Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

STAC Goat posted:

It feels like there’s still tons of potential for weirdness and comedy in there. Obviously it’s not gonna be a heist movie or anything but I dunno. Looks fun.

According to some rumored plot drops, there actually is a heist angle, and Kang is "hiring" Scott for his heist skills. We'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/Cam_Is_Like/status/1584918453219098624
I do wonder has there been actual reports on this being the case or is it just people assuming why Marvel movies are so CGI heavy with the backgrounds

It is kind of ridiculous that costumes aren't even real half the time

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/Cam_Is_Like/status/1584918453219098624
I do wonder has there been actual reports on this being the case or is it just people assuming why Marvel movies are so CGI heavy with the backgrounds

It is kind of ridiculous that costumes aren't even real half the time

I mean, it's not a Marvel-exclusive thing to be so reliant on CG nowadays. Sometimes it's the most effective option for how you want to present things, but I have also heard it said before that there's no unions for visual effects artists and therefore it's cheaper and more exploitable.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
They are not gonna build the loving quantum realm as a real set.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Fangz posted:

They are not gonna build the loving quantum realm as a real set.

Yeah. I think it could be a fair criticism in most Marvel movies, but is really bizarre to focus on for a movie almost entirely set in a sub atomic fantasy universe.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That specific shot looks really bad, but you probably wouldn't notice in motion.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What? People took a still shot of a trailer and are over critiquing it to take down a movie that isn’t out yet with broad criticisms that aren’t even necessarily fair?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I don't think they're doing it specifically to gently caress unions, they're doing it because it's cheaper, which fucks unions as a by-product.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Dunno if this belongs here or the TV thread, but there's a trailer for the GotG Holiday Special now.

https://twitter.com/MarvelStudios/status/1584975583741550592

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYhFFQl4fLs

Cosmo! And Kevin Bacon!

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 25, 2022

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The quantum realm is real small it'd be easy to build

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

I don't think they're doing it specifically to gently caress unions, they're doing it because it's cheaper, which fucks unions as a by-product.

Right. Even if there was a VFX union, if it was still cheaper than building sets they'd do that. They would build the entire Quantum Realm if it saved money.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Was The Rock the reason they brought Henry Cavil back? It seems unlikely that WB/D wasn't going to bring Superman back until the Rock and the producers of Black Adam demanded it. But, that kind of seems like what he's saying here:

quote:

The Rock Responds to Henry Cavill Announcing Superman Return: "We Fought for Years to Bring You Back"

quote:

"We fought for years to bring you back," Johnson wrote on Twitter. "They always said no. But to [Dany and Hiram Garcia] & myself 'no' was not an option. We can't build out our DCEU w/out the world's greatest superhero. And fans will always come first."

quote:

... considering The Rock's repeated claims that he had to fight tooth and nail to get Cavill back

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/the-rock-henry-cavill-superman-return-fought-to-bring-you-back/

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
what did they do to groot. his head looked mismatched to his body

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soonmot posted:

what did they do to groot. his head looked mismatched to his body

Probably just that awkward transition through puberty that ravages all living things.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking that, but it looked WEIRD

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Someone pointed out that it may be a suit

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

WB/D financial filing says even more significant cuts (not specified how/what programming will be impacted) are coming to the company - totaling up to $4.3 billion billion.

They plan to write off $2 billion to $2.5 billion dollars worth of content from the company. It has already written down roughly $825 million in content, so that means approximately 3x more content (in dollar value, not necessarily 3x as many movies, shows, etc.) are planning on being cancelled by the end of the year.

Another $1 billion in staff write-downs are expected by the end of the year as well.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1584703692678529024

quote:

Warner Bros. Discovery’s restructuring costs are beginning to take shape.

On Monday the company said in a securities filing that it expects to take $3.2 billion to $4.3 billion in pre-tax restructuring charges tied to its WarnerMedia acquisition, including writedowns related to content of between $2 billion to $2.5 billion.

