Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I had a goofy moment in the Ethiopia thunderdome, I was in a war with one country, they occupied a bit of my land, giving them a connection to a second country. The second country then invaded and annexed them, despite their only land connection being that one strip of occupied land, which then stopped being occupied once they got annexed.

I like it, it feels like vic 2 in the sense that the learning curve is really steep, but once you get over that and figure out how it actually works, it's satisfying to do things.

Is it actually possible to clear the starting disaster for Central America? Or are you just meant to lose it? I tried to drop the unhappiness by inviting more parties into govt, dropping taxes, and importing the goods the pops wanted, but I have no idea if it's possible to get it under 20%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Omobono posted:

Oof, if the economy cools of for a split second clawing back into growth is painful.

Pro Noob tip: stick to interventionism/lasseiz faire until you have some games and understand the economic model's behavior. The investment pool is a loving amazing safety net when one needs to restore order.

Ironically, because it behaves like Keynesian policy: capitalists swipe profit off the top of a strong economy cooling it down, and then you as the government can reinvest that cash when the economy crashes. Under command economy a skilled player could do it manually, but well see above.

you can also get around it with workers co-ops from council republic. also presumably merchant guilds for urban + aristrocrats for rural would cut them out entirely but i havnt tried it, and then you have aristrocrats instead but at least its only partially impacting the econ not entirely. w workers co-ops tho both capitalists and aristrocrats have nearly disappeared and the ones that still exist are 100% unemployed.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Red Bones posted:

Is it actually possible to clear the starting disaster for Central America? Or are you just meant to lose it? I tried to drop the unhappiness by inviting more parties into govt, dropping taxes, and importing the goods the pops wanted, but I have no idea if it's possible to get it under 20%.

i can't imagine you are supposed to lose it but there's probably some pro strat to do it. building USCA is supposed to be really hard, in reality it fell apart quickly due to political infighting. you could keep USCA around in vicky 2 by doing the trick exploiting troop AI

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

StashAugustine posted:

Trade woes: so some of the godawful lategame production can be fixed if you set up import routes and wait, especially in richer countries- I assume the AI is bad at generating demand but starts producing once they see a reason to. Problem is now I am entirely capped out on convoys and can't grow any routes. Considering subsidizing some unprofitable staples that are being kept afloat by exports- or maybe free trade is finally viable? It'd gently caress my tariffs pretty bad but I've got some nutty income now

I've run Free Trade since the 1880s and after some initial adjustment it seems to have evened out as more money overall. I can run low taxes, very high wages while maintaining what feels like a decent construction schedule (mostly financed with Laissez-Faire fund money). In peacetime, while people liked me, anyhow.

That said, if you're having trouble with convoys under mercantilism/protectionism then I can promise you it'll get way worse under Free Trade. The key effect of Free Trade is that using trade routes for input/output is much more profitable for your industries, so you're going to want even more of them to reap the benefit. You probably want to expand and upgrade some ports first.

Also, be aware that the more you rely on trade to run your economy, the more you're at the mercy of people liking you. Accumulating too much badboy and having the wrong nation embargo you under Free Trade can make entire industries death spiral. I'm hoping to play something with more map painting for my next round, and one take away from playing Sweden is that in order to do so I really want me + my puppeting victims to be a mostly self-sufficient internal market.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I might restart and find a way to rush Colonialism so I can claim a couple of the other native american territories before the US does.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
So, started as China again, no mods.

Immediately kicked the landowners (purple) out of government and replaced them with the military. That way I could start suppressing the landowners ASAP and move towards Professional Army.
(Edit: low Legitimacy mostly just seems to affect how long it takes to pass laws; this doesn't seem to be a bit problem)

I chose to not contest the Opium War at all, instead choosing to start up diplomatic incidents with my neighbors, starting with Dai Nam. Many of them will back down without a fight, so you just want to demand one state, fully mobilize, and let them fold. If they don't fold, well, pops are cheap and you don't pay for weapons, so who cares how many of them die? My goal with conquering this region is to get rubber in there later on in the game. I also went after Japan and had them fold as well. At this point I'm alternating between the Siam/Burma/Dai Nam and Japan as my infamy allows.

Speaking of infamy, I try to keep enough influence to be constantly losing 25% more infamy. I also started improving relations with the British immediately - you want them on your good side.

On the money front, I protected my internal supply of opium (raising tariffs on the Brits), and put a consumption tax into place.

I built 50 construction buildings and have them on wood, set all sawmills to make lumber only, and set furniture manufacturers to only make normal furniture. Then I prioritized more lumber and more paper to reduce the overhead cost of running things. Leaving everything to the AI to expand also works well when you're not sure what to build, and building stuff yourself seems mostly helpful when you're about to transition to using a new input, like coal (what I wouldn't give for a "gradual transition" button instead of having to micro that...).

