Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

thetoughestbean posted:

No I meant Man-Wolf and Stargod

They sort of are except Man-Wolf is, y'know, a man-wolf but Stargod has a sword and also magic powers. Stargod is to Man-Wolf as Blastoise is to Squirtle and holy poo poo do I hate myself for thinking of that analogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

Uncanny X-Men #144 is a good one, from right after the Dark Phoenix Saga in Claremont's run. Cyclops happens upon him in his wandering soul searching adventures.

Yeah this is one of my favorite issues ever. Great Cyclops story and a great Man-Thing story.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

They sort of are except Man-Wolf is, y'know, a man-wolf but Stargod has a sword and also magic powers. Stargod is to Man-Wolf as Blastoise is to Squirtle and holy poo poo do I hate myself for thinking of that analogy
Wait who is the Wartortle in this.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
regular john jameson, obviously.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Noob Saibot posted:

Are there any Man-Thing comics worth reading?

Gerbers run is a classic and his time on the thunderbolts is fun

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

When I was a kid I had some Spider-Man books by Diane Duane. I remember them being fun, easy reads with airport thriller style titles like The Venom Factor and The Lizard Equation. As someone whose prior experience of Spider-Man was limited to the 90s cartoon, I was really struck by how she characterised Venom.

It was pretty clear that Duane actually wanted to write a book about Venom - they appeared in all the books I read and there were multiple chapters from their perspective. One thing I really liked was that while Venom was nominally a hero, they were still obsessed with killing Spidey (requiring Duane to produce plenty of different reasons why they have to reluctantly team up) and I'm assuming that this reflected their status in the comics of the time. What are the recommended comics runs (in Spider-Man or their own title) for good guy Venom that would still happily kill and eat Parker?

I just remembered one bit where Venom and Spider-Man are looking for some bigger threat and Venom declares that he will "eat their spleen". Spidey ribs them, saying that they don't know where the spleen is and wouldn't know what one was if they were looking at it. Venom slowly turns to fix Spidey with a pointed stare and grins "We could find out. It would be fun." That's the kind of vibe I'm looking for.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Chewie getting judged in this week's Captain Marvel is definitely high up on my favorite parts of this entire AXE event.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We've got a few Punisher fan/historians on here, always a fascinating character. What do you make of the latest happenings?

Today this War Journal Brother comic came out, the solicit says it's the ol' John Wick bounty out everybody wants to kill him thingy.

Also, the recap preview page on Amazon for it says, and I quote, "The hand made Frank an offer he couldn't refuse: Become their high slayer in exchange for the resurrection of his long dead wife Maria. Frank is just one in a long line of fabled fists of the beast." Etc.

I had heard about the Hand thing, and that run looks ho-hum. That thing with his wife sure is notable shark jumping as well. Next Uncle Ben is going to be riding shotgun with Frank. It is fascinating indeed to follow this character.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 13, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is far from the strangest thing castle has gone through. unfortunately, it's also boring.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is far from the strangest thing castle has gone through. unfortunately, it's also boring.

Was the Frankcastle stuff fun?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Definitely he's been through kooky stuff, but this is a more subtle yet damning jump of the shark to me. It's just not a good sign that they even thought of this story, or that it would be of interest.

In a perfect world, somehow Gerry Conway or somebody would win the Punisher rights, and it could go to Dark Horse and wherever and do cool stuff like Conan. And we'd get weird European Punisher from Ablaze etc.

Now that I think of it, they should just make a numbers filed off bootleg Punisher series. The Judgmenter.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Skwirl posted:

imo, yes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Heavy Metal posted:

We've got a few Punisher fan/historians on here, always a fascinating character. What do you make of the latest happenings?

Today this War Journal Brother comic came out, the solicit says it's the ol' John Wick bounty out everybody wants to kill him thingy.

Also, the recap preview page on Amazon for it says, and I quote, "The hand made Frank an offer he couldn't refuse: Become their high slayer in exchange for the resurrection of his long dead wife Maria. Frank is just one in a long line of fabled fists of the beast." Etc.

