Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

jokes posted:

I really, really want to know what CA is working on wrt TW:WH3. If it's just DLC that's fine but I'm curious if there are some large-scale reworks/overhauls or, hopefully, some sort of performance pass.

Wh2 had the update that cut ME turn times in half, at least for me, so in the past they have kept up on the performance stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I imagine the answer is “all of those things”. DLC for sure, probably launching alongside a faction rework of some sort, and technical improvements are kind of just always happening whether big or small.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The performance difference between the campaign map and the battles is still too wide, we still need separate graphics settings for the campaign map

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So, Oxyotl. Seems like I want to play him with a home territory and just do clandestine doomguy missions all over the world and come back rather than paint the map. Do I have to build the special homing beacon in my original home base to return from attacking something on the literal opposite end of the world? The map implies that I don't need to.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
For the thread's consideration: Ghorst theme music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RVeo79yfw0

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Anno posted:

I imagine the answer is “all of those things”. DLC for sure, probably launching alongside a faction rework of some sort, and technical improvements are kind of just always happening whether big or small.

I think it's time for a Brettonia Rework. They will split the faction into two, which exist in a permanent state of hellwar, where no matter how many peasants you ride down more just keep popping up.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

jokes posted:

I really, really want to know what CA is working on wrt TW:WH3. If it's just DLC that's fine but I'm curious if there are some large-scale reworks/overhauls or, hopefully, some sort of performance pass.

They mentioned there would be an updated roadmap soon, hopefully with the November update?

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

jokes posted:

Considering their track record I'd expect DLC with targeted faction/system reworks, but nothing that is going to fundamentally redo the whole game at say the army composition or how provinces/regions work. So things like an overhaul of rites, overhaul of most research trees over time, etc. We know they're looking at redoing a lot of red-line and buffs in general that apply to units for lords/heroes (they straight up said some of the WoC were aimed at figuring this out). Once a certain amount of DLC and systems are updated, they'll do some large scale performance overhaul for turn times and AI at the campaign layer once they feel its generally "playing right".

Everything above I'd be willing to put money on, following are things that range from "likely, but not sure of" to "loving insane, why would they even do that?".

They've gotta figure out battle map pathing. I really don't know how it got so messed up or what the targeting was for in terms of improvements, but it doesn't seem like they really hit. The AI is better at a few things, such as dodging artillery and spells (too much so, but its something different at least), and a bit better at moving in formation and trying to open up with something resembling a battle plan.

They need to unfuck diplomacy, in particular, find out what its actually for in the game. It feels underbaked at this time with how they've developed a lot of systems. The quick deals are a god send, and if you're keeping on top of it, I think its generally better than game 2s, but it doesn't really give much information about whats going on, and the AI diplomacy is just neurotic sometimes. It can spiral super loving hard, and there is no way to dig out, yet they've added all these cool alliance toys and systems. The pieces don't fit, they need to resolve that at some point, which could be as simple as trimming down and tightening their vision so it fits in the current package. Either way, lot of work to be done here.

Hero spam loving sucks, and relatedly, your allies spotting your ambushes also sucks. Only hostiles should be able to pull you out of ambush stance. I feel like a good half of the time, ambush stance is completely useless because of heroes and the like, which is clearly not the intent. I guess this is two points in one: heroes need some major updating on both skills and campaign AI use of them, and ambush stance (stances in general?) needs an overhaul. poo poo's a mess.

Map selection is my big white stag that I think they could actually nail, but is probably low priority/maybe actually really hard to untangle in the engine? Anyways, battle maps need a selection/influence option. A lot of battles end up getting decided by the field they are on, which is cool and good, but you having almost no influence on it is lovely and bad. Why the hell am I starting out at the bottom of a loving hill for a battle map when I was in encamp stance? Why am I ambushing this army with a gunline when I can't actually position gun lines to fire into the main army composition? Etc etc. This would be a GREAT additional axis to differentiate out factions and give lords/commander types some real distinction. Melee/commander lords having more selections, blue line improving options and placement, etc etc. You could really do a lot with this, and it would help change up battle a lot IMO. It would also make a lot of bad situations worse in good ways. Getting caught in march stance should be worse than it is, while being in encamp stance should be better than it is. Do something with this poo poo that isn't just stats. Stats are boring, give me tactics and choices!

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So, Oxyotl. Seems like I want to play him with a home territory and just do clandestine doomguy missions all over the world and come back rather than paint the map. Do I have to build the special homing beacon in my original home base to return from attacking something on the literal opposite end of the world? The map implies that I don't need to.

You can always teleport home to your main base, you don't need to build a beacon there, correct.

