Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Azran posted:

Wasn't there a VT2 bug that was fixed one patch before getting promptly unfixed the following patch multiple times?

Yes, and IIRC the issue was that they weren't building their patches off the live version of the game and were instead patching off an old version of the game where the bug still existed.

Like, basic programming versioning mistakes.

Edit: also play on Steam ya jerks.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I still don't understand how this can happen to a professional development studio with years of experience, and I'm not even sure they learned anything from it, but I somehow also find it both hilarious and oddly endearing.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Badly Jester posted:

I still don't understand how this can happen to a professional development studio with years of experience, and I'm not even sure they learned anything from it, but I somehow also find it both hilarious and oddly endearing.

The most baffling is that it keeps happening. Twice they made an effort to set up a Steam beta for big update patches, and twice they then never updated said beta, for weeks, and simply made patches for beta-reported bugs and applied them to their internal build; and then shoved the whole big patched update on live at once.

Unsurprisingly, both times it resulted in a lot of fun integration errors

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Badly Jester posted:

this happens more than you think but also fatshark takes it to another level

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Nobody likes this poo poo or working with these kinds of mistakes. It is suggestive that either management is not allowing them to work in a reasonable manner, or that there is someone in the dev team who cannot be fired or safely worked around.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Fishstick posted:

I'm a huge skeptic but FS games usually eventually get into a fun mostly playable state. You can preorder and check out the preorder beta and still refund it, regardless of how many hours you spent on it as long as you refund before actual launch. For me I'm mostly just curious if the performance issues have been fixed, because I can deal with the classic Fatshark un-polish, but not with multiple crashes every mission and playing on low/med on a RTX3070
Vermintide and Vermintide 2 were totally playable and fun on release. There were bugs and problems, especially in the second game, but unless you were a tryhard theorycrafter optimising that extra 1% of performance for the highest skill level you could ignore them and it didn't really detract from the game. A lot of the people posting are hardcore VT2 veterans with hundreds of hours in the game. If you just want to chop some heretics then I guess there's no guarantees but on past form you'll be able to have fun doing that without having to wait months.

edit: basically people are mostly very fond of Fatshark and their games. But they do have a lovable reputation for stepping on all kind of rakes when it comes to QA.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Senethro posted:

Nobody likes this poo poo or working with these kinds of mistakes. It is suggestive that either management is not allowing them to work in a reasonable manner, or that there is someone in the dev team who cannot be fired or safely worked around.

Yeah, it really seems like people were getting pressured to push out a patch more quickly than they were able to, and that whoever has (or should have) the institutional knowledge to ensure it's done properly either wasn't available or just didn't give a poo poo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd say comedy option, but it probably isn't, they probably just had a junior pushing the patch out and the documentation was poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zephro posted:

Vermintide and Vermintide 2 were totally playable and fun on release. There were bugs and problems, especially in the second game, but unless you were a tryhard theorycrafter optimising that extra 1% of performance for the highest skill level you could ignore them and it didn't really detract from the game. A lot of the people posting are hardcore VT2 veterans with hundreds of hours in the game. If you just want to chop some heretics then I guess there's no guarantees but on past form you'll be able to have fun doing that without having to wait months.

Bugs like “you have a chance to drop dead for no reason” or “the game unintentionally spawns specials in pairs directly next to you so you can have four disabler specials on your team within seconds of each other” or “a patrol spawns out of thin air on top of you while you’re fighting a horde” or “your swings sometimes phase through enemies without hitting them,” all of which are consequently followed by you failing the mission, felt somewhat hard to ignore and slightly detracted from the game.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Senethro posted:

Or you have workflow issues, separate teams (I. E. Content team, balance team, bugfix team) working off different repos and then having to hammer it all together at the 11th hour can cause huge issues.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

IMO, everyone sucks at everything, especially in tech. Go look at anyone doing software anything. It's a hilarious collection of disasters. The details may be slightly different and each has their own set of problems, but the outcomes are always very far from perfect. That's not to excuse Fat Shark's dumb mistakes, but they certainly are not alone on that front.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Internet Explorer posted:

IMO, everyone sucks at everything, especially in tech. Go look at anyone doing software anything. It's a hilarious collection of disasters. The details may be slightly different and each has their own set of problems, but the outcomes are always very far from perfect. That's not to excuse Fat Shark's dumb mistakes, but they certainly are not alone on that front.