I'm a little over 10 years in and things are going pretty well. The economy is decent, the landowners are losing power slowly, and my empire is expanding to secure resource-rich locations. Building up enough bureaucracy is going to be a major challenge, and I don't expect to get good tax efficiency until much later on in the game. There's not a whole lot of blood that can be squeezed from serfs, after all, and the landowners are making abolishing serfdom a bit of a pain in the rear end. It'll get done eventually though.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 27, 2022

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What exactly determines wages? I've got massive unemployment but I've also got buildings making +25% price products running at a loss because wages are so drat high.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Eldoop posted:

Okay yeah this seems like the likely candidate? When I get home from work I'll have a whack at opening up my borders and see if it fixes things! Very weird behavior if that is what's going on, seems like a thing to fix

Serfs are property, part of the land. If they could move that would be stealing from the landowners.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Xerophyte posted:

I've run Free Trade since the 1880s and after some initial adjustment it seems to have evened out as more money overall. I can run low taxes, very high wages while maintaining what feels like a decent construction schedule (mostly financed with Laissez-Faire fund money). In peacetime, while people liked me, anyhow.

That said, if you're having trouble with convoys under mercantilism/protectionism then I can promise you it'll get way worse under Free Trade. The key effect of Free Trade is that using trade routes for input/output is much more profitable for your industries, so you're going to want even more of them to reap the benefit. You probably want to expand and upgrade some ports first.

Also, be aware that the more you rely on trade to run your economy, the more you're at the mercy of people liking you. Accumulating too much badboy and having the wrong nation embargo you under Free Trade can make entire industries death spiral. I'm hoping to play something with more map painting for my next round, and one take away from playing Sweden is that in order to do so I really want me + my puppeting victims to be a mostly self-sufficient internal market.

Makes sense- I'm playing a pretty pacifist Sweden on tutorial mode so I'm not worried about war, but I'm also literally at the limit of what my convoys can handle, expanded every port to what I think is the tech max and am running modern ports. Pretty sure I literally can't ship more

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

What exactly determines wages? I've got massive unemployment but I've also got buildings making +25% price products running at a loss because wages are so drat high.

gov and mil wages in the budget panel. other wages are based off the productivity of where people work iirc and theres a series of minimum wage upgrades available in the institution panel if you have the reqs

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I find it so dangerous to rely on an export economy. I started within the UK market as Canada and developed the gently caress out of my coal mines. Like, I maxed out all of canada on coal mines and coal was still at like +15% price. When i finally got full independence from the UK and my own market this of course tanked my coal price and ruined my economy. No problem, for some reason coal is suddenly ultra expensive in the UK, I'll export to them! The problem seems to be that in-market trade doesn't cost shipping, but between-market trade does. Even with Canada's ports all maxed out I simply could not export enough coal to bring the price point back up. The UK also experienced a horrific coal price spike. Splitting our market was very bad for everyone.

A couple questions about goods if anyone knows.

Is electricity a state-specific resource or it's market wide like anything else? Seems weird that power produced in Ontario could be sent all the way to BC. Power is generally a pretty local thing, even in modern times, but specially back in the 1800's. The same question with groceries. I keep spreading my grocery industries out between states, but I'm starting to realize it's just a product like any other and doesn't represent your local supermarket or something.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
One thing I've been questioning is whether manually built construction sectors really need to be there. It's a rather clunky system where suboptimal micro can easily mean the difference between snowballing and stagnating because it's the bottleneck for almost everything else. If it's so tricky for new players, I have to wonder if this is part of why AI nations seem to struggle to remain competitive.

What if instead of a construction cap you decide how many things to work on in parallel or how much money you want to spend on construction? Either way you'd still be limited by your budget and investment pool like before, but it'd be fewer things to micromanage and for the AI to fall behind on.

Schnitzler
Jul 28, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Omobono posted:

Oof, if the economy cools of for a split second clawing back into growth is painful.

Pro Noob tip: stick to interventionism/lasseiz faire until you have some games and understand the economic model's behavior. The investment pool is a loving amazing safety net when one needs to restore order.

Ironically, because it behaves like Keynesian policy: capitalists swipe profit off the top of a strong economy cooling it down, and then you as the government can reinvest that cash when the economy crashes. Under command economy a skilled player could do it manually, but well see above.

