Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Going by what I see on Twitter these PSAs really, really did not work lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

mortons stork posted:

they recently built a shopping mall right behind me (which is bad) but they also added a couple footpaths and added extra streets that lead to it directly, which is nice since the shopping mall connects radially to other places i want to go and the footpaths are legit car-free zones, connecting to a metro station, which is pretty cool

anyway accessing the footpaths requires crossing a boulevard which was made into a protected pedestrian crossing with a traffic light. you have to push the button, then it brings 4 lanes of traffic to a full stop for 30 or so seconds while you cross. drivers loving hate the new pedestrian crossing. how do i know? all of the buttons to call for a pedestrian green light have been vandalized and sabotaged and no longer work. repeatedly. tactical urbanism folks!
i know its on purpose because theres a whole bunch of protected crossings in my area but this is the only one that gets sabotaged.
god i hate automobiles and drivers

scatter nails in the road at night.

dont actually do that though.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol what

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

what a loving idiot

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

ArmZ posted:

scatter nails in the road at night.

(sung to the tune of 'Blackbird')

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

He says he didn't take a train because he had to be on zoom calls the whole way. Not really weird that he'd have to pay extra for what is essentially a private, moving conference room.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Honestly, great use case and pricing scheme for cars right there. I guess our trains don't have conference rooms that you can rent like in other places.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Honestly, great use case and pricing scheme for cars right there. I guess our trains don't have conference rooms that you can rent like in other places.

Anywhere's a conference room if you're white man enough

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean if he absolutely feels he needs that and it's worth paying for because his time is so valuable and he needs to be on zoom calls, then fine, but he shouldn't complain about having to pay the tolls in both directions when he's taking an uber into another state

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trains have wifi there is no reason he couldn't zoom on the train.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
they do actually have the option to rent a conference room on the italian high speed trains here. they call it executive level service and it costs >$200, which lol. but i guess if you have that narrow of a use case its a hell of a lot comfier than zooming in a car

not that anybody cares about inconveniencing other passengers, most of my experience here on high speed rail is execs shouting in their phone to coworkers about this or that and loudly announcing that since the train was entering a tunnel they'd have to pick back up in a few minutes. i imagine most of them have even less issues just zooming the whole way through on a normal rear end train car

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mortons stork posted:

they do actually have the option to rent a conference room on the italian high speed trains here.

mama mia!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mortons stork posted:

they do actually have the option to rent a conference room on the italian high speed trains here. they call it executive level service and it costs >$200, which lol. but i guess if you have that narrow of a use case its a hell of a lot comfier than zooming in a car

Literally everything is more comfy in a train, where you can actually relax, stretch your legs or even combine going places with working.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BonHair posted:

Anywhere's a conference room if you're white man enough

if you're white man enough you have your calendar blocked for when you travel and do not give a single gently caress

honestly even if you're not particularly white man, you just say "nope" lol

nothing that can be done on a zoom meeting is possibly emergent or important enough

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Some new crossing signals are being added to a crosswalk I pass daily, and someone drove over and destroyed one of them before the work was even finished lol

The city built an RRFB in a high incident location on the main cycle path, and it has been repeatedly vandalized to uselessness ever since. It's one of the ones where there had to be a grant, because the intersection really could have used better sight lines instead, but no one wants to pay for a city employee to cut the thicket.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Junkozeyne posted:

If by street cars they means light rail why would you get rid of them in order to get more buses, they are superior in every way but cost (both money and intial effort)

The bus is a relative of the car, so it's alright. Trains and (even worse) bicycles are products of communism and must be destroyed at every possibility.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Buses don't deserve to be compared to cars I'm sorry but despite their flaws they still own whereas cars are terrible 99% of the time

mystes
May 31, 2006

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The city built an RRFB in a high incident location on the main cycle path, and it has been repeatedly vandalized to uselessness ever since
I'm not sure that would require a lot of vandalism

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

It's my right as an american to inconvenience people, possibly to death

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Milo and POTUS posted:

Buses don't deserve to be compared to cars I'm sorry but despite their flaws they still own whereas cars are terrible 99% of the time

We covered this earlier, 4 wheels bad 2 wheels good

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The city built an RRFB in a high incident location on the main cycle path, and it has been repeatedly vandalized to uselessness ever since. It's one of the ones where there had to be a grant, because the intersection really could have used better sight lines instead, but no one wants to pay for a city employee to cut the thicket.

