Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Has anyone here tried "turtle wow"? It's a private wow server with custom content, and seems to have a healthy player base. I got it running last night and indecisively leveled several humans through Northshire abby. I'm a little confused though, I'd swear I'd read that this game let you mix and match skills to build custom classes but to my inexpert eyes it all looked more or less vanilla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Jack B Nimble posted:

Has anyone here tried "turtle wow"? It's a private wow server with custom content, and seems to have a healthy player base. I got it running last night and indecisively leveled several humans through Northshire abby. I'm a little confused though, I'd swear I'd read that this game let you mix and match skills to build custom classes but to my inexpert eyes it all looked more or less vanilla?

You’re thinking of wow ascension

http://ascension.gg

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kaysette posted:

You’re thinking of wow ascension

http://ascension.gg

:argh: Well that was a waste of drat time!

Like all MMOs :ssh:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You'll have a really good time with Ascension. Just remember it's still the WoW community so the chat is going to be extremely, extremely horrible and toxic

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is anyone playing Embers Adrift? Is this MMO the garbage title that I am assuming it is?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

Is anyone playing Embers Adrift? Is this MMO the garbage title that I am assuming it is?

I'm really thinking I'm not going to be able to resist buying it this weekend.

The biggest real knocks against it I can infer from twitch streams and reviews are:

1) That the overworld is literally unremarkable, as in there isn't the sort of unique landmarks and design that would support it's no map, no mini map choice.

2) There's only one player race and there currently isn't a graphics programmer on the three person team.

3) it's poorly optimized. This is a big question for me. I'm only on a 3060, will it even run well?

But when I read reviews like this it, I just see a whole lot of "this is the bullshit I want"

https://www.mmorpg.com/editorials/embers-adrift-might-not-be-the-mmo-for-me-and-thats-okay-2000126401

The other big question I have is, is the writing any good. And I'm not asking for an MMO written by Cormac McCarthy; like, I consider the defias quest line from Northshire to DeadMines a perfectly adequate narrative, but I don't know if Embers hits that.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 19, 2022

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm really thinking I'm not going to be able to resist buying it this weekend.

The biggest real knocks against it I can infer from twitch streams and reviews are:

1) That the overworld is literally unremarkable, as in there isn't the sort of unique landmarks and design that would support it's no map, no mini map choice.

2) There's only one player race and there currently isn't a graphics programmer on the three person team.

3) it's poorly optimized. This is a big question for me. I'm only on a 3060, will it even run well?

But when I read reviews like this it, I just see a whole lot of "this is the bullshit I want"

https://www.mmorpg.com/editorials/embers-adrift-might-not-be-the-mmo-for-me-and-thats-okay-2000126401

The other big question I have is, is the writing any good. And I'm not asking for an MMO written by Cormac McCarthy; like, I consider the defias quest line from Northshire to DeadMines a perfectly adequate narrative, but I don't know if Embers hits that.

I've been playing Embers Adrift since Saturday. So far, I like it, but I don't think it's my next home. My thoughts.

1) The overworld is easier to navigate than you think, though so far I would say it's unremarkable. Lots of grasslands, lots of roadside shacks.
2) The game does run like poo poo. I'm running it "Balanced" graphics with grass turned all the way down on a 2080ti and it's... okay? I mostly chug in the city, where there are a lot of player models.
3) imo the writing IS good. It's not really like a deep narrative, but if you take the time to talk to NPCs well, I have personally found the lore and the way it's conveyed very intriguing. But it's not really a story-based game, I'd argue quests are almost entirely optional. Don't come here for the story.

I never played EQ or any of its contemporaries so I'm not coming into this from a nostalgia place at all. I actually think it's pretty fun. If it were harder to get groups, I'd hate it, but as it is, every day has been an adventure for me. I feel fairly immersed in the setting, I like that the combat is actually challenging and sometimes unpredictable, I like the variety of ways that team members can contribute. Honestly the main killer for me are two things

1) People who are hopelessly nostalgic about EQ are super obnoxious, and as expected they all over this game. I had an argument with someone who thought the game would die if players made a Wiki. "Why can't you just ask in chat?" Because then I'd have to talk with people like you, bro.
2) It's not high fantasy

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016
I’ve been playing Embers Adrift a ton this week and I’m really digging it so far. I’m enjoying organically grouping up with randoms and shooting the poo poo while we kill our way to whatever quest mob we’re hunting down. I had a blast getting lost in a dungeon with a pal and some pubbies, and the desperation as we tried to find our way out without getting owned by spiders was something I haven’t experienced in an mmo in quite a while.

