Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Time limits can be good and the best Pikmin game was the first one.

Anno posted:

If you’re okay with the very tight focus of the game it’s one of the best 4x’s in a minute. There’s a too-infrequently-posted-in thread with some helpful peeps.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920273
Alright, I'll have a look-see, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Croccers posted:

Gamers™ hate time limits and will burn a game to the ground over them.

When you think about it every Steam game has a two hour time limit to be good.

Shitposting aside, I've loved every game with a time limit that I've played, so I really don't get that.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Way of the Samurai and Dead Rising as the GOAT time-limit games. But I think they work so well because they are also very compact titles where you are intended to restart without losing certain aspects of progress.

I want a new Way of the Samurai.....

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

ZearothK posted:

When you think about it every Steam game has a two hour time limit to be good.

Shitposting aside, I've loved every game with a time limit that I've played, so I really don't get that.

That's just wisdom, mate. Event the iD software guys said that the most polished maps for DOOM where in the first episode.

edit: people poo poo on Steam for being stagnant and Valve sitting on its laurels, fair nuff, but imo that 2hour/2week refund policy was the biggest goddamn shift in the digital marketplace in recent memory.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 27, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Serephina posted:

edit: people poo poo on Steam for being stagnant and Valve sitting on its laurels, fair nuff, but imo that 2hour/2week refund policy was the biggest goddamn shift in the digital marketplace in recent memory.

Regulators forced them to have some kind of return/refund capacity, and they soon found that with marginal costs so low it made more sense to have a no-questions-asked return policy than to employ someone to ask questions.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

iGestalt posted:

Way of the Samurai and Dead Rising as the GOAT time-limit games. But I think they work so well because they are also very compact titles where you are intended to restart without losing certain aspects of progress.

WoS is super loving cool and i can't believe more games haven't ripped it off, but it's not really time limited in the way that breaks gamer brains, it's just a series of branching event trees.

something like xcom 2 really got everyone's goat, where you had to make sub-optimal decisions because of the turn limits in the missions. everyone went nuts because the game introduced some friction to make it more interesting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Foul Fowl posted:

WoS is super loving cool and i can't believe more games haven't ripped it off, but it's not really time limited in the way that breaks gamer brains, it's just a series of branching event trees.

something like xcom 2 really got everyone's goat, where you had to make sub-optimal decisions because of the turn limits in the missions. everyone went nuts because the game introduced some friction to make it more interesting.

And goddamn, it was so great that it completely obsoleted XCOM 1 for me. I really don't miss overwatch crawl.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sailor Dave posted:

For anyone who missed the big Evolve (that Turtle Rock 4v1 monster game) resurgence that happened a few months ago, the servers for Stage 2 were partially restored allowing people to play online again, but only for people that still had the game in their library.

2K, the publisher, has just responded just a few days ago and is giving away an absolute shitload of keys that can be redeemed on steam, 4 keys per person, on the Evolve Reunited 2.0 community discord (https://discord.gg/Gt2X4arMQ5, #freekeys channel) The hope is that they relist the game completely, but people think they're gauging interest first before they commit to putting money in.

They made all of the characters and perks available for free when they brought the servers back (except for some unbalanced perks), so the game and all its content is completely open and free to play for everyone now, just not listed on the steam store proper yet. There's already a good amount of people playing, so it's probably worth getting in on it now.

Also quoting this for a new page, 'cos Evolve is cool. At least I enjoyed it way more than Dead by Daylight, which is the only other game I've played in the genre.

now someone bring back Nosgoth, cowards

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Brutal Orchestra is on sale for another few days and it just got a second big update, so here are some words on it because I love it.

It's a roguelite focused on turn-based RPG combat set in a demented afterlife full of weirdos, many of them ripped straight from The Garden of Earthly Delights and other works of art. It all has a very surreal vibe that sees you fighting corpse-dwelling fishes and flesh instruments with a party of sentient lung cavities, headless corpses, and a statue. Not even a living statue, literally just... a statue. And the mechanics are just as varied as the aesthetics; every enemy fights in their own way and every party member has a unique niche. Even all the different healers feel completely distinct from one another.

The combat is phenomenal. It's some of the best turn-based combat I've ever seen; intuitive and boundlessly inventive. Enemy actions are visible ahead of time à la Slay the Spire, and positioning yourself to give out hits without taking any is of vital importance. Having a full party of 5 characters will give you a lot of power, but you'll no longer have an empty space on the field to use for dodging attacks, so someone will always have to take the blow. Another major mechanic is the pigment system, the game's unique take on mana. Every character and enemy has a specific color of health, and when damaged they'll drop some pigment of that color. All abilities need some combination of colors to use, so if a character requires red you could first attack with a character that uses yellow, getting the drops of red you need. Alternately, you can forcibly use an ability with unmatching pigment at the cost of some health, a trade-off that is often the best move. On top of all that, if you ever get too much pigment, it'll start to overflow and deal damage to your whole party, and that's what makes the system get really interesting. You can use expensive abilities to balance out cheaper ones that gain more pigment than they spend; you can go all out and finish a fight in one turn before your overflowing pigment damages you; you can come across enemies that vomit out pigment to try and drown you in too much of a good thing. It's an amazing system and I've never seen anything quite like it.

