Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Arzaac posted:

So what's the etiquette with running Extremes in Duty Finder? For context, I was running with 6 of my friends and we just needed a DPS for Garuda Extreme. We managed to finish it on our second try but the DPS with us seemed pretty upset that we did this through Duty Finder instead of Party Finder. My gut reaction was, why are you queuing up for Mentor Roulette if you don't want to do extremes, but maybe there's something I'm missing there.

Do what you want, but typically people will set up a party finder and advertise they're looking to do it synced or whatever. I don't know if you'll have much luck with legacy extremes, but it might work. Unfortunately old content above normal difficulty is just harder to run if you're trying to do it synced / at level / etc. due to the lack of interest. This will probably get you the best groups for it, if someone that's interested sees the listing.

You can try it in duty finder, but that's dependent on one of two things - other people are queuing for Garuda extreme (they aren't) or mentor roulette (which queues basically everything) will fill you in.

The mentor will be unhappy with you, but that's the risk they took for queuing it, and they're going to bitch and moan until you kick them and let them get on with their grind, and then they're going to tell you to just do it unsynced in pf like it's the same thing.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If you need someone to fill your party for an extreme people would typically put up a party finder listing. People getting upset that they have to do the duty they willingly queued for in mentor roulette is a different but still funny issue.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's not etiquette, that's the general recommendation to people who end up in a DF queue for an ex fight for half a day. If you just want to clear them from your quest log, consider unsyncing, if you want to genuinely learn or clear an ex synced, other people who want that are generally using PF.

But! Absolutely do run them through DF if you want to and know the above caveat. Do not give a gently caress about people getting mad their precious mentor roulette didn't give them a 2 minute guildhest, they know what they signed up for.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you shouldn't do it because you'll probably just have a miserable time trying outside a few of the easier ARR ones, not because it's bad etiquette, basically

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah people say not to do it in duty finder cause it's likely to take forever. If you actually get someone they've got no justification for complaining.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When I say "don't" it's because I have been the guy who has cluelessly waited two hours for Titan Ex before, yeah

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arist posted:

When I say "don't" it's because I have been the guy who has cluelessly waited two hours for Titan Ex before, yeah

Same here, wish there was a warning or something cause if I did get in I'm almost 100% certain I would have had a bad time.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

There are PFs up for synced ARR/HW EXs up regularly, and if you make one people will often join (often many of them will know the fight). Just make sure to actually type that you're doing the thing synced or MINE or w/e, if you leave it blank I'll/others will assume you're a sprout that doesn't know what the gently caress and doesn't know unsyncing is an option.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
As a mentor with the mount who doesn't bail or moan, I'd just ask that you have read up on the fight a little bit or at the very least listen when I explain things and try to execute. I'm not asking for perfection, but improvement at least?

It is incredibly frustrating when you don't have a keyboard and are using the PS virtual keyboard to explain Ramuh EX and the same tanks that keep dying because they have no idea how orbs work keep pulling immediately through your hold requests.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

orcane posted:

But! Absolutely do run them through DF if you want to and know the above caveat. Do not give a gently caress about people getting mad their precious mentor roulette didn't give them a 2 minute guildhest, they know what they signed up for.

It's not even about wasting a clueless mentor's time, more that it's about respecting your own. When the queue pops hours in and you get 6-7 mentors who are weighing their choices on abandoning immediately and maybe one other clueless newbie it's just a worse time than if you throw it up in PF where people are more than willing to jump in on a blind or teaching run.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

derra posted:

As a mentor with the mount who doesn't bail or moan, I'd just ask that you have read up on the fight a little bit or at the very least listen when I explain things and try to execute. I'm not asking for perfection, but improvement at least?

It is incredibly frustrating when you don't have a keyboard and are using the PS virtual keyboard to explain Ramuh EX and the same tanks that keep dying because they have no idea how orbs work keep pulling immediately through your hold requests.
I set up a macro with nothing but /p <se.1> so I can hit a button and make a sound to get attention.

Leavy
Feb 15, 2003

rufus
saving 50/60/(some)70 experts for when I was around 20 levels ahead and doing them unsynced and blind has been some of the most fun solo content I’ve run in the game

you’ll more or less steamroll the 50s, and some 60 experts had me being careful on what class I used, but so far trying the 70s that are even possible, I can’t imagine doing any except with a warrior. but it’s still fun.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

you think that's fun, try doing them synced as a blue mage!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alxprit posted:

you think that's fun, try doing them synced as a blue mage!

