Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I’m not saying there’s nothing distinguishable about them, but uh

I guess since my interest is premodern and the uncertainties about even the better attested dress in that era way exceed my the differences between those two I have a different baseline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
They're close enough to the same green for me!

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Thanks everyone for the suggestion. I was actually planning on using them in bolt action because its what people around here play and I thought it would be cool to have some variety.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Cessna posted:

If someone had said something about how they were carrying tiny Mosin Nagants instead of AKMs - who cares?

Those mosins could be used for 21st century wargaming, incidentally.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Guest2553 posted:

Those mosins could be used for 21st century wargaming, incidentally.

Historians love to talk about the demotorisation of the Wehrmacht in WW2, but let me tell you about what happens when you sell all of your AKs to the third world in the 90s

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'm pretty sure there are fans of 3dBreed in here, so here's a heads up that the new March to Hell kickstarter is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joinordie/march-to-hell-ww2-africa

Germans/Brits to start, with Italian and French armies as stretch goals.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I'm pretty sure there are fans of 3dBreed in here, so here's a heads up that the new March to Hell kickstarter is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joinordie/march-to-hell-ww2-africa

Germans/Brits to start, with Italian and French armies as stretch goals.

I would like to like these, but my criticism of 3dBreed is that the legs are oddly squashed and look odd seems to be even worse in this kit, especially the models with shorts. The lower legs and feet are just so bad. I don't think any amount of z axis stretch would make them look correct without creating a slenderman.

Luftwaffles
Oct 17, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think a poster in this thread did a series of posts on a really neat Vietnam era 28mm game in which you track the individual squad members and their history in the conflict, almost kind of like RPG or campaign style. I seem to recall the models looked really good! I bet they know some good locations to get figures!

Hey, that was me!

I posted a few more battle reports here:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=131466.0

the moose posted:

Anyone know where i can get 28mm Vietnam style usmc troops? Preferably multi part and not super expensive metal, 3d printable stl also work . Looked like Rubicon had some but I figured I would ask here incase you all knew a better option.

I basically used Empress Miniatures, Gringo40s, and Rubicon plastics for the USMC. I used Empress Miniatures NVA, Empress Miniatures Viet Minh, and Rubicon plastics for the NVA. I am tempted by Full Battle Rattle's Vietnam miniatures, but I have yet to try them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

First regiment of Orphan Brigade done....I actually should have enough bases done soon for Altar of Freedom, just need to do some HQ and Generals.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Those turned out really nice!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I would like to give Black Seas a try, but I am kind of scoffing at paying 40 to 50 bucks for a 1/700 scale Victory. Does anyone have any recommendations for STLs that would work for that scale? I have seen a couple different renders from various shops, but interested if anyone has printed out stuff that matches the detail the Black Seas kits have.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would like to give Black Seas a try, but I am kind of scoffing at paying 40 to 50 bucks for a 1/700 scale Victory. Does anyone have any recommendations for STLs that would work for that scale? I have seen a couple different renders from various shops, but interested if anyone has printed out stuff that matches the detail the Black Seas kits have.

I'm forever a Henry Turner stan, and this model is really nice:

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-british-1st-rate-hms-victory-104-guns-pre-refit-162993

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ok, glad you recommended them. I had seen them, but not any of the printed ones, must have been looking at the different models, and the blank grey STLs they have on the store don't seem to do it justice compared to the finished products.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's worth looking on facebook if a producer has a group or a page. FB sucks rear end but it's just the default social hub for some reason. I know Henry Turner has a pretty active one with lots of user submitted painted examples.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Now if I could just find some Project 7 destroyers....

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

A friend from work gave me a sprue of old-style Bolt Action infantry and god drat, I can see why people hated these things. I knew about having to glue the individual weapons into hands, but helmets on heads?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Could be worse. Star Wars Legion has a lot of troops with multi-part heads.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

A friend from work gave me a sprue of old-style Bolt Action infantry and god drat, I can see why people hated these things. I knew about having to glue the individual weapons into hands, but helmets on heads?

If it's a sprue, that means plastic glue works, so what's the problem?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Pierzak posted:

If it's a sprue, that means plastic glue works, so what's the problem?

The early Bolt Action plastics were just not good over all. IT doesn't help that they are plastic if the fits are just plain bad. Also the plastic had some weird thing going on where normal plastic glue just didn't bond as well as for most plastic.

I got a box of the early British Commandos on a "3 for 2 boxes" deal at the FLGS many years ago. I tried putting together a few of them before I just gave up in disgust. The backpacks, arms and heads just kept falling off.

E; their first German box also had some really bad fits.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Also trying to figure out which arms will fit with which weapons is a nightmare.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I’m not super worried about it, since I’m just gonna use the torsos and arms for Zona Alfa kitbashes. It’s just very funny coming from the newer sprue I have with guns in hands.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

As a break from painting major projects I've been just picking random stuff on a whim from my pile of shame to paint.

This week I painted this Afrika Korps 88mm

And this squad of Hungarians.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Demoed some Chain of Command and I think I got some folks hooked. We'll see!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Bit of buying question - I'm hopping into TY after playing with some friends models - I'm thinking of getting 2x T-80 Shock Starters to give me a good amount of each options so I can take medium to full size units. Is this a decent idea? I'm thinking then of adding the TOS-1s, Tunguska/Shilka and some infantry to round out a starter. Are PSC 15mm Soviets better than the Battlefront ones?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Buying two of those starters would get you:
10 T-80s
4 Hinds,
4 BMP-3s
4 Gophers
6 of the little ATGM car guys that I don't remember the name of.

