Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Sub Rosa posted:

I use Unlimited on Tello on T-Mobile's network. "Unlimited" is 25GB and I think you can tether for all of it. $29 a month.

Ended up going with Visible instead of T-Mo; similar feature set for a bit less monthly. Seems to work well so far even if I don't have a physical sim for the service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Did anyone else get a T-Mobile settlement text the other day?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yep I also got one. I guess it's legit?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
There's even a snopes article for the settlement too, since sending legit texts is met with hesitation. Looks like the only way it really pays out is if your identity was compromised and you paid out of pocket to repair it. But $100 for just living in California seems fine to me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is TMo known to engage in any sort of throttling/shaping for older plans? Wife and I are on one of the older One Plus plans and I swear my data service has been going from "meh" to "poo poo". Between that and a giant dead zone in the middle of town I'm getting very tempted to jump ship.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

Is TMo known to engage in any sort of throttling/shaping for older plans? Wife and I are on one of the older One Plus plans and I swear my data service has been going from "meh" to "poo poo". Between that and a giant dead zone in the middle of town I'm getting very tempted to jump ship.

I think this is general network problems vs anything targeting older plans. Supposedly they are doing "tower upgrades" but these upgrades seem to make service terrible for weeks/months on end.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 26, 2022

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Ended up going with Visible instead of T-Mo; similar feature set for a bit less monthly. Seems to work well so far even if I don't have a physical sim for the service.

Visible is what I had just before. I dumped it because when I visited cities I had basically no data because of being de-prioritized to hell.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Sub Rosa posted:

Visible is what I had just before. I dumped it because when I visited cities I had basically no data because of being de-prioritized to hell.

I did the $45/mo to fend off some of the de-prio and I’ll be about 40 minutes outside a major city in a few days. Future roomie has Verizon & says she gets good coverage in the area.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I did the $45/mo to fend off some of the de-prio and I’ll be about 40 minutes outside a major city in a few days. Future roomie has Verizon & says she gets good coverage in the area.

definitely curious to hear how this goes for you, i just switched from t-mobile prepaid to the $45 visible plan because they're one of the few prepaid plans that supports a smartwatch.

so far haven't noticed any data issues in the burbs, but haven't been to any dense urban areas yet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Kramdar posted:

There's even a snopes article for the settlement too, since sending legit texts is met with hesitation. Looks like the only way it really pays out is if your identity was compromised and you paid out of pocket to repair it. But $100 for just living in California seems fine to me.

When I was reading through it, it seemed like the average person could claim a limited amount of hours and say that it was personal time spent to "change password" because of the data breach. So may be worth pursuing for that.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Bad Purchase posted:

definitely curious to hear how this goes for you, i just switched from t-mobile prepaid to the $45 visible plan because they're one of the few prepaid plans that supports a smartwatch.

so far haven't noticed any data issues in the burbs, but haven't been to any dense urban areas yet.

I'm landing at my new locale on Friday; I report back in at some point over the weekend & give an update.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Does there exist a 5G USB stick for T-mobile? I’ve scanned their website and unable to find anything above LTE. Curious to see if it’s available or just not a thing.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

TraderStav posted:

Does there exist a 5G USB stick for T-mobile? I’ve scanned their website and unable to find anything above LTE. Curious to see if it’s available or just not a thing.

I think you can get a third party stick that can receive a SIM

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

The sticks are mostly dead. You can plug up tr mobile hotspots directly to a computer and it functions the same way. So why make two devices, when the hotspot can replicate what the stick did ?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Duckman2008 posted:

The sticks are mostly dead. You can plug up tr mobile hotspots directly to a computer and it functions the same way. So why make two devices, when the hotspot can replicate what the stick did ?