Absolutely, i've started a new job recently (hey, tech goons, :yotj: ) and some of the quotes in the "documentation" i've gotten as a handover has been absolutely hilarious.

"Nobody here knows what this does or what its used for, but we're all too scared to turn it off".

"This might be getting backed up, but I wasn't sure, so i've backed it up a different way just in case"

"We lost the passwords to these a while ago but we haven't needed to access it since we set it up, so we're just leaving it so we don't break something that might be relying on it".

I'm paraphrasing, but holy poo poo, lmao.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Software development is a shitshow, regardless of what's being developed.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Technology is exactly like 40k in that respect. “We do it in this order because otherwise it doesn’t work and no one knows why. The people who made it are gone”

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Occasional fuckups are inevitable and fixable. The same fuckup happening five times in a row with no apparent effort to change workflows or systems to prevent it from happening a sixth time is a deeper issue.

I once hosed up and resolved a merge conflict the wrong way without confirming which way it should go with the person who wrote the conflicting code. I have never made that mistake again because we saw the problem, talked about it and agreed to change how we responded to merge conflicts in the future to make sure we didn’t do something bad like regress a bugfix.

At some point after release fatshark introduced a now-infamous “phantom swing” bug to VT2 where your weapon would sometimes phase through every enemy in front of you and nothing would happen to them. This is in a game where 90% of your time is spent swinging a weapon at enemies and relying on it to stagger them so they don’t kill you, so it’s safe to say this bug was “broken game” tier. a phantom swing happening at a bad moment in a horde could absolutely cause someone to get downed and lead to a failure spiral. Their bugfix for this took…four tries? Five tries? to finally stick, I legitimately can’t remember how long it was around because every other patch would regress it back into the game or it would just continue to happen after the very same patch they claimed they fixed it again. This example isn’t unique and there were other potentially run-ending bugs such as specials spawning in pairs that had similar regression issues. I don’t think fatshark is an embarrassing developer because they added phantom swings or double specials, but because they visibly refused to change anything about their workflows or systems after they undid their own fixes more than once. for those who have never played something from fatshark before and don’t understand some of the skepticism for darktide, that’s one of several reasons for it.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

So are the majority of you guys going to be playing on Steam then?

It's a real shame they aren't making the game cross platform compatible.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I preordered the game on steam and will be playing on steam

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Gamepass for now, but if turns out the game has more longevity than I expect I’ll end up getting it on Steam.

I expect people who played a lot of Vermintide will already know where it’ll land for them and will be just going with Steam day one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm mostly just bummed that I am going to have to juggle both versions to play with different people.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

part of the benefit of waiting for it to go on gamepass is seeing what state the game is delivered in to the preorder people

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
But being a pre-order people gives you the benefit of being a star-bellied snoot with exclusive costumes and premium currency :meowth:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Al-Saqr posted:

I preordered the game on steam and will be playing on steam

Yeah, this is me. Im pretty well embedded in the stream environment and I'm not terribly interested in outside platforms. Even if it's a hot mess on launch I'll get my $40 worth and probably wind up with hundreds of not thousands of hours played like Vermintide 1 and 2.

Have we settled on which discord were going to primarily try to use for games? We got like 4 discord for various Vermintide and general coop goon nonsense. I'm more active in the gob Vermintide and coop goons discords.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 26, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also being able to play over a holiday weekend... I haven't been able to game much this year and it has been making me cranky.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Wheeee posted:

Gamepass for now, but if turns out the game has more longevity than I expect I’ll end up getting it on Steam.

I expect people who played a lot of Vermintide will already know where it’ll land for them and will be just going with Steam day one.

Keep in mind theres no guarantee profiles will be cross platform, so you might have to re-grind your character levels/gear on Steam

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If I play, it'll be on steam.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Corbeau posted:

If I play, it'll be on steam.

Same.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

DeathSandwich posted:

Yes, and IIRC the issue was that they weren't building their patches off the live version of the game and were instead patching off an old version of the game where the bug still existed.

