Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Y’all, another goon already posted a link to the comments that detail how she is a victim of of sexual assault where a group of men trapped her in a house and she had to escape out a window, and also that she views all men as a potential threat. There isn’t much point in further debating it because she obviously does have an aversion/fear around men, and for very good reasons.

ON the more lighthearted shaving story, this is what I saw when I clicked the link to every shaving argument ever:

The ads could not be more perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

The shaving one just annoys me because I don't think it's a very reasonable request to make of someone you're not really dating and/or have never slept with. Like, in a long-term relationship, sure, discuss your preferences on that and maybe you make some concessions for your partner. But some people have sensitive skin and shaving is not sustainable if you don't enjoy perpetual discomfort.

Trimming is a much more reasonable ask, except then you have to go to the effort of finding a good "personal" trimmer and then finding somewhere to store it where people won't accidentally shave their faces with it.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i don't think many requests are unreasonable at all as long as you're willing to do the same for them. they're not demands (or, well, they shouldn't be...)

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

That's fair, everyone's got their own preferences, I suppose if you can be polite when articulating them, no harm as long as everyone can accept "no" as an answer. And if everyone involved has some grasp of basic hygiene, in that particular situation.

Here's a twist on the trope of "I was forced to make a cake/dress/seven-course meal for my friend's wedding"...

WIBTA if I didn't hire our friends for our wedding (photography/videography)?

quote:

I will do my best to keep this brief.

My fiancé and I are getting married next June, and fully in the thick of planning. We live in Los Angeles, and have many creative friends with a variety of talents - photography, videography, modeling, film making, DJing, etc. We have collaborated together with these friends on photo shoots, films, music videos, and more. However, none of these friends work in the wedding industry, or on the wedding-side of their entertainment industries.

I've been planning our wedding myself and doing a lot of research, and every source I can find says to not skimp on the photographer or videographer. As I understand it, weddings are very specific, complex events that require a lot of knowledge to shoot - not just technical know-how for photography, but specific social skills too, for wrangling relatives into photos, delicately cropping out in-butting heads, and making smart choices when it comes to handling distracting guests. I have read countless stories about how the bride or groom's father/mother/uncle/aunt/adult child/coworker/whoever was a professional photographer, a journalist, a model, in art school, attending classes; they had a DSLR, a mirrorless camera, an adventure cam, a 70mm film cinema camera; WHATEVER, so the couple chose to skip a wedding photographer or videographer, and after the wedding the photos/videos came out terrible because even if the volunteer was otherwise a "pro" at photography, they didn't have experience with weddings.

I understand that in many of these nightmare wedding situations, the so-called "photographer" was probably just a relative with an expensive camera. I fully concede that our friends specifically are better skilled, and I know they are talented! But I still hesitate, because photographing models and products in planned shoots is incredibly different from shooting a wedding.

I was of the opinion that it was more polite and better etiquette to invite your friends to be guests so they can enjoy the party, and hire professionals to be pros who are doing a job. However, apparently, many of our friends have taken offense that I haven't asked them to be involved in our wedding in their area of specific expertise. Specifically, I have heard that we have offended our photographer and DJ friends. I'm at a loss, because apparently part of the argument is "you will get such a better deal than hiring some stranger!", but I thought you weren't supposed to ask friends for discounts on their services because that is insulting. At this point, I feel like I've done everything wrong, when I tried to do things right.

So, reddit - WIBTA if I didn't ask our friends to be our wedding photographer or videographer, even though I know they are talented in their fields and better than your average "joe schmoe with a fancy camera"?

Bride: We just want you to sit back and enjoy our wedding!
Friends: How dare you!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

kimbo305 posted:

It exists: https://trips4w.com/f-a-q/

an earlier service got shut down cuz they said they would only pick up women.
This one allows the women drivers to reject riders they don't want to drive, presumably with less penalty.

Ooooo.
Hopefully they start doing this in LA. I can't loving drive there and poo poo gets weird.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
A friend has a side gig offering a 'two middle-aged mums in a van do your light DIY' service. She gets a couple days a week painting rooms and putting up shelves for decent pay, the little old ladies get some non-threatening cheerful banter, and nobody has to see a painter's hairy arsecrack who doesn't want to. Everybody happy.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hey, it's me. I enjoy being the photographer at friends' weddings, gives me something to do, makes them happy, and it's an easy high-value low-cost wedding present.

But I wait to be asked, after my wife (/assistant/social wrangler) has hinted that I might be up for it - in a way they can just ignore if they want someone else, or don't like my style. And we have wedding experience (that poster's right that it's not a walk in the park).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

WIBTA if I didn't hire our friends for our wedding (photography/videography)?
apparently part of the argument is "you will get such a better deal than hiring some stranger!", but I thought you weren't supposed to ask friends for discounts on their services because that is insulting

Bride: We just want you to sit back and enjoy our wedding!
Friends: How dare you!

