecking some interior things but I don't like the shooty mans falling from the sky and making GBS threads up my interior, go figure :shrug:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 25, 2022

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The previous system is unchanged but there is now also a "romance" button in the social tab that allows you to force a pawn to make a romantic advance on a pawn you choose. It shows you the % chance of success too. There's a 15 day cooldown so you can't have them spam romantic advances but it's extremely useful for kicking off relationships.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

SkyeAuroline posted:

Is Simple Sidearms still the go-to to let my dudes carry a knife or anything other than uselessly bashing targets with a rifle? Not planning to change mods at all until I'm done with my current 1.3 run, so "compatibility isn't ironed out yet" isn't a barrier, just seeing if there's anything newer that does it better.

I'm sure there are others but Simple Sidearms seems to work well for me.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

SkyeAuroline posted:

I like Pocket Sand as a replacement, it's a lot simpler so it tends to be more compatible with everything.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

there is now a mechanic to micromanage them if you want, you can look at each pawn's social tab and there's a couple of UI additions to manually make them flirt with another pawn (composited together in one pic, normally you wouldn't see both of these at once)

e: and no those do not require dev mode to be enabled

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My "human computer" fell in love with the grizzled old prospector incapable of doing thinky jobs while they were cowering together in the rec room from an invasion of yorkshire terriers and I think that's a story that can only happen in Rimworld and why I keep coming back after all these years :allears:

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Deketh posted:

Are you NOT supposed to have all your colonists battle-ready at all times?!

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Accidentally turned my researcher into a vampire because "extract xenogene" was further up the list than "carry to gene extractor" and I wasn't paying attention, so now my computer boy is going to get very very interesting!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I did it, I found the most defensible map

funnel every single enemy through a lake while they eat a hail of gunfire :yeshaha:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

death cob for cutie posted:

Ah, now I remember my biggest annoyance with RimWorld. Is there any way to automatically restrict pawns to an area when hostiles are on a map? I don't need you to go out and rearm that trap right now, buddy. You don't need to walk into grenade fire. it's not worth it!
It's manual, but you do it in two steps.
1. Define some safety area. I usually have one called "Compound" which is everything inside the walls and one called "Inside" which is everything inside the residence. You do this by going into the zone menu, clicking Allowed Area, then clicking "Manage allowed areas", which is the button that lets you actually create a new safety area.
2. When a baddy shows up, go into the Schedule menu (I know, I know) and slide the cursor down, sending everybody into Compound except non-combatants, who go into Inside.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Is there like a how to guide to draw in the rimworld art style?

it's not exactly in tutorial format but tynan has talked extensively about the rules of art style he set and is pretty helpful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdqhHKjepiE

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Reik posted:

Is there a gene for Nimble in biotech? I wonder if melee pawns will be more viable with the right trait setups.

there's one that reduces damage, and one that reduces pain, but not one for reducing hit chance.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's also the Unstoppable gene which makes them not get staggered when taking damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Danaru posted:

you want this, a mod that disables and enables incidents post-start (imo it's a great mod to have anyway because there are things the game will do to a tribal colony with bows and clubs that are complete bullshit, but with some research and gear they can handle it)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2347633285&searchtext=incident

e: vvvv

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's also the Unstoppable gene which makes them not get staggered when taking damage.

yeah that is tremendously useful

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 25, 2022