I had heard about the Hand thing, and that run looks ho-hum. That thing with his wife sure is notable shark jumping as well. Next Uncle Ben is going to be riding shotgun with Frank. It is fascinating indeed to follow this character.

They really just need to permanently kill off or retire Frank as Punisher, his usual status quo hasn't fit as part of the regular Marvel universe in the better part of 30 years(and even in older stuff he's always been a bit of an odd duck) and attempts to make him more "super" always either fall completely flat or get undone for a "return to status quo", they just need to get rid of him and stick the Punisher name onto a new character that isn't attached to such an ill fitting and outdated status quo

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I've missed Weapon X Gallery Edition this year and now it's completely oop. I'm kinda out of the loop w/ comic books nowadays, do these editions get reprints? Is there any site I can check with reprint info?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

I agree the direction seems pretty dumb and uninteresting. The only reason it's still on my radar at all is because they seem to be setting up a crossover in Zdarsky's Daredevil, which I'm a little iffy on despite enjoying this run and liking Zdarsky's writing in general.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

Top Punisher arc of all time.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Heavy Metal posted:

the two war journal issues by gronbekk have been alright because they are both the "classic" style one shots where he just goes and kills some bad guys and not be part of aaron's main plot. i would rather her making more jane foster valkyrie though, i liked that book :smith:

aaron's book, however, still stinks

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

site posted:

the two war journal issues by gronbekk have been alright because they are both the "classic" style one shots where he just goes and kills some bad guys and not be part of aaron's main plot. i would rather her making more jane foster valkyrie though, i liked that book :smith:

aaron's book, however, still stinks

Gronbekk is getting to guest write a small, Valkyrie focused Thor arc in December that I'm really looking forward too. Really wish they'd just give her an ongoing already.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AXE: Iron Fist was pretty fun. It's a team-up between the current Iron Fist and Loki, with the storyline being (of course) that they're being judged.

Both pass their tests for the same reason: they're strong in their convictions, though for different reasons. Lin Lie refuses to kill Shou-Lao to get the "real" Iron Fist power, so Shou-Lao grants it to him anyway. Loki simply continually insists that he doesn't care how he's judged.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

glitchwraith posted:

Gronbekk is getting to guest write a small, Valkyrie focused Thor arc in December that I'm really looking forward too. Really wish they'd just give her an ongoing already.

Getting a guest writer for Thor is great. I feel like Hulk and Thor were both going OK, then the crossover just killed both books. Big delays didn't help certainly

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i know I'm not the only Javier Rodriguez fan here so this interview may be of some interest

https://twitter.com/sktchdcomic/status/1582415600076615684?t=Kjk0afKqrvnrPQxPnpkr6g&s=19

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He tried to find out? Did Javier banish him to the Dark Dimension for discovering the deal he made to be such a brilliant artist?

Hmmm, can you still tweet from the Dark Dimension?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Rhyno posted:

Hmmm, can you still tweet from the Dark Dimension?

You can only tweet from the Dark Dimension. That's what makes it Dark.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Defenders Beyond is really good and has already swerved the one thing I would have hated by not actually killing Taaia

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
Is this the current thread?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I mean I'm not the Speaker for the Thread but yeah, I think this is it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not. We keep the current thread behind a velvet rope and only allow the coolest Marvel Zombies in. You're free to post here tho.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Is this the current thread?

No, it's way behind the times. For instance, I've been reading a buttload of old Daredevil and recently got into the Frank Miller era. What surprised me is how he had been hyped up before he even started pencilling. Like I thought he was going to become a big deal over the course of his run but no, in the issue before he started they were like oh gently caress everybody you're not going to believe the artist we've got coming up! Which also made me think of the penciller at the time who was probably thinking well I'll just gently caress off then, eh?

But they were right because Miller's art and then later also his stories truly do rule. Very much lives up to the hype back then and the legendary status it enjoys today.

