Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Yeah, the power density of an MSLA machine's LED array is low enough that even if you did glance at it operating with the lid off, it wouldn't cause any eye damage. You just wouldn't want to stare at it.

A laser SLA is a different story, since the power density is much higher. If the UV laser somehow got directed right into your eye, that's much more dangerous. However, if the machine has proper safety interlocks so that the laser cannot get out of the machine, that's a class 1 device and no eye protection is required. It would only be a concern if you had some hackjob machine like those aliexpress open-air blu-ray laser engravers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

Doctor Zero posted:

I used the firmware linked here: https://github.com/NARUTOfzr/Neptune_3. It is a little janky, so if it didn't look like it worked, just do it again. It should work the 2nd time. I updated the LCD firmware first (take it apart and there's a micro SD card in there), and then did the machine firmware (normal micro SD)

So is updating firmware just a matter of taking the micro SD cards to a computer with an SD reader and overwriting the files? My last printer I did it through their proprietary Cura build.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Listerine posted:

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

So is updating firmware just a matter of taking the micro SD cards to a computer with an SD reader and overwriting the files? My last printer I did it through their proprietary Cura build.

Just to be safe I’d delete everything else off it first, but otherwise yes.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

mattfl posted:

When you use your voron to print PLA, do you remove all the enclosure panels?

They happen to be mostly off since i was working on the wiring again, but im about to readd them since the new kitten has taken an interest. Usually i'll leave the doors open though
They will remain off for a bit until i build the new toolhead and set up my accel board and take it from there

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Doctor Zero posted:

Just to be safe I’d delete everything else off it first, but otherwise yes.

Ok, thanks.

One other question for the Neptune. On my other printer, I have a custom spool holder that I got off Thingiverse or wherever that rises above the printer, so the filament just feeds down into the extruder. Are there any 3rd party spool holder solutions that are particularly good for the Neptune?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I have at work a Robo3D E3 printer. Anybody ever use one?

It appears to be a RepRap printer with a built-in MIPS32 SOC controller running a custom build of OpenWRT with some custom software. There's no USB client port, but you can plug a thumb drive into it. It also has an ethernet port and apparently wifi.

I sniffed the traffic it sends home and it looks like a fairly simple task to write a fake server to send it gcode. And I can probably reverse-engineer the gcode to figure out what the cura/slic3r settings are for it. But I'm wondering if somebody else may have already done such a thing... anybody know?

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 27, 2022

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

As of now I've made more money on Etsy in the last 30 days than my actual day job. Kinda crazy.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

queeb posted:

As of now I've made more money on Etsy in the last 30 days than my actual day job. Kinda crazy.

Nice! What are you selling?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Just random dnd resin minis and 3d printed terrain. No idea why it's selling so crazy aside from Christmas coming I guess. But man, I'm doing multiple sales per day every day. Like 140+ dollar 3d printed buildings and stuff. I'm going to pick up a 4th ender 3 to keep up.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
That's awesome, queeb. When you made an Etsy store, did you advertise anywhere or did sales come "organically"?

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 27, 2022

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I can't speak for queeb, but I haven't done anything more than just put poo poo up and let searches find me. Right now it's mostly just random fandom stickers and vinyls (mostly The Expanse), but I did sell a pair of earrings this summer.

I think one of the keys is internal SEO. Making sure you have the right keywords in your listings to show up in organic search results.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i do like 4 bucks a day in advertising, only a couple things. otherwise i just post on instagram a lot and steal keywords and stuff from other listings that are doing well lol.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

queeb posted:

i do like 4 bucks a day in advertising, only a couple things. otherwise i just post on instagram a lot and steal keywords and stuff from other listings that are doing well lol.

How much traffic do you get from instagram?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

edit: this is the last 30 days

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

queeb posted:

edit: this is the last 30 days

Good work dude. As you grow, I fully encourage you too look into an Etsy alternative. They take a massive cut (especially once your forced into offsite ads), and will just knock you off the platform and de-list your stuff if some company decides your stuff is infringing IP.