Hell yeah soloing the level 70 dungeons as blu is so much fun

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Regy Rusty posted:

Hell yeah soloing the level 70 dungeons as blu is so much fun

:pwn: is basic instinct really that broken?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shinjobi posted:

Deliberately so!

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Aetheric Mimicy also stacks on top of that, plus Mighty Guard and White Wind. Blue Mages can get real sick.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'd say it's harder than doing a dungeon in a party but it's very doable and often surprisingly quick.

Basic Instinct doubles your damage, and a fully operational blue mage is rather strong even before you count their instant-kill spells (especially when synced down as you don't lose your spells).

On the other hand you have to tank AND heal, and you can die surprisingly quickly. And some boss mechanics are a pain to do solo.

(I generally use Pom Cure with healer mimickry rather than White Wind. WW is great at healing the rest of the party when you're at full health but if you're solo and get chunked down, it won't save you)

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I've run into quite a few dungeons where it's just not feasible to solo them as a synced Blue Mage, even with Might Guard/Basic Instinct/Aetherial Mimicry (healer) going on- you still tend to just melt in about four hits from the bosses. I think people like to exaggerate how powerful Blue Mages are.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shinjobi posted:

With the right setup of spells, a solo blue mage can beat almost every accessible dungeon or trial synced. Savage / Extremes I don't think are possible, but otherwise it's almost all fair game. The only exceptions are times when you run into a "parry member gets put into jail and other people need to save them" which is usually a death sentence.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The thing with blue mage that helps a lot is just picking up the primal spells so you just have super solid dps ogcds for weaving. That said, arcane mimicry(healer) and pom cure are really good and will carry you though a lot.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Allarion posted:

The thing with blue mage that helps a lot is just picking up the primal spells so you just have super solid dps ogcds for weaving. That said, arcane mimicry(healer) and pom cure are really good and will carry you though a lot.
Yeah, the thing that makes Blue Mages so ridiculously powerful is their burst window - you pop Moon Flute then just dump all your hard-hitting oGCDs into that 15 second window. The result, with all the Primal spells (read: oGCD spells) equipped is an absurd amount of damage per second.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Blue Mage can solo Lakshmi Extreme synched. Pretty sure no other class can even come close to soloing an extreme trial synched.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CodfishCartographer posted:

The only exceptions are times when you run into a "parry member gets put into jail and other people need to save them" which is usually a death sentence.

Just in general when soloing, how are you supposed to deal with that? Just be so overpowered that you one-shot the boss before they can hit that phase?

I'm at high 60s on my SCH/SMN, figured "I can just unsync the few ARR dungeons I haven't done. Let's try Lost City." Spent the next fifteen minutes getting eaten by the first boss. I didn't want to give up after the first attempt, maybe it could be avoided. All Signs Point To No.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I find Moon Flute a bit awkward for soloing - if you don't get the kill then you can't heal for 15 seconds. I guess the pro play is diamondback just before it expires if final sting isn't an option.

Dareon posted:

Just in general when soloing, how are you supposed to deal with that? Just be so overpowered that you one-shot the boss before they can hit that phase?

I'm at high 60s on my SCH/SMN, figured "I can just unsync the few ARR dungeons I haven't done. Let's try Lost City." Spent the next fifteen minutes getting eaten by the first boss. I didn't want to give up after the first attempt, maybe it could be avoided. All Signs Point To No.

Pretty much, yes be powerful enough. Also, often staying in the jail isn't actually an instant-kill it's just a ton damage so sometimes you can level up some more and be able to wait it out. The other thing is being a bit careful with phase transitions. If the boss uses its jail skill in phase 2 which it enters at 50% HP, you can plink it down to 51% then unleash your burst to kill it as quickly as possible.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 26, 2022

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dareon posted:

The list of ARR things with anti-solo mechanics is very short. Lost City, Titan (Normal) and I think Stone Vigil (Hard). The harder Titan fights are easier because the gaol is downgraded from a kill to just a lot of tankable damage.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Dareon posted:

Uuuugh yeah you just gotta wait and power up. Eventually you'll go in and smash them into the floor, though, which is a rush.

