Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
They should have had Brian David Gilbert write them and assign each monster a fuckability score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQwgQRQJjfQ

This the only Sterling I wanna be seein

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

but like wtf is this lol

new, improved jokes, made with 100% recycled material

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cringe

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vampire survivor cannot be any more of a podcast game for me, it’s brainless (like a mummy)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jay Rust posted:

Vampire survivor cannot be any more of a podcast game for me, it’s brainless (like a mummy)

I just don't get it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There are numbers, and they’re going up

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If I wanted to see numbers go up id just weigh myself every day!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQwgQRQJjfQ

This the only Sterling I wanna be seein

this

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

FirstAidKite posted:

Sterling's good actually

I love that the Internet allows for cross dimensional communication with people who exist in realities entirely separate from my own.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

video games are cringe

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So am i

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i like sterling but they are possibly the least funny human on the planet

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
my monitor is flickering

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyDwuwwlXcQ

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SeXReX posted:

I love that the Internet allows for cross dimensional communication with people who exist in realities entirely separate from my own.

Sterling is good tho, they do lots of game coverage poo poo on important topics like awful treatment of game industry people.

though their nintendo stuff tends to be oddly angry, like you'd think bowser mugged them by how mad they've gotten at nintendo compared to coverage of other horrible crimes and ethical poo poo done by other devs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Braemha/status/1585017629072232448

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

FirstAidKite posted:

Sterling is good tho, they do lots of game coverage poo poo on important topics like awful treatment of game industry people.

though their nintendo stuff tends to be oddly angry, like you'd think bowser mugged them by how mad they've gotten at nintendo compared to coverage of other horrible crimes and ethical poo poo done by other devs

If they're good at documenting reality then they should stick to non fiction

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After joining the British Market suddenly the value of my Arts Academy skyrocketed... those Brits love those newfangled films coming out of "Salvywood"...

Vicky 3 is good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

them being good at those things and bad at comedy arent mutually exclusive

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

before I got bored of their videos I only recall one that wasn't just summarizing recent news headlines that anyone who'd follow them would already know about. And that's being generous and only counting their weekly content and not the daily stuff that is literally just reading headlines over b-roll

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sterling comes from an era of angry video game nerd rant videos.

Maybe they should try 6 hour video game essays instead

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 26, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

From my v limited perspective I always had the impression that Nintendo often gets a pass in these kinds of discussions, when, you know, they’re a corporation and therefore irredeemable

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like Sterling, but yeah, I can't really watch their videos because it's just like, yeah, I know. Yeah, I agree. There's nothing to get out of it because I've already seen these takes on Twitter for the last week.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

From my v limited perspective I always had the impression that Nintendo often gets a pass in these kinds of discussions, when, you know, they’re a corporation and therefore irredeemable

I mean getting into like console warrior territory though and not just lovely corporation territory

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sterling is in the same wheelhouse of people like yongyea who do next to nothing nowadays except read other peoples' news articles on camera, and i'd rather save myself 9:30 and just read it instead

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Speaking of video games, I played another chapter of TTYD in one sitting tonight and I have rescued my new trans ghost best friend from her incredibly mean sisters.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Speaking of video games, I played another chapter of TTYD in one sitting tonight and I have rescued my new trans ghost best friend from her incredibly mean sisters.

i'll never forgive nintendo's weird brand management practices for putting the kibosh on genuine creativity in the mario spinoffs. TTYD had such a memorable cast of characters and a story that feels like only a mario game could manage to pull off

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
origami king owns if you can make peace with the fact that the paper angle is so centered and that theyre never making another jrpg mechanically, but the weight of the mario brand on everything is a genuine shame lol

art direction is killer, great standalone adventure game, carries the spirit of the writing forward, and it's from a year where every jrpg's music team went completely insane so like ff7r it has a 40 hour soundtrack with 4000 songs for no reason

the latest puzzle combat gimmick is more contentious but the bosses make for cool highlights and you can avoid engaging in the rest for the most part after it gets long in the tooth. i certainly like it more than any other alternative we've gotten from a mario rpg since they stopped being mario rpgs at least

but it's definitely got this air over it where it's like yeah but what if you took all of this and dropped it off in an original world the mario cast just existed alongside. it works for the first paper mario because that game's whole thing is being simple and cute, but for something with the ambition and scope of ttyd or spm it feels stifling, and it's also a lot more rigid here than even the original.

