Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Countblanc posted:

quickplay should be 12 v 12

Also add 2fort as a map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

comedyblissoption posted:

bastion is a character like widow where if every member of your team doesn't respect what they can do and plays cover you'll get owned lol

bastion is probably a total menace until you hit a certain ranking

I only engage with this game in QP now and that's where he's a real issue. I'm not saying "Bastion is OP", I'm saying Bastion is *poo poo design* because he sucks as a character in disorganised play, but everyone wants to play the robot minigun. So that is an absolute null spot on most teams that are doing their QP thing. He also, however, has the ability to burst down any tank in the game if he has a team vaguely supporting him with heals and cover. So that means that matches where that happens aren't even vaguely balanced any more, because people walk out solo in front of him, try to shoot him a couple of times, and then die. And they keep doing that over and over and over because they're trained to QP level where you just straggle into most team fights and it doesn't really matter and sorta heal your tank when they need it, and cover what's that? He sucks to have in the game either way.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

bastion breaks the tank-healer faceroll dynamic because his minigun punches through poo poo extremely effectively and the most effective counters aren't obvious to players learning the game. I feel like as time goes on more and more ranks will learn to shoot the easy hitbox and/or LoS the cooldown. Like ow1 bastion, the lowest ranks will never overcome this, or when they do they're suddenly not the lowest rank any more.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

faantastic posted:

I think the explody bots hit harder than you would expect, two popping near you will kill you. Sigma has to be kited by whoever he's focused. I want to say they'll tone it down a bit on normal difficulty but it took them 3 weeks to put Bastion/Torb back so maybe next year.

Even things like the hero-swap mode are harder, I think because previously you'd keep your entire ult, but now you only save 30%. So there's no way to save ults for when you really need them, you have to just use them ASAP before the swap fucks you.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

it's true that dealing with bastion is kind of like dealing with wow arena cooldowns and that's not great gameplay for anyone

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

At some point you have to decide whether you want to play a game where every character has vastly different playstyles and lots of them 'unfun' abilities that are impossible to balance at every elo, or if you want to play a game where everyone has a medium range assault rifle and some token utility.

Man, I am so burnt out on trying Bride of Junkenstein legendary. I've done all of the other challenges, but this one aint working with pubbies so far.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

dogstile posted:

I'm angrily grumbling that we used to have to learn how to do that from specific spots and that kids these days don't appreciate what they've got.

I made a custom game too specifically figure out the point on ilios lighthouse where i had to charge from main to knock someone off and survive and tbh im happy for the children that they dont have to do this. The mindless suicide charge is still something i mourn but i simply remember the greatest rein suicide pin ive ever seen and feel content. Not me fwiw i was the other rein i just had to go back into the replay to capture this

https://twitter.com/chekovsnunchaku/status/1561574699766689792?t=JVv7FVCn6fuwlKEmiEN8rQ&s=19

The bit where he looks back as if to say "check this out' still makes me smile to this day

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 27, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my greatest rein charge, which i sadly didn't have recorded, was during OW1 beta where i tried to charge a roadhog at the start of the final bridge on anubis, got knocked into the air by whole hog, went sailing between two pillars and nailed some minejumping junkrat midair

a true moment of quantum tunneling that'll never be recreated again

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
You can cancel rein charge now so you can effectively still get the 3k on Busan AND live to tell the tale.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Bastion is fine lol

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

leftist heap posted:

Bastion is fine lol

Lol just D.va right click him and have your whole team shoot him, so easy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The worst character in the game is actually the biggest problem right now

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Zzulu posted:

The worst character in the game is actually the biggest problem right now

wait what did they do to sym?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
There's a ton of charges I really liked, but this one was the first that came to mind.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EnergeticImpartialKangarooNotATK

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

leftist heap posted:

Bastion is fine lol

Sleep dart... Zzzz

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

dogstile posted:

There's a ton of charges I really liked, but this one was the first that came to mind.

https://clips.twitch.tv/EnergeticImpartialKangarooNotATK

lol go meditate over there

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Bastion is fine. He's only dangerous if he hides and waits for your team to walk past and then shoots bullets into your backs or flanks but either way all that requires is a bit of awareness, checking corners etc. If he's directly Infront of 2 of your team he won't win. He's not at all like widow where you have to change your whole teams play-style or comp because she can gank you from any angle from miles away before you realise what's happening and with no danger to herself and so makes support miserable if you have to peek to heal. Give me a bastion on the enemy team over genji, sombra, widow etc

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

i like that every bastion post is "do x and your team..."

like lol that's the problem in scrub lobbies

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The playerbase as a whole has to average way less than a single kill per Bastion ult, right? I've had some luck with it but people haven't figured out how to make it reliable yet

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I don't have nearly enough experience with this to do anything but speculate, but his tank mode is one of the most reliable ways to burst down a tank. If you went all in on enabling this, wouldn't it be pretty effective against the great zarya menace?

