Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Origami King is great it was on my goty list whatever year that was

Paper Mario fans get very weird about Miyamoto specifically idk is he really single handedly plotting to shred paper mario

Quoting an Iwata Asks about Sticker Star

quote:

Aside from wanting us to change the atmosphere a lot, there were two main things that Miyamoto-san said from the start of the project—"It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" and "As much as possible, complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world.

e: and from a later interview with Paper Mario producer Kensuke Tanabe

quote:

Since Paper Mario: Sticker Star, it’s no longer possible to modify Mario characters or to create original characters that touch on the Mario universe. That means that if we aren’t using Mario characters for bosses, we need to create original characters with designs that don’t involve the Mario universe at all, like we’ve done with Olly and the stationery bosses.

Whether a character becomes an all-time hit or not isn’t up to us on the development side; I think it’s more the case that characters that fans truly accept naturally end up that way. I hope that the origami siblings in Paper Mario: The Origami King will stay in players’ memories, even if they do only end up appearing in this title.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

I've been playing Marvel Snap and am surprised about how much I'm enjoying it. Having such a tightly limited design space for my deck (12 cards, singletons only) means I'm so much more interested to engage in deckbuilding. Like many free to play mobile games I'm sure I will eventually hit a wall that makes me just fall off the game but for now the presentation is neat, the game is fun, and most importantly each match is a tiny amount of time so it's very easy to fit some rounds in here and there around other stuff I need to be doing.

Marvel Snap is real real good. Unlock poo poo just by playing the game.
I bought the season pass for $15 AUD, cause I've been getting my moneys worth, and if you beat the battle pass within time the next pass is free.

I joined a mate on Marvel Strike Force for a bit, and that is nothing but chores on a loving treadmill to unlock The Right Combination of characters to beat poo poo.

Been playing and unlocking cards, and because it's Just 12 Cards, you can make some really fun little decks.
This could honestly make a really really good LCG

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

My name is Legion, for we are many

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Maybe the character should fall down and break their back in a few places.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Oct 26, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1585247249306882049?t=GAXc8mOlR4sOITOXsTl0jw&s=19

No big releases until March, but they can still announce Ace Attorney 7, right? :shepface:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

origami king owns

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Violen posted:

origami king owns if you can make peace with the fact that the paper angle is so centered and that theyre never making another jrpg mechanically, but the weight of the mario brand on everything is a genuine shame lol

art direction is killer, great standalone adventure game, carries the spirit of the writing forward, and it's from a year where every jrpg's music team went completely insane so like ff7r it has a 40 hour soundtrack with 4000 songs for no reason

the latest puzzle combat gimmick is more contentious but the bosses make for cool highlights and you can avoid engaging in the rest for the most part after it gets long in the tooth. i certainly like it more than any other alternative we've gotten from a mario rpg since they stopped being mario rpgs at least

but it's definitely got this air over it where it's like yeah but what if you took all of this and dropped it off in an original world the mario cast just existed alongside. it works for the first paper mario because that game's whole thing is being simple and cute, but for something with the ambition and scope of ttyd or spm it feels stifling, and it's also a lot more rigid here than even the original.

like the passion and creativity from the team behind origami king is evident enough in what we do get that i wouldve loved to see them create another completely distinct setting. the environmental design really sings even within the confines of brand restriction (probably because it's less rigid than character design), but like, one of the most endearing parts of smrpg to me is that its front-to-back just a squaresoft rpg with mario and friends tagging along lol, and seeing them reinterpret IP mainstays in their style.

i really hope that whatever the internal reasoning behind this dedicated adherence is theyre allowed to or decide to flout it for their next title. if we get something unbounded by the same crew that made origami king i feel like it would stand toe-to-toe with the classic stuff.

this except i think it already stands with the first two games

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Ask not why Korea is long, but ask yourself why you haven't made it longer

absence makes korea grow longer

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Origami King is great it was on my goty list whatever year that was

Paper Mario fans get very weird about Miyamoto specifically idk is he really single handedly plotting to shred paper mario

he specifically told IntSys to make Sticker Star the way they did and with the later games the devs have talked about the restrictions they still work under. Miyamoto's also just kind of lame about the series in general since he's talked about getting mad at the minor plot elements and new characters in koizumi's games

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i hear he commissioned a print version of rosalina's storybook just so he could tear it up in front of the team

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Hopefully his true passions, bland cgi movies and theme parks, will distract him enough for Mario games to get weird

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Yeah all the Rosalina stuff had to get snuck by him in galaxy which is why galaxy 2 had no plot at all

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/punished_stu/status/1584850258814586882?s=20&t=D1xj5n3qD1OxZf9kEf94iA

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1585270860658532359?t=l-Xa-0OL-Dz3FK34U6swDA&s=19

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cat

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

I feel like any game cursed with Eurojank controls should get to pass the "Does this REALLY need a remake?" discourse.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Witcher 1 is very jank and pretty good so this is fairly good news. Game could definitely use a remake.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Being cursed with Eurojank is like having a skeleton made out of cheese.

