Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm always referencing Philadelphia, but there are actually blocks so narrow that you must park half on the street, half on the sidewalk. The taxonomy is

2 way traffic, street parking both sides
1 way traffic, street parking both sides
1 way traffic, street parking one side
1 way traffic, street/sidewalk parking one side
No street parking at all, too narrow for most vehicles, sometimes there's garages

Philadelphia is the safest feeling city center to walk in that I’ve ever experienced because the streets are too narrow and cluttered to speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I saw an ABSOLUTELY NO HOCKEY PLAYING sign on a residential street and wondered what the gently caress people think streets are for?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Would love to live here

Couldn't pay me to live on a sidewalk park block, even if it was in a really nice or pretty area, which this random example isn't

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
How do people resist the urge to tear off every mirror as they walk down the sidewalk?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

I'm always referencing Philadelphia, but there are actually blocks so narrow that you must park half on the street, half on the sidewalk. The taxonomy is

2 way traffic, street parking both sides
1 way traffic, street parking both sides
1 way traffic, street parking one side
1 way traffic, street/sidewalk parking one side
No street parking at all, too narrow for most vehicles, sometimes there's garages

A lot of the major downtown streets in Toronto are four lanes, except one per side is used for parking and the other is constantly clogged by people trying to parallel park into the parking.

Naturally our traffic is bad because some of the roads eke out a few inches for a bike lane and not for any other reason.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ham Equity posted:

How do people resist the urge to tear off every mirror as they walk down the sidewalk?

You walk down the sidewalk on the other side of the street. The sidewalk on the parking side is for cars.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
The SA Forums > CSPAM > the sidewalk is for cars

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
https://twitter.com/ProfTBLittwin/status/1584920864876814336

Apr 7, 2003

Would love to live here

Couldn't pay me to live on a sidewalk park block, even if it was in a really nice or pretty area, which this random example isn't

Agree, I unironically would love to live here as opposed to any west coast city or Phoenix.

Apr 7, 2003

S. Delhi St looks fantastic, you couldn't fit a Suburban down that fucker if you tried.

e: I misunderstood your statement about Delhi st. vs. Greenwich St, I would 100% unironically live on either of those streets compared to what most Americans live on though.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 00:41 on Oct 26, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Life in a sidewalk parking block is the worst of everything.

If you live on the parking side, your house entitles you to a parking space. What this parking space means is either you put a car in it or you fill it with stuff to keep other people from parking there, because people will crash into your house or your stoop or everything, all the time. So if you're on the parking side you have to fight a constant forever war to keep other people from using your space.

Also the thing about those blocks is, they're really narrow. But not as narrow as the no-parking blocks. They're juuuust wide enough that morons in big SUVs or pickup trucks or delivery trucks or what have you are constantly deciding to try to take a chance and drive down, and then finding out that they've made a terrible decision and smashing into cars, houses, ornamental stuff, utility stuff, pets, children playing, etc.

Life is a constant struggle on those blocks, an automotive war that never ends, ever

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 00:44 on Oct 26, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

The block I live on, both sides get parked on

It should be a one way street but it isn't

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Least you fucks have a sidewalks at all. North seattle just decided to build almost everything with no side walks. Instead I gotta always make sure to walk facing traffic in case I need to dive into someone's yard to keep from dying.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

All these things I'm saying about Philadelphia I'm really saying about South Philly, the only part I know well. It's a huge vibrant complicated city

Here's what the vast, vast majority of South Philly blocks look like:

Narrow one way with parking in the actual street not on the sidewalk

I picked this one because there's a great view of some Center City skyscrapers and also lol a Bernie banner (streetview taken September 2019)

Teriyaki Hairpiece has issued a correction as of 01:33 on Oct 26, 2022

Apr 7, 2003

All these things I'm saying about Philadelphia I'm really saying about South Philly, the only part I know well. It's a huge vibrant complicated city

Here's what the vast, vast majority of South Philly blocks look like:

Narrow one way with parking in the actual street not on the sidewalk

I picked this one because there's a great view of some Center City skyscrapers and also lol a Bernie banner (streetview taken September 2019)

my wife's company has an office in the building at the end of that shot and I've seriously considered lately moving to Philly so she can transfer there. I can work 100% remotely, she can work there, and I'm terrified at how chuddy Pittsburgh is becoming.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
phillys the greatest city in america

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Smythe posted:

go birds.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

which profile will be added to more ignore lists, pittsburgh fentanyl cloud or philadelphia fentanyl cloud

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Smythe posted:

It is but you shouldn't say it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

It is but you shouldn't say it

sulk usually quotes me when i do tho

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pennsylvania is just New Jersey's gaping rear end in a top hat though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ohio is Pennsylvania's