Maybe it's just LA, but I at least understand if these friends, even if talented, are desperate for some work.

Even more LA:
> a 70mm film cinema camera

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe it's just LA, but I at least understand if these friends, even if talented, are desperate for some work.

Even more LA:
> a 70mm film cinema camera

Maybe they need the exposure!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

therobit posted:

Maybe they need the exposure!

booooooo

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Have some sympathy, they don't deserve to have their businesses shuttered.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It seems they're out of their depth within their field. Might be worth it to refocus.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

F-stop this at once!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

this conversation is pretty celluloid

did I do it right??

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
As usual some of you are projecting.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
let's shutter this conversation.

quote:

AITA for missing my FIL's funeral after my MIL booked my husband first class but me ecconomy?

quote:

Me f31 and my MIL don't have a close relstionship. She's civil towards me but can be a bit passive aggressive at times and we tend to disagree often times.

We live in a different state. FIL passed away suddenly and MIL told me and my husband to come attend the funeral. She booked our tickets to fly to her state. But the issue started when my husband told me that we couldn't sit together in the plane because his mom had booked him a first class ticket while I got ecconomy. I was flabbergasted by this. I tried asking him why but he urged me to "suck it up, and we'll talk about it later". In that moment, that particular moment I felt so much humiliation and contempt. I felt like she was treating me as less then even in her hard times. I decided to not go and just go back home. My husband was shocked by my decision to go home and tried to convince me to just go but I declined.

He went alone and I ended up missing the funeral. He was livid just calling m3 and texting nasty things calling me petty and spoiled. He said that I should be grateful his mom paid for my ticket to begin with then said that she doesn't OWE me a Goddamn thing. I argued about how she could've just booked us both in economy if money was an issue but he called me pathetic for thinking about it when his dad just died. He said it was cruel what I did and that his mom and family will never forget that I missed the funeral over ridiculous reasons.

AITA for going home over this?

ETA. One of the reasons I didn't settle for the ecconomy ticket was because I wanted to sit next to my husband and support him. He sobbed the whole ride to the airport and I didn't want to leave his side. I was shocked when he told me we couldn't sit together, and how he said it like he had no issue with it.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

cumpantry posted:

AITA for missing my FIL's funeral after my MIL booked my husband first class but me ecconomy?

"you can't be petty at a time like this," says the person who is being incredibly petty at a time like this

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

cumpantry posted:

Yeah, pretty much. Free tickets are free tickets. While buying the bereaved a first class ticket is an rear end in a top hat move, turning down an economy ticket provided for free is also really petty and stupid and you would have flown economy if it were your money.

Also, would have been entirely possible to say "Hey, I want to sit next to my wife in steerage, you, lucky stranger in 48B, can trade me for the big chair". Or try to trade cash or points for two first class flights.

This was a solvable problem rendered unsolvable by lovely people, and a missed opportunity to talk poo poo on the mother-in-law to all the cousins-in-law.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol I would have turned down that lovely ticket to. Play stupid games win stupid prizes

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

maybe if she took the ticket and flew to the funeral the MIL wouldn't have treated her like poo poo when she got there

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol I would have turned down that lovely ticket to. Play stupid games win stupid prizes

yeah same, especially if it was just the latest episode in a pattern of MIL treating me like poo poo and my husband telling me to "suck it up, and we'll talk about it later"

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

dad was an rear end in a top hat and a messy drama slut, he would have wanted it this way *sniffles*

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for quitting my job and getting a coworker fired?

but jeff stayed up all night coming up with that line

"Comic store backroom wifing ceremony" works both as a thread title and a writing prompt for a short horror story.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

"you can't be petty at a time like this," says the person who is being incredibly petty at a time like this

“Suck it up,” says the person who is given the privilege of preferential treatment. It’s easy for him to say.

If it’s not that big a deal, the fucker can swap seats.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ponzicar posted:

"Comic store backroom wifing ceremony" works both as a thread title and a writing prompt for a short horror story.

I can't hear it anything other than purest Royston Vasey. A suitably gorgeous female has been selected for the wifing ceremony! Bring her to the backroom! We must all bear flowers!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

“Suck it up,” says the person who is given the privilege of preferential treatment. It’s easy for him to say.

Alternatively, give the seat to his wife.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

ponzicar posted:

Sounds like a Japanese adult video title.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Slo-Tek posted:

Also, would have been entirely possible to say "Hey, I want to sit next to my wife in steerage, you, lucky stranger in 48B, can trade me for the big chair". Or try to trade cash or points for two first class flights.

this seems like the actual "let's not make a big deal of it" solution, but i guess that would have been too much effort for hubby

e: and/or he doesn't want his mom attacking him instead of his wife

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

The Alchemist posted:

Sounds like a Japanese adult video title.

