Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i guess wotc's budget is now going into play mechanic videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt04GEKgH0w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuGkm0VnqXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXswRNIgkE

edit: oh wait the videos are from the stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

the titania meld

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

fatherboxx posted:

Prototype is uhh reverse kicker?

kicker-1

that teferi looks pretty good
lol i want that titania. looks fun

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Judgy Fucker posted:

Rules probably aren't out for this yet, but nevertheless: if you cast something for it's prototype cost, does the prototype cost become the card's casting cost? E.G., does Phrexian Fleshgorger become black if cast as a prototype, or does it stay colorless? Does it become MV3, or does it stay at 7? My reading is "stays seven and colorless," but am unsure.

3, black

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/feature/the-brothers-war-mechanics

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Good to know my instincts were wrong, but also makes the mechanic even more interesting. Thanks!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

Good to know my instincts were wrong, but also makes the mechanic even more interesting. Thanks!

Curious if they'll have a good way to track it for limited, in paper.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Lone Goat posted:

Let's hope for more stickers.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Ya prototype seems designed for digital and not paper and I don’t fully love that

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kashuno posted:

That’s be weird flavor but I guess it could work like you compacted something down
Before rapid prototyping became a thing often prototypes would be made from whatever was lying around. So sizes were whatever the last thing was.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Teferi seems strong for Standard, it's not that hard to make it pump out a growing 2/2 every turn and if that's not good it draws cards and gets loyalty fast. The biggest issue with it is Invoke Despair.

I'm interested in Gix for aggressive decks, 3/3 for 3 is by far the most efficient body we've had for a Coastal Piracy.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That new Teferi is loving bonkers, especially with Silver Scrying in the format.

Also, Prototype is just Student Cost from Strixhaven, but for creatures

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Why is the power and toughness on that artifact creature red? (This may have no significance at all)

Excited for the new cards and limited environment. I feel like they may be going overboard with a version of Urza and Mishra at uncommon, rare and mythic though. We get it!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

Why is the power and toughness on that artifact creature red? (This may have no significance at all)

Excited for the new cards and limited environment. I feel like they may be going overboard with a version of Urza and Mishra at uncommon, rare and mythic though. We get it!

They spoiled it when talking about the Urza that makes 1/1 copies so they were highlighting that it wouldn't be a 5/3 if it was a copy when someone took the screenshot.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Mike N Eich posted:

The card is normally a 3/1. It was pumped to a 5/3

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HootTheOwl posted:

Before rapid prototyping became a thing often prototypes would be made from whatever was lying around. So sizes were whatever the last thing was.

The article says that prototype is strictly smaller stats and lower cost.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

what Dynasty Warriors character does Hurkyl remind me of?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

The card is normally a 3/1. It was pumped to a 5/3

Whoops, same Urza pumps +2/+2

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The article says that prototype is strictly smaller stats and lower cost.

That's not what the word "may" means.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
idk if the art on hurkyl's recall is supposed to be her, but if so the creature version looks a lot whiter

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

fadam posted:

Sima Yi

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

just physically bend the card so that the prototype p/t is in the corner. simple

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

HootTheOwl posted:

That's not what the word "may" means.

"Each prototype card includes two sets of characteristics: First, a larger default mana cost, power, and toughness. They're where you'd expect them to be on the card. A second set of characteristics exists as part of the prototype ability. There, you'll find an alternate mana cost and an alternate power and toughness.

As you cast a prototype card, you choose which set of characteristics you're using. If the battle is ending and you're in need of a heavy hitter, use the default stats. If you're looking to establish a battlefield presence earlier in the game, the prototype stats may be perfect. Either way, the artifact creature will have the other abilities in its text box. Big or little, Phyrexian Fleshgorger has menace, lifelink, and a very scary ward ability."

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk if the art on hurkyl's recall is supposed to be her, but if so the creature version looks a lot whiter

:shrug:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/Aspiringspike/status/1585683771688353792?s=20&t=YVwZKwCNGHtMHW-iGldjTw

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Depends on what version you're looking at, 4th and 5th generally had darker tones for the entirety of the art, she's fairly pale in the original Antiquities version just has a lot of tattoos.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

The beautiful dark flowing locks in a ponytail of Jiang Wei and the ornate robes of Zhuge Liang.

That they are men while Hurkyl is a lady is not a conversation I am capable of having.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

lol

nice I guess

https://twitter.com/karsten_frank/status/1585647764297613313?s=20&t=M4iw1UNhETl2mApwOyi_iQ

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Oh dear.

They should have banned more than Meathook I think.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder to what extent pro/grinder Magic crashing affects stuff like this. Like, before teams would get together and try to break something like that. Come in on a funny angle. They'd spend weeks testing off-site and a lot of folks would come in on the best deck, but knowing that other teams would come in teched against it.

Now, is this event a big deal? Is there actual money involved with winning? Are they just playing the same arena games in their home office as they did yesterday, so they search up the data on the top standard deck and go, "eh good enough."

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Gix being more or less a mono black Edric is really cool imo. Not nearly as powerful but still neat. Gonna wreck house in standard for sure though.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Huxley posted:

I wonder to what extent pro/grinder Magic crashing affects stuff like this. Like, before teams would get together and try to break something like that. Come in on a funny angle. They'd spend weeks testing off-site and a lot of folks would come in on the best deck, but knowing that other teams would come in teched against it.

Now, is this event a big deal? Is there actual money involved with winning? Are they just playing the same arena games in their home office as they did yesterday, so they search up the data on the top standard deck and go, "eh good enough."

It's Worlds, the people in it care a lot even if the rest of us don't. However it's a tiny tournament with an often weird and insular meta.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Huxley posted:

It's the world championships, 32 players playing for a total prize pool of half a million American dollars, winner gets 100k and art on a magic card.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Why does Mishra look close to Tezzeret with each new art they put out for him lol?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

also the ability to upend the meta like that relies on sufficiently good tech/alternate strategies existing in the first place

it often does and we tend to remember those times, but sometimes the best deck is just the best deck and you're better off running it and focusing your deckbuilding efforts on optimizing for the mirror

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

It's Worlds, the people in it care a lot even if the rest of us don't. However it's a tiny tournament with an often weird and insular meta.

All of this is absolutely correct. Don't read too much into Worlds meta. Do expect people on reddit to be Real Mad about it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

also the ability to upend the meta like that relies on sufficiently good tech/alternate strategies existing in the first place

it often does and we tend to remember those times, but sometimes the best deck is just the best deck and you're better off running it and focusing your deckbuilding efforts on optimizing for the mirror

Correct. The smaller the cardpool the less likely there is a strategy that can overcome the 'just play the best cards in a midrange pile' deck. This is a five set standard so I'm not surprised at all. Still it sucks for coverage tho lol.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Explorer meta is more diverse, at least.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lone Goat posted:

The Explorer meta is more diverse, at least.

Surprised at only 1 rakdos midrange deck when that's the most played deck in pioneer

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Surprised at only 1 rakdos midrange deck when that's the most played deck in pioneer

I think the only meaningful card missing is Deadbore, too? Weird. Might have something to do with the lack of the G devotion deck. IDK what the actual numbers shake out to, but I really like that matchup as the RB player, so without being able to prey on a big part of the meta share maybe it makes more sense to just caveman a Parhelion to victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Cardpool is small enough and the colors deep enough that if you're not going 3 color you're hamstringing yourself.

Also there's nothing on the level of Kroxa at the moment for a finisher in Rakdos.