Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

BabyRyoga posted:

A realization i've come to spamming support since OW2 launch is that it feels miserable to play it more so than other roles because you tend to see more of just how lovely the other people on your team are playing. It's easily the most frustrating role to play just due to that, and perhaps this is why people tend to play it less on an unconscious level.

Not small mistakes, but huge glaring issues like not grouping up, not disengaging/dying obj after a lost fight, etc. Tanks who can't take any space, and don't know what space is. You notice it more so when your primary job is babysitting the rest of the team. I think i'm doing only tank and DPS for a while.

I think this is a pretty big issue with healers in general because positioning puts you generally behind the team. In the same way, the Tank's position in the front of the team often leaves you having to trust that your teammates are, say, staying behind your shields/body or capitalizing on your stuns/damage to get kills with no real way to know what's going on behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Parallelwoody posted:

Any recs on which support I should focus on for babbys learning time? I tried Mercy, got clapped real quick constantly, so switched to Moira to at least contribute some DPS/run down their Mercy and dip out while focusing on heals. I think my numbers typically look good, but as has been discussed, that's not telling an accurate story.

moira is a strong initial pick, but i would caution against leaning on her too heavily when you're learning because Fade is such an absurdly good defensive tool that you can easily ingrain bad positioning habits that get massively punished whenever you don't get her. you should, as countblanc said, play what you like and enjoy, but be aware that it's easy to get a big head playing moira exclusively that will quickly get popped against better players

despite all the talk about skill expression lately, i actually think kiriko's a really solid support to learn on if you have her unlocked. your healing throughput is strong and straightforwards, suzu gives you and your team a quick out of tight spots, and swift step is a good escape tool that helps to train you to be more aware of your surroundings so that you know who you can port to if you need to book it. her wall climb also helps to train you to think more of the maps as 3D spaces and not just linear corridors, which is good for both your own ability to navigate them and your ability to think about how you can potentially be flanked or how certain heroes like widow can open up fire angles on you that other heroes typically can't

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Spanish Matlock posted:

I think this is a pretty big issue with healers in general because positioning puts you generally behind the team. In the same way, the Tank's position in the front of the team often leaves you having to trust that your teammates are, say, staying behind your shields/body or capitalizing on your stuns/damage to get kills with no real way to know what's going on behind you.

As a tank, just play Zarya. You can keep your head on a swivel because bubbles have no sides and you just erase anything in your field of view.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

A realization i've come to spamming support since OW2 launch is that it feels miserable to play it more so than other roles because you tend to see more of just how lovely the other people on your team are playing. It's easily the most frustrating role to play just due to that, and perhaps this is why people tend to play it less on an unconscious level.

As a longtime support main through all of OW1, I'm finding myself quickly burnt out of the role in the OW2 paradigm shift. I find it exhausting and generally unrewarding.

It doesn't help that there's only eight total healers so my choices are limited, and of those eight there's maybe 3 or 4 I actually find interesting to play and I suck with my favorite of the pack (Ana - most played by far but only 47% win rate :sigh:)

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just do jumps and sick ramps as Lucio. Can't Stop, Wont Stop!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:lol::lol:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Wrath of the Bride seems to be a bit more involved story-mission that uses the whole Eichenwald map. Preview of the PVE-mode?

It has all the 3 new characters + Ashe.
Junkqueen is bit poor choice as basic zombies and tires explode when they get close to the player.
And Junkqueen is all about getting close and personal.

There's 24 new Event Challenges, that give mainly voice lines and xp. Also 2 sprays, a name card and weapon charm.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
oof, got annihilated as JQueen. my 3 compatriots all dced at the same time (assujming servers) and i tried to solo it, but the bride resets health. those exploding bots are.... rough

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Vermain posted:

moira is a strong initial pick, but i would caution against leaning on her too heavily when you're learning because Fade is such an absurdly good defensive tool that you can easily ingrain bad positioning habits that get massively punished whenever you don't get her. you should, as countblanc said, play what you like and enjoy, but be aware that it's easy to get a big head playing moira exclusively that will quickly get popped against better players

Ok yeah that's what I was worried about. I have about nothing unlocked (I'm like a battle pass level 6 or something) so I'll keep it diverse and switch it up with tanking. Seems like those are the most codependent roles, so if I get a good idea of the game flow and maps I think I can utilize that knowledge when finally switching to DPS. I don't mind the babysitting pubbies thing and losing either, its gaining game knowledge and good habits I'm focused on. What's the fastest hero that can dive in and out (regardless of class)?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Parallelwoody posted:

Ok yeah that's what I was worried about. I have about nothing unlocked (I'm like a battle pass level 6 or something) so I'll keep it diverse and switch it up with tanking. Seems like those are the most codependent roles, so if I get a good idea of the game flow and maps I think I can utilize that knowledge when finally switching to DPS. I don't mind the babysitting pubbies thing and losing either, its gaining game knowledge and good habits I'm focused on. What's the fastest hero that can dive in and out (regardless of class)?

