Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I assume it's too early for someone to have made a useful tutorial? The in game one is useless and I can't figure out anything that's happening.

be careful with government administration buildings they are pricey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Oh okay, so an unproductive trade route isn't really costing me (I.E the state) anything and it's the Trade Center's problem? Unless I have to subsidize it to keep it afloat, presumably, but I've never noticed it having issues. Meanwhile I still get the tariffs as national revenue.

Edit: Oh, I think I actually get it now. It's basically the price delta between the two markets minus tariffs. So if I'm importing a good at 10 gold and selling it on my market for 40 gold, my Trade Center is making 30 gold before tariffs. I get the tariffs as national revenue and perhaps a bit more tax from the owners of the trade center when it's profitable.

fwiw I'm just going after green numbers and import/export recommendations

also my industrialists began to jump at the landowners' throats, 10/10 goty

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hmm,. don't actually seem to be getting infra from port buildings, despite them being set to cargo ports (and it's not the staffing...)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Horsebanger posted:

just keep pushing buttons and pulling/pushing levers until stuff happens!

The nested tooltips help

Nothing happens is the problem. Everything is grayed out, I've played four hours and haven't had the opportunity to do anything except like, build farms. Are you just supposed to play Europeans?

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Is anybody else getting the issue where they can't save games?

I thought it was it was an anti-malware or permissions issue but it's not triggering any alerts I can action.

Ed: fixed - for anyone with the same issue you have to do it manually as it doesn't generate any blocks on Windows Security.

MinistryofLard fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 26, 2022

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can play as the US too

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im playing as morocco

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Any protips on how to attract immigrants from other nations? Is it really just standard of living that drives most of it?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JosefStalinator posted:

Any protips on how to attract immigrants from other nations? Is it really just standard of living that drives most of it?

Anything that gives a migration attraction seems to trigger something that makes it so a region can become a migration "target" for a specific nationality. I saw that happen a couple times with the gold rush events in North America.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
So, what is the most absurd deviation from history you can come up with in Victoria 3? A Communist US Confederacy?

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019

JosefStalinator posted:

From what I've heard it's also affected by available jobs and if they'll be discriminated against.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

So, what is the most absurd deviation from history you can come up with in Victoria 3? A Communist US Confederacy?

Haitian Caribbean Imperium

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

AnEdgelord posted:

Anything that gives a migration attraction seems to trigger something that makes it so a region can become a migration "target" for a specific nationality. I saw that happen a couple times with the gold rush events in North America.

I was wondering what determined those things - do you just run good laws/high standard of living and they trigger after some time? Or is this scripted events we're talking about?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Played a few hours as sweden, and the domestic economy management is interesting, but I felt pretty isolated and lonely up there. It seemed like nothing was happening around me, and I was left without a clear idea of what my options were for expanding my economy more aggressively or what I was really supposed to do on the diplomatic stage. I'll give another country a try next, maybe in Italy where the early game progression and diplomatic situation is more clear and guided.

edit: actually I'll try the US since it seems like I shouldn't run out of things to do with them.

edit 2: hm, turns out the united states... has a lot of states

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 26, 2022

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

btw, as Sweden, I declared interest in the USA to import clothes (best target) but it seems that I am still not able to do so. Bug or am I missing something?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

JosefStalinator posted:

I was wondering what determined those things - do you just run good laws/high standard of living and they trigger after some time? Or is this scripted events we're talking about?

Which part? The gold rush events seem to be scripted and appear in their historical regions. The migration target seems to be triggered by something related to migration attraction given how consistently it happened in gold rush regions, though I had it in michigan as well so clearly its not tied to the gold, but beyond that I dont know.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

btw, as Sweden, I declared interest in the USA to import clothes (best target) but it seems that I am still not able to do so. Bug or am I missing something?

Oh, they are not immediate. They got activated after a while :buddy:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tenacious J posted:

As someone who knows nothing about politics or economics, nor history or geography, and only has a tenuous understanding of CK3 after about 90 hours of play - could I learn enough through the game to enjoy it?

i'll say that i'm very impressed, as a seasoned vicky 2 player, how legible the game is. they really want you to know as the player what consequences your actions have, w hy things are going badly, and what to do about it

for as complex as the game is, its also relatively playable out of the box without the massive learning curve of prior pdox titles

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Well, I feel like a Prussia game has helped me learn some of the basics(furniture and clothing print money, obligations are key), though I did run into a bug where I had to try and fight an unorganized nation that no longer existed.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
anyone got any of the italian unification stuff to actually kick in

it's 186* and most of the peninsula is under two sicilies market

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Played as Sweden and I built up my country, isolated Denmark diplomatically, then built up my army and navy and made a play to make them a puppet. Diplomatic phase came with every great power turning around and whistling as I mobilized. Denmark surrendered without a shot. Game owns 10/10.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gonna throw out a tip here that isn't immediately intuitive

running your budget in the red is Not Bad, in general. you're only starting to slide into the poo poo if you're over like 50% of your credit limit; doing stuff like paying high government and military wages can even pay for itself since you're putting money into the pockets of pops that can then be taxed through regular taxation and consumption taxes. i've noticed a real tendency in streams where people try to run austerity economies and that is like, the opposite of what you want to do. because basically every country on the planet starts underdeveloped, deficit spending produces enormous and immediate returns as you mobilize your pops into profitable industries. build fast enough in profitable industries and your credit limit will grow faster than your deficit which means you can just keep spending

that's not to say you shouldn't take a positive balance if you can get one, but the only tangible benefit of having gold reserves is being less fragile during war. if you anticipate a ruinous war then you probably don't want to be riding the line on your credit.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Another note: the prediction/estimation math might be seriously iffy

I adopted engines for mines in Norrland when the expected outcome was going to be "very awful, bad idea" and my income skyrocketed, becoming the most productive iron mine in the world

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think the warfare system is not very well thought out in terms of execution.