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
And Indiana rounds up this human caterpillar of states.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/realBurhanAzeem/status/1584697446969794561?s=20&t=8nLrbXGDEMEEZmzDXfPaOQ

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Harik posted:

6 hours a day, 3 days a week. 30 minute break while he's at his appointment. it's way way worse than any commute i've endured.

got to witness the fresh aftermath of someone nodding off doing 75 last time too, a car half its original length in a construction zone, in the center lane. nearly hit it at highway speed and so did everyone else so it can't have happened longer than 30 seconds before i got there.

pretty sure they drifted off the road and into the jersey barrier, judging by the very large construction barrel permanently embedded in their engine compartment and conspicuous lack of other crushed vehicles.

hope my 911 call saved them but it's likely they're just one of the 45k.

probably the 4th fatal accident i've seen this month, come to think of it. which makes sense, i-4 racks the highest pile of corpses per mile in the nation and it's not even close.

e: impossible to find anything about it because there's so many fatal wrecks on i-4 that even when you narrow it down to the intersection there's dozens of them

Working at universal studios and commuting via motorcycle down I4 was one of the darkest points in my life. That road wanted to kill me and maybe I didn't really want to live but somehow I slipped through it jaws. It almost felt like being a fish in a school or an antelope in a herd. Someone else always got grabbed.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The block I live on, both sides get parked on

It should be a one way street but it isn't

Looks like poo poo OP.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1585266259394019331

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

does anyone in here like making cargo bikes out of ordinary bikes? trying to choose a front basket for my 1970s schwinn breeze commuter style bike and torn between a wald 137 and 157. 157's cargo footprint is prob around 20"x14" and 15" high. 137 is around 15"x10" and ~5" high. if anyone has a front basket they like that isn't WALD lmk

right now the bike has a 17"x13" and 10" tall topeak MTX removable basket that locks into a luggage rack on the bike. it's been OK for picking up a handbasket's worth of groceries but whenever I move more than a few 6 packs of beer the wire handle always gets bent out of shape. not a great item for carrying around to shop for anything other than the most light weight stuff but the more robust roller crate style basket looks dorky as hell with the same capacity

if the 137/157 looks like they're working good, I'd probably get a fixed rear pannier wire basket so I can load up the bike with supplies until it's dangerously heavy but all the stores I bike to are less than .5 mi away so :shrug:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My city government is currently debating whether to use imminent domain to complete a multi-use trail that cuts across a significant portion of the county. It's eventually going to join several neighboring cities into a larger trail network. Really cool project that I would love to live closer to, and when I'm looking at houses for sale I specifically check around the trail because I know I'd use it for commuting. Anyway, a bunch of homeowners in the proposed path are objecting to selling portions of their land for a trail that they claim would only be used for recreation. They'd probably oppose it anyway, because that's what homeowners do, but I hope soon people will better understand that there are other forms of transportation you can use once you build the infrastructure for them.

Similarly there's a new proposal for an apartment complex that takes advantage of a new rule to bypass parking minimums, so it's going to provide significantly fewer parking spaces than bedrooms. It's in a really walkable spot too with easy bus access. But the complaints from the opposition are about traffic! If anything, it's going to reduce traffic because people living there can walk to their destinations rather than drive.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

densifying residential stuff when it's in the prescence of commerical stuff like bars/resturaunts/etc only serves to increase the customers for the local business while adding no traffic because all the people can just walk to the thing instead of needing parking.

the same situation is happening in my area and the debate over it is just as dumb. hoping the residential density gets to be enough that local business gives up on protecting their precious street parking and the commercial blocks can be fully bollarized with a parking garage somewhere nearby for out-of-area patrons

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

deeply sick society, no room for trees or people. just cars

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

People go on the people sidewalk, cars go on the car sidewalk

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/debdrens/status/1585298601512620032?s=20&t=iNu0YrM6TO2OQdjA4DnyNA

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

good. drivers should never plea

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I do appreciate the person who put the "gently caress off!" potted plants out.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

quote:

“I went to the lady,” witness Francies Gracia told the network. “She told me it wasn’t her fault. It wasn’t her fault because there was a truck in the way when she made that turn, she couldn’t see, and she hit the lady with the baby.”

yeah there's just no way she could have seen the mother and her child in the crosswalk directly in front of her, no way

offered community service for killing a child lmao

https://twitter.com/2bmrap/status/1585314015433007115

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Guarantee she gonna act like the aggrieved party too

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

brakeless posted:

yeah there's just no way she could have seen the mother and her child in the crosswalk directly in front of her, no way

offered community service for killing a child lmao

https://twitter.com/2bmrap/status/1585314015433007115

"I couldn't see where I was driving" is a hell of a take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Some tactical victories in the war
https://twitter.com/janrosenow/status/1585593674326544384?t=QleToEbF8Sfko1mbkBN9TQ&s=19