Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Supposed image of the Brazil crash alien

source: some guy on Twitter

The pic's been around for like 8 years tho lol

On the one hand, nah

On the other hand, that's exactly how it would go in this dumbass timeline, like someone said earlier the real deal footage and pics are probably already out there

Tekne posted:

honestly couldn't give less of a poo poo if I'm a living despair battery or a descendant of a discarded worker species

just give me HD bird footage, let me relive the magic again before the great anthrocene climate project is completed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The battle over nuremberg was planetary zoo security kicking out rowdy visitors on a free admission day

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Captive giant pandas not only refusing to mate but also destroying their own habitat and actively making war on themselves

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Google Butt posted:

been a while since I've said but would like to reiterate that I will absolutely dog walk an alien, German suplex it through a coffee table

If it looks monsterous then I'm going to yell "Henshin!" with all the conviction in my heart, and hope a belt appears.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

Captive giant pandas not only refusing to mate but also destroying their own habitat and actively making war on themselves

If we refused to mate it would be fine, it's our insatiable horniness that's led to so many problems

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

typhus posted:

*staggers out of psychedelic therapy* good news gang, death isn't real

Death is but a door. Time is but a window. I'll be back

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

ok this is grim but also hella sci fi

humans are the biological weapons launched ina kinda blanket like pattern all across the universe which is why we bootlick and want praise and exploit all and the civ that launched us got eradicated loooooong fkn before we even had a moon and now monke has to prove to the rest of the universe that we are not a dirty bomb and actually can lick boot some more but this time for realsies

but theres many monke planets and the offspring of a biological weapon thats long outlasted its creators is gonna somehow plug the universes bunghole with hair and filth

Sleekly has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Oct 26, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We're the xenomorphs, I like it

I admire our purity

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

give me those aliens as the october surprise. do it. give me the aliens. i am ready for this poo poo to kick into 2nd reverse gear

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
https://twitter.com/tomdelonge/status/1585043217233612800

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks Tom

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Tom deBong

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Wow

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

The fact that Blink 182 singer Thomas "The" Long is leading us into the next Kuhnian revolution is itself part of said Kuhnian revolution, since its chief characteristic seems to be a rapid (and possibly traumatic) shift into the utterly bizarre and inexplicable

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

i mean it's "real" like your body definitely ceases to be, and for the living around you, you are gone in some sense but like, that's not the end for you, nope

This sounds a lot like religion, gross and disgusting,

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

religion is good actually, it's good for your mind. meaning is good for you, attuning with what's beyond is good for you, in whatever way you can manage.

religion as a tool of the state is basically completely loving evil but like it's very dishonest to say that's always what it is.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Analytic idealism actually!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Riot Bimbo posted:

religion is good actually, it's good for your mind. meaning is good for you, attuning with what's beyond is good for you, in whatever way you can manage.

religion as a tool of the state is basically completely loving evil but like it's very dishonest to say that's always what it is.

Theres no reason to believe in anything beyond, so anyone smart wouldnt

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Why have humans from all times and all cultures been doing it since forever then? :shrug:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Why have humans from all times and all cultures been doing it since forever then? :shrug:

Religion had its place in the past to serve as a cultural touchstone and help explain the universe, but i think we have enough data that we no longer need spirituality for anything useful, much less for all the ways its currently used to harm people

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Humans are notoriously dumb.

It's fine and probably correct to be spiritual but all of the main organised religions were created/manipulated to control the masses and they're lame.

Believing in jesus is the same as thinking ETs look like greys, the most basic belief.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

A lot of confusion between religion on the one hand and "spirituality" (which I also dislike as a term, but w/e, I mean anything that considers anything outside of the realm of reductive materialism) ITT ATM

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

[You have found] no reason to believe in anything beyond. Which is fine, I've been there, I remember it well, I cant blame anyone for never moving past a worldview they've never had meaningfuly challenged but seriously

Religion had its place in the past to serve as a cultural touchstone and help explain the universe, but i think we have enough data that we no longer need spirituality for anything useful, much less for all the ways its currently used to harm people

This kind of stuff is juvenile as hell, and is you largely projecting your own experience to generalize beyond the confines of what's reasonable

And like hey in fairness I do that and most people do that but you should stop mistaking your personal certainty as self evidently reasonable. I don't think it would change your mind overmuch in a fundamental way but it sounds like you need to make an effort to achieve some level of religious literacy rather than parroting redditor tier insight into something you've clearly given little thought

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
When I died I encountered a howling void

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Butternubs posted:

Humans are notoriously dumb.

It's fine and probably correct to be spiritual but all of the main organised religions were created/manipulated to control the masses and they're lame.

Believing in jesus is the same as thinking ETs look like greys, the most basic belief.

The post I quoted made no mention of religions.

We know prehistoric humans believed in an afterlife and a spirit world, and it seems most humans through history did, regardless of religions.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

shut up and play Fat Lip

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

As Art Bell would say "Listen, I believe in God, I do. I know there has to be someone up there. But some of these more... Fundementalist Christians, well I am open to convincing but remain skeptical of their party line let's just say that. Pat Buchanan however is just great. Top of the hour. We're going to take a short break and then it's open lines."

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lampsacus posted:

As Art Bell would say "Listen, I believe in God, I do. I know there has to be someone up there. But some of these more... Fundementalist Christians, well I am open to convincing but remain skeptical of their party line let's just say that. Pat Buchanan however is just great. Top of the hour. We're going to take a short break and then it's open lines."

The US were partly founded by religious fundies (and they still have a tremendous influence) so yes, it's understable if Americans are wary of religions. In a way the US today are like the Iran or Saudi Arabia of the Christian world. I would probably be anti-religious too if I was born in the US

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

The post I quoted made no mention of religions.

We know prehistoric humans believed in an afterlife and a spirit world, and it seems most humans through history did, regardless of religions.

Yeah but we all know they had tiny caveman brains, unlike us wholly enlightened modern humans

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah but we all know they had tiny caveman brains

Probably from all the weed they were smoking in the stone age

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Probably from all the weed they were smoking in the stone age

More like the STONED age amirite :grin:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

More like the STONED age amirite :grin:

:hmmyes:

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

Egg Moron posted:

shut up and play Fat Lip

The band got back together and their new single is complete dogshit lol.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

tom will probably convince everyone whose never heard punk music so im on board

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

like thats almost eveyone rsally

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

presemt company excluded

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
pffft religion? I gain all my wisdom from fandom and other such rational things

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yes, wildcard line, you are on the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol
Oh is that teh Torah? Cringe. I get MY meanjng from appeasing a hypothetical future ai that might have time traveling powers