Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I haven’t read the weekly threads since Mox won the title again and it’s been a nice break from the same handwringing doomsaying poo poo week after week (the people doing it sincerely, not the obvious jokes).

I might not even come back when he loses it to MJF next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Hausu Usher posted:

I wasn't posting in PSP when the Cornette thread was created, but I gathered from context clues it was because the regular thread didn't want those opinions talked about on the AEW thread every week which created the containment.

I was a regular lurker/poster on the AEW thread when the ratings chat was complained about every week which I believe (and I may be wrong here) basically paved the way for your thread. That's my understanding of how that came about, as I said I may be wrong. Your thread obviously has loads of commendable effort posting in it and I'm not comparing the topics, but the function of it is containment which is where I drew the parallels to the other containment thread and, now, the CM Punk thread.

I hope that makes it clearer.

1. The containment of ratings and business chat away from the main discussion thread is, frankly, a very secondary reason that the thread exists. I made the thread because I found the subject of AEW's TV deal and the Warner-Discovery merger and how the latter affected the former very interesting and at the very quick pace the main discussion thread moves, both in the sense of day-to-day discussion and how the discussion starts over every week and is mostly focused on the actual on-screen product, it was very difficult to get any kind of focused long-term discussion on what AEW's next TV deal might look like without repeating the same talking points over and over (which I think is a main reason ratings chat and TV deal chat annoyed people - it kept starting over from square one and never evolved or deepened past that). Also, when it became about ratings, it became a point to have all of the weekly ratings and all of the weekly quarter hours in one place that could be easily accessible so that the people who were interested in that kinda thing could easily examine and discuss patterns, recurring trends, etc.

2. Grouping all of the containment threads together in one place seems....very backwards to me? Because then they're not containing anything anymore, all the different subjects are running into each other and the sense of focused discussion is lost.

I don't see what the problem is with AEW having five threads or whatever. It's probably the most discussed thing on this subforum by both post volume and number of unique posters, it having a few dedicated threads to spin off stuff so the same points won't be repeated in the main discussion thread over and over doesn't seem like a big deal to me. We payin' by the thread now, or somethin'?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the escape goat posted:

do people not know how to use the ignore function? it rules. it makes the AEW weekly thread way better. Yeah it sucks that ignored posters still show up in quotes but they’re easy to scroll by.

just quoting this for anyone who can't see it

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

just quoting this for anyone who can't see it

I have the escape goat on ignore, so thanks for making this visible for me.

I don't really have anyone on ignore, don't worry escape goat, you did not upset me in the past. Personally when I think I'm about to see a post I don't like I just scroll past it and when I do read a post I don't like I just move on, it's not that hard really, but sometimes conversations full with those can be a bit annoying. No ignore list is gonna fix this. At that point I just bow out and wait for a bit and then jump to the most recent page. I'm not locked in here with the other posters, after all. My system might require some decision making but it's pretty good, I think.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

IGgy IGsen posted:

I have the escape goat on ignore, so thanks for making this visible for me.

Oh now I get it

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ratings was a contentious topic in the wwe thread years ago too. Some people just dont like them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The AEW Numbers thread is really good.

Anyway what I need out of PSP is someone to notify me when a New Japan show is starting but also to not in an intrusive way. Also this person has to not be inconvenienced by this at all. Also let’s not talk to each other so I don’t get anxiety.

I wish there was a twitter or discord bot or something

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Rick posted:

The AEW Numbers thread is really good.

Anyway what I need out of PSP is someone to notify me when a New Japan show is starting but also to not in an intrusive way. Also this person has to not be inconvenienced by this at all. Also let’s not talk to each other so I don’t get anxiety.