Or one of those made-up sex moves on Urban Dictionary.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

this seems like the actual "let's not make a big deal of it" solution, but i guess that would have been too much effort for hubby

e: and/or he doesn't want his mom attacking him instead of his wife

Husband could have won big, but instead he tried to stuff that baggage overhead and found that no, actually, it needs to be checked.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Foo Diddley posted:

yeah same, especially if it was just the latest episode in a pattern of MIL treating me like poo poo and my husband telling me to "suck it up, and we'll talk about it later"

Yeah if husband had put his foot down with his mom being passive aggressive towards his wife this wouldn't be an issue. Stand up for who you marry, it's not a hard concept

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

dad was an rear end in a top hat and a messy drama slut, he would have wanted it this way *sniffles*

This really made me laugh, thank you.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

As someone who has been in an incredibly similar situation, you call up the airline and downgrade seats to sit by your partner or the person next to your partner a “free” upgrade.

Why would you want to be away from your partner in such an emotionally devastating time? That dude is a prick.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 25, 2022

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

edogawa rando posted:

Come on, those people in first class don't want to hear a grown man weep for four hours. He should be back in economy, crying's normal there

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for moving out because I don’t want to help my bf out with the rent?

quote:

My boyfriend(26M) and I(24F) have been together for 3 years. We live in NYC and he makes over $200k/year, while I’m studying for my masters in social work and have no income. Right now I’m doing an unpaid, yearlong internship 3 days/week, as well as classes 2 days/week. It’s rare to get a paid internship in social work, plus internships are mandatory. I spend 12 hours everyday either working, studying, commuting, or in class. My only free days are on weekends so I have no time for a paid job. My mom helps me financially by paying for my metrocard and healthcare expenses, but everything else I rely on loans.

Before I moved in with my boyfriend there was a roach infestation in my apartment so I'd stay over at his place a lot. My lease was ending soon so he asked me if I wanted to live with him. At first I joked with him that his living standards would go down since I can’t afford a nice place, but he insisted on paying the rent until I finish grad school, then we would split the rent based on income. I originally wanted to live in a cheaper place in Queens or Brooklyn, but my boyfriend likes his current place and insisted I move in since he would be the one paying the rent. So I moved into his $5k/month luxury condo in the city this August.

All of a sudden my boyfriend recently started asking me to pay half the rent ($2.5k/month). I was confused because he was the one who wanted to pay the rent in full. Apparently he was talking to his friends and they all think its weird that I don’t pay rent and that I was a gold digger. I let my boyfriend know that I can’t afford $2.5k/month and he said I was “leeching” off of him, so I told him that he should find someone within his social class so he doesn’t have to worry about a gold digger like me leeching off of him. I stayed at my friends place for a few days while figuring out what to do.

I called my mom about my situation and she is willing to help me out but the maximum she can afford for rent is $800. I found some places in Queens within the price range, less than 15 min away from the city and a bus ride away from my school so I went to check them out a couple days ago. I’ve been texting the landlord and my new roommates and I already signed the lease. I told my boyfriend about my new place and he got upset and asked me to stay. He said that he was willing to accept $800/month instead of $2.5k/month if thats all I can afford, but I told him I don’t want him changing his mind again and demanding more money from me in the future.

He lived in this condo alone for several years so it’s not like he can’t afford to live there without my help. I wouldn’t mind splitting rent with him, but I would have to live in a more affordable place outside of Manhattan like I originally wanted.

Apparently some of our “mutual friends” think I’m being unreasonable for moving out instead of talking to him and staying by paying the amount I can afford in rent, and that I shouldn’t have let him pay my portion of the rent.

update: yes i did dump him. i blocked him and his idiot friends on everything. My friends also blocked him since he tried to contact me through them. i'm going to enjoy being single and never relying on a man financially ever again.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pomme de Terror posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m-MUz2Rihs

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Pomme de Terror posted:

What a turd. The bf, I mean.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pomme de Terror posted:

Bf absolutely wanted her on a leash and his dipshit friends encouraged that as a way to mess with him, probably due to some bugfuck social politics to keep him off his game. She smelled poo poo and ran for cover. Good going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for not wanting to play the ‘dulux colour game’ at my baby shower?

quote:

I need some outside perspective here.

I am 6 months pregnant & due to have a baby shower in the next few weeks. The important context is that I am super, can’t spent more than 20 minutes in the sun, white British & my partner is British Indian.

My friends were discussing games to play on the day & one suggested it ‘would be fun’ to play a version of her workplaces tea chart - They have a dulux paint chart that they mark their name against for what colour they like their tea/coffee to be. The point being to make the tea run easier when people are in the office. For that context, I think that’s actually a great idea.

Her suggestion was that people place bets using the same scale of paint chart (from cream to dark brown) on what skin colour my child will have.

NOW I am not on board with this, at a minimum is odd & at a maximum it’s pretty bloody racist. I’m being accused of being over sensitive for not wanting to play a ‘fun, harmless’ game. My partner also thinks it’s very odd & is against it being played.

AITA for really not being into it/banning it as a game?
:shepface: