Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken_Pirate
May 7, 2007
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/25/cursed-city-our-heroes-make-their-final-stand-against-the-vampires/

Final Cursed City expansion, no new miniatures, expects you to buy ~£120 of existing models like the last one.

I'm really gutted by this, WHQ is basically my only interaction with the hobby as to me they're nicely varied painting projects with the added incentive of a game or two once I've got the set painted up. I love painting but just have no motivation when it's random one-off models. Cursed City was right up my street with the gothic horror theme and the miniatures in the core set.

I went in on Nightwars as the models all fit decently with the theme and were relatively new releases, but the line up for this? It's one thing that this is the final expansion and we've had no new custom designed models for the setting, but asking people to buy £120 worth of sets, 4/5 of which are more than a decade old (from what I can tell) is a real piss take. What exactly are wights or grave guard going to add that existing models from the core box don't have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Listening to the local Warhammer store manager defend the Cursed City expansions is frustrating. Normally he's pretty level headed and admits when stuff is overpriced and understands why the customers aren't a fan. But with this expansions it's "well they'll have most of a Soulblight army after" and "no one just plays Warhammer Quest games, everyone interested in fantasy plays AoS already"

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The cursed city expansions seem like a result of production issues. I could see games workshop not wanting to waste development work on the expansions, but not having production capacity on a niche product.
If it’s not that, it is a pretty baffling decision.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
The final nail in the coffin (ha!) of the new expansion is that it requires you to have Nightwars, which sold out in about ten minutes, had loads of third party preorders get cancelled, and according to customer services, isn’t planned to be reprinted. So even if the new one was interesting I wouldn’t be able to play it.

I’m now totally checked out of Cursed City, which is a real shame as I loved painting the original box and I’d enjoyed what I’d played so far.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's basically the same thing that happened with Blackstone Fortress, except you got the miniatures.

I wish they'd reprint those, even just as rules, because gently caress what these scalpers are asking

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Not only does it suck that you have to buy models if you don't already own them/proxies, but it also sucks that it seems like even less content than the first expansion - a booklet, 25 tokens, and 19 cards. Hopefully it's not $50 like Nightwars...

Floppychop posted:

But with this expansions it's "well they'll have most of a Soulblight army after""

I've also got a lot of Genestealers and Hybrids for Spacehulk, but it doesn't mean I want to play GSC in 40K.

fallingdownjoe posted:

The final nail in the coffin (ha!) of the new expansion is that it requires you to have Nightwars, which sold out in about ten minutes, had loads of third party preorders get cancelled, and according to customer services, isn’t planned to be reprinted. So even if the new one was interesting I wouldn’t be able to play it.

I’m now totally checked out of Cursed City, which is a real shame as I loved painting the original box and I’d enjoyed what I’d played so far.

But Nightwars is in stock right now?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
This announcement really disappoints me. I wasn't thrilled with how Nightwars was set up, but I gave it a pass due to all the bullshittery surrounding Cursed City and the SBG models. However, it hasn't been a full month since the release of Nightwars, people are still sour over having to buy the separate mini's, and now they're gearing up to do it again already? And these aren't even new SBG minis, these are old Grave Guard & Wight King models (apparently Volga has nothing to do with Cursed City, even though we're bringing in Dire Wolves now?). And, unless they're for some reason holding this back as a surprise, no new heroes! Just more prestige classes

If the first box was what they originally had planned for expansion content, this feels like what they struggled to put together during COVID restrictions.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've also got a lot of Genestealers and Hybrids for Spacehulk, but it doesn't mean I want to play GSC in 40K.

I brought that point up, but he couldn't understand that people might not want to play a faction even if they have "most of the army already".

Kind of a bummer, I think he's spent too long marinating in GW corporate and it's started to warp his thoughts to "The Company is always right".

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

berzerkmonkey posted:

But Nightwars is in stock right now?

Not in the UK it’s not. Apparently there was a restock at one point but they never announced it and it only lasted a couple of hours. Now it’s back to being “No longer available”.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I have a confession to make. I keep getting Nighthaunt and Soulblight confused whenever I see the name Soulblight.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Randalor posted:

I have a confession to make. I keep getting Nighthaunt and Soulblight confused whenever I see the name Soulblight.

I always have to actively try to remember Soulblight Gravelords. It's a cool name, but I just want to default to Vampire Counts...

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Nighthaunt darkspookers

Soulblight Blighting blights

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Crackbone posted:

Nighthaunt darkspookers

Soulblight Blighting blights

Paul Blart Mall Plarps

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I wanted Kill Team Shadowvaults a lot but since it's gone out of stock now, and new boxes come out fairly frequently, how likely is GW to do a rerun of a specific box like that that was in high demand these days? I remember they did a longer run for Indomitus but that was obvs the launch of 9th 40k.