The writing is decent, and the things you say in the dialogue can actually affect the quest outcome (usually just your reward or small changes to dialogue, but still a nice touch). For example there’s an early quest where you have a dialogue choice to solve a mystery on your own or alert the guards. If you alert the guards the questline ends there to my knowledge. However if you choose to investigate you go off on a dungeon crawl.

Seconding the folks who have said the overworld is a bit bland, but to be fair I’ve only seen two overworld zones. But one of the main things that seems to turn people off, like 100 Degrees Calcium said, is that it’s “low fantasy,” so there’s no casting classes or anything.

I’m enjoying my time with it, but I enjoy the generally slower pace, so if that’s something you’re looking for it’s worth a shot.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

How challenging is the gameplay? I don't need a rotation akin to DDR to keep me busy, but I do want encounters to feel like they are dangerous.

Ezane
Sep 27, 2016

kedo posted:

How challenging is the gameplay? I don't need a rotation akin to DDR to keep me busy, but I do want encounters to feel like they are dangerous.

The mobs are pretty lethal, but as far as I can tell (I could be missing something) you only have a handful of abilities that you use at once, similar to Guild Wars 2's hotbar. I rolled a tank and group content definitely feels more dangerous. While the combat is pretty straight forward I've found that I've had to be paying attention pretty closely to my aggro, and even had to do some tank swapping in a group the other night when fighting a mob that was a bit too high for us. A lot of the challenge comes from picking the right fights, and not pulling more than you can handle if that makes sense.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Honestly I’m loving the hell out of the game. I’ve come to be invested in the setting and my character. Right now I actually think this could be the mmo I stick to for a while.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Honestly I’m loving the hell out of the game. I’ve come to be invested in the setting and my character. Right now I actually think this could be the mmo I stick to for a while.

okay i'm bored now

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

okay i'm bored now

what happen

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

what happen

Just got tired of doing the same boring stuff every day. Group farming was novel for a while but after getting invited to my third spider den farm in a row I was just like nah.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
3 days lol

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I honestly don't know how anyone sticks with an MMO for any amount of time. It's fun to get into a new game but at some point I just see clearly what the rest of the game is going to be like and then I feel like I've done it all.

edit: doubly so with Embers Adrift where the main appeal seems to be "farm xp with groups". That's hardly novel but I guess if you played Everquest back in the day, it's the sickest poo poo ever.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Just got tired of doing the same boring stuff every day. Group farming was novel for a while but after getting invited to my third spider den farm in a row I was just like nah.

I was remembering my time playing EQ2 back in 2004. Just killing scarecrows in Antonica all day with a group of people.

Would I ever play a game like that in 2022? Perhaps only in my mind.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Most of the reasons I ever stuck around with an MMO were usually due to the general dumb stuff I'd get up to with other people. When I think about it, I had more fun not actually playing the game but just hanging out in it. Almost every memorable moment I have usually involved other people.

Maybe that says something more about me than the genre itself, but still.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

I honestly don't know how anyone sticks with an MMO for any amount of time. It's fun to get into a new game but at some point I just see clearly what the rest of the game is going to be like and then I feel like I've done it all.

For me, the answer to that always was and always will be "PvP". :v:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

edit: doubly so with Embers Adrift where the main appeal seems to be "farm xp with groups". That's hardly novel but I guess if you played Everquest back in the day, it's the sickest poo poo ever.

I've been asking this question since the genre began.

I still don't have the answer.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You put enough content in your MMO that players have a variety of options even at endgame. But obviously that is time-consuming and expensive, which is why Kickstarter MMOs have never gotten off the ground.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

1stGear posted:

You put enough content in your MMO that players have a variety of options even at endgame. But obviously that is time-consuming and expensive, which is why Kickstarter MMOs have never gotten off the ground.

You can go the EvE route, lots of crappy content all designed to make PVP a thing. Of course PVP in the long run destroys your community because of the imbalance of haves vs have nots. I recall some days 4-5 top tier people could lockdown 100s of normal people in a station for example :P

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Naval Action, long time naval sim game with buy in, is now f2p.

