Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Zoom out. Literally just zoom the camera out a little for bossfights so that you have a wider field of view. Also lends a sense of scope and gravitas to the act of confronting a big fuckoff dragon or whatever

I'm pretty sure the Rykard fight actually does this when you lock onto him. It's such a good idea, I have no idea why it isn't implemented elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I kind of like the shunning grounds just for being the one area with the Bloodborne level design of having one grace and multiple shortcuts back to it.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
After beating my head against Melania solo for ages I tried going in naked and fast roll it’s so much smoother goddam. Night and day poo poo. All of a sudden I’m dodging most of it and only really get screwed when I super gently caress up positioning on the waterfowl and rotten clones. Gonna get her next session once I’ve worked out the dodges for the clones ‘cos they still gently caress me up.

Seriously, go light weight and just use the great shield talisman, she doesn’t hit super hard.

Edit: and crab!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
How much vigor did you have because she routinely one shot my mage

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm farming the mohgwyn checkpoint for runes with his spear. are the three best talisman's for damage with bloodborn ritual shard of alexander + ritual sword + fire scorpion charm?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

L.H.O.O.Q. posted:

Gonna get her next session once I’ve worked out the dodges for the clones ‘cos they still gently caress me up.

The clones move with a consistent rhythm, so once you get on their beat they should be easy to dodge, but Malenia will strike after an extra beat to try and catch anyone who rolls early.

actionjackson posted:

i'm farming the mohgwyn checkpoint for runes with his spear. are the three best talisman's for damage with bloodborn ritual shard of alexander + ritual sword + fire scorpion charm?

It's faster to just get a bow and shoot the bird. It's so much for so little. But otherwise, yeah, there's not much more you can do to up your damage other than buffs. Flame, grant me strength and Golden Vow. Since it causes bleed you could also try sneaking in Varre's mask, or the Lord of blood exultation.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 27, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

what bird?

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

https://youtu.be/Gqgy1FB7rD0

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks, at the end of the video he switches back to what I'm doing for some reason

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
To be fair, the suicide chicken is really, really boring. Even if it is effective. It's boring in ways that going out and actively participating in the rune farming aren't.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

ZeusCannon posted:

Every build should have 60+ vigor unless you specifically want to make things harder for yourself if you're doing a challenge run or similar. 60 vigor is 1900 base HP which is enough to survive at least 2-3 hits of almost every attack in the game. Plus you can use the Dragoncrest Greatshield talisman (in a chest right before the lift down to Malenia's room) which reduces the damage of almost all of Malenia's attacks by 20%. Vigor is overwhelmingly the most useful stat once you've met the requirements for the equipment/spells you're using.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I think it’s pretty boring that they all but force 60 vigor on everyone, tbh

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
You can kind of get away with 55 vigor or so, if you really want to squeeze out a few points in other things. And for PvE, hitting that first soft cap of 40 vigor is what is mandatory, you can maybe get away with say 47 vigor (just enough to be healed from redlined with 2 estus).

But considering the damage output and TTK of most attacks in Elden Ring (even below the offensive attribute softcaps), getting hitting the hardcap of 60 vigor just makes sense. It's not some kind of mandatory mechanic (unlike say learning how to press the roll button), it's just a natural stability point that any competent player will take advantage of. Complaining about having to invest in survivability stats just means you lack discipline in allocating your offensive and utility stats. Besides, the adjustment of stamina consumption in Elden Ring means it's no longer necessary to pump your points into Endurance either.

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:

ZeusCannon posted:

55 vigour.

The greatshield talisman and eating crabs make a massive massive difference in survivability that fight. First phase she’s less aggressive so you can always sprint far away and chomp on crab.

