Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

With Fireteam. It's a really good drunk game I'm finding out. I've been playing demolisher almost exclusively but I did the technician last night and it was fun. But I started on the beginning levels. I still have the last level of the last campaign to beat. Then I think there is another DLC one or something.

did you complete it yet? (the DLC) even on insane difficulty its extremely hard. the last one so much so that you pretty much need a phalanx to cheese it

i haven't even dared to try ramping it up from insane yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I did finish the last mission finally. I've been going through the next difficultly mode up now but I always forget what campaign mission I'm on so I just jump around.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Might play again soon.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
lag was really bad when i tried anything earlier tonight

anyway have this :nws:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Which end goes in first?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Good a time as any to post this, i guess

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i mean i guess u just shrug and say 'i like to keep this handy for close encounters'

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

HiroProtagonist posted:

lag was really bad when i tried anything earlier tonight

anyway have this :nws:

That's not a chestburster that's a poo poo weasel from Dreamcatcher

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Young Freud posted:

That's not a chestburster that's a poo poo weasel from Dreamcatcher

You are higher than giraffe tits. It's got little fuckin' arms and everything.

e: Lol. Nevermind.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
Aliens adjacent, but has anyone played a game called Scorn? It's just been released, and the environment design is an amazing blend of Giger and Beksinski.

I was really hoping the devs slipped in a Jockey easter egg, but alas. Anyways, watching a playthrough of that game got me thinking about Aliens.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I can't play horror games. F.E.A.R. is the last one I remember playing that I made it through (very good game). That was like 15 years ago. Fireteam is just fine but I was screaming half the time playing AvP 2010 with goons. That one was a bit scarier.

I have Isolation and played like 30 minutes of it. Can't do it. After that I'd just watch other poor saps play it on twitch when I was laying in bed for the night.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fall Dog posted:

Aliens adjacent, but has anyone played a game called Scorn? It's just been released, and the environment design is an amazing blend of Giger and Beksinski.

I was really hoping the devs slipped in a Jockey easter egg, but alas. Anyways, watching a playthrough of that game got me thinking about Aliens.

I really want to play it but I lack an Xbox Series X :sigh:

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

I can't play horror games. F.E.A.R. is the last one I remember playing that I made it through (very good game). That was like 15 years ago. Fireteam is just fine but I was screaming half the time playing AvP 2010 with goons. That one was a bit scarier.

I have Isolation and played like 30 minutes of it. Can't do it. After that I'd just watch other poor saps play it on twitch when I was laying in bed for the night.

Scorn really isn't very scary (so far, I haven't finished it) just eerie and a bit unsettling.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Xenomrph posted:

It has crossplay, so you could play on PC. I think you could also play on like any device that can run the Xbox app on windows because it works via XCloud game streaming. I think you need gamepass ultimate for the cloud streaming, but they usually have a trail for 3- days for $1

it actually works pretty well on streaming, I take breaks from work to just blast aliens with the smart gun

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 24, 2022

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Xenomrph posted:

Captain Beans posted:

because it works via XCloud game streaming.

If you have an xbone, you can still play it if you have gamepass through the xcloud thing. It's a weird game.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
wow I didn't realize the Xcloud stuff worked back a gen as well, thats cool. I think all games launched through Xcloud streaming are playing the Xbox Series X version of the game streamed to you. kind of funny you can virtually play an Xbox Series X on your Xbox One

I know they are trying to make it run just on a browser window so it can run right on TVs and stuff but I don't think that is out yet. neat stuff

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7157607126494367019

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Scorn looks really cool but I can't do horror games very well.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

No shame in leaving Isolation right there and never touching it again. I've tried playing it 3-4 times, which to my credit, I've gotten just a bit further each time. But then I find one more thing that scares the absolute shite out of me and I just can't do it.

Nope.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

OB-GYN Kenobi posted:

No shame in leaving Isolation right there and never touching it again. I've tried playing it 3-4 times, which to my credit, I've gotten just a bit further each time. But then I find one more thing that scares the absolute shite out of me and I just can't do it.

Nope.

I watched a playthrough of it and I'd love a "Sevastopol Touring Simulator" where you could just walk around and check the station out without fear of getting your head crunched, but otherwise it's a big "noooooooooope" from me. Pity, because it looks amazing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big same from me. Just knowing it's in there freaks me out with anticipation. Which is a shame since the virtual environment is incredible.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think I lost the stomach for it. I've played through the game probably three times already but for some reason the last time I fired it up I got way too anxious and panicky around the Working Joes. And the sound design is so good in the game that powering on generators and stuff is also really nerve-wracking.