Well, if you're not in hostile territory, but the beacon doesn't change that either way. I usually use it to set up a second base of operations somewhere handy for murdering Chaos like that settlement Festus starts in or the Hellpit. Or just wherever I wanna murder a faction next.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Your capital city can always be teleported to as well as one hidden city you build the beacon in. Generally you just conquer the south pole and then just gently caress around and teleport to areas. Take cities, give to people you like it's super fun

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Being encamped should cause a fort / encampment battle like in other Total Wars

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Farecoal posted:

Being encamped should cause a fort / encampment battle like in other Total Wars

Not a bad way to use some of those minor settlement battemaps, some of them are basically forts

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
With regards to faction diplomacy, the Loreful Strategic Threat mod does a lot of good just by lowering anti-player bias as you grow in power and making the AI more predictable. The only problem is that it makes the AI too predictable, always fighting over the same areas from game to game instead of doing something different and resulting in unusual and fun matchups.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The performance difference between the campaign map and the battles is still too wide, we still need separate graphics settings for the campaign map

It’s funny that when I play, my graphics card and cpu cards are spinning at 100% until I go into a battle - the meat of the game - and my computer gets to take a break and the fans spin down to a reasonable level.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Speaking of strategic threat and alliances, something that happened in one of my games that was funny was a dwarf endgame crisis faction went kind of haywire and defeated and destroyed another dwarf faction they had been fighting with earlier in the game and grew even more powerful. I actually found this idea of an crisis faction going rogue to be pretty neat and even loreful as a dwarf faction that went nuts with grudges even against other deserves but according to CA, this is a bug. A shame.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

TaintedBalance posted:

Hero spam loving sucks, and relatedly, your allies spotting your ambushes also sucks. Only hostiles should be able to pull you out of ambush stance. I feel like a good half of the time, ambush stance is completely useless because of heroes and the like, which is clearly not the intent. I guess this is two points in one: heroes need some major updating on both skills and campaign AI use of them, and ambush stance (stances in general?) needs an overhaul. poo poo's a mess.

why the heck does the AI run so many non-embedded heros anyway? it doesn't seem like they even do anything most of the time other than flock around player armies when you're at war. actually using their non-embedded abilities seems really rare

sure, there's a scouting advantage, but you don't need multiple for that, and it's not of much use when you have no lords around to take advantage of the info

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

VSOKUL girl posted:

why the heck does the AI run so many non-embedded heros anyway? it doesn't seem like they even do anything most of the time other than flock around player armies when you're at war. actually using their non-embedded abilities seems really rare

sure, there's a scouting advantage, but you don't need multiple for that, and it's not of much use when you have no lords around to take advantage of the info

The amount of times ALLY heroes have ended up blocking my ability to ingress and attack our shared ENEMY isn't really that much, but still too drat high. A GRUDGE UPON HEROES!

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Speaking of embedded heroes, I didn't have any dark elf DLC when I played Malekith in 2, and Masters are great. Super tanky and giving them martial names of power is fun and inspired. I figured the few assassins I have I would use on the map, but I embedded one of the first in an emergency after Mazdamundi declared on me, and he deleted a slann lord almost immediately by sneaking up on him behind enemy lines and using the big +90% weapon damage buff. Another one saved my bacon against Kairos. Dark elf Lords are a bit boring (the beastmaster support buffs are ok I guess, and the mages seem mostly better than dread Lords since they both get dragons) but the heroes are all super cool.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
If CA added an option to only let heroes embed for players and AI and took them off the map entirely, I would not complain.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Hmm, a hotfix today that "Fixed an issue where units resurrected by a healing spell had their healing cap removed, granting them immortality."

That sounds a bit different than the models being brought back at full health. Is that just a different description of the same thing or did they fix something else?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Squibbles posted:

Hmm, a hotfix today that "Fixed an issue where units resurrected by a healing spell had their healing cap removed, granting them immortality."

That sounds a bit different than the models being brought back at full health. Is that just a different description of the same thing or did they fix something else?

I don't know if anyone checked the healing cap of the models coming back since the 100% health thing was visible enough and made the unit effectively invincible already.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

VSOKUL girl posted:

the advantage for the AI is annoying the player.

bloodychill posted:

If CA added an option to only let heroes embed for players and AI and took them off the map entirely, I would not complain.

some heroes are only really useful (or are most useful) on the campaign map. But also, some hero traits and abilities embedded in armies or on the map are still don't work.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
One of the chaos Boons is "extra 15% damage when using assault units or assault garrison" which is ludicrously powerful once you level it. That skill at max rank can basically wipe out 1/4 of the entire army or garrison, which is well more than an exalted hero can do in combat. It's boring, but very effective.

Also I hate having witch hunters in my army, they are basically campaign-only heroes for me.

Skills like that shouldn't exist, basically, and things like "damage walls" should fire automatically/be part of the siege building screen when you first besiege a walled town.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 26, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

bloodychill posted:

For real though. I disable enemy hero actions and it's never fun fighting a skaven assassin or whatever. It would be best if they just didn't exist and instead enemy AIs just had More Dudes

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Abstracting hero actions on the strategic level was one of 3K's many, many innovations to the series

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Squibbles posted:

Immortality in so much that they can be resurrected and healed ad infinium. You could just circle the messed up unit back to your necro to get passively healed and bring everything back forever. Why yes I tested out silly siege poo poo with all blood knights and some necros. It was silly and dumb, but broken as all hell.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bloodychill posted:

It’s funny that when I play, my graphics card and cpu cards are spinning at 100% until I go into a battle - the meat of the game - and my computer gets to take a break and the fans spin down to a reasonable level.