I'm kind of tempted to get Into the Dark since the terrain was my main reason but I rathered the teams in Shadowvaults, and dont need the extra core book in ITD.

Sorry if this was already covered.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

I wanted Kill Team Shadowvaults a lot but since it's gone out of stock now, and new boxes come out fairly frequently, how likely is GW to do a rerun of a specific box like that that was in high demand these days? I remember they did a longer run for Indomitus but that was obvs the launch of 9th 40k.

I'm kind of tempted to get Into the Dark since the terrain was my main reason but I rathered the teams in Shadowvaults, and dont need the extra core book in ITD.

Zero. There is a zero percent chance. They're going to put everything out separately anyway, so there is no reason for them to re-release the KT big boxes. I'm still seeing it online, so I'd say either that or your FLGS is your best bet.

I'm a broken record here, but if you see a GW release that you really like, do everything in your power to pick it up - history has shown that it's probably not going to get reprinted/re-released.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Search LGS that ship for them. My store has two, and they will ship. You will pay full retail, but them the breaks. I tried to PM you the URL, but you don't have them :cry:

EDIT: Actually, they seem to be in stock all over the place: https://www.gamenerdz.com/warhammer-40k-kill-team-shadowvaults

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Cursed City seems like they had a plan for cool expansions, then whatever happened with the production issues caused them to majorly sour on the project. They then got rid of the model component of the expansions and just put out some glorified card packs instead. The running idea was that some of the components were harder to produce than others, probably the fancy cardboard tiles. I think some of their minis intended for the expansions showed up in the Soulblight line. In any case no question they are burning off the line now, a shame, Warhammer Quest is a very different beast to every other GW line and this could well be it going into hibernation for several years. Hopefully when they revisit it, they learn from some of the cutting edge dungeon crawlers and revamp it further.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

HidaO-Win posted:

Cursed City seems like they had a plan for cool expansions, then whatever happened with the production issues caused them to majorly sour on the project. They then got rid of the model component of the expansions and just put out some glorified card packs instead. The running idea was that some of the components were harder to produce than others, probably the fancy cardboard tiles. I think some of their minis intended for the expansions showed up in the Soulblight line. In any case no question they are burning off the line now, a shame, Warhammer Quest is a very different beast to every other GW line and this could well be it going into hibernation for several years. Hopefully when they revisit it, they learn from some of the cutting edge dungeon crawlers and revamp it further.

Yeah, it definitely seems like the intended expansion minis just ended up as regular releases. Maybe they'll put out the Blackstone expansion models as single regular releases eventually too.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, it definitely seems like the intended expansion minis just ended up as regular releases. Maybe they'll put out the Blackstone expansion models as single regular releases eventually too.

I wish that would happen, cause that Zoat goes for $100+ by itself these days. The main problem I see with them doing that is the majority of BSF mini’s, outside of the Chaos models, are unaffiliated with any 40K factions. So, if they wanted to release them now, it’d basically have to be a narrative set or Kill Team box set thing. In fact, I’m pretty sure they have already re-released one of the BSF units: the Chaos cultists led by the guy with the big flamethrower.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Desfore posted:

I wish that would happen, cause that Zoat goes for $100+ by itself these days. The main problem I see with them doing that is the majority of BSF mini’s, outside of the Chaos models, are unaffiliated with any 40K factions. So, if they wanted to release them now, it’d basically have to be a narrative set or Kill Team box set thing. In fact, I’m pretty sure they have already re-released one of the BSF units: the Chaos cultists led by the guy with the big flamethrower.

The commissar and ogryn from the Blooded Kill Team are from BSF iirc

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

If you mainly want terrain, you might want to wait for this. It looks like it is 2x In the Dark terrain sets.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/10/08/warhammer-day-reveals-bloody-boarding-actions-in-warhammer-40000/

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Xposted from the 40k thread:

For people who use the magnets-and-baking sheets method of storing minis... how do you actually store the baking sheets when they have minis on them? Everything I can think to google for baking sheet storage just gives me vertical storage for baking sheets and they don't look sturdy enough to take the weight of a baking sheet and minis (or the sheets would be slanted and likely to slide out).

Edit: Apparently I was just googling the wrong thing. "Cooling racks" look like the term that I should have been looking for.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 26, 2022

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Thanks for the replies, I saw them mostly out of stock at online retailers and shops near me, and I would have liked to get it from amazon uk if possible because I have a few giftcards to use there, but it seems the only available there are marked up like 30% by resellers. Il l try look around for other suppliers though

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Has anyone tried the newer Intercession Squad Kill Team rules? Some friends and I are going to play a few games and I need to put a squad together. Any particular build I should go with?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm an idiot, what's the difference between the Underworlds starter set and any of the named Underworld sets?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Funzo posted:

Has anyone tried the newer Intercession Squad Kill Team rules? Some friends and I are going to play a few games and I need to put a squad together. Any particular build I should go with?