Genji, Tracer, Sombra (with Sojourn close behind) for DPS

Dva, Wrecking Ball, Winston for tank

Most supports have some unique mobility options but in terms of raw speed probably Moira, Lucio and Kiriko. Mercy if you have an ally to fly to.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lmao @ Sojourn's "Halloween" skin being her cyberpunk skin. That's not lazy at all.

The whole even is a 10 minute long linear mission, half of which is reused content. It's very meh.
You can get a weapon charm, a spray and a couple of voice lines and most importantly an opportunity to pay 20 bux for a skin!

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 25, 2022

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I appreciate the help/advice from yall in the thread btw, thanks!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How do you earn the stuff in the halloween event?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Check the Challenges - Events tab

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The game gets strictly worse every time they mess around with roles and their definitions. I still remember assault/defense and while I think those were bad definitions for what they excelled at, I think they had a fair distinction. The roles also screws with characters like Brigitte and Doomfist.

The game feels like what it is, which is designed by people who made/were involved with an MMO, and probably the least mechanically interesting one at that.

And the end of battle report is even more meaningless than the medal system, which seemed to exist only to justify poor play and/or start a flame war. Damage dealt can be actively bad for you. Tanks are going to be largely fighting each other and wrack up huge damage while they whittle one another down through getting healed a bunch. Meanwhile, if I am Widowmaker and I pop a healer on my first shot, I am only getting however much damage their health is (and maybe the overkill damage on the shot? No idea.)

It feels like the game wants to turn itself into something that really isn't compatible with the shooter genre, and it suffers for that.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Zzulu posted:

By playing Junkenstein modes in the arcade.
Check the Event challenges for details.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
drat.... ..... they made me nostalgic for lootboxes. Bad world.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I wonder what this tricorn hat is going to do for obfuscating my head-box.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The free Health Pack weapon charm & Reaper Skin should be distributed now too from the launch issues. The Reaper skin is actually super rad, I dig it! Though it's hard choice between it and the mariachi skins.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I don't see events moving the needle much for nearly as many people as OW1 if you can't earn event skins just by playing. I'm sure people will tune in to do the Event's PvE event a few times, but after that what's the event even adding for players the rest of the time it's running? With no Arcade lootbox rewards there isn't even an incentive to replay whatever arcade event modes the event adds. Really wondering if the battle pass and event stinginess is going to come back and bite Blizz and result in some changes for future BPs/events, or if people buying skins is going to be a net positive for their bottom line. All they really need to do is add loot boxes (which are event boxes during the event) as rewards every few BP levels so people can still occasionally score some random cosmetics.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Yeah the event achievements give you voice lines and if you do 13 you get the weapon charm, but that's about it

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Veryslightlymad posted:

The game gets strictly worse every time they mess around with roles and their definitions. I still remember assault/defense and while I think those were bad definitions for what they excelled at, I think they had a fair distinction. The roles also screws with characters like Brigitte and Doomfist.

The game feels like what it is, which is designed by people who made/were involved with an MMO, and probably the least mechanically interesting one at that.

And the end of battle report is even more meaningless than the medal system, which seemed to exist only to justify poor play and/or start a flame war. Damage dealt can be actively bad for you. Tanks are going to be largely fighting each other and wrack up huge damage while they whittle one another down through getting healed a bunch. Meanwhile, if I am Widowmaker and I pop a healer on my first shot, I am only getting however much damage their health is (and maybe the overkill damage on the shot? No idea.)

It feels like the game wants to turn itself into something that really isn't compatible with the shooter genre, and it suffers for that.

Yeah, like... I've been playing a fair bit of DPS lately and I've been getting some flak from the other DPS/tank for their having higher damage numbers. While I have way more elims. It's like... what do you think that implies man? Do you even scoreboard

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Now, I haven't played in years, but man, I dig some of the people who are new since I quit. Bastion with his Mario 2 jump logic, Echo who is already my highest elims/minute character, Junker Queen with her absolutely deceptive unkillability for such relatively low health for a tank, Sigma for his absolutely bizarre move list and absurd damage mitigation on barriers I can build wherever and fuckin' rock chucking....