This game is really something special and it deserves a lot more attention. I imagine the grimy aesthetic can put some people off but trust me, it grows on you. Also the lead developer just came out as trans and it's funny to compare/contrast this grody-rear end game to Celeste in the small yet diverse "indie dev cracks their egg after developing their game" genre.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 27, 2022

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

iGestalt posted:

They eased off and neutered the time-limits in Dead Rising every successive game until they outright removed it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

Brutal Orchestra is on sale for another few days and it just got a second big update, so here are some words on it because I love it.

It's a roguelite focused on turn-based RPG combat set in a demented afterlife full of weirdos, many of them ripped straight from The Garden of Earthly Delights and other works of art. It all has a very surreal vibe that sees you fighting corpse-dwelling fishes and flesh instruments with a party of sentient lung cavities, headless corpses, and a statue. Not even a living statue, literally just... a statue. And the mechanics are just as varied as the aesthetics; every enemy fights in their own way and every party member has a unique niche. Even all the different healers feel completely distinct from one another.

The combat is phenomenal. It's some of the best turn-based combat I've ever seen; intuitive and boundlessly inventive. Enemy actions are visible ahead of time à la Slay the Spire, and positioning yourself to give out hits without taking any is of vital importance. Having a full party of 5 characters will give you a lot of power, but you'll no longer have an empty space on the field to use for dodging attacks, so someone will always have to take the blow. Another major mechanic is the pigment system, the game's unique take on mana. Every character and enemy has a specific color of health, and when damaged they'll drop some pigment of that color. All abilities need some combination of colors to use, so if a character requires red you could first attack with a character that uses yellow, getting the drops of red you need. Alternately, you can forcibly use an ability with unmatching pigment at the cost of some health, a trade-off that is often the best move. On top of all that, if you ever get too much pigment, it'll start to overflow and deal damage to your whole party, and that's what makes the system get really interesting. You can use expensive abilities to balance out cheaper ones that gain more pigment than they spend; you can go all out and finish a fight in one turn before your overflowing pigment damages you; you can come across enemies that vomit out pigment to try and drown you in too much of a good thing. It's an amazing system and I've never seen anything quite like it.

This game is really something special and it deserves a lot more attention. I imagine the grimy aesthetic can put some people off but trust me, it grows on you. Also the lead developer just came out as trans and it's funny to compare/contrast this grody-rear end game to Celeste in the small yet diverse "indie dev cracks their egg after developing their game" genre.

Every fight can quickly escalate into a nightmare situation, but you also have so many options in terms of item and ability synergy. Not enough pigments, too many pigments, want to slap enemies to death, there's an item to make your ideas come true and make you suffer when it accidentally breaks....

I've been obsessed with this game since launch and the Dev has done some great QoL updates and tweaks, as well as art streams. The latest update includes splash art for the bosses that really add to the experience. So go forth and Slap God!

Also, the Soundtrack is amazing and ties in perfectly to everything in the world. Fighting some fish, the music is bubbly and playful, fighting some sex crazed primative humanoids, tribal drums, fighting a boss with a gun who is legally distinct from a German leader, trumpets and techno.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 27, 2022

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ZearothK posted:

Also quoting this for a new page, 'cos Evolve is cool. At least I enjoyed it way more than Dead by Daylight, which is the only other game I've played in the genre.

now someone bring back Nosgoth, cowards

Dude, yes. I really don't know why that game failed, it had some really fun movement abilities and the combat flow was a hoot.

I'd also have liked Evolve more if playing as anything but the monsters were any fun, it really sucks to play a hunter cause you're just attacking a giant bullet sponge til it has to run away and heal ala Monster Hunter but without any of the reward.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I just bought a Steam Deck so I can play Tactics Ogre Reborn at work

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Is the new steam app absolutely dogshit for anyone else since the update? I just want to buy games, why is this so bad.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

DrWrestling69 posted:

Is the new steam app absolutely dogshit for anyone else since the update? I just want to buy games, why is this so bad.

Yep it's terrible. Also extra fun that I now have another steam app specifically for chat that is equally as dogshit.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
It's even better that if I try and use the website it now just opens the app. Thanks steam. Real useful.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

DrWrestling69 posted:

I've scarcely used the actual steam app, but the new chat app is atrocious.

