Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Love Stole the Day posted:

Is it normal for the cast members who wear costumes to make a smooch noise at you?

Yeah but it always weirds me out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You mean Minnie Mouse isn’t really into me ?

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
Yeah with kids you kind of get in a rhythm and can cycle through 3 or 4 storylines and be mostly okay. With adults it ends up being like a mini improv session which can be fun. You’re absolutely right - it’s the adults who try to say awful things to characters to try to get them to break are the ones they never had much patience for. Drunks during food and wine, the teenager who told Aurora “did you know your boyfriend’s a necrophiliac?” Those are the ones who get the love and shove treatment.

Throw out something from the movie as an opener, play along with them and you’ll have a great time generally. It makes the set fly by. I can’t remember a time where I ever had a princess go man there were way too many adults that set.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did every house in one night at HHN. 5 mins left till closing

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Blizzard Beach getting a frozen retheme which is such a no brainer I kept wondering why it took so long.

Also, of course, people are pissed because reasons

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's just the toddler area so ?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

couldcareless posted:

Blizzard Beach getting a frozen retheme which is such a no brainer I kept wondering why it took so long.

Also, of course, people are pissed because reasons

If it’s just one area, who cares. But why wouldn’t people be annoyed at rethemeing blizzard beach? It’s an awesome, fun theme and not everything needs to be IP.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Loved Guardians and Epcot on Saturday, and Sunday night Not-So-Scary was a blast. I thought the fireworks show was kind of meh (I'm still really impressed with the Jack Skellington effect though) but we saw the midnight stage show and it the whole cast was just hamming it up and looked like they were having a blast, and it was really well done. I loved seeing Face versions of some of the villain characters that are usually masked (Jafar, Hades, Hook, etc.).

And kind of relevant to the discussion:

I went as Smee with a pretty low-effort costume (my wife did a Disney bound-style Wanda), and I wasn't at all expecting the level of interaction from official costumed cast members. The live pirates in PotC yelled down at me asking "Mister Smee, what are you doing in a lifeboat??" A CM in Adventureland did a double-take and said "Excuse me, you're supposed to be over in Fantasyland."

The parade was a whole other bunch of fun. Flynn Ryder for some reason kept coming over to address me in character and asking about my crew in between dancing with Rapunzel. When the Peter Pan float came by, the "real" Smee's pirates came over and said "well one of you needs to change" and another one suggested I should join their crew. The Lost Boy in the bear costume locked eyes with me and backed up slowly and gave me the "I'm watching you" two finger gesture. Tinkerbell caught sight of me from the top of her float and made a "pee yew" motion. Buzz Lightyear pointed at me and hit the dialogue "that's a great costume, definitely not standard-issue."

I guess if you don't go in looking like you have an Instagram agenda or you're expecting anything, the cast feels more comfortable poking fun at you.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Nottherealaborn posted:

If it’s just one area, who cares. But why wouldn’t people be annoyed at rethemeing blizzard beach? It’s an awesome, fun theme and not everything needs to be IP.

Yeah, count me in for "would be pissed if it was the whole park."

I'll reiterate yet again: WDW up through the late 00's was largely NOT about Disney IP and branding. Shoving IP anywhere and everywhere they can has only been a thing for a little over a decade and it keeps getting worse.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Superrodan posted:

I have no qualifications or evidence to back this up but I imagine meet and greet cast members absolutely adore and love the way kids view them as the real character, but kinda dread when an adult shows up and sort of has their own special plan for what they want beyond "can I get a picture with you".

I've known a fair amount of character performers and for the most part, the ones I knew were all fine with adults cosplaying or Disney bounding as long as they didn't get inappropriate. It's appalling the poo poo some people either do or expect at a meet and greet. On the cruise line, however, those performers definitely get much more sick of adult guests than parks performers, but 99% of the time enjoy when people get in on the bit and play along and have fun with it.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah, count me in for "would be pissed if it was the whole park."

I'll reiterate yet again: WDW up through the late 00's was largely NOT about Disney IP and branding. Shoving IP anywhere and everywhere they can has only been a thing for a little over a decade and it keeps getting worse.