Like, basic programming versioning mistakes.

Edit: also play on Steam ya jerks.

Version control is *hard*. The urge to click "yes for all, do not ask me again" on that overwrite prompt is programmer's crack, right ?
Fatshark knows. CA knows. Owlcat knows.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

big cummers ONLY posted:

Technology is exactly like 40k in that respect. “We do it in this order because otherwise it doesn’t work and no one knows why. The people who made it are gone”

No, that's... you're thinking of Dominions, there.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

dogstile posted:

Absolutely, i've started a new job recently (hey, tech goons, :yotj: ) and some of the quotes in the "documentation" i've gotten as a handover has been absolutely hilarious.

"Nobody here knows what this does or what its used for, but we're all too scared to turn it off".

"This might be getting backed up, but I wasn't sure, so i've backed it up a different way just in case"

"We lost the passwords to these a while ago but we haven't needed to access it since we set it up, so we're just leaving it so we don't break something that might be relying on it".

I'm paraphrasing, but holy poo poo, lmao.

IME there's only two types of documentation (or code comments) :
- "This the mouse code block. You know how it works."
- "The operation of a mouse is not necessarily intuitive. For the purpose of this document, the left pushable surface on the upper left corner of the mouse will henceforth be labelled as "button 1" and is activated by applying downwards pressure on said surface by one mean or another."

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kobal2 posted:

- "The operation of a mouse is not necessarily intuitive. For the purpose of this document, the left pushable surface on the upper left corner of the mouse will henceforth be labelled as "button 1" and is activated by applying downwards pressure on said surface by one mean or another."

//TODO: Add mouse sensitivity and option to invert Y axis.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

part of the benefit of waiting for it to go on gamepass is seeing what state the game is delivered in to the preorder people

It's on gamepass from day 1. Or is that later than the steam release?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kobal2 posted:

Proper documentation is super hard. Moreso when you've been looking at a set of code consistently across the span of 9+ months and something as complicated as game code. It's either so intuitive you gloss over it without thinking or it has ceased making sense 6 or 7 iterations ago and is now fueled by black magic and animal sacrifices.

In that regard - for someone trying to prevent the latter you sometimes go overboard into Death By Documentation, where you wind up writing hundreds of pages of documentation that nobody can reference in good time, so they don't bother to read it, which again goes back to "black magic, animal sacrifices" territory.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It's on gamepass from day 1. Or is that later than the steam release?

preorder people get to start playing "open beta" two weeks early up until launch. i put "open beta" in quotes because what it really sounds like is "1.0 launch with a shitload of bugs", not a beta.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'll be playing steam but probably won't be preordering

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cowcaster posted:

preorder people get to start playing "open beta" two weeks early up until launch. i put "open beta" in quotes because what it really sounds like is "1.0 launch with a shitload of bugs", not a beta.

"1.0 launch with a shitload of bugs" is what you're getting on launch day too. I doubt they'll have time to fix or change much of anything unless it's an absolute showstopper. May as well get started two weeks early.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

think i'll wait and see what state the game is delivered in to the preorder people, with the intent of trying it on gamepass

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

DeathSandwich posted:

Proper documentation is super hard. Moreso when you've been looking at a set of code consistently across the span of 9+ months and something as complicated as game code. It's either so intuitive you gloss over it without thinking or it has ceased making sense 6 or 7 iterations ago and is now fueled by black magic and animal sacrifices.

In that regard - for someone trying to prevent the latter you sometimes go overboard into Death By Documentation, where you wind up writing hundreds of pages of documentation that nobody can reference in good time, so they don't bother to read it, which again goes back to "black magic, animal sacrifices" territory.

Or you do what the company I work for does. Zero documentation then start chewing out devs when they don't know how every part of a labyrinthian codebase interacts with another labyrinthian codebase, even the stuff they've never worked with.

Fatshark isn't perfect, but at least they have version numbers, even if they forget to reference them frequently.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

for anyone looking to get their nurgle on before the end of november,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWoOuRqIa54

just sayin

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Shame it's dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Wheeee posted:

for anyone looking to get their nurgle on before the end of november,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWoOuRqIa54

just sayin
They should have made it a twin-tailed comet