Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Can I ask what yalls favorite trackers are? I use nzb.su and Drunkenslug (honestly I love nzb.su and don't get why it's often thought of as inferior to other indexers but whatever).

Always on the lookout for other trackers though.

I see most of my traffic from Geek and Slug, but those are also the only 2 indexers I'm actually paying for and have the highest priority so that's probably a bit self-fulfilling. Between those two I rarely have any issue getting anything modern/popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sharing Plex with only 15mbit upstream is not going to be the most fun experience, I had about the same with cable and it's so easy to saturate that amount of bandwidth.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh yeah for sure, I should have been more clear.

The server is dead, temporarily (as in currently shared through our house to house guests and my wife and I) until we get fiber again, which is roughly slated at some point so I'm hoping we'll have it by Summer 2023. Seattle metro is building out fiber at a crazy pace so it's only a matter of time. There is an existing fiber build a mile or two down the road.

There's no way I'm sharing a 15 uplink, haha. But I'm impressed you managed to make that work. Did that mess with your daily usage? My intuition is that having a 15 uplink saturated would cause issues with basic functionality on your end, super curious to hear if that's true though.

The sad part is friends donated to its function (two of the large 12-18GB platter drives were gifts) so it's a little sad to cut off access now, but they got a ton of use and know that it will be back someday.

There's really no place online to stream 100mbps 4k remuxes with TrueHD and such so they'll be back! :c00lbutt: the server is currently, idk, 60-70TB.

Besides, and this probably makes me a huge dork (though I guess that's how it goes in the Plex thread), but I find tending my Plex server is extremely calming in a way that I assume tending a Japanese-style rock garden is calming. So I'll keep building the server and when they hop back on there will probably be another 10-20 TB of poo poo for them to enjoy.

On another note wasn't cable modem uplink supposed to be improved? I swear that was a talking point but I've seen no movement on that. I see why no one cares- most people don't give a single poo poo about how much uplink they have, and of those who do, many of them are unsavory types like us that plunder the high seas (figuratively, I would never do anything like that!)

Taima fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 18, 2022

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Taima posted:

On another note wasn't cable modem uplink supposed to be improved? I swear that was a talking point but I've seen no movement on that. I see why no one cares- most people don't give a single poo poo about how much uplink they have, and of those who do, many of them are unsavory types like us that plunder the high seas (figuratively, I would never do anything like that!)

Supposedly this is coming with DOCSIS 4.0: https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-10g-powered-multi-gigabit-symmetrical-speeds-network

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Oh poo poo that's amazing thanks. Pretty long timeline though unfortunately, and I assume like everything telecom related if they say late 2023 its actually like late 2024 at the earliest, lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Taima posted:

There's no way I'm sharing a 15 uplink, haha. But I'm impressed you managed to make that work. Did that mess with your daily usage? My intuition is that having a 15 uplink saturated would cause issues with basic functionality on your end, super curious to hear if that's true though.

I think I allowed one or two sporadic users on Plex and that was about it. I absolutely hated the cap though, I used to have to keep a spreadsheet tracking usage so I knew how much I had left for the month, how much I could use per day etc (I was usually within about 10gb or so of the cap limit) and then I'd buy a new big drive and absolutely take advantage of Xfinity's "2 cap-free months per year" and do like 8TB on backfill.

Since i moved to gigabit uncapped I've been laughing, and it only costs me $50/mo here too. My basic cable TV I barely watched and was told was a big part of my discounts etc was actually adding on $110 a month, so that got promptly sent back this summer and I managed to finally get the leaf antenna working with the local channels I need in the meantime.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
For a week or so I'm getting some weirdness when I log into nzb.su - with every page change I'm asked to log in again. It happens across multiple pc's and browsers. I've had VIP status for ages, and everything 'works' it's just annoying to re log in all the time. Is nzb.su dying?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

porktree posted:

For a week or so I'm getting some weirdness when I log into nzb.su - with every page change I'm asked to log in again. It happens across multiple pc's and browsers. I've had VIP status for ages, and everything 'works' it's just annoying to re log in all the time. Is nzb.su dying?

It's not doing it for me, so it could be some hosting issue. The forum is a wasteland of unanswered posts, so it could be dying, I guess.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Rexxed posted:

It's not doing it for me, so it could be some hosting issue. The forum is a wasteland of unanswered posts, so it could be dying, I guess.

Ya, looked at their forums first, brushing the tumbleweeds aside. No issues using sonarr et al, just when I 'browse'. Thanks for the info.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Mono is causing a CPU usage spike I've pinned it down to my sonarr docker container. Every time "rescan monitored episodes" runs mono goes to 100% CPU usage, causing my fans to ramp up.

I have two radarr containers running which aren't causing the same issue.

It started about a week ago after around 2.5 tests without a hitch. I've tried updating the container which hasn't made a difference. I've also "un-monitored" a bunch of stuff to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

When in doubt take it out back and shoot it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Tea Bone posted:

Mono is causing a CPU usage spike I've pinned it down to my sonarr docker container. Every time "rescan monitored episodes" runs mono goes to 100% CPU usage, causing my fans to ramp up.

