Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Enos Cabell posted:

Barbarian was pretty good, with some decent misdirects. There are a handful of marginal jump scares, but only one that really comes out of nowhere (and that one is funny and kinda telegraphed too).

Biggest laugh for me was when Justin Long pulled out the tape measure

That and the "Oh my god a secret, scary room!" cut to googling "Can you claim underground rooms as extra square footage sold the movie for me, I was laughing so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Deadite posted:

Is AMC+ the worst of the streaming services? I've never had so many problems trying to watch stuff with other apps. AMC+ can't seem to keep track of where I am in a series and in some instances the episodes available are different if I'm using the app or accessing it through the browser. Just terribly designed top to bottom.

It doesn't seem any worse than the Apple or Paramount apps. I'm currently watching Interview with a Vampire on it, and I'm enjoyed that. And I watched all of the final season of Kevin can gently caress Himself.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Somewhat book barn, but I just finished the Station Eleven book, and it's crazy how much better the TV show is than the book. Like the book is mostly a bunch of barely-connected individual stories, and the show takes those characters and ties them together masterfully. The show is getting another watch from me, it's fantastic.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Papercut posted:

Somewhat book barn, but I just finished the Station Eleven book, and it's crazy how much better the TV show is than the book. Like the book is mostly a bunch of barely-connected individual stories, and the show takes those characters and ties them together masterfully. The show is getting another watch from me, it's fantastic.

I loved the book and they're different enough to be separate enjoyable experiences, but I would say this is the one show I've watched where literally every change from the book made total sense and was the right change for a show. Just so well executed.

Patrick Sommerville was on ScriptNotes for an episode talking about Station Eleven and I was *hoping* he'd talk about the changes he made and how he got to them, but sadly it was mostly just about the technical process behind getting the deal and the production.

On a separate tangentially related note, Patrick Sommerville and Lindeloff (as well as others) are both involved in the writing of a new Star Wars. Interested to see how that turns out.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BonoMan posted:

I loved the book and they're different enough to be separate enjoyable experiences, but I would say this is the one show I've watched where literally every change from the book made total sense and was the right change for a show. Just so well executed.

Oh yeah I actually liked the book and would recommend it, but having watched the show first I found myself waiting for everything to be tied together like they did on the show and just being surprised that it never really did. Both are good in their own right, but I'm usually a "book is way better than the show/movie" person, so this was an interesting change for me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Papercut posted:

Oh yeah I actually liked the book and would recommend it, but having watched the show first I found myself waiting for everything to be tied together like they did on the show and just being surprised that it never really did. Both are good in their own right, but I'm usually a "book is way better than the show/movie" person, so this was an interesting change for me.

Yeah now that I mention it, I probably would have a hard time recommending the book AFTER you've seen the show. If you haven't seen either, start with the book... if you've seen the show... skip the book.

I will say the one thing I *didn't* like about the book that got a show change was the whole cult leader stuff in the book felt too generic. He was just a stereotypical sex pest cult guy and it just felt boilerplate. The show gave his whole arc so much more meaning.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Yeah now that I mention it, I probably would have a hard time recommending the book AFTER you've seen the show. If you haven't seen either, start with the book... if you've seen the show... skip the book.

I will say the one thing I *didn't* like about the book that got a show change was the whole cult leader stuff in the book felt too generic. He was just a stereotypical sex pest cult guy and it just felt boilerplate. The show gave his whole arc so much more meaning.

Yeah in the book he was just a standard Christian false prophet. The show changing his religious text from the New Testament to the Station Eleven comic was legit genius.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

is anyone caught up with avenue 5? I'm really confused. it seems like some of the characters are able to come and go freely between earth and the ship. did they explain that or..?

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

is anyone caught up with avenue 5? I'm really confused. it seems like some of the characters are able to come and go freely between earth and the ship. did they explain that or..?

2 characters Iris and the original mission control lady whose name I forget basically swapped places between earth and the ship at the end of last season, I'm guessing that's where you're confused?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hirsute posted:

2 characters Iris and the original mission control lady whose name I forget basically swapped places between earth and the ship at the end of last season, I'm guessing that's where you're confused?

yeah the iris thing.. she went back to earth and helped on the tv show, now shes back on the ship again

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: Avenue 5 the problem isn't the travel itself, so much as it's the money and resources involved. Iris stole the shuttle in the most recent episode, she was nooot meant to take that thing.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’m watching peripheral, it’s already really stupid but kinda fun

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I forgot all about 1899 but it comes out next month! Dark is one of the best things on Netflix so very excited for this (although the trailer is... a little too much)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7OUQ9U2qIw

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Emily the Criminal is on Prime and it's great. One of my favorite movies of the year. Aubrey Plaza really knows how to pick roles.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Well, Barbarian was hosed. Thanks, guys

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Avenue 5 has no rules. Stuff just happens seemingly at random, much like the dialogue. I think it'd be funnier if they just selected for the better jokes rather than having every character shoot for a quirky joke line every time they open their mouth.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

Papercut posted:

Yeah in the book he was just a standard Christian false prophet. The show changing his religious text from the New Testament to the Station Eleven comic was legit genius.

I think the show giving him a nicer denouement really doesn't play well though with him still having stolen children and indoctrinated them into a weird cult

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Well, Barbarian was hosed. Thanks, guys

:getin:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My wife is watching something called The School of Good and Evil on Netflix, which feels like a YA novel adaptation but with a hell of stacked cast. I thought Netflix was hemorrhaging money, how are all of these people in the same movie?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
A lot of the faculty roles are leads in other Netflix productions. Charlize Theron headlines the Old Guard films. Michelle Yeoh has that upcoming Witches Spin off. If an actor stars in one Netflix thing it seems like they're contractually obligated to do bit parts in others.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Netflix is not really hemorrhaging money. Stock price is not equal to revenues or profit, and even then those aren’t always correlated to how much they spend on new content. Their sub growth is down and their budget will probably plateau for a few years but 18 billion/year will get you a few Charlize Therons no problem.