Funny, I thought of the investment fund as the games way to model capitalists reinvesting their profits to grow their capital further. So you, the player, using the investment fund to build a new factory represents capitalists investing into a new business, guided by the invisible (mouse) hand of the free market.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

One thing I've been questioning is whether manually built construction sectors really need to be there. It's a rather clunky system where suboptimal micro can easily mean the difference between snowballing and stagnating because it's the bottleneck for almost everything else. If it's so tricky for new players, I have to wonder if this is part of why AI nations seem to struggle to remain competitive.

What if instead of a construction cap you decide how many things to work on in parallel or how much money you want to spend on construction? Either way you'd still be limited by your budget and investment pool like before, but it'd be fewer things to micromanage and for the AI to fall behind on.

It would be cool if idle construction sectors could be assumed to be doing SOMETHING. Building housing or roads or who knows what...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if you feel like you want construction sectors idle you have too many and should just downsize

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Waiting for Britain to stick their dicks into some far away beehive, so that they don't stick it into my local beehive and royally screw up my plans, is a bit of a drag.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Stux posted:

if you feel like you want construction sectors idle you have too many and should just downsize

This was a huge thing to figure out, its an easy trap to fall into to overbuild construction, because you immediately assume more construction = better than.

Also I'm trying New Grenada and there's a railroad through the Darien Gap (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap)
0/10 worst game of the year

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This was a huge thing to figure out, its an easy trap to fall into to overbuild construction, because you immediately assume more construction = better than.

Also I'm trying New Grenada and there's a railroad through the Darien Gap (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap)
0/10 worst game of the year

yeah, i feel like if youve played hoi4 specifically its very easy to think "oh its like civ factories time to queue them up" lol thats how it caught me out initially

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
If you need to slow down your construction you can switch the funding to half the amount of construction. Or pause it completely.

I've been investing in construction when my gold surplus is large, it's a good way to burn funds in something you'll definitely get use out of.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CuddleCryptid posted:

I think this is the first grand strategy game that I've played that makes Britain feel like a true powerhouse. Most give them naval bonuses, or they get special colony bonuses, or their colonies get exploited for profit really easily. But here *everyone* wants into the British markets.

lol, I have learned not to become dependent on a market I don't control... I warped my economy around being in the british market for two decades and now I have to untangle this huge knot of input shortfalls after they kicked me out

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol, I have learned not to become dependent on a market I don't control... I warped my economy around being in the british market for two decades and now I have to untangle this huge knot of input shortfalls after they kicked me out

What's the reason they would kick you out?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have no idea! I wish there was an events ledger or something, maybe I clicked past something but I only noticed when my revenue completely tanked, i saw I was out of the british market, and my relations with the UK were 0

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

your first mistake was trusting the british

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Perfidious Albion strikes again

Amumin
Dec 21, 2018

So apparently if the communist manifesto event happens in Estonia, this guy might appear instead of Marx.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
One of the videos I watched suggested Canada as a first playthrough and I think it was pretty good. Being in the British market and being protected by them as the Hudson Bay company but still being able to make diplomatic plays feels like a nice kitty pool. It's a little tough to build the economy and it feels somewhat gamey for a relatively rural part of the empire to suddenly start cranking out high quality manufactured goods in order to prop up its economy, but that's what worked for me!
It's now in the 1880s, my colonies in Africa are greater than the homelands, specifically the Congo, I've been slowly starting to agitate GB to make a play for independence at some point and they decided they would like to try and annex me. I had been building relations with the other great powers and now have France, Austria, and the USA on my side. Had to leave before the escalation fired but should be interesting! Looking forward to seeing if those countries won't automatically implode their economy like Russia does in a war

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A minor $80,000 deficit. Hope you have deep reserves!

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Amumin posted:

So apparently if the communist manifesto event happens in Estonia, this guy might appear instead of Marx.

That's great lol. Antler communist flag variants would be cool.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
He’s even got the sideburns!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Started a game as the Papal States now that I know the basics. They start with no 0 tax revenue in 1836 because they’re at a -170 bureaucracy deficit thanks to institutions and importing luxury goods.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Arrath posted:

Waiting for Britain to stick their dicks into some far away beehive, so that they don't stick it into my local beehive and royally screw up my plans, is a bit of a drag.

If you can raise relations to cordial with someone, they usually can't attack you. If Britain is hell-bent on destroying you this won't work, but most minor countries can escape their attention by just improving relations before things come to a bhead.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

If you can raise relations to cordial with someone, they usually can't attack you. If Britain is hell-bent on destroying you this won't work, but most minor countries can escape their attention by just improving relations before things come to a bhead.

Yeah I've been working on that, its a bit of a slow process.