It started about a week ago after around 2.5 tests without a hitch. I've tried updating the container which hasn't made a difference. I've also "un-monitored" a bunch of stuff to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas?

In the configuration for sonarr set the max CPU to be 25%. (.25) I do that for lidarr when I used to run it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Tea Bone posted:

I used to have that happen with all of my mono-using jails after they'd been running for a while. Eventually I just set up a cron job to restart them every few days.

Hughlander posted:

In the configuration for sonarr set the max CPU to be 25%. (.25) I do that for lidarr when I used to run it.

This sounds like a more elegant solution assuming it doesn't affect the program's performance.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Hughlander posted:

Thanks, this seems to have done the trick for the fans constantly ramping up and slowing back down, but now mono just constantly uses 25% of the CPU 100% of the time rather than (100% for 15 seconds or so every minute). I'm not sure if that's particularly good for the machine and power consumption (I'm genuinely asking, I don't know it might be fine?).

Ideally, I would like to get to the bottom of why it's started doing this all of a sudden. Restarting the container doesn't seem to help.

edit:
Never mind I think I've worked it out. There was a completed download hanging out in the Activity Queue for post-processing. For whatever reason, Sonarr couldn't deal with it and it was hogging all the CPU usage trying to do so everytime "Refresh Monitored Downloads" ran. After clearing it out everything seems back to normal.

Tea Bone fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 27, 2022

fraggsta
Feb 2, 2003

mmmm, black straight hair.
I'm getting really poo poo speeds through NewsDemon even though I now have a Gigabit connection. It seems to start out downloads at about 30 Mb/s and then slow down to around 3 - 11 Mb/s after a while. I've tried everything I can:

Tried their EU and US servers, pretty much the same speeds.
Tried all available SSL and non SSL ports to see if my ISP is throttling me
Turned off Direct Unpack, this makes speeds a little bit faster
Article cache is currently set to 1024 MB. I have experimented with various values for this but it doesn't make any difference
write buffer is 2048 KB

Is there anything else I can do to speed things up? NewsDemon has sent out emails today offering $7.99 for 3 months and i'd probably take that if I could get better speeds out of it. Are there any better suppliers that I'd get much better speeds out of?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

fraggsta posted:

I'm getting really poo poo speeds through NewsDemon even though I now have a Gigabit connection. It seems to start out downloads at about 30 Mb/s and then slow down to around 3 - 11 Mb/s after a while. I've tried everything I can:

Tried their EU and US servers, pretty much the same speeds.
Tried all available SSL and non SSL ports to see if my ISP is throttling me
Turned off Direct Unpack, this makes speeds a little bit faster
Article cache is currently set to 1024 MB. I have experimented with various values for this but it doesn't make any difference
write buffer is 2048 KB

Is there anything else I can do to speed things up? NewsDemon has sent out emails today offering $7.99 for 3 months and i'd probably take that if I could get better speeds out of it. Are there any better suppliers that I'd get much better speeds out of?

Have you run a general speed test to make sure you can achieve those speeds? I know it sounds obvious but I've been caught out before by my machine connecting to my routers 2ghz band.

Also make sure you've maxed out your number of connections.

fraggsta
Feb 2, 2003

Tea Bone posted:

Have you run a general speed test to make sure you can achieve those speeds? I know it sounds obvious but I've been caught out before by my machine connecting to my routers 2ghz band.

Also make sure you've maxed out your number of connections.

This machine is on a gigabit wired connection. Torrents on the same machine get up to about 110 MB/s (880 Mb) so I'm absolutely sure this has nothing to do with wifi, because I'm not using it, and the machine's network connection is definitely fast enough.

I've already checked the number of connections I'm using is 20, the max that NewsDemon allows. I'm at a loss as to why I get such slow speeds.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

fraggsta posted:

I've already checked the number of connections I'm using is 20, the max that NewsDemon allows. I'm at a loss as to why I get such slow speeds.

Has it always been set to 20? It's possible that you're using too many and overloading your connection, maybe try 15 connections and see what speeds you get.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

fraggsta posted:

speeds should be okay on newsdemon usually but they generally suck donkey balls when it comes to actual retention so most have moved on from them (you really get what you pay for). favorites around here seem to be eweka and more so frugal usenet which runs an ad here and have much better retention. no clue if your speeds will be better though.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Last month or so usenet speeds have dropped for me with frugal (about 1/5th or less of what it was previously). Is this likely an isp throttling thing or does frugal soft cap?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Last month or so usenet speeds have dropped for me with frugal (about 1/5th or less of what it was previously). Is this likely an isp throttling thing or does frugal soft cap?

The supply chain crisis strikes again.

fraggsta
Feb 2, 2003

The Diddler posted:

Has it always been set to 20? It's possible that you're using too many and overloading your connection, maybe try 15 connections and see what speeds you get.