For all that this game continues to piss me off every time it changes, it still brings the fun guns, and fun guns are why I FPS.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hashy posted:

Honestly, it's splitting the playerbase and its very bad, it should be a rotating arcade mode at best and not in the main menus. If they delete it - especially the competitive version - it might improve queue times for low ELO players.
If the concern is splitting the player base it should be the main casual game mode then, leave role restrictions for competitive

Aipsh posted:

It feels to me like saying having 10 teams of ten players in Apex and all playing as that toxic gas guy would be a cool and legitimate way to play the game. For me, competitive anyway, should have always been 2/1 - 2 - 2
Open queue already restricts it to one of each hero, leaving unrestricted to an arcade mode

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
In OW1 IIRC they kicked open queue quick play to the Arcade as Quick Play Classic. Surprised they didn't leave it there for OW2, but I guess they brought a few modes out of Arcade as well (MH & DM). Regardless though there's no chance role queue isn't going to remain the main QP mode.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I'm playing mystery heroes to reacclimate to OW2 after years away from OW1 and its a terrible idea and a blast. I'll have great runs on the worst characters I'd never play and get absolutely slaughtered on my "mains". I have like 16 hours on Roadhog as my most played from release until I quit. One of these days I'll remember I now have to manually shoot when I activate his ult. I get him infrequently enough that I forget in the heat of the moment and expect everyone to go flying and just stare at them dumbly while I die. Good times.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Best Value strikes again

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Jack Trades posted:

Where the hell are you seeing even queues? The only queue times I've seen have been 6min/6min/2min.

idk i see it at 4/4/3 sometimes ever since kiriko dropped

black.lion fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 25, 2022

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Veryslightlymad posted:

I actually found myself actually winning more in competitive when I had the thought to start playing Zen more like a FFXIV white mage after realising the party role composition was kind of the same. I feel like I'm healing less, but mostly because I have to heal less when I'm putting more energy into amplifying damage and just trying to stay out of harms way while just casually topping people up as they pop in and out of the mix. If I do it right some matches I'll end up with like 50+ assists and less than 5 deaths with pretty healthy numbers in all the other stuff.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
that skin kinda sucks and highlights how generic Kiriko's design is outside of the skin lol.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Kiriko is rad. The witch skin just turns her into a generic white girl Halloween costume, which sucks. The talismans are cool looking though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wtf are those shoulder pads? They just stopped trying?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

leftist heap posted:

that skin kinda sucks and highlights how generic Kiriko's design is outside of the skin lol.

it's not exactly hard to make a good witch-themed skin as long as your color scheme isn't "desaturated blue and brown"

league sticks 5 random girls into almost identical-looking witch outfits every year and makes millions of dollars off of them, it's a failure of design rather than imagination

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I still have trouble reading JQ, Sojourn and Kiriko as silhouettes sometimes, tbh. I don't think they've done enough to differentiate them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh today wasn't the Zarya/Genji/DVa balance patch?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

I still have trouble reading JQ, Sojourn and Kiriko as silhouettes sometimes, tbh. I don't think they've done enough to differentiate them.

Junker Queen has literally the same silhouette as Ashe.

It seems like anyone talented has been harassed out of the company.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Megazver posted:

it's pretty funny that they made kiriko's shrine maiden waistwrap such a significant part of her design and then her buyable launch skin and twitch promotion skin both completely remove it

the OW2 redesigned base looks for most of the cast point strongly to them having lost most of the technical design people who understood the importance of read hierarchy, which is how you get sojourn and S76 looking almost identical in terms of basic profile at a distance and JQ looking like a DPS that got her model scaled up in maya

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Parallelwoody posted:

Any recs on which support I should focus on for babbys learning time? I tried Mercy, got clapped real quick constantly, so switched to Moira to at least contribute some DPS/run down their Mercy and dip out while focusing on heals. I think my numbers typically look good, but as has been discussed, that's not telling an accurate story.

Lucio or Bap. Lucio has a really high skill ceiling but you don't need to be wallriding all the time to make a difference, especially just starting out. But you can start out basically always leaving his healing aura on and staying around your team while doing pretty good damage and booping people away from you. Then once you get more comfortable you can use more speed boosts to track down staggers or harass their DPS/backline and get back to your team safely. Plus beat is a great ultimate.

Bap is about the same, just with less maneuverability but more damage. His ult probably won't make much difference at lower ranks since nobody bothers to shoot through it, but you can get extra heals and damage. Immortality field is great for saving yourself and your team, and you can sometimes escape with his jump boots.

But really, Lucio is great at every rank and fun to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Couple questions:
1. Is there an easy way to track wins & losses? It seems I need to open the replay to see what role I played, then tally that way, and it resets each patch.
2. Is there a way to record a section of a replay? Here's the share code: ZDGJ9E timestamp 5:45 - 6:15 from Sigma's POV. That was the game that took me from B5 to B4 :)
3. What is this? Is B69 last season's rank? What is the purple 3?