WBD has been engaged in what it has called a “global strategic review of content” since the WarnerMedia deal closed, canceling projects, nixing development and shelving unproductive library content. In its first quarter after the deal closed, it disclosed an $825 million writedown on content, and a substantially similar number is expected in in its Q3 report.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Definitely looks like a Groot Suit, and I’m here for it. I wouldn’t be mad if they made Rocket a muppet. Get weird.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Scaramouche posted:

The quantum realm is real small it'd be easy to build

"What is this, a set for ants?"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Was The Rock the reason they brought Henry Cavil back? It seems unlikely that WB/D wasn't going to bring Superman back until the Rock and the producers of Black Adam demanded it. But, that kind of seems like what he's saying here:

They would have brought the character back for something eventually but the rumour about the Rock insisting on 'enry has been floating around gossip outlets for the last couple of months.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

Someone pointed out that it may be a suit

okay, that would be awesome

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i hope vin is in the suit and he breaks character to talk about family

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cool to have Cavill "back" but realistically how soon would he show up again? We're like at least three years out from a Superman movie, right?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it has to be soon, discovery needs another write off

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

it has to be soon, discovery needs another write off

To WB, releasing movies is their... I don't know a good word but some kind of fatal weakness.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I assume Kevin Bacon is the big new character they were teasing and he joins The Avengers as himself

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Lobok posted:

To WB, releasing movies is their... I don't know a good word but some kind of fatal weakness.

Black Adam will be the last movie they release this year. They don't even have a thing for Christmas!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm kinda disappointed that this isn't emulating the Star Wars Holiday Special, because this whole time, that's what I thought it was going to be. Gimme a cheesy variety special, dammit.

Still looks fun though. I'm glad it seems like it'll focus more on the other characters while Quill just kinda mopes around in the background.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jamesman posted:

I'm kinda disappointed that this isn't emulating the Star Wars Holiday Special, because this whole time, that's what I thought it was going to be. Gimme a cheesy variety special, dammit.

they don't allow that much cocaine on set anymore

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

site posted:

they don't allow that much cocaine on set anymore

Marvel, I beg of you: let it snow

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

WB/D financial filing says even more significant cuts (not specified how/what programming will be impacted) are coming to the company - totaling up to $4.3 billion billion.

They plan to write off $2 billion to $2.5 billion dollars worth of content from the company. It has already written down roughly $825 million in content, so that means approximately 3x more content (in dollar value, not necessarily 3x as many movies, shows, etc.) are planning on being cancelled by the end of the year.

Another $1 billion in staff write-downs are expected by the end of the year as well.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1584703692678529024

What will they even own by the end of all this?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Madkal posted:

What will they even own by the end of all this?

They are still a ~$36 billion company with a roughly $9 billion annual budget.

This is a ~12% cut overall and a nearly 50% cut for the expenditures for the year. Pretty huge for a single year, but they still have 88% of the company left and most of the cuts are to "unprofitable" things like high-budget streaming-exclusive shows and movies.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1585002178124587024?t=6Be9k4HljPGanKLnc8cuKg&s=19

we'll see if they actually get to make something eventually

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Absolutely love how chuds trying to weaponize “cancel culture” against Gunn has led to him being one of the top people at both the big 2

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1585002178124587024?t=6Be9k4HljPGanKLnc8cuKg&s=19

Gunn and Safran reporting directly to Zaslav is a good sign since imo, part of the problem DC's had is too many executive cooks in the kitchen. That said, I did get a chuckle that the Joker sequel and Matt Reeves's Batman still belong to other fiefs. One step forward, two steps back.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

site posted:

Seems like a poisoned chalice, but I hope it works out for them. I'm still less than clear what exactly it is that Zaslav et al. wanted from DC that they weren't getting from Hamada, though apparently the lack of movement on a new Superman film was one of Zaslav's bugbears there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is there a difference between the Quantum Realm and the Microverse in the comics
They haven't said because the Microverse or whatever they call it is a new thing, but it seems like the Microverse is in the Quantum Realm. Like, once you're so small you go quantum, you're in the quantum realm, and maybe you use it to time travel, maybe you get lost forever, or maybe you find the tiny universe that's also down there?

Opopanax posted:

I assume Kevin Bacon is the big new character they were teasing and he joins The Avengers as himself
You can definitely have the first part, at least.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1584981979715768320

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Barry Convex posted:

Seems like a poisoned chalice, but I hope it works out for them. I'm still less than clear what exactly it is that Zaslav et al. wanted from DC that they weren't getting from Hamada, though apparently the lack of movement on a new Superman film was one of Zaslav's bugbears there.

The word is Hamada resigned, he wasn’t fired.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean good for Gunn on getting to run DC entertainment or whatever, but it sucks that we're definitely not getting any more GotG stuff from him after the third movie next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i kinda love the pettiness in announcing Gunn is taking over DC minutes after the trailer for guardians dropped