For a long time, Disneyland and World attractions were their own IP. That does seem to gradually be going away, and even in cases where it isn't they are trying to make those attractions into the more traditional IP with movies and shows, etc.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 25, 2022

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nottherealaborn posted:

I'm shocked it doesn't have a movie deal yet

E: The original theme of it, I mean. Oh nooo a blizzard hit florida and disney can't open the park or whatever. I don't know. Frozen does seem like a no-brainer.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 26, 2022

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The backstory doesn't matter. The concept - a melting ski resort-turned into a water park, is fun and original. It even has a working ski lift!

Branding it as Frozen is a no-brainer for modern Disney leadership who only views the parks as extensions of marketing for their media and not as their own unique form of entertainment that can and did stand on its own for decades.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Counter point: it's a water park and the mythos of it is entertaining for about 5 minutes for adults and approximately negative minutes for kids.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

couldcareless posted:

Counter point: it's a water park and it is entertaining for about 5 minutes for adults

this is probably why I'm more open to this and would die for like, carousel of progress (like a dipshit). I can't swim and the water parks don't have any nostalgia for me, so I'm cool with frozen injected into it or what have you.

E: at least this adult, anyhow.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

Counter point: it's a water park and the mythos of it is entertaining for about 5 minutes for adults and approximately negative minutes for kids.

Counter-counter point - it's a water park and kids would find it entertaining even with no theming at all

e: adults may have 5 minutes of fun with the theme but will have negative fun being bombarded with more Frozen, I mean if the whole park were to be converted to Frozen

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 26, 2022

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Frozen is stupid popular, to the point that kids/adults who might otherwise not want to go to a water park would at least entertain the idea, if not outright change their mind with the retheme.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Nanigans posted:

Frozen is stupid popular, to the point that kids/adults who might otherwise not want to go to a water park would at least entertain the idea, if not outright change their mind with the retheme.

Yeah, if this had been there a few years ago when my nieces went they absolutely would have begged to go to the Frozen park

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

On top of winning horror nights and doing all the houses I did the new Mummy and it looks great. Love the additions. Such a perfect ride.

I always regret going on going up that hill and have such a blast once I go down it

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
What's new with The Mummy?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Wi_k-Bi4U

Nothing too crazy but enough to update it to keep it ticking for years to come

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It’s basically just a refurbishment. Get all the effects back working properly and looking newer and clearer. The ride itself is still one of the best dark ride/coaster combos in the world so not much else would ever have to be done.

Brendan Fraser, for what it’s worth, just said in an interview that he dislikes the Tom Cruise movie and is up for a Mummy 4 if anyone asks.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
The biggest change was replacing the entire control system with modern tech. Remember that it was designed and built in the early 2000s, so it was probably running on XP or something.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My dad just texted me and said he was stuck on Carousel of Progress and got to watch the 1940s scene 8 times before someone let them out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Luigi Thirty posted:

My dad just texted me and said he was stuck on Carousel of Progress and got to watch the 1940s scene 8 times before someone let them out.

You know who else is stuck in the 1940s? This Ye fellow. Did you- did you hear about him?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't that because anytime someone stands up the sensor triggers and the scene resets lol

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Sure nobody "officially" dies on Disney property, but doesn't Carousel have the highest body count of any attraction?

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Coming to the end of a mega 12 day trip to Orlando, holiday of a lifetime for the kids kind of thing, and I might do a write-up when I return to England, but after today I just want to say (and I don't see a thread for Universal so saying it here): holy poo poo, what a ride Velocicoaster is.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hazo posted:

Sure nobody "officially" dies on Disney property

This is false and people have been pronounced dead on the scene many times.

Also, no, the only death associated with Carousel of Progress was actually on America Sings in Disneyland which occupied the building after CoP was moved to WDW. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_Sings#Death_of_Deborah_Gail_Stone

I believe the highest body counts would be Mission Space and Primeval Whirl which are both at 2. Mission Space's were for preexisting conditions and Primeval Whirl's were for employees not following procedures.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Disney World has had a surprisingly low number of deaths for it's age and sheer number of things people can be stupid on. The most dangerous things in it's history are bodies of water and acts of violence at the old Pleasure Island nightclubs.