It will have 3 servers that merge into one and will have a 3 month seasonal wipe.

It is a really bad idea and just lol.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Server merge? I think you mean "single shard", what a fancy mmo

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

they are all getting wiped so I see it as a merge of nothing into nothing

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Server merge? I think you mean "single shard", what a fancy mmo

I played Ultima Online when it was a single shard. That was... a mistake as the world was just to small.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Third World Reagan posted:

It will have 3 servers that merge into one and will have a 3 month seasonal wipe.

I have weighed up getting Naval Action multiple times and always deferred because the reviews seemed fairly negative.
Doesn't look like the transition to F2P is being received well by the player base.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish this game was good, because it looks really cool. Probably not even worth trying out? Are there any similar naval games that are actually good?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

I wish this game was good, because it looks really cool. Probably not even worth trying out? Are there any similar naval games that are actually good?

the actual combat in naval action is really, *really* good, both pve and pvp. easily some of the best fun i had in an online game

unfortunately, the devs decided they want to make it an eve-o like mmo, where players fight for ports. this brings with it some bad and some good things, but mostly bad. if you want to do some quick pvp, you have to seek out other players, and honestly, even the caribbean sea is loving vast, so the chances are kinda slim at best unless you seek out people near enemy ports, but then it's obviously super easy to get blobbed real quick

the good parts were the port battles and factions
when a faction captures a port, they decide a 2 hour window couple days when port battles can happen in it, so they can be around to defend it, sort of like stront works in eve-o but much more straightforward
the port battles are really fun, and i think the limit for players in a single battle is 50v50 and the game looks great so it's a treat to look at too

factions are good because one of the factions you can choose is pirates, and all the dirty casuals who didn't want to bother with stupid redcoat reenactor bullshit or similar flocked there, while all the "real" country players were in a permanent meltdown about how pirates are supposed to be individual ships and not giant fleets taking ports lmfao

if it was just "world of sailboats" i think it would have been a much more successful game, because the actual combat/gameplay is amazing. the pve is decent enough to hold you for a while but the mmo around it ends up being too much of a pain to bother with when it comes to pvp, and pvp was clearly their main focus so the game just ends up being kinda lacking

also, IIRC they eventually nerfed capturing ships so you can't progress up the ladder for "free" anymore. used to be that if you disabled an enemy ship (in pve or pvp) and boarded it instead of sinking it, you could take it to port and repair it. you only got 1 life when stealing a boat (buying a ship gives you 5 "lives" with it), but it was super easy to group up with a couple players and board some ships to steal from the AI

Truga fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 27, 2022

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

People bring this point up time and time again but I'd like to repeat it because, yeah. MMOs were
our social media. You logged on for a community. The internet world is different now. You hit the same poo poo over and over cause you hopefully had a cool group of core guild people who were your online buddies. Now, socializing is not done on MMOs hardly at all.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

pirates of the burning sea still exists

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Everquest was a chatroom where you sometimes killed a goblin, now you just hang out on discord and play actual good games together

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

an iksar marauder posted:

Everquest was a chatroom where you sometimes killed a goblin, now you just hang out on discord and play actual good games together

I play only bad games

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

smh, undeserving of the forum name

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Not true. I killed a dragon and an avatar of the god of war too!

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Vinestalk posted:

smh, undeserving of the forum name

Your faction standing with TheForsaken got worse.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Lol

I honestly don't know how much time I've spent at the explorer tower in LoIO, turning in bone chips to trooper mozo, and killing the forsaken. I've MQed Greenmist and up to the final shackle for Whistling Fists as a bard, and factioned up and done Greenmist and the second to last shaman cudgel as trolls. The early quests suck but the last couple in each line are so cool. Running up to Cazic Thule as an iksar monk and doing the final turn for whistling fists fuckin rules.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

iksar monk is the ultimate eq1 character

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

pirates of the burning sea still exists

Yeah, and they broke their US server two months ago, it's still not up.

It's a miracle they're still operating. Their revenue took a huge hit last year because their rmt currency was being duped and they didn't notice for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

Yeah, and they broke their US server two months ago, it's still not up.

It's a miracle they're still operating. Their revenue took a huge hit last year because their rmt currency was being duped and they didn't notice for months.

Well at this point the IP has been bought and sold so many times...isn't it technically a 'fan-run' company now that's keeping the servers going?