Crashes when sending messages often. Fails to embed images, and if you tap on an image someone sends you can't even zoom in on it. If you go to the Notification Settings they have some little footer text that says "We'll try not to send you notifications if you're using Steam somewhere else" but they don't seem to be trying too hard because every single time I get messaged on Steam while actively on my desktop I get a notification on my phone too.

It's kinda embarassing how much money Valve has and how much they half rear end so many things lol.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i always wonder how big valves warchest is at this point, being a private company they don't have to disclose it

the optics of scraping 30% from starving indie devs would be bad if we knew they were sitting on 11 figures so best to keep it ambiguous

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 27, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

repiv posted:

i always wonder how big valves warchest is at this point, being a private company they don't have to disclose it

the optics of scraping 30% from starving indie devs would be bad if we knew they were sitting on 11 figures

I mean GabeN owns a racing team so they gotta be fuckin rich. As the saying goes, "How do you make a small fortune in racing? Start with a large one". Cursory search of his net worth puts him around $4B gaddamn.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Valve has blown what must have been hundreds of millions trying to break into the hardware market for years. We don’t need to know an exact figure.

All those knives ain’t cheap either.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

that sounds really cool. has anybody tried it on the Deck?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Valve has blown what must have been hundreds of millions trying to break into the hardware market for years. We don’t need to know an exact figure.

All those knives ain’t cheap either.

Yea I imagine the R&D for those steam machines, controllers, and then VR wasn't cheap either.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DrWrestling69 posted:

It runs like absolute poo poo on my phone

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Somerville, the sci-fi story-adventure game from the former co-founder of Playdead (INSIDE, Limbo), releases Nov 15th on Steam and Gamepass, same day as Pentiment.

It seems like primarily it's a narrative game first and isn't so much about puzzles or platforming like INSIDE and Limbo were.

A couple more release dates:

- Lunistice on Nov 10th
- Paper Trail set for Summer 2023

Because the E3 season never ends now, there's a MiX event today and Day of the Devs next week. I won't be doing the full page recaps like I did in the summer, I'll just take note of any release date announcements and new game reveals.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 27, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

turn on your monitor

and use it to navigate to the steam desktop app, the mobile app is poo poo

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

+1 for the Case of the Golden Idol.

If you're looking for your Obra Dinn fix, here's the place.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Deakul posted:

Dude, yes. I really don't know why that game failed, it had some really fun movement abilities and the combat flow was a hoot.

It failed because someone somewhere said "Legacy of Kain MOBA" when the beta sign-ups opened and, even though it wasn't true, probably 90% of its potential playerbase put a mental block on it.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Mescal posted:

that sounds really cool. has anybody tried it on the Deck?

It doesn't have console controls (yet), so for now it's smooth mouse controls / touchpads / touchscreen.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Watching some Gotham Knights gameplay and it's laughable how bad its flippy, floppy combat looks compared to the Arkham games' deliberate, weighty blows.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

PowerBeard posted:

It doesn't have console controls (yet), so for now it's smooth mouse controls / touchpads / touchscreen.

you've tried it then? how tiny are the things you need to click on? how's it feel? some mousekey games feel great with custom controls, some are not worth dealing with.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new Big Picture Mode is available for public testing. It's basically the Steam Deck UI, but on your computer and/or television.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

your clock's wrong it's only 2:08 pm

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cowcaster posted:

your clock's wrong it's only 2:08 pm

It's 5:52 somewhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do...people use big picture mode?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

quote:

✨In our Build your own Horror Triple Pack bundle, you'll be able to pick 3 games for $2.99 from a fantastic collection of horror games! These include titles like STASIS and The Final Station! Check out the rest of the options right here: https://fant.cl/HorrorTFB

Price: $2.99 for three games!

Games:
Nomad Survival
Let Them Come
JANITOR BLEEDS
STASIS
GARAGE: Bad Trip
The Final Station
Savage Halloween
Tesla vs Lovecraft
The Cat Lady
Subway Midnight
The Music Machine
DISTRAINT 1 & 2 Double Pack
Monstrum
The Innsmouth Case
Deadlight
Intruders: Hide and Seek

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
My PC is hooked up to a TV, Big Picture mods is great.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

zoux posted:

A couple of times accidentally on my steam deck while fiddling around in desktop mode, funnily enough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I use it to get annoyed that my screen is freezing for a few seconds before I notice that I accidentally switched it on.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

zoux posted:

Ever since i figured out my smart tv has steam link as an app, yes. It's insanely cool that I can hardwire my pc to my router/router to my smart tv and play steam like it's a console built into my tv

not on pc on its own though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy poo poo that's a thing? Yeah I gotta set my TV up for that when I start playing p5r this weekend.