Yeah, I run the mods that turn off weather effects and fog on the campaign map and it helps a little bit

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

bloodychill posted:

Yeah this is something I content with as well.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I'm playing Grom and my best friends are Ikit Claw and Settra.
Time to eat this planet.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

TaintedBalance posted:

Immortality in so much that they can be resurrected and healed ad infinium. You could just circle the messed up unit back to your necro to get passively healed and bring everything back forever. Why yes I tested out silly siege poo poo with all blood knights and some necros. It was silly and dumb, but broken as all hell.

Haha incredible

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I know Bel'akor is apparently the easiest campaign in the game currently but is he at least fun? I'm kinda hankering for a proper hybrid chaosball that isn't the everdweeb.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Hell yea he's fun. If someone told me I couldn't play anything but Bel'akor campaigns ever again, that'd be fine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Psycho Landlord posted:

I know Bel'akor is apparently the easiest campaign in the game currently but is he at least fun? I'm kinda hankering for a proper hybrid chaosball that isn't the everdweeb.

Be'lakor is incredibly fun. You have more options than any other lord in the entire game, having basically full unrestricted access to almost the entire daemons of chaos and warriors of chaos rosters. You can pokemon every other WoC lord for variety or just run any of the many, many powerful generics they have access to(including Be'lakor's personal infinite access to undivided daemon princes). You can vassalize any human or elf faction on the planet if you want to stuff your armies full of swordmasters or war hydras or helblaster volley guns or whatever. You can set up teleport gates all over the planet so you can blink your best doomstacks across the world instantly.

He's very easy if you're leveraging all of his options, but he has so much variety that I don't get incredibly bored of him in 40 turns like I do with traditional baby mode steamroll factions like Taurox or Skarbrand.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 26, 2022

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Guess it's time be teleporting rear end in a top hat ex-elf daemon guy, thanks

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

I started my first WH3 campaign as Kislev (ice queen) on hard/hard and I think I expanded too quickly without understanding their mechanics. Now I'm on almost turn 100 and I want to start over. :cry:

Dandywalken posted:

Thats fine tbh. I was like 250 into my first IE when I wrapped it up, 100 is pretty normal.

Internet Explorer posted:

Okay! I will soldier through it. It's what Kislev would have wanted. :patriot:

Huh. Well, I accidentally got a short victory on turn 104, so I guess I wasn't doing too bad.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

Psycho Landlord posted:

Just make sure you use his gate ability right away - its even better now with the new placements. The start can feel really weird if you don't "get" his teleport stuff initially, but once you do it's just batshit insanity. Who cares if you're at war with the world? You can appear wherever you want, destroy a bunch of poo poo, and then peace out. And by peace out, I mean leave, but just stay at war forever. Laugh as idiots send one stack at a time to assault your island and just feed your new stacks and lords into the grinder.

God, if only Grimgor had some poo poo like that, he'd be perfect.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Been playing wood elves and they have a similar, albiet significantly more restricted, globetrotting mechanic. It's a hell of a lot of fun bouncing around the world to tell strange and exciting new creatures to get the gently caress off your lawn.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I love wood elf campaigns but I've been playing mostly Co-op IE campaigns these days and trying to make sure my buddies and I are in the same general area of the map. Easy enough to do w/ wood elves at the start, but once you secure your first forest, it kind of turns into "goodbye, my people need me" as I gently caress off across the world and leave my friend stuck in lovely Kislev lol

In general, Co-op works ok-ish (some desyncs and lag issues, but both got better in 2.2 patch) but it is crazy to see how much you can warp the world when you start with a military alliance and coordinated conquest. I did one with me as Khatep and my friend as Grombrindal, and it led to Malekith, Morathi, and Alith Anar being wiped from the map before turn 30, and a bunch of smaller factions becoming more powerful as they were not absorbed or extinct by those typically powerhouse AI factions

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

what's Bel'akor's deal anyway? Has he always been a demon, or was he corrupted like a lot of the other characters? Also, why is he leader of the demons?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

what's Bel'akor's deal anyway? Has he always been a demon, or was he corrupted like a lot of the other characters? Also, why is he leader of the demons?

First to ascend as Demon Prince after the portals collapsed and Chaos entered the Old World. Kicked a ton of elf and lizardmen rear end, then demanded to be put on equal status of the Big Four. This didn't go well, because the Ruinous Powers instead cursed him to be a forever Second Fiddle - responsible for anointing the Everchosen but never leading Chaos when it attempts and End Times. Bel'akor is annoyed with this arrangement, and is always on the lookup for a way to gently caress things up for everyone, Chaos included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

He's the first demon prince. Born mortal and rewarded with demonhood by the gods, unfortunately he got uppity with them and they cursed him into being a shadow and serve all the future Everchosen. He's basically demon Starscream at this point.