Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
aside from my struggle with mexico I have one minor nitpick in my US game

Philadelphia is a major US port but you can't build a port in Pennsylvania, the state doesn't have a coastline and accesses the ocean from the Delaware river (similar to London and the Thames) so I understand how that happened

the other, related and slightly larger, complaint is that you can't build ports in states bordering the Great Lakes which is just nonsensical, they don't have the tonnage of ocean ports but they exist and excluding them is just weird

things are going good otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
in the learn to play scenario what am I supposed to do after expanding the wheat farms? It just kinda ends after telling me to change production

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You’ve got plenty of wheat you’ve basically won already

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2879973374

Didn't take them long huh.

Also the anime mod has bodypillow factory that owns.

Horsebanger fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 26, 2022

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I don't quite understand what the "productivity" of a trade route means. What happens when it's in the negative?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You’ve got plenty of wheat you’ve basically won already

gently caress no I'm so far in the red economically I'm going to die in seconds and the tutorial won't trigger. Being south africa sucks.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I don't quite understand what the "productivity" of a trade route means. What happens when it's in the negative?

Trade ports are staffed by pops. When it's in the negative, it's not making the trade port any money.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

it means you're importing/exporting at a loss. this will tend to reduce the size of the trade route, so a trade route that is very unproductive is just a waste of bureaucracy. if you have bureaucracy to waste then it might be worthwhile to set up small unprofitable trade routes to sustain an industry in its early days anyway.

CharlestheHammer posted:

It feels like the ottoman should not just give up their capital like that

no, they shouldn't. pretty sure it's on the dev radar since almost every stream they've done has involved looking at the egypt-ottoman borders and groaning at egypt's wacky territorial acquisitions

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Gonna get me feet wet in Cuba tonight and turn it into an agrarian utopia

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

how the gently caress is paper costing me 14k thats almost half what i spend on wages

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Is it just me, or is the involvement of Major powers in early game wars tuned in a very silly manner? So I try starting as Afghanistan, and I head south to Conquer the first part of Baluchistan. Russia jumps in with a wargoal to Annex me; but I have no seacoast and they can't reach me. So I'm stuck in this war for years on end. I try another game, this time I want to see what Africa is like so I start as Buganda. First things first I invade Achole to the North, but France gets involved. France has no Malarial resistance and no way of reaching the African interior, but because they have taken no casualties their war weariness goes slower than mine. So the war is lost, in spite of the fact that I took the lands in dispute, because some weirdos a continent away who can't even reach us got "involved" and are wasting untold thousands sailing ships around coast I am nowhere near.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Diplomatic Plays might be my favorite mechanic.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

holy poo poo this map is pretty

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm still a bit confused on trade routes, and it's probably due to some things about the economy in general I haven't grokked yet.

So exporting a good basically creates x buy orders for that good on whatever market you're sending it to. Importing is the opposite, creating sell orders in your own market. What does this do other than manipulate the price? (And making more items available of course) And what exactly is happening when I am losing money on an export route? I get some tariffs from it, but where is the expense coming from? Is it the cost to produce the good?

Is there an in-depth article or YouTube explainer that goes over this on a more fundamental level?

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 26, 2022

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Well I'm immediately running Sweden into the ground. Any tips on how to balance construction industries?

Besides less then I have now...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I'm still a bit confused on trade routes, and it's probably due to some things about the economy in general I haven't grokked yet.

So exporting a good basically creates x buy orders for that good on whatever market you're sending it to. Importing is the opposite, creating sell orders in your own market. What does this do other than manipulate the price? (And making more items available of course) And what exactly is happening when I am losing money on an export route? I get some tariffs from it, but where is the expense coming from? Is it the cost to produce the good?

Is there an in-depth article or YouTube explainer that goes over this on a more fundamental level?

I mean the point of it is to manipulate the price and make the good available.