Installing a bollard is a day of hard work, requires a bunch of power tools, and costs a few hundred $$$ of materials. Box of nails is about $25 and that poo poo falls off the back of contractors' trucks all the time.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

distortion park posted:

as a visitor i liked it. the town center is pleasant to walk around and the transport is excellent. Munich was the city I've been most surprised by recently, so many cyclists, cargo bikes and pedestrians, in a fairly large area around the city centre. It's obviously reached the tipping point where at least a few people feel confident enough to take their kids in a bike bucket, London is still way off that. Munich also has a very good (although expensive to use as a visitor) suburban and underground rail network. Worth reading the wikipedia page and taking a look at the expansion plans and construction costs if you want to get depressed

Lived in Munich for a summer and loved it. Never once had a use for a car, I could walk/bike/train wherever I needed to go.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's my right as an american to inconvenience people, possibly to death

I don't think that video is american op

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
also I think the british are actually way worse for parking on sidewalks than most of america somehow

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
maybe it just seems that way because more of britain has sidewalks though lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

American streets and parking lots are bigger. Less need to park on the sidewalk.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

American streets and parking lots are bigger. Less need to park on the sidewalk.

but it's a cheap and legal thrill

mystes
May 31, 2006

mystes posted:

The only sane solution in a situation like that would be to say "oh ok kids are crossing in this spot so we'll put in a traffic light so they can cross safely"

the way everything in the us is actually like "we don't want to slow cars so we'll just remove the crosswalk and then blame the kids who have to cross when they get run over" is disgusting
Case in point: https://www.reddit.com/gallery/yd4egz

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

theres a bunch of apartments and restaurants where I live so people cross the road wherever they feel like it and the cars have to wait. feels good. though on the weekends you have to watch out for the drivers not in the know that block the sidewalk when turning and roll through stop signs

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
lmao not content with just axing the focus, ford is now dropping the fiesta in lieu of selling more 'compact SUVs' :allears:

quote:

The popular Ford Fiesta is set to be discontinued as early as next year as costs of parts rise and drivers opt for SUVs, the BBC understands.
[...]
it is thought the Puma, a smaller, hybrid, SUV, will take the lead as the more affordable option as Ford puts more of its focus on design. It has already dropped the Focus model too, without an electric version tipped for production.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63391466

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
smart move. americans only want SUVs

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

Truly, this has never happened before, and bit the car companies in the rear end, hard.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
i had the supreme american experience

took a rock to the window on a highway that i was driving because my elderly father lives in a zero-transit area and needed to be taken to the doctor and whoops nothing but uber and uber refuses service to anyone who can't use a cellphone. love how it's ableist to ask for walkable cities but apparently it's not ableist to demand everyone be forced to drive a car

then when getting the windshield fixed they ran out of resin so i had to come back another time

after i came back and got it fixed i promptly got rear-ended 100' from the shop. at a red light. after i'd been stopped for a good 20 seconds.

a+++++ excellent service, would destroy streetcars for automobiles again

being forced to drive 18 hours a loving week every week this month has reminded me just how much i hate every second im forced into that cage. i'd almost completely cut out driving in favor of never leaving my hovel before that.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Xaris posted:

you can have any car you want in the US, as long as its an SUV.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Harik posted:

being forced to drive 18 hours a loving week every week this month has reminded me just how much i hate every second im forced into that cage. i'd almost completely cut out driving in favor of never leaving my hovel before that.

Everyone else hates being stuck driving eighteen hours a week too, and that's why everyone drives like a raged-out toddler

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Everyone else hates being stuck driving eighteen hours a week too, and that's why everyone drives like a raged-out toddler

6 hours a day, 3 days a week. 30 minute break while he's at his appointment. it's way way worse than any commute i've endured.

got to witness the fresh aftermath of someone nodding off doing 75 last time too, a car half its original length in a construction zone, in the center lane. nearly hit it at highway speed and so did everyone else so it can't have happened longer than 30 seconds before i got there.

pretty sure they drifted off the road and into the jersey barrier, judging by the very large construction barrel permanently embedded in their engine compartment and conspicuous lack of other crushed vehicles.

hope my 911 call saved them but it's likely they're just one of the 45k.

probably the 4th fatal accident i've seen this month, come to think of it. which makes sense, i-4 racks the highest pile of corpses per mile in the nation and it's not even close.

e: impossible to find anything about it because there's so many fatal wrecks on i-4 that even when you narrow it down to the intersection there's dozens of them

Harik has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Oct 25, 2022

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Can't spell "carbon free" without "car" explain that???? Didn't think so

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'll never understand how an electric motor attached to some bogies is more expensive to maintain than an ICE engine + transmission + everything that goes into them.

Our city's trolley bus system was shut down because of the huge maintenance cost of the lines and associated transformers etc. This isn't such a problem for trams as a driver can't rip the lines down by taking a corner wrong, or dropping the trolleys.

This wouldn't have been an issue if upgrades and basic maintenance weren't completely ignored because of 3 decades of neoliberalism.

Now we're getting a bad light rail service that won't be operational till 2040 lmao

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm always referencing Philadelphia, but there are actually blocks so narrow that you must park half on the street, half on the sidewalk. The taxonomy is

2 way traffic, street parking both sides
1 way traffic, street parking both sides
1 way traffic, street parking one side
1 way traffic, street/sidewalk parking one side
No street parking at all, too narrow for most vehicles, sometimes there's garages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The ultra tiny streets have great vibes and are thickly forested with bollards and planters