The doctors are offering you new bones Geralt. You will get a full re-boning.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Sex cards in Unreal Engine 5

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah as negative as I am about pointless remakes, playing what amounts to a standalone NWN2 mod in 2022 is a bit rough

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Far as crpg remakes go, Witcher 1 definitely needs it more than KOTOR

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah as negative as I am about pointless remakes, playing what amounts to a standalone NWN2 mod in 2022 is a bit rough
It's actually a NWN1 mod :eng101:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I've started a new run of Castlevania: CotM and am having a much better time now that the significantly easier Harmony of Dissonance has eased me in a bit and honed my muscle memory for the inputs. Actually got past the Machine Tower and beat that big goat demon and his snot bubble powers (after some save state abuse, I'll admit.)

Am now in the lower levels of the castle with all the harpys and bugs. How the gently caress are you supposed to deal with those little mosquito bastards that fly straight at you the second they come on-screen and poison you? I only have so many antidotes, and having to stand in place and use the DSS combo that chews through your mana bar to heal you after every encounter is getting a touch tedious.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I feel like any game cursed with Eurojank controls should get to pass the "Does this REALLY need a remake?" discourse.

I think the question is how does a remake made by the company known for Cyberpunk play like.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

WaltherFeng posted:

I think the question is how does a remake made by the company known for Cyberpunk play like.
They're also known for the hit game series "The Witcher" OP

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Probably ok because Cyberpunk has the best gameplay of CDProjekt's games

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They seem to be outsourcing the development of the remake to Fools Theory, a studio that helped with Baldur's Gate III, the Divinity Original Sin 2 DLC, and Hellblade.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Volte posted:

They're also known for the hit game series "The Witcher" OP

Which was worse at launch. Witcher 1 or Cyberpunk.

I haven't actually played W1 so I don't know

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Which was worse at launch. Witcher 1 or Cyberpunk.

I haven't actually played W1 so I don't know

W1 gameplay is dire, it makes W3 look like Devil May Cry. It's extreme eurojank.

pretty good game tho

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think people overstate how bad the gameplay in Witcher 1 is. I played it this year for the first time since 2008 and ended up enjoying the gameplay more than the gameplay in Witcher 2. Wouldn't translate very well to console though so I'm sure they'll replace the combat with Witcher 3 style combat, for better or worse.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Vicky 2 could use a remake...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1585291423938940928?t=sew9RmV8eBLTl2b3g5Repg&s=19

Higher ups leaving the studio shortly before a game launches is...not usually a good sign lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do we have any date yet for the Suicide Squad game, might not be 'shortly' lol

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
2 Gaming Questions:

1: Bayonetta 1 LPs: Do you need to get them all in the same run through the level? I wasn't paying attention and didn't get the first kilgore LP fragment in chapter 9, got the other two, finished the mission, went back to get the first one in verse 1, and it didn't say 'yay you got all the bits' so I assume if I want kilgore I need to play chapter 9 again and get them all on the same run? It's not that bad, but it does take like 20-25 minutes so I probably won't be doing that since I want to get to b2, which I've only finished once.

2: Bowser's fury: Do I have to get every single available cat shine to finish the game (I am on 44 and I need 50 I think?) The reason I ask is because in Mario Odyssey, the only mario game I've ever finished (yeah, no nintendo stuff as a kid), there were optional moons I think, if that's what they were. You didn't have to get every single one to advance. In Bowser's fury, I really don't want to get the blue coins on the invisible tower. I heard there are 100 cat shines in total but are they all available from the start, or are 50 unlocked when you finish the game? I can't get to the island in the middle either, is that the final boss stage or is that something I should be able to get to at this point?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Do we have any date yet for the Suicide Squad game, might not be 'shortly' lol

First half of 2023.

It could also be another merger related thing.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 26, 2022

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
They call it suicide squad because when you see it yo-

oh no

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1585291423938940928?t=sew9RmV8eBLTl2b3g5Repg&s=19

Higher ups leaving the studio shortly before a game launches is...not usually a good sign lol

This is being framed as a completely amicable departure, but I would go out on a limb to guess that SS:KtJL is not the game that Hill and Walker (and probably a lot of other folks at Rocksteady) had wanted to make to follow up Arkham Knight. Wonder if we'll get the full story, but it's pretty safe to say that their original post-Arkham Knight project was cancelled; remember that WB Montreal was developing their own Suicide Squad game at one point, which wasn't axed until late 2016; seems like WB mismanaged both studios behind the Arkham games pretty badly, given their lack of output.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Barry Convex posted:

This is being framed as a completely amicable departure, but I would go out on a limb to guess that SS:KtJL is not the game that Hill and Walker (and probably a lot of other folks at Rocksteady) had wanted to make to follow up Arkham Knight. Wonder if we'll get the full story, but it's pretty safe to say that their original post-Arkham Knight project was cancelled; remember that WB Montreal was developing their own Suicide Squad game at one point, which wasn't axed until late 2016; seems like WB mismanaged both studios behind the Arkham games pretty badly, given their lack of output.

Also Rocksteady have been working on this game for 7 years so there's a huge chance there were major issues during development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I was kind of looking forward to the Suicide Squad game since pro-wrestler Samoa Joe was apparently voicing King Shark. I'll be a bit disappointed if the game turned out to be a mess.