Ah, didn't think of the hotspot. Will have to check that one out. Thanks!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Bad Purchase posted:

No issues thus far; in rural Indiana near Ft. Wayne. No problems, in fact, driving from New Orleans up here. I’ve been rather impressed so far!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thanks for the info.

i also ended up making a trip to Orlando, FL over the weekend and had no signal or data issue at all even in a pretty packed mall and the hellscape that is ikea. pleased with the visible service so far.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

T-Mobile has a promo starting today for unlimited home internet for $25/mo for life

Does NOT require Magenta Max either

https://www.t-mobile.com/home-internet

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just ordered 3 tmobile sims to see if their stuff works on my LG G8X international phone. Might be ok, but my Samsung S10e which are verizon branded are prolly poo poo out of luck.. I have no idea but I will test.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

I just ordered 3 tmobile sims to see if their stuff works on my LG G8X international phone. Might be ok, but my Samsung S10e which are verizon branded are prolly poo poo out of luck.. I have no idea but I will test.

The S10e should work fine on T-Mobile.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

The S10e should work fine on T-Mobile.

Really? Even verizon branded? I hope the G8X works since thats my favorite phone and being international, it has all available bands as far as I can tell.

[edit] I got into the service menu on the G8X and found Band 71 and tried it, and yeah the phone lost its verizon lte connection. This seems hopefuly.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 10, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Really? Even verizon branded? I hope the G8X works since thats my favorite phone and being international, it has all available bands as far as I can tell.

[edit] I got into the service menu on the G8X and found Band 71 and tried it, and yeah the phone lost its verizon lte connection. This seems hopefuly.

Yeah , Samsung makes the same phone for the high end ones now, cdma is long dead.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

These have become a lot less common, but if you did want to add another free line, that is potentially an option at the moment:

https://tmo.report/2022/12/t-mobile-will-likely-offer-a-free-line-for-the-holidays-with-catches/

Differences from this one vs last ones:

• Maybe not everyone is eligible? Easiest way to find out is TForce/chat. I'm on a Magenta Max plan with insider + a ton of free lines and got it.
  • You can't stack device promos on top of the free line like you previously could
  • Free line goes away if you make changes in the next 12 months
  • You still have to pay the dumb $35 fee

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
How long do these specials last btw? Specifically the home internet and the extra lines promotions?

Definitely possibly interested (our home net has been getting rather high price-wise lately but I wasn’t sure how good it is) but may need to move peoples lines around to make things work.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Trip report, put the sim cards into Samsung S10e, the phone wanted to reboot followed by it formatting its data and then a tmobile logo pops up when the phone boots. Everythign works.
LG G8x: LTE works, nice speeds, cannot make Volte calls. No way to turn on. Probably need to hack the phone to get that working.. not sure.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

redeyes posted:

LG G8x: LTE works, nice speeds, cannot make Volte calls. No way to turn on. Probably need to hack the phone to get that working.. not sure.

Seems like it's possible to add VoLTE under some circumstances.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Maneki Neko posted:

These have become a lot less common, but if you did want to add another free line, that is potentially an option at the moment:

https://tmo.report/2022/12/t-mobile-will-likely-offer-a-free-line-for-the-holidays-with-catches/

Differences from this one vs last ones:

• Maybe not everyone is eligible? Easiest way to find out is TForce/chat. I'm on a Magenta Max plan with insider + a ton of free lines and got it.
  • You can't stack device promos on top of the free line like you previously could
  • Free line goes away if you make changes in the next 12 months
  • You still have to pay the dumb $35 fee

I talked to three reps who all said my account doesn’t qualify. I just added a line (esim option online) and it gave me the free line promo discount anyways. Thanks. :tipshat:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am on this T-Mobile One promo with two lines all in for $100 even w/ taxes included, with $10 kick back if a line uses below 2GB.

I am never eligible for a free line promotion. I have a kid that will eventually have a cell phone, and I'd love to not cancel my plan one of these days because I need to add a third line.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm on that same plan in the same situation. I think eventually switching off of it for a Magenta plan will make more sense, unfortunately.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Seiyal posted:

How long do these specials last btw? Specifically the home internet and the extra lines promotions?