Imports and exports are done via a building called the trade market, and the money gained or lost from the trade is either taken or given from that building, so if you make unprofitable trades your trade center can't pay its workers.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Kibbles n Shits posted:

So exporting a good basically creates x buy orders for that good on whatever market you're sending it to. Importing is the opposite, creating sell orders in your own market. What does this do other than manipulate the price? (And making more items available of course) And what exactly is happening when I am losing money on an export route? I get some tariffs from it, but where is the expense coming from? Is it the cost to produce the good?l

Cost of the trade center and financial workers who staff it, possibly?

Also my understanding is that manipulating the price is the key mechanic - a good that’s cheap in your own market is also cheaper for your pops and industries to buy, allowing you to create a higher standard of living without increasing wages, or allowing you to make domestic industries more profitable as their inputs become cheaper.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

this is probably going to be worked out along this week (or next one), but at least the systems seem much more straightforward than the predecessors

truly would make Marx proud

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Russia has grabbed all of Sakhalin and Ainu before I could do poo poo about it. Japanese Jimmies status: Rustled.

However Japan seems to start in an excellent place for the economic game, I've just been building up my iron and tooling capacities and working on construction capacity and taxation abilities. One day we'll be mega rich and invent Nintendos and THEN St. Petersburg's gonna be sorry :argh:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

I started a game as Cape Colony to get a handle on things and it's 1860 and I'm a multicultural wonderland attracting so many immigrants my minting fuelled economy can't build fast enough to employ them. On the other hand I'm decades away from breaking off from the brits unless I'm missing something obvious.

Game gud.

Prism posted:

How DO you break away from the Brits?

If the Brits lose a war hard enough you can get thrown out too. Incidentally, this will destroy your entire economy if you spent the entire game using the British market to build it up without an alternative market to join. On the bright side, I seem to be able to run at massive max debt forever because it only briefs into default for a few seconds at a time for some reason? I can't do any construction though..I think I'll have to demolish a lot of my buildings and start from scratch which will uhh. Yeah. It'll be interesting to see if it's even salvageable. On the plus side before my economy was destroyed I was #10 in the world and my GDP was massive!

Also do not go full communism without proper preparation because losing all the income from taxing capitalists/investment fund will destroy you if the workers are not making enough dividends to tax. And also command economy has mandatory subsidies which, yeah if an entire industry goes out will destroy you.

Also. Uh yeah, Cape Colony is perhaps not the best starter nation.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Oh okay, so an unproductive trade route isn't really costing me (I.E the state) anything and it's the Trade Center's problem? Unless I have to subsidize it to keep it afloat, presumably, but I've never noticed it having issues. Meanwhile I still get the tariffs as national revenue.

Edit: Oh, I think I actually get it now. It's basically the price delta between the two markets minus tariffs. So if I'm importing a good at 10 gold and selling it on my market for 40 gold, my Trade Center is making 30 gold before tariffs. I get the tariffs as national revenue and perhaps a bit more tax from the owners of the trade center when it's profitable.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 26, 2022

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Ms Adequate posted:

Russia has grabbed all of Sakhalin and Ainu before I could do poo poo about it. Japanese Jimmies status: Rustled.

However Japan seems to start in an excellent place for the economic game, I've just been building up my iron and tooling capacities and working on construction capacity and taxation abilities. One day we'll be mega rich and invent Nintendos and THEN St. Petersburg's gonna be sorry :argh:

You have to try really hard to fail as Japan, I'm finding. Which isn't necessarily good, because everyone's not necessarily happy with the Shogunate but they're chill with it, the westerners are keeping their distance, my sole foreign policy interaction was Kramering into the Taiping Rebellion to weaken Qing and now Russia in particular loves me, and it's rolling up on 1886 and all I have to do is click a resource extractor up when the processors are at capacity/click a processor up when there's new resources to feed it/lower taxes when I hit the gold hoard cap.