About to start issue 181! As far as heroes and their famous issue numbers go I don't think there's a bigger one for Daredevil.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Daredevil 181 is so drat good. That one issue would be stretched out into a whole arc these days.

If it were up to me, that Mister Sinister avatar would be the new hard hat Spider-Man, and every poster would have their own Sinister Secret.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Open Marriage Night posted:

If it were up to me, that Mister Sinister avatar would be the new hard hat Spider-Man, and every poster would have their own Sinister Secret.

that would honestly be worth losing Hard Hat Spidey for

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lobok posted:

No, it's way behind the times. For instance, I've been reading a buttload of old Daredevil and recently got into the Frank Miller era. What surprised me is how he had been hyped up before he even started pencilling. Like I thought he was going to become a big deal over the course of his run but no, in the issue before he started they were like oh gently caress everybody you're not going to believe the artist we've got coming up! Which also made me think of the penciller at the time who was probably thinking well I'll just gently caress off then, eh?
Part of that is just how the "Marvel Bullpen Bulletins" style of promotion works, every new talent is a future legend, every new character is a sensational find, every story an epic likely to be talked about for decades. Sometimes they get it right, other times it's Omega the Unknown.

As for the previous penciller being told to gently caress off, it doesn't really seem like there WAS a regular penciler for Daredevil for a year or two prior to Miller coming on:

138: John Byrne
139-140: Sal Buscema
141: Gil Kane and William Robert Brown
142-143: William Robert Brown
144: Lee Elias
145: George Tuska
146-148: Gil Kane
149-150: Carmine Infantino
151: Gil Kane
152: Carmine Infantino
153-154: Gene Colan
155: Frank Robbins
156-157: Gene Colan
158: Frank Miller

The book was "on life support" according to people working at Marvel on the time, and it was mostly just being hacked out mostly by veterans who could turn the book around quick on a deadline, and the writing bounced around a lot too. The book was bimonthly for half of that pre-Miller period, and it was still frequently co-written or plotted by one person and scripted by another, almost all of those writers (Wolfman, Mantlo, Shooter, Conway, Mary Jo Duffy) were also on staff as editors. When Roger McKenzie and Frank Miller were the sole writer and penciller on Daredevil #158-160 in spring of 1979, it was the first time in three years that a creative team did three consecutive issues of Daredevil.

I feel like that's something that's missing (or at least very different) in the modern era of comics, you don't get those books which keep running on life-support/autopilot until they give someone a shot at doing something different with minimal interference/stakes, and that's how you end up with Miller's Daredevil, Claremont's X-Men, Simonson's Thor, Moore's Swamp Thing, Morrison's Doom Patrol, PAD's Hulk, etc. etc. etc.

You still get oddball takes from newer writers, but there's a lot more pressure to have a Big New First Issue and none of the old benign neglect of "oh hey sales are just marginally up with the new team, let's give them a year or two."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
uh excuse me, check the title this is the gold key comics thread

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edge & Christian posted:

Part of that is just how the "Marvel Bullpen Bulletins" style of promotion works, every new talent is a future legend, every new character is a sensational find, every story an epic likely to be talked about for decades. Sometimes they get it right, other times it's Omega the Unknown.

As for the previous penciller being told to gently caress off, it doesn't really seem like there WAS a regular penciler for Daredevil for a year or two prior to Miller coming on

I did one or two story arcs before Miller, which I usually like to do before reading a classic run so I see what the "baseline" was. To see how much things really changed. And I do remember the art being inconsistent, yeah.

