Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I feel as if Gil Thorpe is not equipped to handle something that could very well be a take on the Uvalde shooting but with the cops actually going in, and if it's not that then I don't think it's equipped to handle a school shooting storyline period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Green Intern posted:

I'm really enjoying the nonstop punning and wordplay here.

I think this is the smoothest transition I've seen from TV to comic.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hostile V posted:

I feel as if Gil Thorpe is not equipped to handle something that could very well be a take on the Uvalde shooting but with the cops actually going in, and if it's not that then I don't think it's equipped to handle a school shooting storyline period.

Are there any strips posted in this thread equipped to comment on that?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kavak posted:

Noooo. Will they try? Obviously. Can't wait until 2024 when there's a shooting at Funky Winkerbean Memorial High!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kavak posted:

Tauhid Bondia could handle the topic, but it definitely wouldn't fit thematically in Crabgrass. Perhaps if he reactivated A Problem Like Jamal.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Tauhid Bondia could handle the topic, but it definitely wouldn't fit thematically in Crabgrass. Perhaps if he reactivated A Problem Like Jamal.

I agree.

Now for a question much more suited to the thread: Who besides Gil Thorp is least equipped to discuss this topic? No points for Funky Winkerbean, they already did some kind of March For Our Lives thing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Rose is rose.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Computoon.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sally Forth, but like the depression stuff they'd make a gag out of being aware they're poorly equipped to handle it which would make it okay for them to be clumsy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kavak posted:

I agree.

Now for a question much more suited to the thread: Who besides Gil Thorp is least equipped to discuss this topic?

no matter the topic, it's 9 Chickweed Lane

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

McEldowney would have the twins seduce the gunman before he does anything.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He can use the suddenly jailbait twins. They can die. The parents can be sad for a week and then gently caress like rabbits to replace them. That should fill a standard year of chickweed plot.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

One of the shooters would fall in love with a teacher and they'd totally do it and it would be so freakin HAWT and if you don't like it you're, like, a total prude who just loves scarfing up our puritanical culture

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kavak posted:

Now for a question much more suited to the thread: Who besides Gil Thorp is least equipped to discuss this topic?

The Family Circus

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

goatface posted:

He can use the suddenly jailbait twins. They can die. The parents can be sad for a week and then gently caress like rabbits to replace them. That should fill a standard year of chickweed plot.

Then Thorax and other guy could create a rift in space-time and the jailbait twins will reappear in Nazi Germany...

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bruceski posted:

I think this is the smoothest transition I've seen from TV to comic.

It's perfect. They even have the same number of animation frames.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Kevin & Kell doing a "There's a predator loose in the prey school" story where it turns out the killer is actually an herbivore who is trying to "cure" himself or some poo poo.

Here's the twist: it's alllllllllll played for laughs!

Kavak posted:

McEldowney would have the twins seduce the gunman before he does anything.

One twin is killed, the survivor falls in love with the shooter. We learn he's not evil, just misunderstood, only the lovegently caress of a good woman can change him. It's a tragic lovegently caress story.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (April 22-28, 1985)

Bullwinkle

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Philbert Desanex' 100,000th Dream

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Hey look what finally showed up... Olive & Popeye (Shadia's day on)

:china:

Our Boarding House (December 18-20, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (March 11-13, 1920; spoilered over the usual issues)

"--inasmuch as after being black-balled she mounted a convenient shed and dropped a large piece of Rubber down the club house stove-pipe."

Dok's "Better Gift Shop Than Sherlock Got At Reichenbach Falls" Duck (June 4, 1914; spoilered for more of the usual)

Little Lefty (July 19-21, 1938)

:china: :china: :china:

Blondie From Zero: End-Of-The-Beginning-Game (January 19-21, 1933)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hostile V posted:

Computoon.

F Minus

Mark Trail

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Nov 24, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 7-8, 1992)

Big Nate

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Catching up on discussion from a page ago about all the little Chinese flags. I figure I should iterate that, in terms of more established image hosting services, Darthemed has been using ImgPile forever and no one's noticed. The reason I don't use it myself is because I can't see the captcha required to make an account and there's watermarks if you don't have an account. I don't mind having to click on the little flags for the alternative source, but I do feel a little bad about the redundancy is all. As far as I can tell basically anything works except for imgur on my end.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I really appreciate the Crabgrass writing.