There's a Google calendar you can subscribe to at the bottom of this page

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

IGgy IGsen posted:

I don't really have anyone on ignore, don't worry escape goat, you did not upset me in the past. Personally when I think I'm about to see a post I don't like I just scroll past it and when I do read a post I don't like I just move on, it's not that hard really, but sometimes conversations full with those can be a bit annoying. No ignore list is gonna fix this. At that point I just bow out and wait for a bit and then jump to the most recent page. I'm not locked in here with the other posters, after all. My system might require some decision making but it's pretty good, I think.

it's pretty simple yeah

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tarnop posted:

There's a Google calendar you can subscribe to at the bottom of this page

Sweet, thank you!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dont have anyone on ignore except for that one coupon goon who broke the forums and radium placed him on a bunch of posters ignore lists to patch the problem

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i shouldn't have said a lot of things about my ignore list and vaguely discussed the two members of it. i personally was really pulling the thread from an interesting sidetrack into weirdness. i want to say let's all avoid the tedium unless it's me. no need for new forums or much of anything.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 28, 2022

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
people are gonna react to AEW news in the AEW thread. sounds like some folks are just tired of the news cycle and maybe don't consider a lot of these unfolding events to be "news", but the ignore function isn't gonna help with that. not that it's needed, the thread's been pretty great, can't understand anyone who doesn't read the top weekly thread on the forum.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
For the record, I personally don't consider the ignore function a good solution to anything because I may dislike someone's posts on one specific subject but find them to be very cool and good and funny on literally everything outside of that one subject.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rick posted:

I need this but for TJPW :(

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Rarity posted:

TJPW always has rad stuff going on at such an odd schedule that I basically use the TDE twitter account as an alert system since they’re shockingly on the ball with so many promotions. (and a great .gif resource to boot)

https://twitter.com/tde_gif/status/1585792163396276224?s=46&t=mgAYNGmB5ygmXnumApuQxw

ETA:
just realized my only real contributions to the thread have been “I want goons to remember and realize that you can ignore and scroll” so for actual content:
I think the mods are generally really on the ball with a timely “cut it out” and a sixer for folks who won’t, but it does seem like the lot of us can go slightly feral for pages at a time on a specific topic and dogpile someone who tries to course-correct our collective Derangement Syndrome onto a fun discussion again.

this is more of a general question than a feedback request since I’m still new-ish to PSP-
has that kind of posting always been a thing here or has it just sorta developed since AEW started?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

There's a TJPW show tomorrow. 4:30am start. Most TJPW shows have an awful start time for those of us in Europe

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Most TJPW shows have an awful start time for those of us in Europe

:negative:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

the same handwringing doomsaying poo poo week after week (the people doing it sincerely, not the obvious jokes)
Which boils down to the exact same impression after a while.

I've started kinda wondering why we even have weekly threads anymore, because it seems like the same uninterrupted discussion on whatever the hot backstage issue of the day is occasionally bookmarked by a brief flash of "Dynamite was good". It's a bit disheartening sometimes to come in from the Eurozone after watching Dynamite and realize the thread's already moved on to some backstage news or back to the ones that dominated the last 10 pages of the previous thread. Backstage being the operative word here I think, I'd really like to talk more about the current storylines and stuff but it seems like the threads don't even need those or the weekly shows to exist and could happily sustain themselves with just news and ratings and business talk. Though on the other hand I also fully realize that a) for the vast majority of y'all the shows are a synchronous event and b) wrestling storylines don't exactly need 10 pages of posts and a lit degree to sort out.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

:justpost: about the storylines/things you want to discuss in the discussion thread. People will either have other things to add or that topic will die out, but the discussion thread is usually discussing a couple of things concurrently (like right now aside from the backstage Punk stuff people are talking about the Omega/Christian storyline from last year!). Or I guess you could try a fully kayfabe PWI Postzone™️ thread, but those seem to die out pretty quickly.

blunt fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 28, 2022

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Personally I would be down for more literary analysis. Give me essays about how Cody Rhodes's journey is analogous to the struggles of America's manufacturing industries, I will lap that poo poo up

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Rarity posted:

Personally I would be down for more literary analysis. Give me essays about how Cody Rhodes's journey is analogous to the struggles of America's manufacturing industries, I will lap that poo poo up

There's a podcast I really like called Citations Needed that had a special last week talking wrestling with Brandi Collins-Dexter (author of Black Skinhead: Reflections on Blackness and Our Political Future) - I've timestamped the analysis of Dusty's hard times promo (and the conversation moves on to analyse differences between his American Dream persona vs. the "Common Man" of WWE) and it sounds like you'd enjoy, and maybe what would be posted on an analysis thread! The podcast is brilliant, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTddwQ21c4&t=4354s

edit: I notice Brandi's mic cuts out on the YT feed a fair bit, there's no such issue on the podcast episode if you want a better listening experience, you can find the podcast in the usual places.

The Hausu Usher fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Oct 28, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Rarity posted:

I like this stuff too.

I also like the weekly threads. In part because I like the threads starting with the summary of dynamite, but also in part because I think it helps keep the forum fresh.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think I kind of bounce back and forth on containment threads. For something like Cornette, it makes sense because he's a true moron and not everybody wants to see or discuss his idiocy (like why we have a regular social thread, then an idiots social thread). I would say, if the Punk discussion and derails continue after everything is settled then maybe a standalone thread to discuss The Rise and Fall of CM Punk would be fine. Currently, Punk news is still technically AEW news until he's no longer working there. I really do see arguments both ways, though.

Also, I guess if you're in the thread and want to talk about something other than CM Punk, post about something other than CM Punk? I feel like the thread is generally able to divert to another topic if it's more interesting than running something into the ground, but it would also be nice to not run things into the ground in the first place.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I'll plug my dead effort post thread Wrestling Guides Thread: Effort Post Your Faves, if people really want a place to do long form stuff but don't know where to put it.

Eventually, I'll write my posts on Colt Cabana's 2019 in NJPW, a weird run that was ended very abruptly by the pandemic but left us with the indelible image of him awkwardly standing with the major NJPW faces as NJPW said good bye to Tiger Hattori.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

fez_machine posted:

I'll plug my dead effort post thread Wrestling Guides Thread: Effort Post Your Faves, if people really want a place to do long form stuff but don't know where to put it.

Eventually, I'll write my posts on Colt Cabana's 2019 in NJPW, a weird run that was ended very abruptly by the pandemic but left us with the indelible image of him awkwardly standing with the major NJPW faces as NJPW said good bye to Tiger Hattori.

I used to write about wrestling on my little blog that nobody read (except for one very popular post about how to sign up for Stardom World before they redesigned the website), maybe I should start doing that again. Don't know if I was particularly good at it but I did enjoy it and I've had an idea for a post about the top 5 wrestlers named after modes of transportation that I never got back to.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is one of them A-Train?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Freight train

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I keep thinking of doing a long form retrospective review of AEW from the beginning once they hit give years but all of the current drama makes it feel like a good time to start too.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Rarity posted:

Is one of them A-Train?

There's a Train, but he's made of Ice instead of A

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

The Hausu Usher posted:

There's a podcast I really like called Citations Needed that had a special last week talking wrestling with Brandi Collins-Dexter (author of Black Skinhead: Reflections on Blackness and Our Political Future) - I've timestamped the analysis of Dusty's hard times promo (and the conversation moves on to analyse differences between his American Dream persona vs. the "Common Man" of WWE) and it sounds like you'd enjoy, and maybe what would be posted on an analysis thread! The podcast is brilliant, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTddwQ21c4&t=4354s

edit: I notice Brandi's mic cuts out on the YT feed a fair bit, there's no such issue on the podcast episode if you want a better listening experience, you can find the podcast in the usual places.

this is delightful, thank you!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Citations Needed is an excellent pod and also I won a tote bag in that ep

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

There's a TJPW show tomorrow. 4:30am start. Most TJPW shows have an awful start time for those of us in Europe

Japan is 3 or 4 hours behind where I live, depending on what time of year it is. Not as inconvenient for us as it is for you Eurolads, but gently caress me, it makes staying up during a show in Japan real challenge - especially when it's one of the big'uns like Wrestle Kingdom.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Tweak posted:

Citations Needed is an excellent pod

It's the only podcast I listen to

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Power Windows posted:

It's the only podcast I listen to

citation needed

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

JOHN CENA posted:

citation needed

That's a different podcast

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Which can be frustrating

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Power Windows posted:

Which can be frustrating

You got a source on that?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I am wondering if maybe we should stop the Meltzer tweets in the weekly threads? It seems like 60% of his "scoops" are pure speculation and just make the discourse worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

do you have any examples?