Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have spent most of (actually all of it) my morning at work thinking about Final Fantasy 8, 9 and 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I spend all my time at work thinking about video games apart from the time when I'm thinking about VideoGames

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I spend my time at work going 'oh poo poo oh gently caress'

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I work really hard for my 2 days in the office so I can chill a bit and watch Limmy on my wfh days.

He's been playing crap games recently tho

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

I spend all my time at work thinking about video games apart from the time when I'm thinking about VideoGames

:3:
I really really really need to play FFX-2.

Also FFXII and FFVI and FFXIII and FFXV and FFXIV and FFXVI and FFV and...

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

:3:
I really really really need to play FFX-2.

Literally so hype for this :getin:

How's Symphony of the Night?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FFX-2 is to this day the greatest JRPG ever made

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

Literally so hype for this :getin:

How's Symphony of the Night?

It is going REALLY well. I am about 8 hours in and am in Upside Down Dracula House and I was a tad underlevelled and only doing 1-10points of damage to enemies but just found a rainbow dagger and am starting to get beefy a second time. I really, really love platformers.

Also I cannot wait to get round to FFX-2. I just keep thinking about FFX and 8 and 9s stories over and over and put the music on and just realise how much I have fallen for a game genre and it is wild. :3:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I work really hard for my 2 days in the office so I can chill a bit and watch Limmy on my wfh days.

He's been playing crap games recently tho

Case of the Golden Idol is good

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

umm where the hell is your SOTN av? <:mad:>

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

what is a man

a miserable poyo of secrets

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Yeah but did you play the correct translation of SotN, or the one for jerks?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I am making one this evening. I have not had any time to create one thanks to house shenanigans. This evening I have an evening to myself :) Gotta try to come up with something great.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah but did you play the correct translation of SotN, or the one for jerks?

to his credit veegy made the proper choice, and good thing, too...he was brought here by gamers...who wish to pay him tribute!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yeah it was tricky but I got my PS3 up and running with the PSX version of SotN. So I get to hear the amazing voice acting which truly is wonderful.

"Hricter!"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How many Castlevania games are you planning on doing VG? Cause you should def watch the Netflix series at some point if you're enjoying it.

It's really really good.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Infinitum posted:

How many Castlevania games are you planning on doing VG? Cause you should def watch the Netflix series at some point if you're enjoying it.

It's really really good.

Honestly not sure how many on stream. I will play all that I can, but I have two other games off stream that I am playing right now. I will definitely watch the series once I have got more a handle on the Belmont family :)

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

the concept of ffx-2 is fun and the dress sphere system owns, but the mission based structure of the game is real bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the most important part of veegy playing the psx version is hearing I Am The Wind at the end credits :drac: :sax:

edit; and the best part it's the same lady that sings snake eater lmao

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 27, 2022

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
New game from ex-Playdead staff is coming much sooner than I expected; I had just assumed that this had been delayed to 2023 given the lack of news this year. Also going to be on Game Pass at launch.

https://twitter.com/jumpshipstudio/status/1585617631045885964

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm more annoyed than I should be that they put this "launch" trailer out two weeks before the game actually launches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1wr0DfV73E

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

VideoGames posted:

I have spent most of (actually all of it) my morning at work thinking about Final Fantasy 8, 9 and 10.

Which one is the best

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

VideoGames posted:

They really are the best FF games

E: including x-2 under the x umbrella :colbert:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
At this point I'm wondering how much VG would freak out playing Romancing SaGa or SaGa Frontier

Also VG did you ever get to play Open Sorcery

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yeah I wanna see Veeg play a SaGa game one of these days

SaGa Frontier is my favorite but I feel like Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is probably more approachable. Luckily by the time he might get around to it they'll both have readily available remasters to play

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Remember Unlimited SaGa?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

......no

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Remember Unlimited SaGa?

i have tried very hard to forget it

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I need the least limited SaGa you've got

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Remember Unlimited SaGa?

No that's too much

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Seeinghow VG would progress through Romancing SaGa 2 would be neat just seeing what stuff he unlocks.

VG do you even know anything about SaGa games because I suspect if you don't then hoo boy you'd be in for a treat. They are not very traditional as far as jrpgs go.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

I need the least limited SaGa you've got

Probably Final Fantasy Legend 1 or 2 then, maybe 3 :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A documentary about people who fall in love with their video game consoles titled Romancing Sega.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

A documentary about people who fall in love with their video game consoles titled Romancing Sega.

I think that's just hyperdimension neptunia

oh god what if VG played a neptunia game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
VG 30 years after playing Neptunia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16cxOv2KGLE&t=2446s

e: vid embedding is disabled but it should take you to 40:46

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 27, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SaGa games are one of the JRPG deep ends. There are several different "deep ends" in the JRPG pool and they don't necessarily intersect. Lots of bigtime JRPG fans don't vibe with SaGa even as they dive happily into other weird or niche JRPGs (and vice versa).