GW's IP algorithm hit me on there a year ago and knocked my shop for a month, but more importantly when you crunch the numbers Etsy ends up taking ~30% overhead. Shopify with shuttle is my recommendation. spend advertising dollars on there instead and point users to it with your invoice in etsy

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

A co-worker asked me to print a model and I just don't even.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5031902/files

What do you goons suggest here? Clearly I'm going to need supports all over the place, but would rotating this one way or the other minimize how much support material I need? Should I use auto-supports or paint them on to strategic places? Are there different supports than the "wavy line" ones I've been using that I should look into here? Like, I recall seeing something that looked like tree branches...

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

cruft posted:

A co-worker asked me to print a model and I just don't even.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5031902/files

What do you goons suggest here? Clearly I'm going to need supports all over the place, but would rotating this one way or the other minimize how much support material I need? Should I use auto-supports or paint them on to strategic places? Are there different supports than the "wavy line" ones I've been using that I should look into here? Like, I recall seeing something that looked like tree branches...

FDM or resin?

Looking at the images there, it looks like it's meant for resin.

FDM I'd print the model cut in half and glue it together, I do that a lot with awkward models.

This looks like it could print with minimal supports

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
"3d printable pumpkin box"

I swear that half the people posting poo poo on thingiverse think that "3d printable" means "is STL." Yes, that file is technically 3D printable. It isn't remotely optimized for the process. Argh.

Shitload of supports or splitting it in half are the only ways you'll make it successfully. It would work fine on a resin printer, but that still falls into the "shitload of supports" category.

e: oh cool it's also sixty-eight fuckin megabytes and 1.4 million polygons for that. And the eyes aren't merged into the main body. Whoever made it is a giant moron

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 27, 2022

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
lol I love finding models like that. MORE POLYS = MORE BETTER

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I don't let people send me things off thingiverse to print anymore for that reason. It's hard to explain that they found dumb poo poo that's a pain to print. Instead I ask what they want and I look for things myself.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fwiw JOSEF PRUSA'S printables.com (BY JOSEF PRUSA) generally has much better stuff these days. There's still some crap, but it seems to be populated more by people who actually know something about how printers work than Thingiverse.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

fwiw JOSEF PRUSA'S printables.com (BY JOSEF PRUSA) generally has much better stuff these days. There's still some crap, but it seems to be populated more by people who actually know something about how printers work than Thingiverse.

Yeah, it's pretty good, but who's behind it all? :iiam:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I swear that half the people posting poo poo on thingiverse think that "3d printable" means "is STL." Yes, that file is technically 3D printable. It isn't remotely optimized for the process. Argh.

Shitload of supports or splitting it in half are the only ways you'll make it successfully. It would work fine on a resin printer, but that still falls into the "shitload of supports" category.

e: oh cool it's also sixty-eight fuckin megabytes and 1.4 million polygons for that. And the eyes aren't merged into the main body. Whoever made it is a giant moron

it's also in inches :)

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 27, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

poo poo like that is why i dont take commissions.

it's a lot easier to say "ok but the guy who designed this model is a loving idiot and i will do the best i can" to a buddy who you agreed to do a favor for. and it's way easier to abandon a project and tell them 'this isn't working out' if you didn't take any money.

that and they do all my wig design/sewing work in exchange.

but inevitably at a con some loving rando:

quote:

you should make this your job!!!!

no thanks, I have a job, and it pays well enough that this is my hobby. i am not giving that up to make plastic garbage for assholes.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Deviant posted:

no thanks, I have a job, and it pays well enough that this is my hobby.

I would like to petition for this to become the title text for HCH.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Back when I did 3D printing as a service I swear half the jobs were these hosed-up models I had to spend time a) fixing or b) figuring out "how the gently caress am I even going to print this?"

It gave me an appreciation for why machine shops or anything else like that charge the prices they do :haw:

Printing a la carte stuff like terrain or whatever, now that's more like it. Not user-submitted rando models, no thanks.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

Ever since I upgraded to Marlin 2.1.x-bugfix, I'm getting MINTEMP errors as soon as I start a print after turning things on. It never happens during a print, or when I start a second print. It has to be the first print after turning the machine on.

I'm like 80% sure it's firmware. I'm going to downgrade to 2.0.x-bugfix to make sure it actually goes away. If not, I guess I get to start replacing poo poo.

Anyway, this all got me reading about fire safety of the Ender 3 v2, and... well, the Prusa MK3S+ is starting to look attractive.

It was the firmware.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

cruft posted:

I would like to petition for this to become the title text for HCH.

Our banner is a kitchen table covered in half completed projects, rampant on a field.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Pro tip, if your hotend firmware maxtemp is 300C, don't try and heat it to 300C because PID will go above and cause a shutdown.

That being said, the Creality Spider 3.0 I just finally got hooked up (had to replace the cartridge because I couldn't get it loose from the old hotend, and gently caress fishing wires through braided sleeve) and did a quick test heat. Room temp to 300C in about 3.5min. next is leveling and a test print with the 0.4 that it shipped with.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Sagebrush posted:

That's better than the digital anatomy learning site I demo'd once, they had a section for downloadable 3D printable models, and everything in it was obscenely bad. Meshes weren't watertight, they had individual polygons just floating in space, it was atrocious.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I think the plan is to direct people to a personal site once I have some time to do that. I may be partnering with a friend who's a civic engineer that had always wanted to do MDF terrain and buildings, since he has access to a laser cutter. Just trying to settle on a program to do it in, probably fusion 360. Then we'd have our Own actual stuff, not licenced things.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I've been throwing around the idea of making a Giant Size globe, I think the largest object you can comfortably fit through any door is 29" (standard door is 36" but many 30" doors still exist). If you printed each "quarter" (eighth, really) 29x29x29 you end up with a 4.8' diameter globe, which... would need to be stored outside, and probably painted with a UV resistant paint and then blue and brown over that because I'm not storing it inside

What is going to be dimensionally stable, if anything, up to ~120-150 degrees? Presuming that's how hot it's gonna get in full sun. Thinking ABS or ASA? Both have glass transition temps in the 100c range which is plenty, PETG goes to 80C which is north of 160F. Am I thinking about this correctly

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

Pro tip, if your hotend firmware maxtemp is 300C, don't try and heat it to 300C because PID will go above and cause a shutdown.

That being said, the Creality Spider 3.0 I just finally got hooked up (had to replace the cartridge because I couldn't get it loose from the old hotend, and gently caress fishing wires through braided sleeve) and did a quick test heat. Room temp to 300C in about 3.5min. next is leveling and a test print with the 0.4 that it shipped with.

Funny note, I have my toolhead PCB loose since i was about to replace parts, but fell into the old folly of 'well, just one more print' as i was testing various updates.

On the PT1000 thermistor, shorts or other problems in the line cause the temp reported to spike up. I have a graph history of showing 215 C solidly with occasional spikes to 350+ etc. All fine so far i was gonna fix it later until i got a particularly bad short / twist / whatever and the temp spiked to 900C+ (reported, not real) and my firmware promptly shut it all down for thermal overrun 8+ hours into a print.

long sigh. i guess i should spend the time tonight to build the new stuff and install. Which I get to do, then turn around and reprint it all over again since there were a few big updates. Might as well hook up with CW2 at the same time. I just debate if i should buck up for a revo or just stick with this dragon HF so far.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sagebrush posted:

That's the truth. poo poo, even when people know what they're doing, you end up with stuff that's... difficult as hell to print. "How to make things" is it's own like.. branch of engineering and design. And it's not emphasized enough.

I'm in the process printing the babybelt printer, and lots of it's parts are... a trial. (I've provided feedback to the designer, and he's working on the things. A good dude from what I can tell.)

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I was printing a skull for a coworker and i noticed the cheekbones and a couple parts would overhang. Slicer preview shows a few parts just appearing in thin air.

Default supports were a mess in superslicer, and i was missing tree supports from cura. Using the functionality to paint a couple small spots i wanted supports worked really well in superslicer. Now i just need that and lightning infill and i am golden

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Why doesn't prusaslicer offer tree supports

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

...because they haven't written it yet? Pull requests welcome. (Like, last night I got tired of having to manually set up printers on different computers, so I just PR'd definitions to Cura.)

Supposedly it'll be in the next release around Christmas, though.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Why doesn't prusaslicer offer tree supports

I just tried Cura for the first time for this reason, and it seems kinda nice. Are people ITT mostly using Prusa?

(The print still failed, I gave up on the pumpkin octopus cat thing)

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
I wanna print my nephew some cool terrain and such for his dnd hobby, anything you fine folks would reccomend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insta
Jan 28, 2009
finding a friend with a 3d printer instead of buying your own boat/horse