Combine Disneyland and Disney World together and probably the most fatal attractions are the Monorails and Peoplemover. Keep in mind that a WDW monorail actually burned down and ~200 people were onboard, some managed to slide down the nosecone onto the beam and walk/crawl up the incline into the Contemporary station. I remember a document on driving the monorails that went around the old 90s era internet where a pilot acknowledged that Disney basically has no plan for the disabled in these sorts of incidents.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Has anyone done the keys to the kingdom tour?

It seems very cool/good - but I'm debating if the time (5 hours) is too long to enjoy the rest of the trip. It's a relatively short one (3 park days with hoppers).

Curious if people think the time investment is worthwhile.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

We did it back in...2018? It was a very fun time. If you're deep into the Disney poo poo (like anyone posting around here probably is,) you're not going to get as many fun trivia bits you didn't know, but stuff like the private-to-the-tour Jungle Cruise were fun. Certainly the dips back stage (including the fabled utilidors) were very entertaining and made the thing worth while for us.

That being said, with only 3 days at the parks, I would skip it unless you've been there so many times you're a frequent visitor/looking for something new to do. It's a very cool perspective on the parks, but I'm not sure it really deepened my appreciation in any meaningful way. Contrast with the tour at The Seas where you get to go in the big tank, which made me tear up in my mask when I exchanged waves with a kid on the observation deck and realized I was on stage, being part of that kid's experience. Unfortunately it looks like the version of that where you don't need scuba certification is defunct.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

This is false and people have been pronounced dead on the scene many times.

Also, no, the only death associated with Carousel of Progress was actually on America Sings in Disneyland which occupied the building after CoP was moved to WDW. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America_Sings#Death_of_Deborah_Gail_Stone

I believe the highest body counts would be Mission Space and Primeval Whirl which are both at 2. Mission Space's were for preexisting conditions and Primeval Whirl's were for employees not following procedures.

Also, the death on America Sings was specifically because the theatre rotated in the opposite direction as Carousel. Standing where the stage hits you would crush you into the wall instead of knocking you aside.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Craptacular! posted:

Combine Disneyland and Disney World together and probably the most fatal attractions are the Monorails and Peoplemover. Keep in mind that a WDW monorail actually burned down and ~200 people were onboard, some managed to slide down the nosecone onto the beam and walk/crawl up the incline into the Contemporary station. I remember a document on driving the monorails that went around the old 90s era internet where a pilot acknowledged that Disney basically has no plan for the disabled in these sorts of incidents.

https://apnews.com/article/db0368a32605529b9d44d8bfa2a4a44d

I think this is one of those stories that, over time, has become more exaggerated to make it more dramatic.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

THE RAT RACE????

thHe RAT rACE???!?!?!?!?!?!

god drat that's the worst loving scene.

Paul Proteus posted:

It seems very cool/good - but I'm debating if the time (5 hours) is too long to enjoy the rest of the trip. It's a relatively short one (3 park days with hoppers).

It's a very neat little perk and tour. I loved it when I did it but I knew most of the trivia (I don't know if it's changed since I went). What rides are they offering in it? And that'll give me more of a feeling if it's worth it or not.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Paul Proteus posted:

We did it on our honeymoon and absolutely loved it. But yeah don't plan on get much else done park-wise during your day.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I intended to do it but we sort of just never got around to it. Someday.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Omne posted:

https://apnews.com/article/db0368a32605529b9d44d8bfa2a4a44d

I think this is one of those stories that, over time, has become more exaggerated to make it more dramatic.

This page of monorail incidents does say people climbed onto the roof, and there are points on the body to hang in and clamber up, but yeah if the CM disaster tales of that event is a little more dramatic than reality then I'm happy.

Not be wise of that event, but just an awareness of situational fire response makes me a bit nervous about high off the ground transportation.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

If Disney doesn't start selling Revnog and Peezos in Batuu soon,what are they doing. In my mind Revnog is just original formula four loko. Or make it an alcoholic clarified milk punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Craptacular! posted:

This page of monorail incidents does say people climbed onto the roof, and there are points on the body to hang in and clamber up, but yeah if the CM disaster tales of that event is a little more dramatic than reality then I'm happy.

Not be wise of that event, but just an awareness of situational fire response makes me a bit nervous about high off the ground transportation.

From my understanding after that incident they re-thought the evacuation stuff and provide better ways to escape, but still good luck if you’re in a wheelchair or can’t use a rope.