Maybe it's time to give it another shot. I finally finished Stray after putting it down for a similar reason - the cat dying is just way too upsetting.

There are definitely some periods of calm station exploring in Isolation, of course they're brief and you have to get there first. Fortunately the game also has some mercy on you by rarely having the Xenomorph AND the Working Joes on you at the same time.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Probably gonna play Fireteam again later.

Same Steam name.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I was thoroughly traumatized by Alien when I was ten, and I rarely felt that kind of sheer terror while playing any of the AvP games.

But Isolation perfectly captures that feel. When I first got it I’d come home from work, open a beer and vape some medicinal marijuana, and play it in a completely dark room, wearing headphones.

I remember so many nights, starting at the Medical level, there were times when I’d have to pause the game to get up and walk around, and my hands would be literally shaking. My heart racing.

It took me two and a half evenings to make it through the Medical part, because I simply could not stop myself from fleeing in terror into a locker.

Once in there I’d attempt to steel myself, open the locker and take a few steps out. Then often I’d hear the beast jump down from a vent and immediately turn around and haul rear end back into the locker, where I would stay, just paralyzed with fear.

I had completely avoided spoilers for the game, hadn’t read any posts here or watched any videos or read any reviews. So the first time the creature ripped open the locker and snatched me out, I thought I was going to have a heart attack.

The alien starting to grab me out of lockers and starting to look under tables and desks for me was the only thing that got me moving through Medical. Eventually I learned that this is the whole key— just keep moving.

Today I can get through medical pretty quickly (for the most part, depending on difficulty level), but I’ll never forget that first experience.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg7QOpTRmyk

This is kinda cool. search didn't pull if up so I assume it hasn't been posted

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
For me Isolation has the same problem as pretty much every "immersive" game released in forever - scared, scared, creepy, scared, scared, crafting mechanic introduced, annoyed, annoyed, frustrated, annoyed

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Isolation is neat but i never finished it. Good time for a replay maybe

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Isolation is one of the few times I thought a game was too long by half. I could have used catharsis and denouement after about 6 hours of that kind of gameplay but it just keeps going.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

AFewBricksShy posted:

If you have an xbone, you can still play it if you have gamepass through the xcloud thing. It's a weird game.

So if I have an Xbone and GamePass, how does streaming it work? What do I do?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Go to game pass, find the game. I’m pretty sure if you try to install it, it says you can’t but will then let you play it through the cloud. I already have it in my collection so I can’t remember exactly how to do it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Owlbear Camus posted:

Isolation is one of the few times I thought a game was too long by half. I could have used catharsis and denouement after about 6 hours of that kind of gameplay but it just keeps going.

No way! I thought it was the perfect length, if the ending was a bit silly (I'm talking about the whole part where you actually get kidnapped and cocooned; your escape is extremely tenuous and it's obvious they just had to shoehorn that part into the game). Most of the other plot points where you think you've got an ally to work with or refuge to find, are IMO all laid out very believably.

Splicer posted:

For me Isolation has the same problem as pretty much every "immersive" game released in forever - scared, scared, creepy, scared, scared, crafting mechanic introduced, annoyed, annoyed, frustrated, annoyed

I get this, but I don't usually play survival horror games so basically all of it was novel to me. I agree that the crafting stuff was tedious and could have been streamlined.

On my first playthrough I totally missed the Medkit blueprint and went almost the entire game with nearly zero health, until I got frustrated by some environental hazard killing me, looked it up online and backtracked the entire way to find the blueprint.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Playing Fireteam again right now.

Hit me up Marines!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Playing Fireteam again right now.

Hit me up Marines!

Literally stop starting to play an hour after my bedtime

This is three times now! Assholes and elbows!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I had to watch a no talk/no commentary stream of Isolation to get through it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

chainchompz posted:

I had to watch a no talk/no commentary stream of Isolation to get through it.

Honestly, I like the talking during it because it makes me feel less alone and not too absorbed into it.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Play the game. If you like the '79 film, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I finished Alien Isolation while wearing Sennheiser studio headphones.

It’ll be awhile before I’m calm enough to replay it.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I know second of these non-Lego sets doesn't look exactly like the power loader suit from Aliens, but it looks so close that I figured I'd post a link.

https://www.menards.com/main/grocer...632-c-12327.htm

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:confused:

Thin blue line anime robot?

edit: oh, the second pic is what you are describing, but the other one isn't either. Probably because Menards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
There's two different ones under the same listing, so maybe it doesn't show up.

MIght be a better image