I think part of it is that Marvel Unlimited is pretty light on letters and Bullpen pages where a lot of the hype is normally done. This stood out to me because it was right on the first splash page credits (not the end of the previous issue as I had remembered). Just feel like I haven't seen that too often.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Edge & Christian posted:

As for the previous penciller being told to gently caress off, it doesn't really seem like there WAS a regular penciler for Daredevil for a year or two prior to Miller coming on:

138: John Byrne
139-140: Sal Buscema
141: Gil Kane and William Robert Brown
142-143: William Robert Brown
144: Lee Elias
145: George Tuska
146-148: Gil Kane
149-150: Carmine Infantino
151: Gil Kane
152: Carmine Infantino
153-154: Gene Colan
155: Frank Robbins
156-157: Gene Colan
158: Frank Miller

The book was "on life support" according to people working at Marvel on the time, and it was mostly just being hacked out mostly by veterans who could turn the book around quick on a deadline, and the writing bounced around a lot too. The book was bimonthly for half of that pre-Miller period, and it was still frequently co-written or plotted by one person and scripted by another, almost all of those writers (Wolfman, Mantlo, Shooter, Conway, Mary Jo Duffy) were also on staff as editors. When Roger McKenzie and Frank Miller were the sole writer and penciller on Daredevil #158-160 in spring of 1979, it was the first time in three years that a creative team did three consecutive issues of Daredevil.

I feel like that's something that's missing (or at least very different) in the modern era of comics, you don't get those books which keep running on life-support/autopilot until they give someone a shot at doing something different with minimal interference/stakes, and that's how you end up with Miller's Daredevil, Claremont's X-Men, Simonson's Thor, Moore's Swamp Thing, Morrison's Doom Patrol, PAD's Hulk, etc. etc. etc.

You still get oddball takes from newer writers, but there's a lot more pressure to have a Big New First Issue and none of the old benign neglect of "oh hey sales are just marginally up with the new team, let's give them a year or two."

Wasn’t the story behind Miller’s run that they just didn’t care and wanted to put a fresh face on the book to pencil it, but than Roger McKenzie said “gently caress it, I’m retiring” and they just turned the whole thing over to Miller? Frank was basically given free reign as nobody gave a poo poo about the book and he reinvented the book as a gritty crime drama with ninjas and it just took right the hell off.

Iron Man was basically in the same boat as it sold worse than Daredevil and they just told Layton and Micheline and Romita Jr to do whatever, and they turned it into this whole cutting edge technology/industrial espionage book and brought it back from the brink.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is the character of Gateway racist? It seems pretty racist.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gripweed posted:

Is the character of Gateway racist? It seems pretty racist.

How so?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

I don't think Gateway is racist, per se, but he's not really a fully-fleshed character and definitely draws on some tropes of indigenous mysticism (I don't know if he also draws on any tropes or stereotypes specific to Aboriginal culture but I wouldn't be shocked to find out that he does.) I don't think you could create a character like that these days but I also don't think there was any ill-intent on Claremont's part, for whatever that's worth.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I think most characters are a bundle of stereotypes and tropes related to their culture, it just depends on which ones are used and how. Are Dani Moonstar’s headband and braids a trope? Yup. Are they negative? Probably not. She doesn’t wear a headdress after all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Cloks posted:

How so?

He's Marvel's most prominent aboriginal Australian character and he never talks, only wears a loincloth, is very mysterious and spiritual, he uses a bullroarer to make his powers go, and I've seen him drawn a lot with exaggerated proportions that make him seem more like a leprechaun than a human.

rantmo posted:

I don't think Gateway is racist, per se, but he's not really a fully-fleshed character and definitely draws on some tropes of indigenous mysticism (I don't know if he also draws on any tropes or stereotypes specific to Aboriginal culture but I wouldn't be shocked to find out that he does.) I don't think you could create a character like that these days but I also don't think there was any ill-intent on Claremont's part, for whatever that's worth.

Yeah from what I've read it definitely doesn't seem intentionally hateful, but also with zero thought to what an aboriginal human being might actually be like.

Joe Fisto posted:

I think most characters are a bundle of stereotypes and tropes related to their culture, it just depends on which ones are used and how. Are Dani Moonstar’s headband and braids a trope? Yup. Are they negative? Probably not. She doesn’t wear a headdress after all.

Sure Moonstar and Thunderbird and Warpath are all created in the stereotypical image of "an Indian" but they also talk in full sentences and have character motivations and such. And there's Forge right there who, aside from the headband, isn't a stereotypical Native American at all

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Manifold seems like a fair replacement for Gateway.