Like any time she tries to push, just sit down and burn through bubbles and all with mercy boost and a shield.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

headcase posted:

I don't have nearly enough experience with this to do anything but speculate, but his tank mode is one of the most reliable ways to burst down a tank. If you went all in on enabling this, wouldn't it be pretty effective against the great zarya menace?

Like any time she tries to push, just sit down and burn through bubbles and all with mercy boost and a shield.

the big problem is that it's dependent on him A) getting a clear line of fire with no opportunity for her to get to cover, which is rare, and B) him being protected sufficiently by his team to not get his slow rear end junked in tank mode

i don't think he's unworkable or anything but the way you kill tanks in OW2 is to either kill the supports or sufficiently isolate the tank so that they get no healing. even zarya crumples in seconds if she's isolated with no bubble charges

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Counter picking still exists and everyone has forgot.

Want to beat Zaria? STOP USING TWO AOE HEALERS.

Single target heals is much better at shutting her team down.

Trouble with slow moving bastion?

Window/ash vs 1 shield, easy headshots.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I feel like "just counterpick" isn't really a Thing, since it ignores the execution and knowledge requirements of any given character. Someone who doesn't know how to wall ride effectively or have the tempo of Lucio's projectiles down is probably going to do better as the Baptiste they're much more comfortable with because they used to play a lot of games with hitscan damage and are used to his positioning. Or telling the Moira player to go Ana because nanoblade is busted when said player has no clue how to aim sleep darts or position safely is just going to lead to frustration for everyone involved.

There's definitely some characters who you can swap to with minimal experience and do okay but in general "team needs X, go that or you're throwing" when someone doesn't know how to play X doesn't work

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The game is fundamentally broken anyway until Reinhardt can hammer a Wrecking Ball across the map for a clutch play.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I feel like "just counterpick" isn't really a Thing, since it ignores the execution and knowledge requirements of any given character. Someone who doesn't know how to wall ride effectively or have the tempo of Lucio's projectiles down is probably going to do better as the Baptiste they're much more comfortable with because they used to play a lot of games with hitscan damage and are used to his positioning. Or telling the Moira player to go Ana because nanoblade is busted when said player has no clue how to aim sleep darts or position safely is just going to lead to frustration for everyone involved.

There's definitely some characters who you can swap to with minimal experience and do okay but in general "team needs X, go that or you're throwing" when someone doesn't know how to play X doesn't work

If you know both the difference can be massive.

If I swap Lucio to mercy against a Zaria I can shut her completely down vs starting to lose.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
The biggest problem I have with OW2 currently, in gold at least, is the universal hitscan meta. There are just way too many games with solider/sojourn pairs and there doesn't really feel like much you can do because it's not reasonable to expect your team to swap to a dive comp to counter them.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

abigserve posted:

The biggest problem I have with OW2 currently, in gold at least, is the universal hitscan meta. There are just way too many games with solider/sojourn pairs and there doesn't really feel like much you can do because it's not reasonable to expect your team to swap to a dive comp to counter them.

I'm not allowed to play Pharah anymore and it stinks!

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Scholtz posted:

Also add 2fort as a map

Seeing this reminds me of how CTF in multi-player fps games is dead and gone, when it used to be a staple of the genre. Zoomers will never know the exhilaration of running a flag in the last minute of the match with the whole other team chasing you.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Scholtz posted:

I'm not allowed to play Pharah anymore and it stinks!

OK hear me out

Pharah (buff soldier in highly advanced armor): 200 HP
Mei (scientist, curvy): 250 HP

give Pharah 150 health and 50 armor or like 175/50

(this is a terrible idea)

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Grey Fox posted:

i like that every bastion post is "do x and your team..."

like lol that's the problem in scrub lobbies

This!

