Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mandoric posted:

The world at the end of (the war at the end of) an era.

Mistakes: Many.
- Early dev whether or not the Shogun approves gets Japan off on an extremely strong midgame footing, but the Shogun never forcefully disapproves, just lets you work yourself into a soft failstate where they'll stomp out of government, preventing you from either passing reforms that further disempower them or pissing off the growing industrialist and samurai interests enough to kick off a historical Meiji Restoration. Around 40 years midgame were spent just cycling RGO/factory dev and waiting for the politics timer.
- I never really managed to deal with the peasant economy or severe research constraints as a whole due to this; SoL is passable just due to PM changes keeping everyone fed but eh.
- Around another 20 years was spent focused on bullying what was left of the US. Bullying for territory is extremely suboptimal even if it's good territory; you get one state unless you can bait them into actual war and still get your five-year truce timer and huge bad boy points (I think my BEST foreign relation, barring an incongruous protectorate in Parma I took on a lark as my wargoal in a Cut Down To Size play from the Two Sicilies and then they collapsed, is -1500.)
- Because of the research constraints only allowing for one military path, and how fatal being behind in land tech is if you can't swarm, my navy's loving dire and my economy did tank hard when I attracted convoy raiding while waiting these out.
- I didn't think to start spam-coring after going multiculturalism/separation of church and state, so this also meant regular rebellions to clean up after the main war.

Successes:
- Every other major except the Qing was buried by near-continuous civil conflict, so while I'm nominally the fourth GP--in a dead heat with the UK for 3rd--if I wanted to map paint I have a clear path through just continuing to shred Russia and Qing.
- Cut Down to Size seems to just not work if you don't share a land border; everyone but Russia, I didn't even seriously mobilize, just was able to wait them out and WPed.
- If you don't have major unprofitable sectors to subsidize, and starting from enforced autarkhy encourages this, forcing through Council Republic rapidly gets you to a 100% legitimacy 100% voteshare national unity government dominated by the unions.

Systems :dafuq:s:
- Autocrats who leave government rather than kicking off a civil war, but still have autocratic legitimacy.
- I don't mind the war system per se, but:
-- Lots of the fate of all Kamchatka resting on 2000 dudes from two 400k armies meeting in some forest for the scheduled battle that month. But the AI definitely doesn't care about whatever limited supply system there is, and will flood their 400k in to pingpong a more reasonably sized force to death.
-- Fronts get extremely weird around impassable/seas. Holding Okhotsk but not Kamchatka or Transbaikal, you cannot march east as it's considered part of the Transbaikal front; conversely, if fighting in Hokkaido the front gets split sometimes into west and east of Asahikawa, and woe unto you if your general gets reassigned to the east and needs to do a full redeploy to hold a thrust coming toward/through Sapporo.
- And you will be fighting in Hokkaido if you're Japan, as you can't actually colonize it until after your reform process kicks in and the Euros will snag it and Sakhalin first. But you get a reclaim state claim on Sakhalin? But not northern Hokkaido?
- Apparently can't garrison unruly islands against separatism; you get booted out and have to land again.
- If you're naughty, everyone will want to cut you down to size. Even people on the other side of the world with no navy.
- Conceding a Cut Down to Size war definitely isn't just returning all conquests within the prior 10 years like the tooltip says. Might be conquests from targets who you've conquered from in the prior 10 years, or past 10 years plus uncored, but I'd been keeping my plate spinning and lost literally everything when I tried it.
- AI doesn't dev unusual resources well at all; if you want there to be oil or opium or even rubber in the world you basically have to conquer somewhere that has it and dev it up yourself. Opium kind of stands out because unless you start extremely early you have to be able to take either the British or the Qing.

For my next run, I'm going to manually disassemble the US and then try and take one state up.

I don't think Japan has a problem with a peasant economy? At least for the first 30 years or something that I've managed.

You can definitely do industrial development, it just takes micromanagement since it's just pure autarky. Build an iron mine and a tooling factory, switch to iron tools based construction methods. Can do it bit by bit to switchover from wooden construction to iron. Then you can switch over to iron tools for your lumbermills and so on. Then branch out into some coal. After that lead and sulfur as needed. Lead for glass production, sulfur for paper production.

The biggest change I saw was that there wasn't demand for "food products" until you build the first sector but then you instantly get demand for glass, alcohol, all your agricultural products. Giant bump to the economy.

Anyway, I think Japan shouldn't have any problems at least getting right up to steel production even while stuck in traditionalism and serfdom.

At least it doesn't seem to have serious issues like Russia does where you can't possibly expand any industry because the serf population doesn't know how to work whichever industry you're shoving them into and it's impossible to staff them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Mans posted:

HoI4 took years to feel properly solid so i'm not surprised if Vicky will only be a proper complete experience by the end of 2023.

It's not so much that the game is bad, it's just barebones.

Vicky2 is an awful experience and anyone thinking it's superior are crazy. Absolutely awful influence system, awful war mechanics (try to mobilize as russia lol), awful colonization mechanics, barely any diplomatic options.

Game as mediocre, but it was the only game we had.

Hoi4 doesn't feel solid to this very day.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Polgas posted:

How do I attract foreign immigrants? I managed to get my standard of living high enough that my migration thing is in the green but every time I checked its always internal migration.

I think a combination of greener grass and making racism illegal is what gets you a decent amount of immigration.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

I don't think Japan has a problem with a peasant economy? At least for the first 30 years or something that I've managed.

You can definitely do industrial development, it just takes micromanagement since it's just pure autarky. Build an iron mine and a tooling factory, switch to iron tools based construction methods. Can do it bit by bit to switchover from wooden construction to iron. Then you can switch over to iron tools for your lumbermills and so on. Then branch out into some coal. After that lead and sulfur as needed. Lead for glass production, sulfur for paper production.

The biggest change I saw was that there wasn't demand for "food products" until you build the first sector but then you instantly get demand for glass, alcohol, all your agricultural products. Giant bump to the economy.

Anyway, I think Japan shouldn't have any problems at least getting right up to steel production even while stuck in traditionalism and serfdom.

At least it doesn't seem to have serious issues like Russia does where you can't possibly expand any industry because the serf population doesn't know how to work whichever industry you're shoving them into and it's impossible to staff them up.

Other end of the problem. I basically hit the modern RL issue where there's a decisive enough educated, engaged urban pop to support worldbeater industry--I'm reasonably sure I was the first to electrify!, and I hadn't really slowed down since then other than the entire world being too hosed to really reach endgame tech--but even in Edo half the pop is subsistence farmers and another third is unskilled labor. Ironically it's probably through my own success at early industrialization into large-scale goods production and keeping prices low, the peasantry is more than happy to upgrade to laborers for cheap and therefore I'm deep into production-increasing PMs but barely touching labor-reducing ones, and because the goods are cheap and the landowners and capitalists are completely defanged even laborers have comfortable lifestyles. It just doesn't help my terrible literacy rate or get rid of the journal entry about getting off the farm.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The most surefire way to make sure peasants don't exist is to build all the agriculture buildings so that there's no subsistence building levels.

Of course it lands you with a gigantic unemployment problem but at least you got rid of the peasantry.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Victoria 3: the capitalists don't have any rope to sell me.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/prussianyankee/status/1585310671649898501

Also lmao

https://twitter.com/batteryjuiceyum/status/1585459678342832128

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

I was wondering if there was regional naming, like if he would spawn in England as Charles Marks or something.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Looks pretty easy to do, make the mod and put it on nexus

e: maybe something like this, if you plug in the proper variable for whatever great britain is in game
code:
1 = {
	trigger = {
		capital = { state_region = s:STATE_ENGLAND }
	}
	create_character = {
		first_name = Charles
		last_name = Marks
		ig_leader = yes
		interest_group = ig_harrypotter_unions
		ideology = ideology_communist
		traits = {
			direct
			intolerable
			persistent
			terf
		}

palindrome has issued a correction as of 06:25 on Oct 28, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
So apparently Prussia is to easy to have valid complaints so I'm playing Ottomans now.

Took longer to break the power of the landlords cus they were more entrenched in laws. Took longer to build up industry and production capacity cus you start from a shittier position in terms of tech and existing RGOs and industry. Had to fight some wars, which was fun. The diplo play mechanic is nice as well. Fronts need work and it'd be nice to be able to know in advance what I could do to get support from other powers in my diplo play before starting one.

Overall though, still not very difficult and most of the decisions seem very obvious. I think it's because what is supposed to be a careful modernizing balancing act is trivialized because radicals don't uhh do poo poo at all? I regularly had 5m radicals on a total pop of 20m, with only 200k loyalists. Turmoil in almost all my provinces. I got good police though so impact is minimal. If a full quarter of your population is radically opposed to your government you'd think they would do something. But they don't. So I just merrily keep industrializing until I finally reach the point where I can throw all that cheap construction capacity into RGOs and consumer industries, quality of life shoots up, the whole population deradicalizes, further increasing state income, funding yet more industry, and then the virtuous cycle never ends.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the way I'm reading the discussion over the last page or so is that the way you proactively take command of the economy is that you look at what your people [want to] consume, and then you start building those up, even if you have to start from something as basic as grain farms to replace subsistence farming

and eventually you'll start needing factories instead of just RGOs, and sometimes those factories are going to need inputs that you can't provide yourself, so you have to import them

and eventually you'll develop newer production methods, but the trade-off to increased productivity is that they require new materials, like Tools or Coal, so you build Tools factories, and you build coal mines, or you import coal

and you basically build your economy from the most basic needs, upwards?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
That's probably the most stable way to do it, but things get wacky if you start playing minors countries that don't have the population to sustain generalized production.

It doesn't feel good, but you can definitely build your economy in a dumb way, like building a few plantations and using the proceeds to import luxuries for the plantation owners.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

the way I'm reading the discussion over the last page or so is that the way you proactively take command of the economy is that you look at what your people [want to] consume, and then you start building those up, even if you have to start from something as basic as grain farms to replace subsistence farming

and eventually you'll start needing factories instead of just RGOs, and sometimes those factories are going to need inputs that you can't provide yourself, so you have to import them

and eventually you'll develop newer production methods, but the trade-off to increased productivity is that they require new materials, like Tools or Coal, so you build Tools factories, and you build coal mines, or you import coal

The part you're missing is that construction is expensive if the inputs are expensive. So you (or at least I) first invest a shitton in the basic construction materials. That is wood, iron and tools. The basic input for tools is also wood and iron, so that's convenient. Once you get more efficient mining tech you need coal and tools to run it, so more wood, iron, tools and then also some coal. Run those prices into the ground and you can sustain more construction. Then do all the things you outlined. Whenever you do anything that takes wood, iron, tools or coal as an input (ie. almost everything), make sure you increase that capacity also. Cheap construction is the engine of industrialization. Eventually you run into infrastructure limits so you need to build railroads (wood, iron, tools, coal & engines, which also need steel, which needs iron and coal.

I deficit spend like mad to build that wood, iron, tools and later coal capacity up. This also means peasants become poorly paid labourers because no other factory or RGO jobs available and I am driving the prices of the goods into the ground so the landlords/capitalists save money on wages, and while my population grows naturally during this time, I'm not increasing production of their basic necessities. Government goes in debt and lower classes radicalize. However this has no consequences. Then when your production engine is ready, you mass-build the basic necessities of the lower class, ie. wheat, fabrics, tobacco, clothing, furniture and solve the radicalization problem, which solves the debt problem.

Edit:
I do think playing Ottomans I've figured out why the AI doesn't build highly sought after and relatively rare RGOs, like dye or silk: because making profit on it is actually really loving difficult. In an aborted first run with Ottomans I tried to kickstart my economy by funding it through silk exports. So I built a bunch of silk RGOs. Except now to export it you need convoys, which need ports, which need clippers, which need shipyards and wood and tools. If the clippers are too expensive, the port doesn't make a profit on its exports. The inputs of clippers are wood and tools. And my export and import is hard-capped by number of ports I can build. And also every trade route takes bureaucracy, which means I gotta build government buildings. Starting to see the problem? I need a more complex supply chain just to be able to export silk at profit to then fund my construction and industrialization as if I just build the cheap construction internally. And both don't do dick for my pops' quality of life, so the resulting radicalization would be about equal. But it costs a lot more to build the silk export supply chain because I'm not lowering my construction material costs as I'm doing it.

So in conclusion, it appears the AI is actually making a smart decision not developing those supply chains and turning themselves into an export-based RGO economy. Though the collective effect of that on the world economy is quite pronounced. What appears to be missing in the game's model is the landlord class or a comprador class forcing this kind of development because it greatly benefits them at the expense of the rest of society.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 11:28 on Oct 28, 2022

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Mandoric posted:

The world at the end of (the war at the end of) an era.

Mistakes: Many.
- Early dev whether or not the Shogun approves gets Japan off on an extremely strong midgame footing, but the Shogun never forcefully disapproves, just lets you work yourself into a soft failstate where they'll stomp out of government, preventing you from either passing reforms that further disempower them or pissing off the growing industrialist and samurai interests enough to kick off a historical Meiji Restoration. Around 40 years midgame were spent just cycling RGO/factory dev and waiting for the politics timer.
- I never really managed to deal with the peasant economy or severe research constraints as a whole due to this; SoL is passable just due to PM changes keeping everyone fed but eh.
- Around another 20 years was spent focused on bullying what was left of the US. Bullying for territory is extremely suboptimal even if it's good territory; you get one state unless you can bait them into actual war and still get your five-year truce timer and huge bad boy points (I think my BEST foreign relation, barring an incongruous protectorate in Parma I took on a lark as my wargoal in a Cut Down To Size play from the Two Sicilies and then they collapsed, is -1500.)
- Because of the research constraints only allowing for one military path, and how fatal being behind in land tech is if you can't swarm, my navy's loving dire and my economy did tank hard when I attracted convoy raiding while waiting these out.
- I didn't think to start spam-coring after going multiculturalism/separation of church and state, so this also meant regular rebellions to clean up after the main war.

Successes:
- Every other major except the Qing was buried by near-continuous civil conflict, so while I'm nominally the fourth GP--in a dead heat with the UK for 3rd--if I wanted to map paint I have a clear path through just continuing to shred Russia and Qing.
- Cut Down to Size seems to just not work if you don't share a land border; everyone but Russia, I didn't even seriously mobilize, just was able to wait them out and WPed.
- If you don't have major unprofitable sectors to subsidize, and starting from enforced autarkhy encourages this, forcing through Council Republic rapidly gets you to a 100% legitimacy 100% voteshare national unity government dominated by the unions.

Systems :dafuq:s:
- Autocrats who leave government rather than kicking off a civil war, but still have autocratic legitimacy.
- I don't mind the war system per se, but:
-- Lots of the fate of all Kamchatka resting on 2000 dudes from two 400k armies meeting in some forest for the scheduled battle that month. But the AI definitely doesn't care about whatever limited supply system there is, and will flood their 400k in to pingpong a more reasonably sized force to death.
-- Fronts get extremely weird around impassable/seas. Holding Okhotsk but not Kamchatka or Transbaikal, you cannot march east as it's considered part of the Transbaikal front; conversely, if fighting in Hokkaido the front gets split sometimes into west and east of Asahikawa, and woe unto you if your general gets reassigned to the east and needs to do a full redeploy to hold a thrust coming toward/through Sapporo.
- And you will be fighting in Hokkaido if you're Japan, as you can't actually colonize it until after your reform process kicks in and the Euros will snag it and Sakhalin first. But you get a reclaim state claim on Sakhalin? But not northern Hokkaido?
- Apparently can't garrison unruly islands against separatism; you get booted out and have to land again.
- If you're naughty, everyone will want to cut you down to size. Even people on the other side of the world with no navy.
- Conceding a Cut Down to Size war definitely isn't just returning all conquests within the prior 10 years like the tooltip says. Might be conquests from targets who you've conquered from in the prior 10 years, or past 10 years plus uncored, but I'd been keeping my plate spinning and lost literally everything when I tried it.
- AI doesn't dev unusual resources well at all; if you want there to be oil or opium or even rubber in the world you basically have to conquer somewhere that has it and dev it up yourself. Opium kind of stands out because unless you start extremely early you have to be able to take either the British or the Qing.

For my next run, I'm going to manually disassemble the US and then try and take one state up.

how did you get to the end? you just play at speed 5 and never pause? maybe that's what im doing wrong.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

how did you get to the end? you just play at speed 5 and never pause? maybe that's what im doing wrong.

I got far ahead of my quota at work and poopsocked for a couple days. But also, yeah, pause basically only came out when the government, tech, or truce timers ended and it was time to make complex inputs; the baseline industrial stability from autarkhy otherwise allowed me to just mash "add" in the buildings tab when something started being too profitable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
why are people saying there's autarky in Vic 3? I thought that was a Vic 2 thing?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sort of but you can also import things and that's often a straightforward profit too, from tariffs and just from making goods more available to fuel your industry or whatever.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

why are people saying there's autarky in Vic 3? I thought that was a Vic 2 thing?

Not as a named game system, but I lack a better term for "full-stack internal RGOs and intermediate good production tuned to exactly what my modernized industry needs, while still maintaining the Isolationism trade policy". Once you're there buildings don't really take enough thought to justify pauses, just slam on the new PM and mash whatever added resources are demanded, or mash whatever's profitable and its inputs until it middles out somewhere in the low silver/high bronze to increase your SoL and engaged population. Prices don't need to be watched otherwise because there are no surprise export routes to take advantage of, and no way to rush them down with imports. And if you've been doing it long enough to self-sufficiently industrialize (and self-sufficiently build armies big enough to bite off some oil and rubber), even after exiting Isolation external trade tends to be a drop in the bucket.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is the reason they have the weird box graphs that Victoria 2 was made fun of for being filled with pie charts?

I know they’re used in international trade to display exports by sector or whatever, but I’m already married to an economist I don’t need to see those for every display in the game. If they had a UI option for bar graph, pie chart etc that would be great.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:33 on Oct 28, 2022

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
click the area graphs to turn them into pie charts

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Takanago posted:

click the area graphs to turn them into pie charts

Woah.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
CK3 seemed pretty good to me at release. Obviously not as fleshed out as CK2 with its myriad of DLCs but still a good core of the same game updated and with some of the DLC stuff brought over. Vicky 3 seems like it'll get there pretty quickly, but who knows. People were really attached to being able to micro your soldiers in vicky 2

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Overall though, still not very difficult and most of the decisions seem very obvious. I think it's because what is supposed to be a careful modernizing balancing act is trivialized because radicals don't uhh do poo poo at all? I regularly had 5m radicals on a total pop of 20m, with only 200k loyalists. Turmoil in almost all my provinces. I got good police though so impact is minimal. If a full quarter of your population is radically opposed to your government you'd think they would do something. But they don't. So I just merrily keep industrializing until I finally reach the point where I can throw all that cheap construction capacity into RGOs and consumer industries, quality of life shoots up, the whole population deradicalizes, further increasing state income, funding yet more industry, and then the virtuous cycle never ends.

Radicals don't do anything by themselves. They need to make an organized political movement first. This isn't an anarchism simulator.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i had to fight a civil war to enforce separation of church and state when the Armed Forces and the Catholic Church got together and rebelled.

fortunately i somehow still had an army to fight them off with despite it being the Armed Forces in revolt

that was almost one playthrough out the window

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Dreylad posted:

Vicky 3 seems like it'll get there pretty quickly, but who knows. People were really attached to being able to micro your soldiers in vicky 2

Which is weird, right, considering how most Victorian wars, which were Small Wars, were fought. I understand why you don’t want a separate ruleset and mechanics for wars in Europe and the ACW (actually, I do), but 1853, 66, 71 and 1914 were the exceptions. Most often wars and expeditions, Aethiopia, the Punjab, the North-West Frontier, the Sudan, Peking, were fought by columns that did not carry out any intricate manoeuvres. The high level decision making was to send them, the conduct of operations didn’t require close management.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's a shame because those colonial wars could be modeled really well but kinda aren't right now

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

Which is weird, right, considering how most Victorian wars, which were Small Wars, were fought. I understand why you don’t want a separate ruleset and mechanics for wars in Europe and the ACW (actually, I do), but 1853, 66, 71 and 1914 were the exceptions. Most often wars and expeditions, Aethiopia, the Punjab, the North-West Frontier, the Sudan, Peking, were fought by columns that did not carry out any intricate manoeuvres. The high level decision making was to send them, the conduct of operations didn’t require close management.