Starks fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 27, 2022

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m watching peripheral, it’s already really stupid but kinda fun

That was my feeling about the book: it's nonsensical but a great read. It got away with just handwaving an ending. Dunno if the TV show can do that

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Starks posted:

Netflix is not really hemorrhaging money. Stock price is not equal to revenues or profit, and even then those aren’t always correlated to how much they spend on new content. Their sub growth is down and their budget will probably plateau for a few years but 18 billion/year will get you a few Charlize Therons no problem.

Yeah, the NETFLIX IS DYING headlines had more to do clickbait and needing something to write about, than actual business realities. Netflix is doing fine, they're just not making as much money as before.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
Barbarian was alright. Nothing special but nothing bad. There's another Airbnb horror movie I recently watched called The Rental that stars Dan Stevens, Alison Brie, and the dude from The Bear that I enjoyed way more.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Rollos posted:

Barbarian was alright. Nothing special but nothing bad. There's another Airbnb horror movie I recently watched called The Rental that stars Dan Stevens, Alison Brie, and the dude from The Bear that I enjoyed way more.

I liked them both quite a bit.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Escape from Pretoria on Hulu was pretty good. I thought it was just going to be a little resume filler for Daniel Radcliffe, but it was a cool prison break movie that was occasionally shot like it was from the 70s with all the split focus shots and even a quick zoom.

Pig was excellent, it might be a fun double feature with the pilot episode of The Bear. I think I like these dramatic fine dining stories, are there other good ones? Nicholas Cage is a great actor and must be one of the harder working actors today. He's also great in

Willy's Wonderland, the horror film we all instantly imagined the first time we walked into a Chuck E. Cheese. Nicholas Cage's character is hired on as a janitor at a defunct party restaurant, but has never played the game Control so he doesn't know "janitor" means "fight evil."

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 27, 2022

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

“I’m gonna feast on your face!”

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Inspector Hound posted:

Pig was excellent, it might be a fun double feature with the pilot episode of The Bear. I think I like these dramatic fine dining stories, are there other good ones?
Boiling Point, although I dunno if it's streaming anywhere.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Burnt is kind of like if Joel McHale’s character from The Bear was the protagonist. Although I didn’t like the Bear much so ymmv.

Edit: maybe that's too much of an attempt to be pithy to be helpful. It has the gritty insider feel of fine dining kitchens that the Bear has, but without the charm of the supporting characters.

Starks fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 28, 2022

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Barbarian had some real tonal whiplash in like 3 spots. The first 35 min appear to be a sharp modern thriller, then it segues into something a tad campier, and then it goes for trying to keep the camp, but monologuing to the camera about what it’s trying to say. Still pretty great though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
They're making a sequel to The Old Guard? Ugh. Obnoxious movie. Chiwetel Ejiofor deserves better.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I wasn't expecting to like Tales of the Jedi on Disney Plus as much as I have. It's a prequel/sequel 6 episode series to The Clone Wars in the same animation style focusing on the stories of Count Dooku and Ahsoka. It's fantastic.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Recent streaming roundup:

Barbarian is good but did get a little overhyped, outside of how funny it is when Justin Long starts measuring the square footage it played its premise pretty straight. A lot of good shots though which is like half the reason I enjoy horror movies at all.

Midnight Club is the weakest link in the Flanaverse, which is apparently a thing. It's not bad but most of the stories barely come together, including the main plot, and the girl in the wheelchair wasn't half as likable as the plot kept telling us she was.

Werewolf By Night may be the best thing Disney Plus has done. Technically part of the MCU but don't let that put you off it, its an hour of 1940s Universal Pictures horror pastiche and it absolutely fucks.

Abbott Elementary is a very charming Office-style comedy at an underprivileged school in Philadelphia that, so far, has managed to be funny without falling into the 'everyone is best friends and everything works out' trap that Parks and Rec/Schitt's Creek/etc eventually fell into.

Rings of Power is...fine. It's fine. It has too many characters and too many plotlines that don't really connect, and it's worse when they do, but there's enough good there to balance out the mediocre. Look, it's better than the Hobbit movies alright, what do you want from me!

Conversely, House of the Dragon fully owns, GRRM is back baybeeee

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I love the hobbit movies extended editions. There’s so many extra songs n stuff!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I love the hobbit movies extended editions. There’s so many extra songs n stuff!

I still maintain that the LOTR Extended Editions made each of those films better movies. I didn't really care for the Hobbit movies, so I was hoping that the EEs would make them better. They kind of did, but not really. As much as I loved all the stuff with Gandalf, Galadriel, and Elrond investigating Sauron, I saw a fan edit that cut out everything that wasn't in The Hobbit book and edited the 3 movies down to 1, and it was superior to the original cuts.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’m open to watching a fan edit but I like all the filler lol. Even the Legolas backstory stuff

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

I saw a fan edit that cut out everything that wasn't in The Hobbit book and edited the 3 movies down to 1, and it was superior to the original cuts.
Is this the Maple Films edit? I think I'm going to have to check this out

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mystes posted:

Is this the Maple Films edit? I think I'm going to have to check this out

I don't know who made the edit, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Was the "one movie" 4 hours and 21 minutes long with an intermission in the middle?