I've tried it with 10, 15 and 20. It's always the same. I'm starting to suspect it might be my ISP limiting me. Seems like it might be time to switch to Frugal..

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

fraggsta posted:

I've tried it with 10, 15 and 20. It's always the same. I'm starting to suspect it might be my ISP limiting me. Seems like it might be time to switch to Frugal..

I'm getting similar speeds with a NewsDemon grandfathered unlimited account. Let us know if Frugal fixes it.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
I've been rocking Newsgroup Ninja for a couple years now and usually pull 95-110MB/s if you're looking at other providers.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

MixMasterMalaria posted:

i did 20 TBs one month earlier this year (huge outlier compared to my regular usage of usually under 5) and i have not had any sort of cap or throttle.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Newsdemon completely went to poo poo for me a few months ago and wasn't completing anything older than a week. Started to burn through my backup block accounts.

I switched to Eweka and it seems to have resolved all my issues.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Why stick with NewsDemon?
Grab a block of anyone else and test it for $4.

Not sure this is up to date but : https://usenetmap.b-cdn.net/latest.svg
Just buy a 50g block from any one that isn't under UsenetExpress.

deong fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 16, 2022

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

withoutclass posted:

I've been rocking Newsgroup Ninja for a couple years now and usually pull 95-110MB/s if you're looking at other providers.

Same. I got in on a $30 / year deal a couple years ago. Looks like it jumped to $40 / year last Black Friday, but it's still a decent deal. Regardless, wait a week before making any decisions, as Black Friday is when most providers have the best deals.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Ninja also appears to have a 7 day free trial.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

deong posted:

Why stick with NewsDemon?
Grab a block of anyone else and test it for $4.

Not sure this is up to date but : https://usenetmap.b-cdn.net/latest.svg

this floats around reddit quite a bit and seems to be easier laid out. https://whatsmyuse.net/

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

SlipperyNipple posted:

this floats around reddit quite a bit and seems to be easier laid out. https://whatsmyuse.net/

Cool Thanks!
I have to find that map every time I get issues with my usenet. This seems useful.

I'm using Frugal and block news. Looks like I'm on omicron with both of mine. I don't have issues so haven't bothered to change it up. Maybe i'll switch it up this black friday.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
In addition to Linux ISOs, can Usenet also be a resource for Linux Manuals/Books? Or is it mainly just ISOs?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

In addition to Linux ISOs, can Usenet also be a resource for Linux Manuals/Books? Or is it mainly just ISOs?

Yes, and even geeks reading linux manuals to you! check out all the 'arr's. Sonarr, Radarr, Readarr, Lidarr(Had really really bad performance last I looked at it.)

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

SlipperyNipple posted:

This is really useful thanks. Those maps that float around Reddit never seem quite right to me.

Is there any point in getting a backup server on a different backbone if they have the same takedown policy?

Currently, I have Eweka (omicron with NTD takedown) and Astraweb (omicron with DMCA), if I was to add say EasyUsenet (abavia with DMCA) as a third provider is that likely fill many (or any) missing blocks because it's on a different backbone? Or because it takes notice of DMCA, will anything missing on omicron also be missing on Abavia?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Tea Bone posted:

This is really useful thanks. Those maps that float around Reddit never seem quite right to me.

Is there any point in getting a backup server on a different backbone if they have the same takedown policy?

Currently, I have Eweka (omicron with NTD takedown) and Astraweb (omicron with DMCA), if I was to add say EasyUsenet (abavia with DMCA) as a third provider is that likely fill many (or any) missing blocks because it's on a different backbone? Or because it takes notice of DMCA, will anything missing on omicron also be missing on Abavia?

The way i understand it, is yes. It'd be better at filling blocks.
But from my experience, Blocknews has the blocks that are missing from Frugal. I thought they removed them at the omicron level but ayyy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hughlander posted:

Yes, and even geeks reading linux manuals to you! check out all the 'arr's. Sonarr, Radarr, Readarr, Lidarr(Had really really bad performance last I looked at it.)

Thanks! It's probably been 8 years since I've done anything with Usenet but I might have to see if I can figure some of those out for my linux manuals.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
In a rare stroke of luck, my blocks ran out last night. Any leads on the best Black Friday deals? What are the best two current backbones to get for the most complete coverage?

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

Yam Slacker

willroc7 posted:

In a rare stroke of luck, my blocks ran out last night. Any leads on the best Black Friday deals? What are the best two current backbones to get for the most complete coverage?

It doesn't look like Blocknews itself is running a Black Friday deal right now, but Frugal and many others are: https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/yxuip0/2022_black_friday_deal_thread_providers_and/

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

TVGM posted:

It doesn't look like Blocknews itself is running a Black Friday deal right now, but Frugal and many others are: https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/yxuip0/2022_black_friday_deal_thread_providers_and/

Thanks for the link. Any thoughts on what 2 blocks would give the best coverage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Thanks for the link. Any thoughts on what 2 blocks would give the best coverage?

https://whatsmyuse.net/

Make sure you get multiple backbones and you should be fine.