Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
mcmagic just noticed Joe Benigno has a new weekly spot on WFAN have you been listening to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lmao. If only there wasn’t a jailbreak blitz every other play.

https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/1584975201149759488

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

pasaluki posted:

mcmagic just noticed Joe Benigno has a new weekly spot on WFAN have you been listening to it?

Yeah his takes on the team this year have been pretty bad though.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

did this get posted already

https://twitter.com/MarkDanielsPJ/status/1584868814772400128?s=20&t=1JlYLgkKSotLWWG4d_fkAg

because lol

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Ehud posted:

Originally I thought Tua missed this throw, but now I'm not so sure.

https://twitter.com/houtz/status/1584973636129026049?s=20&t=GzSWaK3kldb_7_XlZpUfTg

Tua threw the ball where Tyreek would have been if he continued at the same pace, which would have been a huge gain, maybe even a TD. Tyreek slowed down on the route for some reason.

During the game I thought it was a pretty decent throw but Tua had been so bad I just gave Tyreek the benefit of the doubt.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Let’s see if we have two bad games in a row from Tua and McDaniel. Then I’ll start to worry.

And boy will I!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

He’ll be cleared by Sunday because Patriots.

https://twitter.com/DougKyed/status/1585014992130412544

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Ehud posted:

oh poo poo I just noticed Waddle was wide open nm hahahahaha

Hill is the right target both by design and how it played out, I don't know what the hell he was doing there. It's a very basic deep cross concept, he's not reading the coverage or anything and he's playing against maybe the slowest CBs in the NFL. Waddle is your second progression there and has an option route that he hasn't gotten to yet by the time the ball was out.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 25, 2022

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Let’s see if we have two bad games in a row from Tua and McDaniel. Then I’ll start to worry.

And boy will I!

I definitely think McDaniel messed up some game management stuff, but the more I see stuff like the Tyreek route I posted, the Edmonds pic you posted, I think McDaniel had a pretty good game from a play calling perspective.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Timing in general between Tua and Hill seemed a bit weird Sunday night. I remember a pass in the 1st quarter where Hill stumbled for a step or two as Tua was throwing-- wound up being an easily catchable ball but had me thinking it would have been behind Hill without the stumbling.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ok

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/1585020224327192577?s=46&t=FnjzMZTElJzQz_uju0g7Wg

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

reek is compensating for tua's arm by adjusting how fast he's getting to the ball, so sometimes he's out of position by the time the ball actually gets there and you see weird rear end plays when tua manages to get some zip on it

you can see it during the ravens game where he pulls up mid stride to let the ball get to him on a go route that turned into a TD

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

reek is compensating for tua's arm by adjusting how fast he's getting to the ball, so sometimes he's out of position by the time the ball actually gets there and you see weird rear end plays when tua manages to get some zip on it

you can see it during the ravens game where he pulls up mid stride to let the ball get to him on a go route that turned into a TD

Yeah that makes sense, guess it just felt more noticeable Sunday-- hopefully that's just an outcome of all the QB shuffling the past few weeks.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Pats fans it’s fine

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2022/08/20/patriots-mac-jones-nfl-mvp-mike-tannenbaum/

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yesterday could only really happen like it did to the Patriots. No other fan base could be so thoroughly convinced their unimpressive no name late round backup is actually Tom Brady.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

fsif posted:

Yesterday could only really happen like it did to the Patriots. No other fan base could be so thoroughly convinced their unimpressive no name late round backup is actually Tom Brady.

Lol are you serious with this? I have spent literally decades watching fans of the other teams in this division glom on to the Mike Whites, Trent Edwards and Matt Moore's of the NFL.

How quickly Josh Allen washes away the phrase "Team Trent."

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This is a thread full of people who haven't given up on Zach Wilson. If the Jets fans, Dolfans, and pre-Allen Bills fans had a rookie that performed like Mac did last year, they would defend him until at least the fifth year option kicked in.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s true Mac is clearly mediocre but he’s also just a rookie and he’s mediocre. Not pats fans fault that the media vastly overrated the dude and he couldn’t live up to something he (again clear as day) wasn’t going to be.

It’s similar to how we dolphins fans delude ourselves into thinking Tua will be playing well into a 2nd contract

Nov 6, 2002

fsif posted:

This is a thread full of people who haven't given up on Zach Wilson. If the Jets fans, Dolfans, and pre-Allen Bills fans had a rookie that performed like Mac did last year, they would defend him until at least the fifth year option kicked in.

This is a completely different discussion.

Also, you're right, we're very smart for knowing better. :smugdog:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

This is a completely different discussion.

Also, you're right, we're very smart for knowing better. :smugdog:

It was literally my point, though. Only the Patriots fan base would boo their once promising second year player after like four games because they're conditioned to believe they'll just find another Tom Brady. You can't act like you haven't heard fan whispers about how Mac might be playing the Bledsoe role (or the endless Mac/Brady comparisons last year).

Bills fans called for Trent Edwards after three drat years of Losman and never compared him to Jim Kelly; we just thought he could end up a good starter.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Matt Moore ruled.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

fsif posted:

It was literally my point, though. Only the Patriots fan base would boo their once promising second year player after like four games because they're conditioned to believe they'll just find another Tom Brady. You can't act like you haven't heard fan whispers about how Mac might be playing the Bledsoe role (or the endless Mac/Brady comparisons last year).