I was learning the fight with medium roll so I got pretty good at dodging a lot of her attacks but would still get tagged when being too aggressive trying to get her poise broken. The light roll is so so much better than armour in that fight. All of a sudden it feels like I’m playing at the same speed she is rather than wading in treacle.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Yeah, the Shunning Grounds were far from my favorite spot in the game. Between the omnipresent basilisks, the Omens, the cramped tunnels, and finishing it all off with the spot that killed me more than any other in my entire first playthrough of the game... the pit you have to carefully platform down. I never actually did get down successfully and eventually just looked up what was down there. Then decided I was fine without seeing that ending or the back way into Deeproot Depths.

I thought you could just drop down to the Frenzied Flame? You only have to platform if you want unendurable frenzy(?) or whatever incant is down there.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Complaining about having to invest in survivability stats just means you lack discipline in allocating your offensive and utility stats. Besides, the adjustment of stamina consumption in Elden Ring means it's no longer necessary to pump your points into Endurance either.

Imho hitting softcaps is supposed to be the series encouraging you to invest into other stats unless you have nothing left to dump into, it’s kinda lame and unfun to invest into VIT after the game gives you half as much HP per level if it comes at the expense of more spell charges or different kinds of spells, or heck the Fashion Souls stat since that’s what endurance is now.

Like, yeah investing into sorceries/incantations is a deliberate choice to be less effective at facetanking/sometimes melee damage but even then Elden Ring hands out so many tools that if a melee focus’s build hits their VIT softcap they should feel free to invest into that at least a little, and facetanking investment beyond that should just be a dedicated choice to embrace the unga bunga lifestyle at the expense of books or scrolls.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

don't overlook how good the physical and elemental resist talismans are in pve. dragoncrest greatshield is massive for surviving stuff like getting winged a few times dodging waterfowl dance.

conversely also don't overlook how much more damage you're taking from soreseal or the elemental damage buff talismans if you use them. I got my first character in a while that never used them through the game and it felt easier and more survivable at every single point of the game even early, even accounting for how my own skill was improving.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 27, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it weird that I usually cap out NG at 50 Vigor? 60's definitely nice but maybe I'm trying to make my builds too versatile because I usually really want those 10 points elsewhere. Hell on my Int build the reason I don't have 60 Vigor is that I want enough Endurance to be able to wear at least some fashion while also holding the DMGS.

Whenever I level above 150, 60 Vigor will probably be the first thing I get, though. (Or if I get into endgame PvP dueling I guess.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On another topic, something I was thinking about yesterday: if you could get the team to change one thing for a hypothetical Elden Ring 2, what would that be? For my part I'm thinking in terms of like... let's assume the bones of the game are going to be largely the same, so feedback like "completely redo the action systems" or whatever wouldn't be helpful.

I think mine would be: "not every dungeon needs a boss." I think a lot of the complaints about repetitive dungeons might have been avoided if there weren't also so many boss repeats in them. If players didn't know if there'd be a boss at all in a given dungeon, and if some (or even many) dungeons had some sort of non-boss capstone challenge at the end, it would've created more variety by removing something. Using an example from the game as it currently is, the Gelmir Hero's Grave probably didn't need a boss because the part where you have to drop on top of a chariot and ride it across the lava was already a great setpiece to end the dungeon on. Same goes for the hero's graves where you solve a small puzzle to destroy the chariots.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Elden Ring is the kind of game you can only truly make once, and even an Elden Ring 2 will fall into this video, I think:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m328XJ1eG84

But I would settle for NPC quests being followable without the community or a wiki. I actually managed to follow Hyetta's stuff organically throughout Liurnia but I bet most people would've never found her in all the required places to finish that off.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

bewilderment posted:

But I would settle for NPC quests being followable without the community or a wiki. I actually managed to follow Hyetta's stuff organically throughout Liurnia but I bet most people would've never found her in all the required places to finish that off.

one mechanic that i'd like to see added is a morrowind style journal where the quest related events that your character experiences in game are written down and can sorted by subject.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yeah ultimately I agree that it's probably time for something new, don't get me wrong. I think it's relatively inevitable that FromSoft will make another big open world game one day, though whether it'll carry on the Souls gameplay lineage or not is an open question, and it'd be cool to see a different gameplay approach. (Knowing that is why I included the "totally redo systems" thing in my initial question--I know many of us would like to see a new approach next so I wanted to know what else people would suggest.)