I'm france and I constantly have to send my armies back from europe when the fronts they're fighting from are eliminated instead of them just shifting to an adjacent front. Plus I can't tell whats going on.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I tried to become a rum magnate with Cuba but instead ran into my credit limit. The French helpfully paid the tab on it then I ran right back into the limit because I have no idea what's going on.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Jazerus posted:

gonna throw out a tip here that isn't immediately intuitive

running your budget in the red is Not Bad, in general. you're only starting to slide into the poo poo if you're over like 50% of your credit limit; doing stuff like paying high government and military wages can even pay for itself since you're putting money into the pockets of pops that can then be taxed through regular taxation and consumption taxes. i've noticed a real tendency in streams where people try to run austerity economies and that is like, the opposite of what you want to do. because basically every country on the planet starts underdeveloped, deficit spending produces enormous and immediate returns as you mobilize your pops into profitable industries. build fast enough in profitable industries and your credit limit will grow faster than your deficit which means you can just keep spending

that's not to say you shouldn't take a positive balance if you can get one, but the only tangible benefit of having gold reserves is being less fragile during war. if you anticipate a ruinous war then you probably don't want to be riding the line on your credit.

imo run headfirst into the credit limit if you're not going to be fighting a war for a decade or two it's better to get all the pops out of the peasant villages and into the new farms/mines/factories/cities asap

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How do you change your government type? All my options are grayed out despite showing huge enaction chances. Is it because I'm still a subject under the UK?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

How do you change your government type? All my options are grayed out despite showing huge enaction chances. Is it because I'm still a subject under the UK?

you need an interest group/party to support changing that law

iow you need vanguardist rural/trade union to change to council republic etc

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've been trying to get independence from the UK for a good 50 years but one condition is that they not be involved in a diplomatic play, but they are non-stop either at war or in like 3 plays at once. I don't have a single moment...

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I've been trying to get independence from the UK for a good 50 years but one condition is that they not be involved in a diplomatic play, but they are non-stop either at war or in like 3 plays at once. I don't have a single moment...

Wait, that seems bad. If your overlord is engaged in a war/overextended diplomatically it should be the ideal time to try for independence.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
drat, the US is friggin huge in this game. I think I'll try Japan to learn how things work, that way my smol brain can get a hold of how everything works in a high-Authority isolationist country.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

So I had a chance to play around with Belgium overnight. First thoughts: industrialisation is a race against time. I feel like the pressure on Belgium specifically at game start is to expand your iron and coal mines as fast as possible because (a) that feeds your pops and (b) you need cheap iron and coal for the rest of your industry. At game start you have a good chance of being the most profitable and largest scale producer of coal and iron for a while, until the big boys really get their engine humming. You can then use the wealth this generates to move up the value chain to the cool stuff like tooling etc.

So you want to pump construction at game start so you can throw up more coal and iron mines because the entire world will want to come set up trade routes with you for it in those initial years.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I did this in Viccy 2 and it owned.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Stairmaster posted:

I think the warfare system is not very well thought out in terms of execution.

I'm france and I constantly have to send my armies back from europe when the fronts they're fighting from are eliminated instead of them just shifting to an adjacent front. Plus I can't tell whats going on.

You have an opportunity to shift them before they make it home, but yeah, it’s a good foundation but it gets quite janky when you’re not fighting a neighbour.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's such a small thing, but the sound design is so great. Pressing the buttons feels very satisfying.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When is the Learn the Game objective considered completed?

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's such a small thing, but the sound design is so great. Pressing the buttons feels very satisfying.

Oh ya, the UI and soundscape is fuckin baller

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I feel like trying to learn the game through Chile is a newbie trap. I’m so confused and can only build like one building once a generation and all the buildings are predicted to be negative income

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

So I had a chance to play around with Belgium overnight. First thoughts: industrialisation is a race against time. I feel like the pressure on Belgium specifically at game start is to expand your iron and coal mines as fast as possible because (a) that feeds your pops and (b) you need cheap iron and coal for the rest of your industry. At game start you have a good chance of being the most profitable and largest scale producer of coal and iron for a while, until the big boys really get their engine humming. You can then use the wealth this generates to move up the value chain to the cool stuff like tooling etc.

So you want to pump construction at game start so you can throw up more coal and iron mines because the entire world will want to come set up trade routes with you for it in those initial years.

Lmao, that gameplay approach really checks out. Karl Marx himself wrote that Belgium was the model laboratory for study of industrial capitalism in Europe, exactly because of how intensely it developed, thanks to a lot of retroactive effects potentialized by its small territory packed with proper resources, concentrated population and French/British relations (besides their capital and commercial access) being favorable.

quote:

There exists but one country in the civilised world where every strike is eagerly and joyously turned into a pretext for the official massacre of the Working Class. That country of single blessedness is Belgium! The model state of continental constitutionalism, the snug, well-hedged, little paradise of the landlord, the capitalist, and the priest. The earth performs not more surely its yearly revolution than the Belgian Government its yearly Working Men’s massacre. The massacre of this year does not differ from last year’s massacre [Charleroi, Belgium in March 1868], but by the ghastlier number of its victims, the more hideous ferocity of an otherwise ridiculous army, the noisier jubilation of the clerical and capitalist press, and the intensified frivolity of the pretexts put forward by the Governmental butchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So uh, in my US game I noticed the whigs won the election in 1836 and Abe Lincoln was president already. I put the whigs in power in government and pushed the "ban slavery" button and... it just worked? And there was no civil war? Everyone is cool with it? The southern planters even like me still! So next I pushed the "multiculturalism" button to abolish racial segregation, and that just worked too???

Is it supposed to be like this?