The world most famous and walking avatar of all Pats fans Bill Simmons absolutely made the Mac/Zappe Bledsoe/Brady analogy.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I can personally attest to the fact that over the past two weeks the most common line coming out of callers to 98.5 The Sports Hub was “well I’m not saying he’s Brady, BUT.” Endlessly

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

And also, like, it's not personal; no Pats fan in TFF afaik has really believed in Zappe more than just having fun saying his name.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
The Pats fans they put the knife in their own boys back because they can't face the reality that all they will be from now on is a little mediocre insignificant team.

They sit in Gillette stadium and guess who the newest spokesperson for Gillette is? Josh Allen.

You know those vaguely homoerotic Gillette Tom Brady commercials where dude is just shaving and smirking into the camera? Josh Allen is actually doing those commercials now.

Tom Brady is no longer is the object of God's affection, Josh Allen is. We no longer live in the world of the Patriots, they live in our world.

And all I can say is I hope is it is a terrible, hellish, oppressive world for them!!
Bill Belichick actually thought Tom Brady himself would reincarnate again in Bailey Zappe.

You Patriots fans are worried about the Bills? I'd worry about the Jets right now.

It's a great setting for the feature game of the thread. Sundays tilt of Jets vs. Patriots!

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

Bills fans called for Trent Edwards after three drat years of Losman and never compared him to Jim Kelly; we just thought he could end up a good starter.
I think it's more we just hoped he wouldn't be as bad as Losman.

Of course, he was just a different kind of bad, which was better in a way.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fsif posted:

And also, like, it's not personal; no Pats fan in TFF afaik has really believed in Zappe more than just having fun saying his name.

There is way more of a reason to believe in Zappe than Mac Jones.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

They both are bad, have terrible coaches, and have no hope of going over .500. the main differences between the two is Zappe's face is a little smaller, he makes decisions faster, and his name invites comparison to one of the more entertaining Futurama characters.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

mcmagic posted:

There is way more of a reason to believe in Zappe than Mac Jones.

Uh really dude? He's got a weaker arm and is shorter. Mac with not Matt Patricia did well enough to make the playoffs.

I mean just because both seem better than Zach....ohhh ...

Nov 6, 2002

My personal feeling about QB's has always been - Josh Allen withstanding - that you're going to know in the first year if they're capable of becoming a real franchise quarterback. My thoughts going into this season is it was pretty clear from last year Mac wasn't the guy, that despite whatever "flashes" or promises he showed, he was way too physically limited to ever really become a top 10 quarterback. He was drafted with the promise of being.. lets say, in the mold of a young Matt Ryan, but in realty he looks and plays more like a 35 year old Matt Ryan. At best he's going to forever hover just above the Dalton zone. So I'm all for the Zappe ride, because while I think it's utterly extremely unlikely a 4th round dude who was drafted to be a career backup turns into a starter, at this point I think more snaps invested in Mac is just a waste of time. Give Zappe a month of actual starting reps and let him play and fail. Best thing for the team is to find out they don't have any quarterbacks on the roster, instead of dicking around for three years with Mac Jones like so many other AFCE teams have done with their quarterbacks.

That being said, if Belichick's plan was to start Mac last night, he should have loving seen it through and not pulled him a couple of drives. And if his plan WAS to pull him why the gently caress did he give Mac almost all the reps in practice and the rest of the team not know it was coming?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

I mean, any snap from anyone while Matt Patricia is calling plays is a waste of time so

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Belichick hasn’t actually had a plan since Jimmy G and Jimmy G sucks too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's going to be fascinating if the Jets win 9 or 10 games this year but Wilson doesn't play any better than he did the last few weeks to see what they do next year.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

It's going to be fascinating if the Jets win 9 or 10 games this year but Wilson doesn't play any better than he did the last few weeks to see what they do next year.

You hope for a third year leap

Nov 6, 2002

off a skyscraper

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Mac isn't great but he's also not the problem. The Pats are bad enough that if they had Josh Allen this would still be like a 10 win season. The heart of the problem is that the Pats aren't elite anywhere except a guy who plays a position that hardly matters. The DBs are the only group that could realistically be part of a Super Bowl team.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Matthew Stafford was pretty lousy year 1 and barely played year 2. Andrew Luck was basically rookie year Mac with legs year 1 and was barely over 60% passing and under 7ypa year 2.

I am not a believer that you’ll know about a QB right away. Not to say you can’t I just don’t believe in any hard and fast rule when it comes to QB development.

Nov 6, 2002

I am talking about a good old eye test. Not any kind of statistical measurement of performance. There was way more to see and get excited about in the capabilities of Andrew Luck than Mac Jones has ever shown. Likewise, I feel you can't just excuse away a gross amount rookie mistakes and say "oh he's a rookie, it's ok, he'll figure it out". That's how you end up giving too many chances to guys like Darnold and continuing to have hope for Wilson. If they're good enough to play in the NFL they shouldn't spend half their rookie season making pants on head dumb decisions and sailing balls.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Andrew Luck lived up to his draft hype for his first 3 season and then poo poo all went sideways in season 4 when he got seriously hurt. But he was far better than Mac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

He was a good player, and the team had lots of success under him despite problems with the rosters... but he never really lived up to being a generational prospect like Manning.