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

How's this for an idea to fix Genji and make him not so OP? Remove that right click horizonal spread on his shurikens. That way it takes a lot more skill to land his shots and also he can't just mash right click to confirm kills. He should require the precision of Kiriko imo.

Basically I hate Genji and Genji mains so removing some of his ability to wreck squishy supports would be nice. I'd rather keep his damage for shurikens as is and just make it harder for him to land shots than reduce his damage in a patch anyway. Same way they took out scatter arrow for hanzo. But eh was just a thought after watching a genji on the enemy team secure a massive chunk of his final blows on me through that right click.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If Bastion is so strong that you need your entire team to outplay him in order to win, maybe you should just spam pick him and dominate games until the internal MMR ranks you up high enough to be out of games where players are so bad that Bastion is oppressive.

Just Chamber posted:

How's this for an idea to fix Genji and make him not so OP? Remove that right click horizonal spread on his shurikens. That way it takes a lot more skill to land his shots and also he can't just mash right click to confirm kills. He should require the precision of Kiriko imo.

Basically I hate Genji and Genji mains so removing some of his ability to wreck squishy supports would be nice. I'd rather keep his damage for shurikens as is and just make it harder for him to land shots than reduce his damage in a patch anyway. Same way they took out scatter arrow for hanzo. But eh was just a thought after watching a genji on the enemy team secure a massive chunk of his final blows on me through that right click.

They are already nerfing him, and he is probably gonna be in the dumpster. Just like with OW1.

Sojourn is probably a much bigger problem TBH, and she isn't getting touched for some reason.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the actual fix i'd like for genji is to make his ult worse but changes to ults seem off the table wrt balance for whatever reason. genji's playstyle is so cool and unique and then every 60-90 seconds it just becomes real lame real fast.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Countblanc posted:

the actual fix i'd like for genji is to make his ult worse but changes to ults seem off the table wrt balance for whatever reason. genji's playstyle is so cool and unique and then every 60-90 seconds it just becomes real lame real fast.

His ult by itself ranges from average to bad though. The problem is when his ult is combined with other ults, nano especially. Genji's power level is mostly meta dependent based on how other heroes play, and other players adapt to dive. He is a hard character to nerf because the character's kit itself is very balanced, it revolves around everything else.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Countblanc posted:

Hey, you doing inhouses again? I miss those.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

BabyRyoga posted:

His ult by itself ranges from average to bad though. The problem is when his ult is combined with other ults, nano especially. Genji's power level is mostly meta dependent based on how other heroes play, and other players adapt to dive. He is a hard character to nerf because the character's kit itself is very balanced, it revolves around everything else.

I find that giving genji both my bubbles as zarya makes his blade almost as effective as nano-blade.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

BabyRyoga posted:

i certainly wouldn't be opposed to dumpstering nano boost instead, you wouldn't have to twist my arm for that one

Mister Fister posted:

Hey, you doing inhouses again? I miss those.

probably not, sorry. they were fun but most of my friends aren't playing anymore. if it were easier to automate i'd consider it but getting teams set up was a huge pain in the rear end.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

BabyRyoga posted:

If Bastion is so strong that you need your entire team to outplay him in order to win, maybe you should just spam pick him and dominate games until the internal MMR ranks you up high enough to be out of games where players are so bad that Bastion is oppressive.

You aren't reading what I'm saying, which is not "Bastion is OP", it's "Bastion can break QP in a way no other character does".

Slam picking him isn't a win guarantee, unless your team mates go "Oh better play around the Bastion pick" in which case the map becomes a walkover.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 28, 2022

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
is the new kiriko skin a fortuneteller or witch? because apparently they never told the pve team because all her voicelines there are all about telling fortunes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

SadisTech posted:

You aren't reading what I'm saying, which is not "Bastion is OP", it's "Bastion can break QP in a way no other character does".

Slam picking him isn't a win guarantee, unless your team mates go "Oh better play around the Bastion pick" in which case the map becomes a walkover.

You can argue this about a bunch of different champs though. If the enemy team has a widow, you need to play around sightlines so she doesn't 1-tap you. If you play vs. a junkrat, don't pile into a small corridor. If you play vs. a pharah you are probably going to need some form of long-range hitscan to kill her.

Bastion doesn't break QP any more than he breaks comp. Learn to play around him or how to counter him. Or if he's so broken, embrace the meta and play him.