Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Dems sure do love cops though. Like sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G, love cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Tricky D posted:

Dems sure do love cops though. Like sitting in a tree, K I S S I N G, love cops.

They want me to vote for Val Demings lmao

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
like this?? *cringes and bows to every pig*

*polls plummet further* like this??? *puts on a clown hat and bows lower, smacking own head*

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a majority of dem voters love cops, too. as for the ones who aren't comfortable white liberals, what are they gonna do? not vote?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
in 2 weeks the democrats are going to be destroyed

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
oh no but without the senate how are they going to do jack poo poo for anyone ever

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

a majority of dem voters love cops, too. as for the ones who aren't comfortable white liberals, what are they gonna do? not vote?

Go to the Republican combination pizza party and voter registration events for free pizza and a free vote for Trump

Needless Ramblings
Oct 15, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/25/nyregion/hochul-zeldin-governor-ny.html

Red New York

Red New York!!!!!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Blue Texas

Blue Texas!!!!!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Oh on that topic does it look like the 3-4 state governments for a constitutional convention are in play? Or are we gonna have to wait until 2024 for that?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
lol

laws are just words :matters:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BostonGlobe/status/1584589555813998594

whoever has the gold makes the rules, vote!, etc.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ex post facho posted:

lol

lmao.

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

ex post facho posted:

lol

Sotomayor's friend

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

Oh on that topic does it look like the 3-4 state governments for a constitutional convention are in play? Or are we gonna have to wait until 2024 for that?

I think that just like with everything else a constitutional convention is one of those things that should the republicans ever find themselves with the magic number all of the sudden just enough resistance would materialize to squash it

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I think that just like with everything else a constitutional convention is one of those things that should the republicans ever find themselves with the magic number all of the sudden just enough resistance would materialize to squash it

Why do you think that? Tge republicans aren't crems. They want to do things.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

Why do you think that? Tge republicans aren't crems. They want to do things.

Maybe. I’ve been wrong before. But a constitutional convention is so destabilizing I don’t think the moneyed interests are going to be behind it and while the Republican Party has definitely purged more of its center then the Dems have I think there’s enough there to get a rotating villain or two if they need to kill it. Similar to the Obamacare repeal where I don’t think they actually wanted to do it but they had to throw the bone to their base so they got a handful of senators to kill it. I mean, the same forces at work behind the scenes of the Democratic Party are also at work behind the scenes of the Republican Party, and maybe not quite as influential but they’re still there

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Liberalism still has enough undemocratic levers to pull in case something happens that might actually significantly disrupt the status quo. The democrats might not get serious but the money men, mass media etc will, and them throwing trump out of office only required like 5% of what they could seriously utilize

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Idk im not sure trump would have lost if it weren't for covid

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

he could of easily won just by bribing the dumbos of the nation with another measly check

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Maybe. I’ve been wrong before. But a constitutional convention is so destabilizing I don’t think the moneyed interests are going to be behind it and while the Republican Party has definitely purged more of its center then the Dems have I think there’s enough there to get a rotating villain or two if they need to kill it. Similar to the Obamacare repeal where I don’t think they actually wanted to do it but they had to throw the bone to their base so they got a handful of senators to kill it. I mean, the same forces at work behind the scenes of the Democratic Party are also at work behind the scenes of the Republican Party, and maybe not quite as influential but they’re still there
The same logic was used about Roe tho. Like the common wisdom was they used it as a fundraiser just like the dems and didn't want it off the table. While there's definitely an element of the GOP who think like that the inmates are running the asylum now, especially at the state level.
I'd find an overreach argument more compelling tbh. Like they're not gonna do the dem thing and send out mass emails of "John please if we just control 2 more states I promise you we'll do our agenda! Donate now to this out of state race..." However if they actually get to constitutional convention control of states and they're loudly proclaiming it's to seize the assets of non-patriots and kick out CA and NY then we might see the moneyed interests step in and stop it -or enough voter backlash to turn a few states mixed vs republican controlled.

HallelujahLee posted:

he could of easily won just by bribing the dumbos of the nation with another measly check
Right, which is why McConnell and Pelosi worked hard to sink that. I remember having arguments with an acquaintance over FB about that maneuvering in October 2020, and the lib insisted poo poo like the procedural votes weren't theatre abd Nancy absolutely wanted to get everyone more money and was going to send out more checks than the lovely half measure just as soon as Biden won.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Oct 25, 2022

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

It would be nice if the democratic party hadn't completely collapsed in like 20 states so they could run candidates and stop that from happening but lmao

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I definitely believe that a major Party doesn't actually want to win the battle over abortion rights so that they can keep fundraising off the issue

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HallelujahLee posted:

he tried but McConnell stopped it I thought.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

he tried but McConnell stopped it I thought.

i thought he vaguely mentioned it and it never got anywhere but your probably right

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

he yelled about it but mcconnell said no and trump was too dumb and lazy to figure out how to fight back

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Coolness Averted posted:

The same logic was used about Roe tho. Like the common wisdom was they used it as a fundraiser just like the dems and didn't want it off the table. While there's definitely an element of the GOP who think like that the inmates are running the asylum now, especially at the state level.
I'd find an overreach argument more compelling tbh. Like they're not gonna do the dem thing and send out mass emails of "John please if we just control 2 more states I promise you we'll do our agenda! Donate now to this out of state race..." However if they actually get to constitutional convention control of states and they're loudly proclaiming it's to seize the assets of non-patriots and kick out CA and NY then we might see the moneyed interests step in and stop it -or enough voter backlash to turn a few states mixed vs republican controlled.

