Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

There is no such thing as a "P-51 Combat Fighter"

The P-51 mustang was made from riveted aluminum sheet, not machined billet

A plain old steel frame is far more fatigue-resistant than any aluminum frame

There is nothing on this that could remotely be described as a monocoque

Argh

E: oh okay the "P-51 combat fighter" is one of their other motorcycle models. That's a stupid name. Other points still stand

I don't know what you're talking about, that seat is clearly designed for just one coque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Seems like that transparent gearbox cover would be completely useless once you add oil.

I get that this is a statement bike, but even on aesthetics alone, the lines don't flow and there's too many conflicting elements.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But imagine how happy the engineers who designed each individual part were! All working away in their separate rooms, never having to interact with another human being let alone anyone else involved in the bike.

And think, if you bought one, you could tell your friends exactly how expensive each individual part was to make, if you had any that is.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Where does the funding actually come from for development of that… that thing?

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
One really rich guy who thought it was cool and now thinks other people might want to buy one. Probably some kind of tax write off for running an unprofitable business in there as well.

edit: this, basically:

Slavvy posted:

An emissary from the universe of tack

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Man I fukkin hate girder forks

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Arson Daily posted:

Man I fukkin hate girder forks

That's racist, they can be good, it's not their fault nobody makes a good one anywhere

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

At least those guys changed their name from Confederate

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Deeters posted:

At least those guys changed their name from Confederate

Oof, actually racist

Did NOT see that coming

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

That’s 100% a vapor ware scam.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It had better be lightweight with those little babby brake rotors

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It had better be lightweight with those little babby brake rotors

Can't stop, won't stop! Or Won't stop, can't stop!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

They've been using that basic design for a while, since here's an article from 2004 on them. (Also their original company name).

And a fun quote from the designer in the article

quote:

In this respect, what does the frame of a GSX-R have to do with the engine? That motorcycle is brilliantly engineered, but in terms of design, it’s a collection of visual short stories, not a novel.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmfao that is incredible. What does a part made to work with another part have to do with that part? Why do all these parts make one coherent whole called a motorcycle? I'm just asking questions here

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

A plain old steel frame is far more fatigue-resistant than any aluminum frame

I mean, I wouldn't be terribly shocked to learn they don't know about fatigue limits. Or the lack of one.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Last weekend was awesome.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice!

It was great weather here yesterday, so went out on Bob for an 80 mile ride:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I mean, I wouldn't be terribly shocked to learn they don't know about fatigue limits. Or the lack of one.

In practice, on street bikes, how bad of an issue is fatiguing anyway?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Especially on bikes that likely will see very little low milage.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I went out to get a video with the tsunami siren going off in the background for the state wide test and this one didn't loving work

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It was 40 something degrees when I left my house this morning, with forecasts for the upper 60s the rest of the day. Absolutely perfect New England Fall weather.

Unfortunately, I had to cut my ride short because the battery was barely able to start the bike any time I stalled. Seems like I managed to kill this one already. So after poking around with my multimeter a bit, I washed both bikes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Now you need a blue bandit 1200 so you can have the full cylinder count spectrum covered by blue air cooled bikes.

It's not a 650 :(

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 23, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hell yes, exact same weather here in PA. Met up with some dudes from a local discord, did a couple hundred miles. Absolutely perfect conditions, great roads. Used my Sena for comms for the first time too, loved that. Better than arm signals or shouting at lights.

Only excitement was on the way out there i found out the low fuel light does not consistently come on at a gallon left, because it had only started flickering on me 5 miles before it stalled from fuel starvation when coming to a stop pointing downhill. Got it restarted, babied it 5 miles towards the nearest gas station when it died for good 100 feet form the station...uphill. Woof, 500lbs is a lot heavier at a grade. Won't make that mistake again.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

opengl posted:

Only excitement was on the way out there i found out the low fuel light does not consistently come on at a gallon left, because it had only started flickering on me 5 miles before it stalled from fuel starvation when coming to a stop pointing downhill. Got it restarted, babied it 5 miles towards the nearest gas station when it died for good 100 feet form the station...uphill. Woof, 500lbs is a lot heavier at a grade. Won't make that mistake again.

This makes me wonder, why not continue to have reserve on a fuel injected bike? Typically, the petcock replaced with a necessary fuel pump, but, why not just integrate the two different-length fuel induction straws into the fuel pump.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

In practice, on street bikes, how bad of an issue is fatiguing anyway?

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Especially on bikes that likely will see very little low milage.

Not an issue at all, in almost all cases. Me (and Sagebrush) were more commenting on them claiming they made "the most [...] fatigue-resistant motorcycle possible" from billet aluminium stock. It's just a very stupid statement.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Now you need a blue bandit 1200 so you can have the full cylinder count spectrum covered by blue air cooled bikes.

It's not a 650 :(

I like the idea though. Maybe I can find an old Kawasaki triple in blue...

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008

Slide Hammer posted:

This makes me wonder, why not continue to have reserve on a fuel injected bike? Typically, the petcock replaced with a necessary fuel pump, but, why not just integrate the two different-length fuel induction straws into the fuel pump.

My late SR400 had fuel injection AND a petcock, but it just had on/off settings

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

You don't want to be starving the fuel pump while you fumble with a tap.

And anyway almost all efi bikes already have a reserve, it's called the low fuel light.

crazyivan45 posted:

My late SR400 had fuel injection AND a petcock, but it just had on/off settings

That's mostly because they bodged efi onto a bike with a carb tank, the pump lives in a separate sub tank that is gravity fed from the main one, you need the tap to make it possible to disassemble the bike without dumping all the fuel on the ground. Yamaha have done this trick on several models.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Do they still make tanks like on my 350 where the tank is basically a pair of saddlebags on either side of the frame, and there's a crossover tube so that fuel can flow between the two halves, and the tube goes underneath the frame top member so in order to remove the tank you have to unplug it and dump gas everywhere?

It seems like a very old-fashioned kind of design, so I could imagine it still being the way that it's done on Harley choppers and stuff

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is how it's done on Harleys in general, although the tank is one piece and has been for about fifty years.

Only very recently they thought to put a quick release on the crossover pipe so you don't dump petrol everywhere.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Got some proper autumn pics today after yesterday's ride got interrupted. Mid-70s all weekend, perfect weather apart from the wind.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Last week was the end of the season for me. Found a new bit of road that was really nice! (Not pictured)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

:krad:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

drat that FZR owns so hard

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013