Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What are the other JRPG deep ends?

Atelier (crafting)
Kingdom Hearts (story)
Super Robot Wars (mechs)
Star Ocean (bullshit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Also I have no knowledge of them whatsoever other than their names have a capitalised G. I cannot even tell you which one Harrow told me I should play :shobon:

I probably recommended SaGa Frontier but honestly with the Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song remaster coming out soon, I might recommend that one as a first SaGa instead. I personally like Frontier better--it has an absolutely wild and really creative setting and I like how freeform it is--but RS Minstrel Song is definitely more approachable upfront.

Either one would be great, though. It's basically down to whether you're more excited about a 2D game with an oddball science-fantasy setting and light narrative, or a 3D one with a more traditional fantasy setting and a bit more direction in the story. (Also FYI most SaGa games are pretty short but meant to be played multiple times so when you do get around to one, I'd recommend doing at least two playthroughs with different main characters to see how things are different. SaGa Frontier especially has seven entirely separate main stories, each one being like 10 hours long or so, and it's worth playing them all.)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Harrow posted:

a 2D game with an oddball science-fantasy setting and light narrative

This is the one! You know how I love when stories get bonkers :D
Which one is this?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If Citizen Sleeper is my current Goty, would I probably like Disco Elysium?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

This is the one! You know how I love when stories get bonkers :D
Which one is this?

Frontier! My favorite

The main character choices include such highlights as "possibly kinda evil wizard," "shapeshifting robot with amnesia," and "lesbian unseelie fae/vampire queen"

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 27, 2022

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rarity posted:

Atelier (crafting)
Kingdom Hearts (story)
Super Robot Wars (mechs)
Star Ocean (bullshit)

Trails more for story since we're up to like 12 games now of pretty continuous plot

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also Veeg when you do play SaGa Frontier don't hesitate to pop into the SaGa thread and ask for help if you need it, especially with things like "how does this skill learning system work" and "what the heck is going on with monster party members"

We've got a few people--like me--with weirdly encyclopedic knowledge of the game who are all to happy to talk about the game forever

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hey VG, what did you think of ff8's main villain? I'm super curious

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Veeg, when you get around to playing grim fandango, hmu if you get stuck, I think I remember most of the puzzle solutions

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Hey VG, what did you think of ff8's main villain? I'm super curious

Which one?? ;)

Ultimecia was fantastic, but also tragic because there is definitely some kind of link between her and Rinoa and I think that even if they are not the same person, she has her memories and I feel like the love for Squall that Rinoa has has transposed onto Ultimecia and that is why she wants to time compress. So she can be back where Squall is.

The whole game is about failed love really and that is why it is so powerful to me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They meant Laguna

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Obviously NORG

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Veeg, when you get around to playing grim fandango, hmu if you get stuck, I think I remember most of the puzzle solutions

this is how I know you haven't played SaGa Frontier lol

Nobody in the world has ever managed to make a monster party member better than a paperweight without pulling up this 17-year-old GameFAQs guide, reading it three times from beginning to end, and still not entirely understanding it but lucking into a weird crystal tree form somehow anyway

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

They meant Laguna

:prepop:

No way! He is not!

Jay Rust posted:

I genuinely do plan to play this in the future. I have day of the tentacle, maniac mansion, sam n max and monkey island 1 and 3 under my belt. I am sure I can do Grim Fandango.

Harrow posted:

Also Veeg when you do play SaGa Frontier don't hesitate to pop into the SaGa thread and ask for help if you need it, especially with things like "how does this skill learning system work" and "what the heck is going on with monster party members"

We've got a few people--like me--with weirdly encyclopedic knowledge of the game who are all to happy to talk about the game forever

I like to get utterly stuck first, and somehow magoo my way out of things without understanding why ;) However yes. I would drop in. I want to drop into the FF megathread but there would be so much unspoiled posts that I will have to wait for a while.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

monkey island 1 and 3

How could you miss the best one?

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

VideoGames posted:

Which one?? ;)

Ultimecia was fantastic, but also tragic because there is definitely some kind of link between her and Rinoa and I think that even if they are not the same person, she has her memories and I feel like the love for Squall that Rinoa has has transposed onto Ultimecia and that is why she wants to time compress. So she can be back where Squall is.

The whole game is about failed love really and that is why it is so powerful to me.

Hell yeah :hfive:

Jay Rust posted:

They meant Laguna

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I like to get utterly stuck first, and somehow magoo my way out of things without understanding why ;) However yes. I would drop in. I want to drop into the FF megathread but there would be so much unspoiled posts that I will have to wait for a while.

I'm gonna have a great time watching you stream SaGa Frontier because if anyone in the world can magoo their way into wild success on a first playthrough, it's you

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

How could you miss the best one?