Though if I had one point to make about that video (I have only skimmed it so maybe he addresses this), it's that Dark Souls 3 also felt like the end, quite a bit more explicitly, in fact. It's why I was a little surprised when Elden Ring's gameplay was revealed and so much had been carried over from Souls. I was primed to expect something totally new because DS3 felt so emphatically conclusive. So I'm not so sure Elden Ring is the end of anything, or the beginning of anything, either. It feels like another link in the chain.

turn off the TV posted:

one mechanic that i'd like to see added is a morrowind style journal where the quest related events that your character experiences in game are written down and can sorted by subject.

Yeah this would be neat. I was thinking about this back when people were fighting about quest logs back before the game came out/shortly after launch. A journal that just catalogues stuff you've found and people you've met would go a long way without just solving every quest for you and it'd be a nice addition.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Dyz posted:

I thought you could just drop down to the Frenzied Flame? You only have to platform if you want unendurable frenzy(?) or whatever incant is down there.

I never had any luck with the drops. In my dozens of tries to get down there, I cratered on the floor for most of them. But none of the drops were below 20 meters, so all of them were fatal. I'd almost swear there was a kill plane in that pit if I didn't know better. Precarious platforming has never been something the series is good at, though. And like I said, I wasn't ultimately interested in what's down there.

That's actually something I'd have them change for a theoretical Elden Ring 2 - make the Silvercat equivalent not completely worthless. Have it increase the safe drop height so it becomes 25 meters.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Elden Ring felt more like a new beginning that an end, I don't think we've seen the last of the fundamental Souls combat by any stretch

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s not mandatory to have 60 vigor come on

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

No Dignity posted:

Elden Ring felt more like a new beginning that an end, I don't think we've seen the last of the fundamental Souls combat by any stretch

Yeah, it’s clear that From wants to experiment with their formula and have twists on the fundamental stuff with Sekiro/BB, but it feels like Dark Souls III was them saying goodbye to Lordran, not so much the fundamental gameplay of Dark Souls.

…I wouldn’t really mind an Elden Ring 2 in the same vein of DS3, like having the setting be utterly hosed by the Elden Ring having been reforged by multiple Tarnished and the world is just regions of moonfrost/insane frenzy fire/omen land/and giga scarlet rot: rot harder.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

bewilderment posted:

I get that they want to preserve accidentally stumbling into an NPC from earlier, or even to reward the player if they figured out they would be at a particular place, so just telling players where all of the NPCs are at all times would be too much. But they could add their locations to the map at certain breakpoints in the game when you are unlikely to casually go back to where they are again. Like, if I'm walking around the mountaintops of the giants, just show me where Hyetta is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd still prefer a new setting next though I recognize if they do make a follow-up to Elden Ring it's pretty likely to also follow up on the setting. I think the Souls games are at their most interesting and feel the most "alive" when they're in totally new settings each time. As much as I like DS2 and 3 they just don't have the spark DS1 does, at least for me.

Cowcaster posted:

I'd agree that 60 Vigor isn't mandatory, but I would say that by endgame, at least 50 Vigor is strongly recommended. Maybe throw on the Crimson Amber Medallion +2 if you can spare a talisman slot, it can't hurt.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 27, 2022

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah that got me all worried. My current NG+ level 160 sorcerer god only has 36 VIG.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

fuckpot posted:

Yeah that got me all worried. My current NG+ level 160 sorcerer god only has 36 VIG.