I skipped about a month of comix and Tiffany in Luann is in the same outfit.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary (click :drac: for alt host)

:drac:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: Mike's falls into Stanton's hands, or You know, instead of providing commentary, you cops could... oh, I don't know... ENFORCE THE LAW, or Blueberry throws the dice on one last gamble!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ooo, I just got a Mary Worth theory I like. Zak ends up in the hospital. But the hospital staff refuses to let Iris see him because they're not married.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i'll be utterly stunned and surprised if this Mary Worth ends up being anything other than a dream sequence.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Legend of Bill

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Continuing The Private Life Of Popeye:

"POPEYE" LIFE STORY REPLETE WITH THRILLS AS HARDY YOUNGSTER PROVES METAL

CHAPTER TWO

Poor little Popeye was an orphan, due to the fact that both of his parents were dead and also to the sad fact that he had neither pa nor ma. His clothing consisted mainly of old flour sacks, cigar coupons and old blades from a straight razor. Then Whaler Joe picked up the luckless lad on the docks and brought him a new pipe and a fascinating straw skimmer with handsome radio antennae by which marooned dandruff could send SOS calls.

Popeye at the age of six began to fulfill his earlier promise. None of the bullies around the docks needed to lose their first teeth with the aid of a door-know. Popeye releieved them of useless bicuspids with his famous left-right to the jaw. He was a great factor for good in discouraging crap-shooting among the rough dock children. He did this by invaribly making eighteen straight passes when he got the dice.

But times grew hard and Whaler Joe didn't catch many whales that year. Popeye had to sell his dice to the junk man for the lead in them. One day little Popeye came home through the snow with old Whaler Joe's evening slug of white mule, guarding the rpecious burden against the elements with his frost-bitten fifty-pounds boyish biceps. Then he fared forth again a-whaling with a bent pin and a spool of thread.

The whales noticed the tot's meager fishing equipment when he really should have come prepared with a net, and thrashed about impudently giving, in a word, the horse-laugh to Popeye. Like a flash the quick-tempered youngster called to the deep-sea upstarts:

"Blow me down, you----!"

There was immediately quiet like a pall around Popeye's frail bobbing craft. The largest of the whales, deeply offended, climbed into the boat and gave Popeye a jet of water straight on the chin. The boy grinned, feeling his strength for the first time, and delivered a fast one-two to the place where the whale's chin might have been. The big beast staggered and fell limply to the bottom of the boat.

Popeye brought home a nice string of whales that night.

(Easy's note: For what it's worth, The Private Life Of Popeye was the only mention of Whaler Joe until Randy pulled him back into canon for Popeye's Cartoon Club.)

I love every bit of this

Giant Ethicist posted:

Self-Propelled Public Bath

And I love how absurd this whole idea is. That panel of the two bathhouses bearing down on each other is delightful

Vintage Valiant (Dec. 20, 1953)

Alt 1/3
Alt 2/3
Alt 3/3

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sometimes I wonder if Mark Trail might be interesting if Mark was able to accomplish things no other person could expect, like if he picked up information on animal abuse by talking directly to the tigers because he can speak to animals, an actually interesting plot hook that was abandoned for what I can only assume is sheer laziness, or incompetence, or even forgetfulness.

So how does Mark bust Tess? He asks the first person he sees who immediately tells him about it in clear, incriminating terms after Mark uses a line that could only fool an idiot.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/26/02

Brenda Starr 9/19-21/49

Smokey Stover 11/19/50

Everyday Movies 9/17/35

"Would Shirley Temple make a raspberry noise at HER Uncle Max?"

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Some Guy TT posted:

Ooo, I just got a Mary Worth theory I like. Zak ends up in the hospital. But the hospital staff refuses to let Iris see him because they're not married.

Zak loses his memory in the fall, and falls hopelessly in love with Wilbur!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

Catching up on discussion from a page ago about all the little Chinese flags. I figure I should iterate that, in terms of more established image hosting services, Darthemed has been using ImgPile forever and no one's noticed. The reason I don't use it myself is because I can't see the captcha required to make an account and there's watermarks if you don't have an account. I don't mind having to click on the little flags for the alternative source, but I do feel a little bad about the redundancy is all. As far as I can tell basically anything works except for imgur on my end.

Looking around at other image hosts out there, imgbb is reasonably large and seems to have a nice straightforward API that could be incorporated into the script pretty easily. But before I start actually working on it, let's make sure you can actually see it. So, Some Guy TT, please confirm whether or not you can see this image from behind the Great Firewall.

Bizarro

Alt

The Family Circus

Alt

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (December 27, 1934)

Peanuts (October 27, 1975, which really was Veteran's Day in America for a few years in the 70s.)

Funky Winkerbean

:smug: (whoops, that was supposed to be a Chinese flag, how'd that get in here, etc. etc.)

WHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Mutt and Jeff

Rip(-off) Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 29, 1939)

Olive & Popeye (Randy's day on)

Questel, for Mae. :unsmith:

Out Our Way (March 11-13, 1940)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (November 21, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU2pyn82g74

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Context makes this so much worse, holy poo poo.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 27, 2022