You gotta be okay with a game that's going to tell you only a portion of what you should probably know to succeed, will actively reject your attempts to follow a linear storyline (especially SaGa Frontier, multiple scenarios will just punch you straight in the face if you try to just follow the story), will make side quests appear and disappear for seemingly no reason at all (and once you do know the reason it'll just make you go :psyduck:), where sometimes they gently caress with the skill learning formulas just because even the designers don't want to know how it works.

For some people, like me, that list of features is straight-up jolly and these games are an endless font of joy. For others, they're just obtuse, hair-pulling experiences that make you long for how understandable Dark Souls NPC quests are by comparison. When I recommend SaGa games I usually lead with the weird because if someone hears about how the skill system designer in SaGa Frontier changed values so even he wouldn't understand how it works and goes "lol that owns," that probably means they'll have a good time. And if they hear that story and go "what the hell that sounds like Bad Game Design" then they can safely disregard my recommendation, no harm, no foul.

The series does vary pretty widely when it comes to how obtuse it is. Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is pretty approachable (unless you're trying to 100% it, hahaha have fun learning about event rank!!!) while SaGa Frontier can be really obtuse, and then it keeps going even further and you get games like Unlimited SaGa that even most SaGa fans look at and say "hey what the gently caress"

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 27, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

this is about 50% of the plot of isekai ojisan

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

SaGa games are one of the JRPG deep ends. There are several different "deep ends" in the JRPG pool and they don't necessarily intersect. Lots of bigtime JRPG fans don't vibe with SaGa even as they dive happily into other weird or niche JRPGs (and vice versa).

You gotta be okay with a game that's going to tell you only a portion of what you should probably know to succeed, will actively reject your attempts to follow a linear storyline (especially SaGa Frontier, multiple scenarios will just punch you straight in the face if you try to just follow the story), will make side quests appear and disappear for seemingly no reason at all (and once you do know the reason it'll just make you go :psyduck:), where sometimes they gently caress with the skill learning formulas just because even the designers don't want to know how it works.

For some people, like me, that list of features is straight-up jolly and these games are an endless font of joy. For others, they're just obtuse, hair-pulling experiences that make you long for how understandable Dark Souls NPC quests are by comparison.

The series does vary pretty widely when it comes to how obtuse it is. Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is pretty approachable (unless you're trying to 100% it, hahaha have fun learning about event rank!!!) while SaGa Frontier can be really obtuse, and then it keeps going even further and you get games like Unlimited SaGa that even most SaGa fans look at and say "hey what the gently caress"

SaGa post-Gameboy really just feels like a JRPG trying to be a Western RPG*, with how the games are largely mostly pretty open and the story can vary wildly with some poo poo like Romancing SaGa 2 having entire scenarios play out completely differently depending on when you found them.

*I mean this in the best possible way

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

SaGa post-Gameboy really just feels like a JRPG trying to be a Western RPG*, with how the games are largely mostly pretty open and the story can vary wildly with some poo poo like Romancing SaGa 2 having entire scenarios play out completely differently depending on when you found them.

*I mean this in the best possible way

Interestingly I think there's a good amount of crossover between SaGa and Souls games, which your Western RPG comparison made me think about.

They're very different kinds of games, obviously, but there's like a shared design ethos there. Hidetaka Miyazaki has talked about how one of the inspirations for Souls games is how he used to read fantasy books in English wen he was younger and only understand portions, having to fill in the rest with his imagination. He wanted to capture that feeling in his games. The SaGa games also capture a similar feeling.

If the obtuse or obscure parts of Souls games are a source of joy more than frustration for someone, they'll probably have a good time with SaGa, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Which one is the best

This is actually the whole reason I have been thinking about them. GOTY thread is approaching and I wondered how I would rank them and to be honest it was easier to rank the Souls games.

FF8 9 and 10 are all truly excellent and each one does several things better than the other. I am struggling to figure out which one wins overall right now.

FirstAidKite posted:

At this point I'm wondering how much VG would freak out playing Romancing SaGa or SaGa Frontier

Harrow posted:

Hell yeah I wanna see Veeg play a SaGa game one of these days

SaGa Frontier is my favorite but I feel like Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song is probably more approachable. Luckily by the time he might get around to it they'll both have readily available remasters to play

Harrow definitely recommended me a SaGa game (though I cannot recall which one) but yes I WILL be playing one. I am genuinely super in to the traditional jRPG genre and I think about them a ton when I am not playing them. :)

FirstAidKite posted:

Seeinghow VG would progress through Romancing SaGa 2 would be neat just seeing what stuff he unlocks.

VG do you even know anything about SaGa games because I suspect if you don't then hoo boy you'd be in for a treat. They are not very traditional as far as jrpgs go.

Also I have no knowledge of them whatsoever other than their names have a capitalised G. I cannot even tell you which one Harrow told me I should play :shobon: