Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i want to focus it just on news and news updates, opinion pieces would just muddy that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Finally a place to post twitter links about Gatoh Move/ChocoPro news

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 24, 2022

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

PROPOSITION: a separate CM Punk Derangement Containment thread for the people who want to post about how much they either love or hate CM Punk at all hours of the day, so that the AEW thread could potentially cover other topics.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NienNunb posted:

PROPOSITION: a separate CM Punk Derangement Containment thread for the people who want to post about how much they either love or hate CM Punk at all hours of the day, so that the AEW thread could potentially cover other topics.

only if it gets called Mindy's Bakery

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

NienNunb posted:

don't personally have a prob with this, however for some loving reason this topic above all else causes much gnashing of (larry's) teeth so i'd be a little more strict in there when people start throwing barbs at each other.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NienNunb posted:

I think this is a good idea, I like talking about the drama but I want the AEW thread to be fun too

Separately I think we should put an amnesty on the Derangement Syndrome meme. It's just a passive way of insulting people for having opinions we disagree with and we said we were gonna stop doing that (this is not directed at anyone specific)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I will fully acknowledge that I have been the opposite of helpful re: Punk discourse and will stop. I didn't know it was bothering people.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I will fully acknowledge that I have been the opposite of helpful re: Punk discourse and will stop. I didn't know it was bothering people.

lol yeah, I was just pretending but apparently some folks are real serious about who is right in the very goofy AEW work fight.

Containment zones are kind of dumb though and should be avoided whenever possible. Gateway drug to mods giving out probs because they personally don't like the topic or something.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Rarity posted:

I think this is a good idea, I like talking about the drama but I want the AEW thread to be fun too

Separately I think we should put an amnesty on the Derangement Syndrome meme. It's just a passive way of insulting people for having opinions we disagree with and we said we were gonna stop doing that (this is not directed at anyone specific)

:emptyquote:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

In my eyes Derangement Syndrome doesn’t mean “liking someone I don’t like”, it means “I am preoccupied either positively or (most likely) negatively with this professional wrestler and it’s the only thing I wish to talk about”.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

What if I just wanna make jokes about it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

NienNunb posted:

In my eyes Derangement Syndrome doesn’t mean “liking someone I don’t like”, it means “I am preoccupied either positively or (most likely) negatively with this professional wrestler and it’s the only thing I wish to talk about”.

It is why I am trying to actively limit the times I post about certain individuals since I rarely have anything positive to say about them.

I think Punk thread idea has merit, but yeah it would need a stricter touch if recent events in the discussion thread are any indication.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

only if it gets called Mindy's Bakery

Larry's Leisure Lounge

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

I’d suggest combining the containment threads (Cornette, Ratings, CM Punk) to be a general AEW thread where people can post anything (including negative takes/opinions) and just make it a rule that the regular weekly Dynamite thread is a positive vibes only thread.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Hausu Usher posted:

the regular weekly Dynamite thread is a positive vibes only thread.

No thank you

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

It’s not about positive or negative it’s about tedium. I’m usually very anti-containment but if I never have to hear about how cm punk is a loser bitch again until something actually real and newsworthy comes out it’ll be too soon.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Contain the positive-vibes-only thread to BYOB where it belongs

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Hausu Usher posted:

I’d suggest combining the containment threads (Cornette, Ratings, CM Punk) to be a general AEW thread where people can post anything (including negative takes/opinions) and just make it a rule that the regular weekly Dynamite thread is a positive vibes only thread.

There's no reason to lump Cornette in with the other two even if we were to do this.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

Oh God please no. Forced fun is annoying as hell and will just lead to posts about how mods are too heavy handed in 6 months.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
don't take usher's post seriously, i think they're still upset about what happened the last time they posted in the feedback thread

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The thing about positive vibes only threads is they're not a good environment for discussion.

We have one currently. It's on page 3. It got a few pages of listicles and then died.

They're also, I imagine, a pain in the rear end to mod if they're actually busy, as there are going to be judgement calls about vibes and I personally do not want to be babysitting and telling people to post anything vaguely negative in the other thread.

I understand the AEW thread can get pissy sometimes, like earlier today. It lasted about a page and a half, someone got put in time out, and now it's fine.

With the vignette last night of the Elite on the way back I have a feeling we will be getting more news about Punk soon. If that happens we can make a thread so it doesn't dominate the AEW thread, especially if he gets bought out as some people think he will be.

yea ok posted:

It’s not about positive or negative it’s about tedium. I’m usually very anti-containment but if I never have to hear about how cm punk is a loser bitch again until something actually real and newsworthy comes out it’ll be too soon.

I get this and I'm usually reticent to squash topics but I'm not above a quick "shut the gently caress up about Punk for a while" request if another pissing contest happens.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the cm punk stuff is just tiring. there's no news other than dirtsheets and any take on the situation has been run so far into the ground that it managed to surpass all other done to death topics like the women's division and whether a storyline that wasn't on tv this week is dead or not

Critical posted:

I get this and I'm usually reticent to squash topics but I'm not above a quick "shut the gently caress up about Punk for a while" request if another pissing contest happens.

please do. i understand not wanting to over-mod but i think it's easy to tell sometimes when people are posting about a thing because they care and when they're posting about a thing because it riles everyone up

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

Is it possible to have an AEW dedicated subforum with more threads/subjects so people can pick and choose what subjects they want to dip into? Maybe the issue could be subverted a little that way? I mean if the solution is containment threads then it's kind of heading that way so it doesn't feel like a daft suggestion.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

A subforum with like 5 active threads in it would be incredibly dumb

Event live thread
Weekly thread
That one AEW business chat thread
Talk about CM Punk thread
Probably a women’s division thread for the same reason as the CM Punk thread

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We could reboot the Temple of Jade Cargill Worship

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's definitely frustrating cause I do think there's been some good chuckles out of the Punk stuff, photoshops and what have you, but it's a sticky issue since yeah tempers are flaring up too. I dunno.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
like to be explicit this is part of what you were going on about a month ago

The Hausu Usher posted:

I mean it's not the most ideal way of posting, but I can understand why they'd maybe think goons wouldn't be so precious about their tv show and there'd be a bit of back and forth.

And still here we have the "righteous exception" attitude a lot of the AEW thread bullies have where they feel empowered to nuke people and opinions on their thread that they don't like.

pardon me if I don't think you're being fully forthright with your suggestions right now usher

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

History Comes Inside! posted:

A subforum with like 5 active threads in it would be incredibly dumb

Event live thread
Weekly thread
That one AEW business chat thread
Talk about CM Punk thread
Probably a women’s division thread for the same reason as the CM Punk thread

you forget the wardlow thread

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Rarity posted:

We could reboot the Temple of Jade Cargill Worship

hell yeah

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

People deserve the right to write the phrase “CM Peepee got milkshake duck’d by Precious Uwu Baby Hangman” six times a day to raucous applause if they so wish and I deserve the right to never have to read it ever again.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

People deserve the right to write the phrase “CM Peepee got milkshake duck’d by Precious Uwu Baby Hangman” six times a day to raucous applause if they so wish and I deserve the right to never have to read it ever again.

i solved that issue by not reading the weekly aew threads anymore

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Alaois posted:

the weekly threads sometimes have good stuff in them that I'd otherwise miss out on from not following wrestle stuff outside sa so I'd rather those threads get improved and the mods crackdown on dumbass gimmick posting that nobody enjoys reading

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I read the thread and just don't let the bad posts do physical harm to me or whatever the hell is happening over there. I seriously never understand these complaints, you're not making bad posts go away.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Alaois posted:

its a brutal thread to read and engage with most days.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

I read the thread and just don't let the bad posts do physical harm to me or whatever the hell is happening over there. I seriously never understand these complaints, you're not making bad posts go away.

This. I also have no idea what gimmick accounts are being referred to

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I would greatly appreciate a CM Punk containment thread that I could never, ever, ever, ever, ever look at or post in.

Also what the gently caress did my ratings thread do to deserve getting grouped with Cornette chat? I just about gasped out loud when I read that.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

flatluigi posted:

like to be explicit this is part of what you were going on about a month ago

pardon me if I don't think you're being fully forthright with your suggestions right now usher

What's the name of this thread?

Am I making suggestions that I believe would help make PSP better?

Yes. Fair enough if others disagree, that's fine. What they have going works for them and I wouldn't expect them to champion a change up.

I don't know what kind of plot you think I'm up to but honestly I'm not that snide (or care enough) to be going out of my way to post or make suggestions just to try and annoy you.

Edit:

MJeff posted:

Also what the gently caress did my ratings thread do to deserve getting grouped with Cornette chat? I just about gasped out loud when I read that.

I wasn't posting in PSP when the Cornette thread was created, but I gathered from context clues it was because the regular thread didn't want those opinions talked about on the AEW thread every week which created the containment.

I was a regular lurker/poster on the AEW thread when the ratings chat was complained about every week which I believe (and I may be wrong here) basically paved the way for your thread. That's my understanding of how that came about, as I said I may be wrong. Your thread obviously has loads of commendable effort posting in it and I'm not comparing the topics, but the function of it is containment which is where I drew the parallels to the other containment thread and, now, the CM Punk thread.

I hope that makes it clearer.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 27, 2022

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

MJeff posted:

I would greatly appreciate a CM Punk containment thread that I could never, ever, ever, ever, ever look at or post in.

Yeah, I don't want to ever read about ratings or number-chan or whatever it is but that was really uncalled for.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

do people not know how to use the ignore function? it rules. it makes the AEW weekly thread way better. Yeah it sucks that ignored posters still show up in quotes but they’re easy to scroll by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I had other things I was going to put in my previous post but my therapist called and I had to saw it off at the knees. Those things have now floated into the atmosphere like so many dandelion seeds.

I think it's pretty safe to say a separate forum for AEW is off the table. Just not enough content or discussion to be feasible.

Unless any other mods have an objection to it I think a Punk thread is fine. Normally I would say :justpost: but since the topic tends to get people hotter than most lets let other opinions come in and see what the big news Dave is hinting at before pulling the trigger.