like the passion and creativity from the team behind origami king is evident enough in what we do get that i wouldve loved to see them create another completely distinct setting. the environmental design really sings even within the confines of brand restriction (probably because it's less rigid than character design), but like, one of the most endearing parts of smrpg to me is that its front-to-back just a squaresoft rpg with mario and friends tagging along lol, and seeing them reinterpret IP mainstays in their style.

i really hope that whatever the internal reasoning behind this dedicated adherence is theyre allowed to or decide to flout it for their next title. if we get something unbounded by the same crew that made origami king i feel like it would stand toe-to-toe with the classic stuff.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
all that said i do get a big kick out of the winks about workaday mario poo poo in origami king but i feel like thats an easy have your cake and eat it too situation

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
also it has one of the sickest final dungeon themes in a jrpg in recent memory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahVleqoQGfg

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
am i going to post a fourth time in a row about origami king? yes.

when i call it a great adventure game i mean in terms of the field and secret design which is really playful and fun and stays consistently fresh on ideas, and in a lot of places feels like a top-shelf 2D zelda overworld in how you engage with it (and the 2d zelda thing carries into its dungeon design too) but i also think it channels the same breathless scenario and setpiece energy of like, a psychonauts or old sierra stuff. like each chapter is a pretty distinct pastiche of different genre conventions played really full-throatedly, down to one of them being an out-and-out wind waker microcosm, and the game goes out of its way to thread this into map structure and interactivity as much as the actual narrative flow and environmental undercurrent area-to-area.

but beyond the overarching chapter theme it just feels like they never met an idea they didnt like and want to dedicate full effort to, so you're bouncing between stuff like a stage play that runs through a bunch of musical homages like a west side story parody or ska swan lake performance, or a fully-sequenced game show, and they can't go a throwaway gag without making sure it's got all its ducks in a row. so like you'll get a minor sequence in one dungeon where you need to collect a dj's missing albums and a troupe to dance to them to solve a puzzle, and they completely needlessly dedicate like 30 minutes of different music genre send-ups including a legally-distinct cover of thriller. it's a kitchen sink experience that actually puts in the time to realize everything it throws in.

this is a complete aside but i also wanted to remark that i know the whole papercraft thing the paper mario sequels ran so hard with is kind of a mixed bag on reception which is why i opened with mentioning it being in fuller swing than ever here, but i actually really like its implementation in origami king honestly. i think it does wonders for the artstyle for one, but they also weave it into the scenarios and the writing beyond just a comedic level in a way i find clever and cool.

in summary you should not read all that and should instead try origami king for the nintendo switch sight unseen sometime without any baggage and maybe find yourself pleasantly surprised

and also listen to this cool battle theme of which origami king has many

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laPhKaLS62c

Violen fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Oct 26, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've been playing Marvel Snap and am surprised about how much I'm enjoying it. Having such a tightly limited design space for my deck (12 cards, singletons only) means I'm so much more interested to engage in deckbuilding. Like many free to play mobile games I'm sure I will eventually hit a wall that makes me just fall off the game but for now the presentation is neat, the game is fun, and most importantly each match is a tiny amount of time so it's very easy to fit some rounds in here and there around other stuff I need to be doing.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

repiv posted:

it was just added, they got jim sterling to write the entries

Fail move

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
origami king owns

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked origami king enough but it made me sad that the team still isn't being allowed to do the poo poo they want without the bizarre paper Mario IP restrictions

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
this is in the top 5 earworms of 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIHCjBmDSg8

okay im finished. im FINISHED

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

FirstAidKite posted:

Sterling's good actually

Very good at producing 10 to 20 minute long videos where theatrical rage about a video game topic is played out like a pantomime villain, yes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope there's a Bug Fables 2 someday because Bug Fables really scratched that classic Paper Mario itch and I just want more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Origami King is great it was on my goty list whatever year that was

Paper Mario fans get very weird about Miyamoto specifically idk is he really single handedly plotting to shred paper mario