Covered pretty well on Command Point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9V9YiNLfIg

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Lumpy posted:

Covered pretty well on Command Point: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9V9YiNLfIg

Cool, I'll give it a watch, thanks.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Randalor posted:

I'm an idiot, what's the difference between the Underworlds starter set and any of the named Underworld sets?

The starter set is just the barebones core rules (basically, what we had at launch - no magic, no special hexes, no funky keyworded cards, that kind of thing) and two warbands with just their faction decks and no extra cards. The named "seasonal" sets introduce rules updates and seasonal rules and give you more cards. Basically, the starter set will teach you the core mechanics of the game (but that's it), and the seasonal sets expand that and add more wrinkles. If you just want to see what Underworlds is about the starter set is fine (the core game is plenty fun! and you can keep using the warbands in the fully-fleshed-out game), but if you want to play with other people or get into deckbuilding you'll want to get the latest seasonal core box, or at least download the latest rules document to see what's been changed or updated.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

But Gnarlwood would have the full rules included, and I wouldn't need to buy the starter box separately? I'm just wanting to make sure this isn't a "You need a seperate book if you buy KT Nachmund" situation.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Randalor posted:

But Gnarlwood would have the full rules included, and I wouldn't need to buy the starter box separately? I'm just wanting to make sure this isn't a "You need a seperate book if you buy KT Nachmund" situation.
Correct. If you get a seasonal box like Gnarlwood there's absolutely no need to get the starter box (unless you want the warbands).

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I bought shadowvault, into the dark, and alot of zone mortalis floors, and walls and columns and Ive preordered the terrain only shadowvault box as well.

The plan is to make a 6*4 Space crusade table with the original game in the middle expanding out, and have a big mixed marines vs Hulk scum fight with second Ed rules.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Kharnifex posted:

I bought shadowvault, into the dark, and alot of zone mortalis floors, and walls and columns and Ive preordered the terrain only shadowvault box as well.

The plan is to make a 6*4 Space crusade table with the original game in the middle expanding out, and have a big mixed marines vs Hulk scum fight with second Ed rules.

There's a shadowvault terrain only box?! where?! How much? I would gladly buy that over a full expansion! link please!

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 29, 2022

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

There's a shadowvault terrain only box?! where?! How much? I would gladly buy that over a full expansion! link please!

I've only been told it's on the cards, and I got put on my game stores list, you could always get the terrain only into the dark instead of waiting for something that is speculation? But they were pretty sure.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Kharnifex posted:

I've only been told it's on the cards, and I got put on my game stores list, you could always get the terrain only into the dark instead of waiting for something that is speculation? But they were pretty sure.

ah ok, well either ways I'm gonna wait until I see what soulshackle looks like before I make any purchasing decisions, if soul shackle looks super cool and different I might just splurge on a into the dark+Soul Shackle combo if I end up liking kill team enough. Shadowvault's factions did not entice me enough to want to get it.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Al-Saqr posted:

ah ok, well either ways I'm gonna wait until I see what soulshackle looks like before I make any purchasing decisions, if soul shackle looks super cool and different I might just splurge on a into the dark+Soul Shackle combo if I end up liking kill team enough. Shadowvault's factions did not entice me enough to want to get it.

I know what you mean, the Necrons are a gift for a friend and I might sell off the other team, the terrain is key!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

WHC mentioned that it's coming for 40k with the new campaign book.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it's like a boarding action terrain pack or some such, comes with the terrain from Into the Dark but x2 essentially (so what you'd get if you bought into the dark and shadowvaults).

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah it's like a boarding action terrain pack or some such, comes with the terrain from Into the Dark but x2 essentially (so what you'd get if you bought into the dark and shadowvaults).

Oh wow! Ok depending on the price I’ll get that if soulshackle has a genuinely unique terrain from Into the dark and Shadowvaults.

I’ll still get an imperial navy mini set though I genuinely like how they look and their gameplay seems super fun.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 30, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I've been Making and printing rules reference sheet and data cards for my upcoming Kill Team Box, it's pretty fun! I bought some heavy card paper to use in my printer, on the one side of the paper it will be the unit details made in the Data Card App, but on the other I went around online looking for cool art to go on the back:-

This is the back of the main Rules reference Sheet:-

This is the back of the Krieg cards:-

This is the back of the Kommando Cards:-

I'll probably make Tiny Tokens for the equipment each unit will wield and their point values, I'm trying to make everything as ready, easily digestible and cool presentation wise as possible for the people I will be introducing the game to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

I've been Making and printing rules reference sheet and data cards for my upcoming Kill Team Box, it's pretty fun! I bought some heavy card paper to use in my printer, on the one side of the paper it will be the unit details made in the Data Card App, but on the other I went around online looking for cool art to go on the back:-

This is the back of the main Rules reference Sheet:-

Dang that looks cool. Looking forward to seeing your progress!