Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I was interested in MW2 when they announced that they were bringing back some of the maps from the original MW2, but the file size of the game pretty much killed it for me. Not only does it take up more than 10% of my hard drive space, it requires more than 10% of my monthly data cap from ISP (gently caress data caps) just to download it, that’s just too much to justify for one game.

I’ve been loving the compression on PS5 that makes the installs smaller than on PS4, but this sounds like a huge step backwards to me. I thought the modern consoles meant we were done with these gigantic file sizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sounds like a terrible reason not to play the game OP

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Pack up your PS5 and take it to your local library or Starbucks and download the game over their wifi.

The downside is you will have to repeat this task any time they push out a big update. Good luck goon.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Vikar Jerome posted:

sick. Wonder if they'll cancel it again like last time around witcher 2 time lol.

Gotta keep this poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPTS4TF1ygU

(Lol @ anyone who played witcher 1 in top down mode lol)

I'm the maniac who not only liked the isometric mode, I preferred it and I hope they have it as an option in the remake (They totally won't :( )

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
how much of your data cap does playing online games take

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Casnorf posted:

all of it

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I was interested in MW2 when they announced that they were bringing back some of the maps from the original MW2, but the file size of the game pretty much killed it for me. Not only does it take up more than 10% of my hard drive space, it requires more than 10% of my monthly data cap from ISP (gently caress data caps) just to download it, that’s just too much to justify for one game.

I’ve been loving the compression on PS5 that makes the installs smaller than on PS4, but this sounds like a huge step backwards to me. I thought the modern consoles meant we were done with these gigantic file sizes.

It's not just compression, there's less redundant data in PS5 games. Since SSDs have no moving parts, there's thankfully no need to carefully arrange data or keep multiple copies to minimise how quickly it can be found.

A disc or HDD can load data fairly quickly if it's all next to each other, but every time the head reading data needs to jump to a different place that seek time becomes the bottleneck.

I still have no idea how the early GTA games managed to stream not just the city but also cars and pedestrians while also playing a radio. They had tricks like reusing the same car models with different paint jobs if it doesn't have time to load a brand new one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I thought the modern consoles meant we were done with these gigantic file sizes.

Lol no, now we just get 4k textures for everything to make up the difference

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Casnorf posted:

Surprisingly little. But we do get close to our 1 TB cap with a family of people all using the internet over the course of the month. ISPs are lovely in my area, I only gave two options in my city and they both have data caps with fees for going over. It sucks but it’s not something I can control, and doubly sucks that some of these tentpole releases are so huge.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

sick. Wonder if they'll cancel it again like last time around witcher 2 time lol.

Gotta keep this poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPTS4TF1ygU

(Lol @ anyone who played witcher 1 in top down mode lol)

Isometric mode was the better way to play The Witcher 1 considering the gameplay.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Witcher 1 was poopoo

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Witcher 1 was poopoo

Turn your monitor on

(Witcher 1 was clunky as hell but was good, come on QoP)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I found Witcher 1 pretty engrossing at the time - a weird, interesting world, morally grey world, and a fighting system that was just a touch more involved that isometric RPGs like Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights were. Finished the game, did all the quests, quite enjoyed it.

I would absolutely not play it again today though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The main problem I had with it was the combat was mashy. The writing and world-building were real cool though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I never played Witcher 1 or 2. Started with 3, which I loved and have played through multiple times. I'll probably play a UE5 remake of 1.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of data caps, if you were hoping to save some downloading by getting Modern Warfare 2 on disc...

https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/status/1585322748120748033?s=20&t=ApY7QHdFfgymrwIYdgBotQ

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The ol box with a cdkey strikes again

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Lmao why even bother producing the discs at that point

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Surprisingly little. But we do get close to our 1 TB cap with a family of people all using the internet over the course of the month. ISPs are lovely in my area, I only gave two options in my city and they both have data caps with fees for going over. It sucks but it’s not something I can control, and doubly sucks that some of these tentpole releases are so huge.

Fair enough. I know a lot of online multiplayer is necessarily bandwidth-optimized but I really don't know how that compares to streaming a movie or something.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The amount of data needed for an online game is actually quite low, far less than streaming a video from YouTube for the equivalent amount of time would be.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Lmao why even bother producing the discs at that point

It's definitely absurd especially since I suspect the PS5 disc spec requires the disc to be a dual-layered 66 gig disc. The main advantage is that the game's license is still tied to the disc, so you can exchange it, sell it, whatever, which you can't do with a digital version of the game.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Whatever data finds its way to a CoD disc is gonna get overwritten by a patch anyway, maybe on day 1. Given how CoD is basically a service game at this point, It's probably for the best to make the initial install small and get you to the download update prompt as quickly as possible.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Witcher 1 with Witcher 3 combat/gameplay sounds soooooo nice

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I really don't have a clue what I'm talking about but online gaming uses a tiny amount of data kinda like how old school quake replays were just a set of commands that played out the game state sorta like chess notation.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really don't have a clue what I'm talking about but online gaming uses a tiny amount of data kinda like how old school quake replays were just a set of commands that played out the game state sorta like chess notation.

This is basically still how it works

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Can't wait for the PS14 where they finally start optimizing games down to only be 3TBs instead of 20 Exobytes.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cartridges should have won

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RareAcumen posted:

Can't wait for the PS14 where they finally start optimizing games down to only be 3TBs instead of 20 Exobytes.

Look, we need all those textures for proper 32K rendering

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Guillermus posted:

Turn your monitor on

(Witcher 1 was clunky as hell but was good, come on QoP)

They should replace the clunky combat with more Gwent.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wasnt there a mod for witcher 3 which started a Gwent game any time you hit an enemy

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Feels Villeneuve posted:

wasnt there a mod for witcher 3 which started a Gwent game any time you hit an enemy

yes

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

We've got a play for Playstation folks to play colla dooty mw2 together:

https://discord.gg/hVEtN8Zy

Just join our Playstation goon discord, scroll down to game discussions and join the call of duty mw2 thread.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

univbee posted:

Speaking of data caps, if you were hoping to save some downloading by getting Modern Warfare 2 on disc...

https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/status/1585322748120748033?s=20&t=ApY7QHdFfgymrwIYdgBotQ

:eyepop:

acksplode posted:

Whatever data finds its way to a CoD disc is gonna get overwritten by a patch anyway, maybe on day 1. Given how CoD is basically a service game at this point, It's probably for the best to make the initial install small and get you to the download update prompt as quickly as possible.

I mean...they could at least stick the singleplayer on the disc.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
It is just nioh 2

Harry lollmao potter is the collection lol imagine adding that to your library lmfao

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1585292732964040704?t=HJCqYZxgY6eNWCHgBl9WEQ&s=19

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Vikar Jerome posted:

Harry lollmao potter is the collection lol imagine adding that to your library lmfao

it's a lego game so it's acceptable

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Vikar Jerome posted:

It is just nioh 2

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1585292732964040704?t=HJCqYZxgY6eNWCHgBl9WEQ&s=19

wrong collection imo. but i will play heavenly bodies.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If I ain't never played no nioh before, is it ok to start with 2?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Shandalar.....

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Augus posted:

it's a lego game so it's acceptable

It's a good one too!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Vikar Jerome posted:

It is just nioh 2

Lego games are overall fun to play, I don't see the problem. I will add them to my library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If I ain't never played no nioh before, is it ok to start with 2?

yes, Nioh 2 is basically just a straight upgrade over Nioh 1 in every regard.
there are a few story references to the first game but this isn't a game you play for the story