2 is better than 1 and 3?? Well 1 I got from my bestie on his ancient floppy disks, then he leant me Curse when I first got a CD-Rom. I do own 2 I just have never gotten round to playing it. I know I should. :)

I have REALLY been thinking about them today. :D

Harrow posted:

I'm gonna have a great time watching you stream SaGa Frontier because if anyone in the world can magoo their way into wild success on a first playthrough, it's you

Hahah this makes me wish to play even more!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

oh also to clarify this is less an offer of "lemme give you a walkthrough :yayclod:" which yeah no that would be dumb, and more that we're there to help if you find yourself in a situation where suddenly all the enemies everywhere are super strong and no matter what you do your team keeps getting owned and you don't even know what you did wrong. There's always a way out of a situation like that without having to start over but a new player probably wouldn't know where to look and it can get kinda frustrating

Though with Veeg's luck he'll probably neatly pirouette around that entirely and somehow be the only person in the world to finish Riki's scenario and not have invented a new curse word along the way

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

someone in this thread might know: do i have to play arkham origins or can i skip straight from city to knight? i found out today i own asylum, city, and knight, but not origins, but since origins is a prequel i would assume its less important?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think 99% of people probably skipped origins

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's what I did and I don't feel like I missed anything. It was developed by a separate studio and reviewed as a cut below

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

rarity's av has a spoon in her mouth but the ice cream hasn't been dug into yet, implying that she just likes the metallic taste of the spoon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

rarity's av has a spoon in her mouth but the ice cream hasn't been dug into yet, implying that she just likes the metallic taste of the spoon

this is the kind of hard-hitting exposé we need around here, the truth must be heard

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

The bite is taken out of the side facing away from you

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's actually a chocolate wafer

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

Waffleman_ posted:

And that solves the mystery of the pristine ice cream.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mix. posted:

someone in this thread might know: do i have to play arkham origins or can i skip straight from city to knight? i found out today i own asylum, city, and knight, but not origins, but since origins is a prequel i would assume its less important?

Story wise you're not missing anything but it's still a pretty decent game and only slightly worse than City

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

what if... there is no other side :spooky:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looks like Star Ocean the Divine Force is an actual good JRPG?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The 7th Guest posted:

what if... there is no other side :spooky:

Always remember to check your kid's ice cream this Halloween.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

External Organs posted:

Yes, a lot

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Mix. posted:

Origins is fun if you’re really chomping at the bit for more Batman, but it’s PS3/360 only on console, and the combat isn’t nearly as tightly tuned as the other three (probably because it wasn’t made by Rocksteady). Not the worst game but it is nearly 100% skippable. I think one of the bosses shows back up in Knight and that’s about it.

Also, Batman isn’t even Kevin Conroy.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

I said come in! posted:

Looks like Star Ocean the Divine Force is an actual good JRPG?

Sounds like you should play it and give us a trip report.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Frontier! My favorite

The main character choices include such highlights as "possibly kinda evil wizard," "shapeshifting robot with amnesia," and "lesbian unseelie fae/vampire queen"

Only "possibly"? :P

VideoGames posted:

Also I have no knowledge of them whatsoever other than their names have a capitalised G. I cannot even tell you which one Harrow told me I should play :shobon:

Ok so SaGa games can basically be described as very open-ended games of exploration. There's a plot and there are various plot milestones you'll reach eventually, but everything in between those milestones varies greatly depending on what characters you have in your party, how much progress you've made in the game, things like that. Picture if FF9 was made up of just the intro and ending areas of each disc and everything in between was all optional side content you're intended to bumble into, lots of side plotlines and quests that don't necessarily tie into the main game plot but are in and of themselves generally rewarding, offering up money (always useful to purchase equipment, items, and paying for travel fees), equipment, new party members/classes/skills/magic, etc. The enemies level up with you after so many battles and also after so many battles the game's world will "progress" a bit, locking out some content that you weren't around to mess with and unlocking new content. This all goes on until you eventually hit the point where the game says "ok now do one of the milestone things" and you win the game congrats you did it, now replay and see what the next experience is like.

Rarity posted:

Atelier (crafting)
Kingdom Hearts (story)
Super Robot Wars (mechs)
Star Ocean (bullshit)

IMO the categories you can split JRPGs into would be:
Main Quest
Side Quest
Numbers
Single Player Mechanics
Multiplayer Mechanics
Presentation/Aesthetic
Crafting
Worldbuilding/Lorecrafting
Exploration
Character writing
Music
Difficulty (Easiness)
Difficulty (Hardness)
Length (Shortest)
Length (Longest)
Replayability
Procedural Generation of content
Handcrafted content

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
That really does sound pretty intriguing. Having said that I really do just love recommendations and being surprised, so it was always going to be played this just confirms it :)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arrrthritis posted:

Sounds like you should play it and give us a trip report.

Yeah! I reached out to a community manager at Square-Enix about a content creator code first, and then will buy it if they don't get back to me today.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FirstAidKite posted:

IMO the categories you can split JRPGs into would be:
Main Quest
Side Quest
Numbers
Single Player Mechanics
Multiplayer Mechanics
Presentation/Aesthetic
Crafting
Worldbuilding/Lorecrafting
Exploration
Character writing
Music
Difficulty (Easiness)
Difficulty (Hardness)
Length (Shortest)
Length (Longest)
Replayability
Procedural Generation of content
Handcrafted content

Hobby-grade
Co-op Campaign
Genre-blended
Multimode
Competitive E-Sports
Meta-growth
Choice
Epic JRPG Heroes!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

External Organs posted:

I think there's a lot of crossover for sure. The latter has more concentrated and in-depth dialogue sequences compared to Citizen Sleeper's vignettes but they are playing in the same field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hmm... if I loved Disco Elysium should I try Citizen Sleeper?