Definitely possibly interested (our home net has been getting rather high price-wise lately but I wasn’t sure how good it is) but may need to move peoples lines around to make things work.

Extra lines I haven't seen an explicit end date reported, but I'm not sure Tmobile even officially announced this one so generally good to move quickly if you can.

Astro7x posted:

I am on this T-Mobile One promo with two lines all in for $100 even w/ taxes included, with $10 kick back if a line uses below 2GB.

I am never eligible for a free line promotion. I have a kid that will eventually have a cell phone, and I'd love to not cancel my plan one of these days because I need to add a third line.

I was on that plan and found a very nice TForce person who was able to switch me over to Magenta Max and kept my free lines and insider discount. I did lose my kickback discount as that's not compatible at all with Magenta plans, but it ended up being a wash with the additional free lines I've been able to add. Certainly worth a try if you want to stick with TMobile if you can have it be a lateral move. I don't trust regular support enough to try it with them though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Good to know. I honestly rarely get the kickback discount these days.... it was VERY NICE in 2020 when I was barely leaving the house and on WiFi, now I'm regularly going over 2GB.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like the extra line deal is already dead but the $25 home internet deal is still going.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So I did swap from verizon to tmobile. 2 phones worked perfect. I ordered up a used S10e from Swappa.com.
Put the Tmobile sim in it, I get 4G for about 1 minute and then the phone shits its pants and says it cannot activate on verison and call support. I called support, the phone is unlocked but cannot be activated because????????? No one can answer this. I guess I'll just return it but wtf is going on?!

redeyes fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 23, 2022

LegitMaan
Mar 10, 2005

Does T-Mobile sometimes forget to throttle international data passes when the cap is reached? I just got the text that my 512MB pass is used up but I’m still downloading and streaming like nothing. Speedtest is showing 100 down/60 up. I’m not complaining but I hope there aren’t some secret charges piling on.

Edit: Nevermind, for some reason they gave me 5GB for free twice this billing cycle.

LegitMaan fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 30, 2022

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

With the free year of paramount+, should it bill my account $9.99? Will I get that reimbursed? Or am I not eligible for the free deal because I got it free last year?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The terms say you get 1 code per account. I was never charged anything for my year. And when I went to cancel they offered me more free months

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So I lost a phone and ordered a new SIM card but I think because t mobile doesn’t pay the phone people unless they sell they just added a new line. Is this normal? Also instead of sending me a SIM card they sent me a package with a a slip of paper that said it was coming in a different package?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

So I lost a phone and ordered a new SIM card but I think because t mobile doesn’t pay the phone people unless they sell they just added a new line. Is this normal? Also instead of sending me a SIM card they sent me a package with a a slip of paper that said it was coming in a different package?

Yeah, I’m not T-Mobile , but that’s super weird, so I would call their customer care number and make sure A. You get your SIM card and B. That nothing was added to your bill.

Even if it’s “no cost,” poo poo should never be added to your account without making sure you are aware of it. Especially a line add.

It’s def possible they get commission, but that’s still dumb because A. One sale isn’t worth risking one’s job and B. Any sales have somewhere around a 6 month chargeback time period, so there’s no point on slamming an add, people will eventually figure it out, get angry call and cancel and you lose the money anyway.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Bought a Tmobile S10e. Got it in, after loving with it for days, I come to find the god drat thing is a Sprint phone that is still locked to their network. Same BS as Verizon, must be used on said network for 60 days to get it unlocked.. which will never happen. They would not unlock it either after calling support. I hate cell phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Bought a Tmobile S10e. Got it in, after loving with it for days, I come to find the god drat thing is a Sprint phone that is still locked to their network. Same BS as Verizon, must be used on said network for 60 days to get it unlocked.. which will never happen. They would not unlock it either after calling support. I hate cell phones.

Order a phone direct from T-Mobile and get whatever promo ? Sucks that it’s a 2 year contract, but they probably have promotions.

Or buy direct from Samsung ?