Yeah, I think it's just familiarity with how all the old Paradox games worked and people feel like components are being stripped out even if from a game design perspective (and historical perspective) they don't make sense. I mean, as I posted earlier, it's the same about people wanting "capitalism/lessez-faire economics." What that seems to have boiled down to is having pops construct factories for you that often made no sense, which is funny and adds a certain kind of verisimilitude, but doesn't really give the player more stuff to do other than have to go command economy to do what they want anyway. \

And historically governments spun up whole industries all the time, protectionism was rampant, and those foolish enough to leave things to private investment more often than not had it blow up in their face. The Darian colony disaster that effectively forced the speculators in Scotland to sell the country to England springs to mind, although that's a bit before the game's starting date.

Unfortunately, I think the battle system haters might be right about different kinds of warfare being modeled in a future DLC.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I actually think the abstracted war is a good idea and while not implemented perfectly, it suits the game a lot more than micromanagement of troops. you're still organising how they're outfitted and equipped and where to send them and so on, there's enough control to be engaging, but not so much that it becomes impossible to keep track of the rest of the game

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Lostconfused posted:

Radicals don't do anything by themselves. They need to make an organized political movement first. This isn't an anarchism simulator.

you'd figure poorly organized radicals would at least manage a little bit of king killing, just to keep things spicy (and historically accurate!)

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/BadSocialisms/status/1585593056094404610

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

How do I not make Chile fall apart in a decade.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

so far i have really been enjoying victoria 3, i like how abstracted out warfare is, having a front and hoping your generals win feels like a good choice. that said it is kind of annoying that only one battle can happen at a time, like i was at war with the north german federation as russia, i had like 400 battalions deployed across a pretty big front, why are only a few of them engaging at once? anyway i am sure after a few patches and expansions which i will stupidly buy on day 1, this game is going to kick rear end.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

How do I not make Chile fall apart in a decade.

Why are you falling apart? Most countries don't do that unless you actively make the wrong choices.

The easy way out is to join the British customs union. They usually have a stable market that you can carve out a niche in

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Why are you falling apart? Most countries don't do that unless you actively make the wrong choices.

The easy way out is to join the British customs union. They usually have a stable market that you can carve out a niche in

Nevermind I just got into a customs union with GB and that seems to have stabilized basic consumer goods prices.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
I have also entered into a customs union with GB as Chile, but now I have no idea what's going on.

I was using the trade interface to track my domestic consumption through the details tab to check for deficit or surplus.

Now I have no idea what my domestic consumption is. Is this somewhere else?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

This game still sometimes gets weird character poo poo like CK3 does.

I present you the gentlemen general leading the most powerful political organization in the country.

The only thing it gives him though is the ability to change the country from peasant levies to a militia.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I have also entered into a customs union with GB as Chile, but now I have no idea what's going on.

I was using the trade interface to track my domestic consumption through the details tab to check for deficit or surplus.

Now I have no idea what my domestic consumption is. Is this somewhere else?

You just have to live with that since now you're at the mercy of her majesty's market.

Your local consumption doesn't matter since the market will dictate the prices and nobody cares about what someone in America might think a little bit of grain is worth.

But you can still look it up in the detailed sections of a specific commodity.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
If i want to exit the customs union at some point i will have to ensure adequate domestic supply to keep my economy going.

I can see consumption of a given commodity per State but I can't see consumption nation-wide.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Lostconfused posted:

This game still sometimes gets weird character poo poo like CK3 does.

I present you the gentlemen general leading the most powerful political organization in the country.

The only thing it gives him though is the ability to change the country from peasant levies to a militia.

i had the head of the liberal faction have "free marketeer" or something liek that as one of his traits, so i had to wait for him to die in order to get public schools passed so as not to make the extremely large and in-govenrment liberal faction pissed off.

but after that i got a lot of approval for public education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

If i want to exit the customs union at some point i will have to ensure adequate domestic supply to keep my economy going.

I can see consumption of a given commodity per State but I can't see consumption nation-wide.

You can leave the customs union and wing it with trade if you prepare for contingencies. Build up enough port capacity, expand bureaucracy or go free trade first. Chile has a low enough population that basic goods are not difficult to supply.