Correction to that, the Shogunate absolutely loathes the Shogunate and refuses to stay in a governing coalition for more than a year or two at a time after a few common-sense legal changes. So I also don't get to interact with laws that much at all, since they're still by far the strongest interest group and I can't keep legitimacy high enough without them in government to push anything through--but it's "okay", they'll just sit there at 30 support/90 radicalism sulking and never actually kick off a realignment.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

diplomacy seems pretty wacky atm but im still getting stuck in.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Ending slavery in America was very underwhelming. Maybe it's a consequence of doing it early game when most pops aren't politically active, but the 10 year tension period came and went without any uprisings or negative events. Might stop this first run and play a smaller nation to get a better handle on things, I've been upgrading mostly at random to meet needs for various goods as they arise, which i know is sub-optimal in the long run.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Ending slavery in America was very underwhelming. Maybe it's a consequence of doing it early game when most pops aren't politically active, but the 10 year tension period came and went without any uprisings or negative events. Might stop this first run and play a smaller nation to get a better handle on things, I've been upgrading mostly at random to meet needs for various goods as they arise, which i know is sub-optimal in the long run.

think I'm gonna do the same, had the same experience with abolishing slavery but on top of that I just couldn't get the Western Frontier Expedition to succeed no matter how many times I tried it and not completing that is locking me out of Britain giving me Washington and Oregon as well as Russia selling Alaska to me, gonna try a Prussia game instead

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
how do you tell what needs a pop has?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Jarvisi posted:

gently caress no I'm so far in the red economically I'm going to die in seconds and the tutorial won't trigger. Being south africa sucks.

actually lol'd

Very similar experience with sweden tbh, only I just kept riding the line at like 0 +-100 gold after restarting a game that I defaulted in. I think I got too excited with the construction sectors. It was boring as sweden though tbh, im rerolling japan.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 26, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Nea posted:

how do you tell what needs a pop has?

Piell posted:

You also want to go to the Population Tab, and hover over each of the three types and see what people are spending a lot of money on.

You can see that Lower Strata people are buying a ton of liquor and clothes at very high prices, if I can bring down that cost their standard of living will go up

This is a good starting point. I tried to shore up my lower classes' basic amenities first, but I don't know if that's the proper strategy.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Does the game offer any scripted events? Like Admiral Perry's black ships triggering the Meiji Restoration?

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
I NEED MORE COAL

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

This is a good starting point. I tried to shore up my lower classes' basic amenities first, but I don't know if that's the proper strategy.

it doesn't display this for me. that's just hovering over pop needs inside the lower strata tooltip, yeah? for me it just explains what a pop need is

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

Does the game offer any scripted events? Like Admiral Perry's black ships triggering the Meiji Restoration?

As USA I saw Texas (or Mexico maybe) get an early event "General Santa Ana Captured" which immediately ended the Texan War of Independence in Texas' favor.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Drone posted:

Its 1862 in my Sweden tutorial run and my king, along with every other king in Europe, is immortal. Dudes like 94.

Good to know it's not just me

Keel over already, you reactionary old fart. :(

E: Besides Karl Johan refusing to die it's been a fun game. I built up the highest GPD/capita in the world through a combination of clothes and furniture. Then I started a war with Russia while they were fighting the germans, in which I barely occupied and stole Finland while going heavily into debt and dropping to #5 on GDP/capita. Russia: moderately scary.

Now scrambling a little for Africa, as one does. It's nice not to have to import sugar, dyes, fruit and so on, I can see why all the other Great Powers are down here being jerks.

Also enacting Multiculturalism and strict Church/State separation while having the highest wages in the world sure makes a lot of random people immigrate to your liberal utopia, which is why my Sweden has 8M people in it in 1864. Well, that and annexing Madagascar.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 26, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My computer can't handle this even on the lowest settings :sigh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Good news everygoblin!

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/anbennar-a-fantasy-total-conversion-for-victoria-3.1550296/

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Holy poo poo Sam Gamgee got buff. In awe at the size of that “small country”.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nea posted:

it doesn't display this for me. that's just hovering over pop needs inside the lower strata tooltip, yeah? for me it just explains what a pop need is

You want to hover over the percentage (ie the 18.4% on the image the)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I assume it's too early for someone to have made a useful tutorial? The in game one is useless and I can't figure out anything that's happening.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Grand Fromage posted:

I assume it's too early for someone to have made a useful tutorial? The in game one is useless and I can't figure out anything that's happening.

just keep pushing buttons and pulling/pushing levers until stuff happens!

The nested tooltips help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

A specter is haunting Cannor: the specter of gnomish robo-communism!