Now I've run into a new block: By taking so long to get this fight going, my target unifies with their overlord during the war so my war goal (transfer puppet) can no longer be enforced even if I win the war, since that puppet no longer exists. That's annoying.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 27, 2022

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Prussia seems super aggressive in trying to annex smaller German states. I’ve had three wars with them as Austria within the first 20 years, but it’s been a real good tutorial in how to fight. It took me a while to realize that I needed to change PM for my barracks to update my troops and actually have a chance to withstand the Prussian onslaught.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh my god which paraodox dev put Kras into the game? Amazing work.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 27, 2022

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Haha, just ran into a thing as China where the East India Company decided to start poo poo with me while my military was still set at the worst possible equipment. Little did they know that I actually had the capacity to have a much, much stronger army. I queued up 20 additional arms factories and proceeded to tear them a new rear end in a top hat when they let the conflict proceed to war.

It definitely hurt the pocketbook, but was very satisfying, and I got some of the territory in Johore for my trouble.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Idk what I'm doing

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I find it so dangerous to rely on an export economy. I started within the UK market as Canada and developed the gently caress out of my coal mines. Like, I maxed out all of canada on coal mines and coal was still at like +15% price. When i finally got full independence from the UK and my own market this of course tanked my coal price and ruined my economy. No problem, for some reason coal is suddenly ultra expensive in the UK, I'll export to them! The problem seems to be that in-market trade doesn't cost shipping, but between-market trade does. Even with Canada's ports all maxed out I simply could not export enough coal to bring the price point back up. The UK also experienced a horrific coal price spike. Splitting our market was very bad for everyone.
In market trade kind of costs shipping: you need convoys to support market access to overseas parts of your market. The thing is a market pools its convoys for this purpose.

While you were part of the UK's market there's somewhere you can look to see how many convoys the market has. It's gonna be like a bajillion of them just floating out there. As Canada you'll never have to actually bother making any.

Once you have your own trade route as part of a separate market and suddenly you'll have to provide all the convoys for an export trade route. If the UK sets up an import trade route with you they'll tap into their infinite convoys again, but that's on them.

quote:

A couple questions about goods if anyone knows.

Is electricity a state-specific resource or it's market wide like anything else? Seems weird that power produced in Ontario could be sent all the way to BC. Power is generally a pretty local thing, even in modern times, but specially back in the 1800's. The same question with groceries. I keep spreading my grocery industries out between states, but I'm starting to realize it's just a product like any other and doesn't represent your local supermarket or something.
Electricity appears to be market based and that is indeed very strange. I guess it's a concession to make it work in Vic3's abstract market. Same with "transport". You can build a bunch of railways between Edo and Kyoto and use the "transport" to improve your gold mines in New Zealand.

I rationalize it as a bit of abstraction- there might be a few power plants or railroads all over the place but the player interacts with them in a single province. That rationalization is nonsense if you think of the implications of losing that province, but you're going to have to come to terms with some abstractions in a game like this.

I think they mentioned that in earlier versions of the game there were benefits to building stuff in the same province. Like building a steel mill where there's coal and iron mines used to cut down on infrastructure use or whatever, and citizens in provinces with food factories would get groceries easier, but as far as I can tell that's not in the game anymore. Once you make it it all gets sucked into the omnipresent cloud that is the national market. I think it would be nice if there were more local quirks in value, but I can respect that they want to keep it simple to make the gameplay more even.

Amumin posted:

This is really the greatest thing and makes me want to try my next game as Estonia. Playing a tiny country in the Russian market seems like an interesting change of pace from my first go through as Japan.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dirk the Average posted:

Haha, just ran into a thing as China where the East India Company decided to start poo poo with me while my military was still set at the worst possible equipment. Little did they know that I actually had the capacity to have a much, much stronger army. I queued up 20 additional arms factories and proceeded to tear them a new rear end in a top hat when they let the conflict proceed to war.

It definitely hurt the pocketbook, but was very satisfying, and I got some of the territory in Johore for my trouble.

How's that work? Your troops take huge penalties for a full year when you switch their equipment, and wars start much faster than that.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Schnitzler posted:

Funny, I thought of the investment fund as the games way to model capitalists reinvesting their profits to grow their capital further. So you, the player, using the investment fund to build a new factory represents capitalists investing into a new business, guided by the invisible (mouse) hand of the free market.

Yes, that is what they were meant to represent. But since the fund are under player control (see Victoria 2 for what happens when they don't, namely the player doesn't have fun waiting for the capitalists to build the right factory) it changes a lot in how they actually affect the economic simulation.

It's a necessary compromise to get the capitalists to build a factory that isn't clippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Automation that's under the players terms is fine, forcing it based on esoteric background calculations that they have little control over sucks