Right, which is why McConnell and Pelosi worked hard to sink that. I remember having arguments with an acquaintance over FB about that maneuvering in October 2020, and the lib insisted poo poo like the procedural votes weren't theatre abd Nancy absolutely wanted to get everyone more money and was going to send out more checks than the lovely half measure just as soon as Biden won.

Repealing Roe isn’t destabilizing in the way that a constitutional convention going off the rails would be. Roe repeal hurts a lot of people for sure, but it doesn’t cut into the core economic stability of the moneyed interests.

That’s why I think Obamacare repeal is a better analogue. That law sends a ton of money to insurance companies and their Wall Street backers, and when push came to shove just enough Republican senators killed the repeal

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the new constitution would probably just be written by ALEC with a couple culture war issues thrown in, just like all the state legislative programs have been. a national abortion ban wouldn't be terribly destabilizing to business as long as they throw in some easy items like abolishing corporate taxes, making political candidates subject to judicial approval, taking away the right to vote if you've ever been arrested, etc

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shear Modulus posted:

the new constitution would probably just be written by ALEC with a couple culture war issues thrown in, just like all the state legislative programs have been. a national abortion ban wouldn't be terribly destabilizing to business as long as they throw in some easy items like abolishing corporate taxes, making political candidates subject to judicial approval, taking away the right to vote if you've ever been arrested, etc

Right, this is why I don't think there would be too much material obstacles to a convention unless it was broadcast very early that some DeSantis level idiots were potentially gonna upset the applecart for cheap heat on culture war stuff.
But we're all speculating anyway. gently caress they might not even need a constitutional convention if the SC just gives them 6-3 decisions giving them everything they want while dems huff and moan about how that's not right!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Shear Modulus posted:

the new constitution would probably just be written by ALEC

The 1st amendment will only apply to vlogs

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm not convinced they would achieve much more for the conservative project w/ a convention. It seems to loud and destabilizing, the current strategy has yielded them decades of legislative protection (unless an oppositional party effectively abolishes the judiciary, which, lol. Not happening) which they can go wild with whenever they hold a political majority. Even if they lose 2 years of upper chamber control here or there it doesn't matter in the long run. Corporations already aren't taxed, real estate speculators write every law in the country and they're guaranteed to overturn civil liberties victories of the last couple of decades though the courts. What more would a reactionary party need to accomplish

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Idk im not sure trump would have lost if it weren't for covid

2020 was closer than 2016. It was so close that literally anything would have shifted the outcome I think. Maybe if Pfizer had announced the vaccine a week earlier

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
In 2020 trump got more votes than he did in 2016, he could have definitely won if things had been a little different

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Right, this is why I don't think there would be too much material obstacles to a convention unless it was broadcast very early that some DeSantis level idiots were potentially gonna upset the applecart for cheap heat on culture war stuff.
But we're all speculating anyway. gently caress they might not even need a constitutional convention if the SC just gives them 6-3 decisions giving them everything they want while dems huff and moan about how that's not right!

yeah the coup of instituting rule by judge is more or less complete already

e: if you take an expansive view you could also say that we had moved from sort-of democracy to judicial rule by 2000 when the court threw out the results of the presidential election and awarded it to bush

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Oct 25, 2022

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mayor Dave posted:

In 2020 trump got more votes than he did in 2016, he could have definitely won if things had been a little different
yeah all it would have taken is biden being a little better about convincing his primary voters in swing states covid was worth risking to go to the polls, or trump doing a worse job of convincing his voters it was no big deal

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

lot of election denying going on in the last 2 posts. seems like a threat to Our Democracy. I'm reporting this to the fbi.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Coolness Averted posted:

yeah all it would have taken is biden being a little better about convincing his primary voters in swing states covid was worth risking to go to the polls, or trump doing a worse job of convincing his voters it was no big deal

The Dems in my state tried to kill mail ballots for the primary and the GOP sec of state had to tell them to gently caress off lmao

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Last week of October

Gas is still close to $4 a gallon, house prices and mortgage rates have made ownership almost impossible for the bottom 75%, grocery store prices are out of control and people are getting a fresh reminder as they shop for Halloween candy

You don't need to read the tea leaves or the latest godawful Nate Bronze post, the dems are toast baby

:cheers:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
They forgot to legalize weed and they're going to lose the senate because of it lmao

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Private Cumshoe posted:

They forgot to legalize weed and they're going to lose the senate because of it lmao

Oops, forgot to do politics!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Private Cumshoe posted:

Lol I was curious so I was looking at Halloween candy last time I was at the grocery store and the loving 2lb bag of Halloween sized candies I usually pick up to give to kids is $17 this year lmao. I think it was $10 last year