I did actually manage to solo Lost City, but I did it as a paladin - the eat boss spits you out at 1 hp, so I spent my time in his gut button-mashing Hallowed Ground as fast as I could. He spit me out, I became invulnerable instantly, and managed to heal up to reasonable levels before Hallowed Ground wore off. I did not enjoy this process, but it worked. (Well, it worked six months ago. I don't know if anything's been changed.)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

just queue for dungeons in the duty finder you antisocial nerds

(but yeah, for duties with mechanics that require more than one person to not wipe you either just gotta be high enough level to burn them down before bad things happen or recruit a friend to help)

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ruining a mentor's day is its own reward so people should duty-finder extreme trials more often, actually

edit: that said if you don't mind out-of-game resources you can probably find a discord server or two dedicated to doing old extreme trials and savage raids synced on your data center. the advantage being that people are more likely to notice a discord ping than they are to happen to look at the pf listings and find the synced ex party in a sea of unsynced farms

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 26, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

ruining a mentor's day is its own reward so people should duty-finder extreme trials more often, actually

i'm begging you to save me from another run of the praetorium

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hyper Inferno posted:

Blue Mage can solo Lakshmi Extreme synched. Pretty sure no other class can even come close to soloing an extreme trial synched.

warrior was able to solo ravana on-level when the cap was 60 because of the uniquely large gear gap between start and end of HW compared to future expansion item level pacing. no idea if it's still possible with everything shuffled around

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I always loved blue mages in game, hearing how broken blue mages are makes me :allears:.

My friend got me all the expansions as "an early Christmas gift" so I can totally try it out now.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Oneiros posted:

i'm begging you to save me from another run of the praetorium

how very glib

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

I always loved blue mages in game, hearing how broken blue mages are makes me :allears:.

My friend got me all the expansions as "an early Christmas gift" so I can totally try it out now.

Just be aware that blue mage isn't an "I win" button and early on before you get the good spells you're plinking away with a range of 200 potency spells which apply some crowd control effect.

But, it's really cool when it comes together and eg someone manages to pull together an alliance raid party finder and do all the crystal tower raids in half the normal time

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 26, 2022

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Qwertycoatl posted:

Just be aware that blue mage isn't an "I win" button and early on before you get the good spells you're plinking away with a range of 200 potency spells which apply some crowd control effect.

But, it's really cool when it comes together and eg someone manages to pull together an alliance raid party finder and do all the crystal tower raids in half the normal time

Sounds time consuming but worth it. Gotta check it out at some point :unsmith:.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
lol wonder if lvl 5 death works in th--:eyepop:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Schwartzcough posted:

I've run into quite a few dungeons where it's just not feasible to solo them as a synced Blue Mage, even with Might Guard/Basic Instinct/Aetherial Mimicry (healer) going on- you still tend to just melt in about four hits from the bosses. I think people like to exaggerate how powerful Blue Mages are.

Some of them aren't possible, but I could count those on two hands at most. The one that always bugged me is the Karlabos in Sastasha Hard, it'll give you like two debuffs at once and you can't cleanse them quickly enough to avoid death.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

I've soloed every one synced at 70. Can't speak for edge cases at lower levels since I did those unsynced but all the level 70 ones are doable.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Mister Olympus posted:

warrior was able to solo ravana on-level when the cap was 60 because of the uniquely large gear gap between start and end of HW compared to future expansion item level pacing. no idea if it's still possible with everything shuffled around

Do you have a video link to this? I can find a 1 Warrior/7 Scholar video and an 8 Warrior video on YouTube, but nothing for solo Warrior. I can't imagine Warrior being able to survive the sword dives in the second phase solo with Holmgang's 6 second duration even at max ilvl compared to the beginning of the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hyper Inferno posted:

Do you have a video link to this? I can find a 1 Warrior/7 Scholar video and an 8 Warrior video on YouTube, but nothing for solo Warrior. I can't imagine Warrior being able to survive the sword dives in the second phase solo with Holmgang's 6 second duration even at max ilvl compared to the beginning of the expansion.

i remember doing it for wondrous tails, but those memories might actually be from stormblood because it's been 6 years. i was definitely soloing things for wondrous tails on warrior in hw but that could have been arr.

also even by early creator, before actual savage gear you could do A4 with a light party for the gobwalker mount because of the ilevel scaling