Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s a lot more of Eurasia/Africa to the south and east that we never see, and presumably the Americas are offscreen to the west somewhere now that Aman has been removed from the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, despite how the films sort of make it feel, there is an absolutely sprawling continent to the south of Gondor with a formerly Gondorian but now contested lands near the mouth of the Anduin river. Its where the dude that Theoden gets to kill in open combat comes from.

The size of the world is one of those things I grew to appreciate in the books, where there is in fact a much much larger world but there simply isn't a way for our heroes to really grasp it due to ongoing problems and its outside their scope mostly.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Alhazred posted:

Do you really think he wouldn't come up with a way to gently caress that up too?

he might but not if there's no near-peer powers around, we've seen he has no problem dominating orcs, men, and hobbits

Barudak posted:

I think the two other wizards he sent off on a wild goose chase would be not super pleased with him when he shows up. But yeah, he's really, really short sighted and petty and flips his poo poo when people don't recognize his greatness

actually the blue wizards showed up 2600 years before Saruman and most likely owned Sauron's plans among mannish kingdoms there

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

indigi posted:

he could of just ran away in the third option. go to the East or the other continent and build a new power base

That was the whole plan with the Shire. And if he hosed up his domination of tiny, peaceful little hobbits, why would he do much better with the easterlings or southrons?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he did own the Shire though. Gandalf coming back and essentially freeing Grima is what did him in

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A few fan world map ideas.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
:lol: at that second map

It bothers me a bit to be honest that the history of the various races is so centered on one continent. Even beyond concerns of representation it just goes against the supposed intent to make the world feel as lived-in as possible. The West is basically the sole theater of the entire history of the Elves, Dwarves, etc. and the focus of the Valar's fears and hopes, everything else gets, huuuuh, Men with some strange beasts?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's supposed to be a cultural mythology. the saxons didn’t include stories about Australia or the Yucatán peninsula in their cosmology because it was beyond their scope

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

indigi posted:

it's supposed to be a cultural mythology. the saxons didn’t include stories about Australia or the Yucatán peninsula in their cosmology because it was beyond their scope

I knew someone was gonna reply that. That mythology-for-England goal was important to his creative process but at times it's pretty clearly in contradiction with the more rounded secondary world design.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

like where

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

indigi posted:

he might but not if there's no near-peer powers around, we've seen he has no problem dominating orcs, men, and hobbits

He clearly has very big problems dominating hobbits and the orcs seems like they tolerate him because he's supported by Sauon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Sauron has to recruit humans to be his actual occupation force and his control of the hobbits is limited and brewing to revolt before the 4 show

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Saruman was always basically a hanger-on lackey to Sauron, the Starscream to his Megatron in multiple respects.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
"Dad, can we read The Silmarillion next?"
"No sweetheart, I love you too much."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Alhazred posted:

He clearly has very big problems dominating hobbits and the orcs seems like they tolerate him because he's supported by Sauon.

what problems did he have? none until Gandalf turned up

Barudak posted:

Yeah Sauron has to recruit humans to be his actual occupation force

that's what Morgoth and Sauron did too

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

indigi posted:

what problems did he have? none until Gandalf turned up

He could barely keep the hobbits in line and when Frodo showed up they revolted and took him down pretty easy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Alhazred posted:

He could barely keep the hobbits in line and when Frodo showed up they revolted and took him down pretty easy.

after Gandalf broke his staff and helped Theoden destroy his army yeah. and even then he was still in charge for six months

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Saruman was still a Maia, still magical, and still had his voice. He also had a small paramilitary of men/goblins. The fact that he failed miserably against a peasant army of tiny fat people was shameful.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sure, sure

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Saruman didn't really want to rule the shire as a new powerbase. He just wanted to destroy it as much as possibly to get back at Gandalf. The whole thing was petty revenge more or less

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yes that's the definition of owning

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

He failed at that too though. In the end Gandalf felt pity towards Saruman, not anger.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

and yet the shire was still owned

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Zesty posted:

A few fan world map ideas.

Think Sauron should have worried about the 'Nid invasion from the east that's gonna eat everything

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

when is that map supposed to be set? post-LotR Mordor and Eriador are under Gondorian control

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

YaketySass posted:

:lol: at that second map

It bothers me a bit to be honest that the history of the various races is so centered on one continent. Even beyond concerns of representation it just goes against the supposed intent to make the world feel as lived-in as possible. The West is basically the sole theater of the entire history of the Elves, Dwarves, etc. and the focus of the Valar's fears and hopes, everything else gets, huuuuh, Men with some strange beasts?

To be fair a lot of the Elves didn't go west and the story just basically drops them. It's heavily implied that there are still Avari out there somewhere, but the Silmarillion and LOTR are only really concerned with the Eldar. I'd say that there are probably elves all over the world.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

there's also dwarves east of Rhun who didn't really interact much with middle earth til the third age or later, and even then only scarcely

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The people have spoken, there has been unanimous demand for the silmarillion as a bedtime story. Lets see if I can race them to passing out.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Barudak posted:

The people have spoken, there has been unanimous demand for the silmarillion as a bedtime story. Lets see if I can race them to passing out.

Please keep us updated. I really enjoy your accounts of how the story is received, and I'm doing a second listen-through of The Silmarillion audiobook now that I know ... well, some of the names. (It's going to take finding my paperback and reading it to get them all to stick.)

Seriously, Theoden Khan is going to be with me for a while.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Silmarillion strikes me as basically the rough draft of the plot points of what could be a pretty banger story.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The published Silmarillion is a combination of various draft and finished versions of three major stories (Beren & Luthien, Children of Hurin, Fall of Gondolin—the first two mostly finished, the third mostly draft) with a bunch of smaller side stories appended to supporting information in “annalistic” or schematic formats that Tolkien used to organize his own conceptions of these stories. The process of combination was extremely complex and cut across loads and loads of texts written at different times for various reasons, not all of which agree with each other or were even intended for publication. Basically it was a misguided but noble attempt by Christopher to realize his dead father’s incomplete life’s work as best he could. Douglas Kane’s book “Arda Reconstructed” goes through chapter by chapter comparing it to the primary sources in the History of Middle-earth books, trying to figure out where exactly everything in it came from.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it wasn't misguided

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
ya christopher owned and should be thought of as his father's partner in creating the whole legendarium. half it all came out of poo poo christopher first heard thru bedtime stories and wartime correspondence anyways

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m glad he went with the flat world for The Silmarillion. I think the round cosmology (what he'd completed of it) isn't anywhere near as compelling, though maybe with another half decade's work it would have turned out good. starting with the Sun and Moon takes a whole lot of the majesty out of the pre-kinslaying mythos

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Flat world being turned into a round world is still a legit hella fun idea

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yeah especially with humans trying to attack and dethrone god being the trigger

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Book of Lost Tales has some just bonkers stuff in it, and honestly I liked that version of the story. That being said, I don't think Tolkien EVER wrote a complete prose version of the War of Wrath/Fall of Morgoth, so even that was incomplete.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/amayor/status/1584636794263392258

I never thought of Rohan in terms of horsegirls, but it seems obvious now.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Based on that twitter thread, Many of the orcs at Helms Deep were women too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

SlothfulCobra posted:

https://twitter.com/amayor/status/1584636794263392258

I never thought of Rohan in terms of horsegirls, but it seems obvious now.

interesting! never heard about that before