The issue is that you won't ever use 10 T-80s in one list. 10 T-80s are 88 points, while a standard game is 100 points. You also can't take more than three of the ATGM guys in one list. Buying two of these starters isn't great value.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Does it not allow to also make the bdrm scouts too? I can't see a way to not end up with 10 T80 because a second box is another 5 and I usually seem to have around 6-7 in a list.

E: Though saying that, you end up with 4 BDRM2s and 2 Spandrels. Hmm. They're definitely the clunky part there.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 24, 2022

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I just picked up O Group and man I hope this flows better on the table than it does reading it. The guy's writing style is just overly verbose and needlessly complicated and repetitive, and I hope you like consulting charts because there's like 20 in this drat game. I dunno, I think my brain has just gotten lazy after the simplicity and cleanliness of the Osprey blue series and Sam Mustafa books.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Springfield Fatts posted:

I just picked up O Group and man I hope this flows better on the table than it does reading it. The guy's writing style is just overly verbose and needlessly complicated and repetitive, and I hope you like consulting charts because there's like 20 in this drat game. I dunno, I think my brain has just gotten lazy after the simplicity and cleanliness of the Osprey blue series and Sam Mustafa books.

This is basically all the TooFatLardies / Reissweitz rules. Thankfully the ones I've played (Chain of Command, Sharp Practice) are really fun...but they are just horrifically laid out and edited.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

alg posted:

This is basically all the TooFatLardies / Reissweitz rules. Thankfully the ones I've played (Chain of Command, Sharp Practice) are really fun...but they are just horrifically laid out and edited.

Yeah the rules are in general built on a really clever and engaging engine, then described in a slightly difficult way with rules on one topic spread out over several chapters.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I mean I should of expected something like this since I skimmed General d'Armee and just went gently caress that. I'm not completely dumb (yet) but the guy uses nota bene in bold... sometimes... to preface highlighted concepts, except sometimes not when they get their own Important! paragraph which muddles the whole deal, coming off as a Don't Do What Donny Don't Does situation.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

How well would O Group work as 1:1 in 6mm?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Pretty well. Your basic force is this:
  • Battalion Commander stand (optional)
  • x3 Company Commander stands
  • x3 Infantry Companies comprised of x9 Platoons (stands) each
Infantry support / guns / AFVs are obfuscated into Companies of Troops where each Troop is a stand. You'll only ever have like three troops per company max.

I hosed up and thought each Company of infantry was 3 stands like in Crossfire, so it turns out I have a shitload more guys to paint to meet minimum force requirements.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A whole platoon in 6mm would be interesting for a single stand. You could probably go with Flames of War bases and cram a lot of tiny dudes on there.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

lilljonas posted:

Yeah the rules are in general built on a really clever and engaging engine, then described in a slightly difficult way with rules on one topic spread out over several chapters.

I've definitely bounced off a few, trying to sort out how it works. I don't suppose someone who understands the game (CoC) who is good at rules editing feels like reformatting it, do they?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You can always watch someone explain it, or watch a few games. Somethings hinky, so I can't link a YouTube search result. "chain of command wargame" will turn up several.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I always, always lol at how defensive Clarke gets when people say just do a 2nd edition. The faq pdf is like 30 pages ffs.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The FAQs aren't even good, either. Half the time, he doesn't answer the question. Or he answers with a weird example that doesn't explain anything. Literally every person who reads Sharp Practice and plays it has to have directing fire explained because it doesn't make any sense in the book. And I understand that its a historical game made to be played between friends, but it doesn't hurt at all to hire an editor.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

a lot of old british game designers use that same point as a crutch. "it's a gentleman's game meant to be played between two people who know the era!", "rules lawyers not welcome!". yeah. but you're making a commercial product and the presentation sucks rear end

echoing the above poster who says they're spoiled by sam Mustafa. i'm an engineer and i appreciate good technical writing, and sams books are excellent

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

a lot of old british game designers use that same point as a crutch.

Lotta young ones as well. It's gotta be something societal, or cultural, this aversion to editors the British have.

BTW, I'd love to see a counterpoint, someone British with good clear technical writing, and a sane approach to errata/editions. Because I'm wracking my brain going over miniature wargame rules I know well and checking nationalities on BGG and I'm coming up zilch so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

alg posted:

The FAQs aren't even good, either. Half the time, he doesn't answer the question. Or he answers with a weird example that doesn't explain anything. Literally every person who reads Sharp Practice and plays it has to have directing fire explained because it doesn't make any sense in the book. And I understand that its a historical game made to be played between friends, but it doesn't hurt at all to hire an editor.

We finally understood how hits are properly divided between teams in a section in CoC (and how important it is) after we started playing SP2, where the equivalent mechanic is explained better. :P We just piled shock on the section until it broke.

CoC is the wargame I know that both deserves a second edition the most, and also needs a second edition the most.

Sam Mustafa is indeed somewhere in the much appreciated middle ground. The other extreme example is the legalese of DBA, where the rules descriptions were so precise that the majority of players used a fan-made complete re-written version (which was three times as thick!) to be able to comprehend them.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Oct 28, 2022