It is not necessary to have 60 vigor, but, you probably should have more than 36

like, at least go farm albinaurics until you hit the 40 softcap

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My real take on Vigor is this:

If you're good enough at the game (or have a strong enough build, or both) that you can get away with running relatively low amounts of Vigor, you're probably also not on the internet asking about why bosses one-shot you or how much Vigor you should invest in. If you're the kind of player who doesn't already know know how much Vigor you need, you probably need 50+.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I think I am pretty bad so I'll definitely be needing more VIG. Been lulled into a false sense of security during my romping of all the early NG+ enemies.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Think I finished the game at 50-55 vigor but I also had a rune arc up at all times, never took off the dragon shield talisman and got in the habit of using a crab before any boss fight. this all together got the damage of endgame bosses to feel reasonable so I imagine not doing any 2 of these would feel oppressive.

Harrow posted:

On another topic, something I was thinking about yesterday: if you could get the team to change one thing for a hypothetical Elden Ring 2, what would that be? For my part I'm thinking in terms of like... let's assume the bones of the game are going to be largely the same, so feedback like "completely redo the action systems" or whatever wouldn't be helpful.

I think mine would be: "not every dungeon needs a boss." I think a lot of the complaints about repetitive dungeons might have been avoided if there weren't also so many boss repeats in them. If players didn't know if there'd be a boss at all in a given dungeon, and if some (or even many) dungeons had some sort of non-boss capstone challenge at the end, it would've created more variety by removing something. Using an example from the game as it currently is, the Gelmir Hero's Grave probably didn't need a boss because the part where you have to drop on top of a chariot and ride it across the lava was already a great setpiece to end the dungeon on. Same goes for the hero's graves where you solve a small puzzle to destroy the chariots.

Fix the godawful input buffering, that’s my one thing

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 27, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the one thing I really like about all the souls games and this is that it's not like pretty much every other game which is dominated by constant capitalism/consumerism in the form of microtransactions. It doesn't push anything on you at all. I think there are very few "major" titles like this anymore.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

My real take on Vigor is this:

If you're good enough at the game (or have a strong enough build, or both) that you can get away with running relatively low amounts of Vigor, you're probably also not on the internet asking about why bosses one-shot you or how much Vigor you should invest in. If you're the kind of player who doesn't already know know how much Vigor you need, you probably need 50+.

That's a good take. I'm not a great player at avoiding all kinds of damage so I always go for 50+ (60 on NG+ of course).

ReverendDre
Apr 1, 2006
TheOneAndOnly

DoubleNegative posted:

To be fair, the suicide chicken is really, really boring. Even if it is effective. It's boring in ways that going out and actively participating in the rune farming aren't.

I did the chunk farm in Bloodborne once for 30min or so and felt so dumb at the end. Farming isn’t worth it unless you really want something specific from a random drop.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Fix the godawful input buffering, that’s my one thing

Never gonna happen.

If they did an Elden Ring 2 I'd like it to be maybe 2/3 the size and not do the catacombs and instead do a few more proper dungeons. Also lean more towards Sekiro-style combat for melee players. I did love the addition of jump attacks and posture breaking but deflections would be a great addition.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I wouldn't say 60 Vigor is a requirement, but after having done a lot of co-op, the amount of people who completely neglect the Vigor stat, even in builds where it would make sense for them to have a lot of it, is honestly astonishing. Like, if your character, a GigaChad in full plate armor, is getting one shot by an attack that doesn't even take half the health off of my character, a twink with no shirt on, you are doing something very wrong and should probably respec.

I don't know why there's this weird bias against survivability. Your weapon upgrade level is generally way more important to your DPS than your damage stats, and surviving longer in fights means you see more of the boss's moveset and get a feel for the fight faster. Glass cannons can be fun and all, but a regular old durable iron cannon will shoot just fine.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A larger health pool just isn't as exciting as being able to use some cool new thing. It also seems like a lot of people are expecting the game to be really difficult, so when they die in one hit it doesn't set off an alarm that their stats are distributed poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

No Dignity posted:

Elden Ring felt more like a new beginning that an end

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.