Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah I'm mostly confused by AMLO as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

i say swears online posted:

yeah I'm mostly confused by AMLO as well

There seems to be a general warming of the relationship between the two countries. AMLO announced Biden will visit Mexico city along Trudeau in December. Maybe this is also part of the same?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nucleic Acids posted:

Why wouldn’t it?

Do they speak Latin there?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Nucleic Acids posted:

Why wouldn’t it?

Because they speak French? I honestly don't think I've ever encountered the term applied to Francophones before, but apparently it is.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
There’s also French Guiana, which is latin américa too, even though is not independent

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

There's no one definition of Latin America in use. The only logical definition would be the Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries in Central and South America, but sometimes it's used for all of South America and the Caribbean. Why yes, Rihanna is a Latin American :dumb:

See also how Middle East extends from Morocco to Pakistan...

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, French is a Latinate language... :can:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
As far as I know, portuguese, spanish, italian, romanian and french are all considered latin languages.

edit: so I guess if Italy or Romania ever had colonies here, they would be part of latin america too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 26, 2022

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nenonen posted:

There's no one definition of Latin America in use. The only logical definition would be the Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries in Central and South America, but sometimes it's used for all of South America and the Caribbean. Why yes, Rihanna is a Latin American :dumb:

See also how Middle East extends from Morocco to Pakistan...

Why is it “logical” to exclude the Spanish and French speaking countries in the Caribbean

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Elias_Maluco posted:

As far as I know, portuguese, spanish, italian, romanian and french are all considered latin languages.

edit: so I guess if Italy or Romania ever had colonies here, they would be part of latin america too

Also Latin rites, since they were majorly settled by Catholic states.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
There is no reason for this thread to define the term Latin America on the basis of two languages alone so that it excludes discussion of the Caribbean and US policy towards it generally, and Haiti specifically.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought the point of the term Latin America was just to consolidate Spanish and Portuguese under one label, and also there's that French colony still on the continent that conveniently fit into the definition so that it'd be comprehensive. People are often split on the Caribbean, since it's geographically separate from the continent, but where else are you going to put Cuba when talking about its context with the rest of the world? I don't hear many people talking about the political context of the other islands at all, so whether or not they count (especially the English ones) never really comes up. And I don't really know anything about Guyana or Suriname.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quebecois are Latin American

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quebecois are Latin American

Philippines became Latin American in 1898

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1585260919197954048

https://mobile.twitter.com/dancohen3000/status/1585291178966122498

lol

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

I’m surprised Biden realized this and didn’t just barrel on ahead like nothing had changed.

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 27, 2022

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I'm sure they realize a unilateral invasion of a sovereign, neighboring country would destroy their credibility with regards to opposing Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

If that war wasn't going on America would be going Grenada on Haiti right now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I also imagine that the US can't get a coalition going is less because people think Haiti should be sovereign and more that COVID and Ukraine have put too much pressure on the usual US allies for them to want to commit troops and political capital to invade another country.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Marenghi posted:

I'm sure they realize a unilateral invasion of a sovereign, neighboring country would destroy their credibility with regards to opposing Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

With whom?

Having a hard time imagining someone who still thinks US war planners are credible good faith actors and whose mind would be changed by one more invasion of Haiti.

E: probably has more to do with domestic US politics and Biden being afraid of being blamed for more dead young Americans in the news, so he's only interested in new foreign adventures if he can convince other countries to do the dying

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 28, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

maybe we just plum ran out of bullets and can't do it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So uh, big day for Brazil?

I hear it's not going well.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

police wildin' out but i think they're going to keep the polls open later to compensate

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/AndrewDFish/status/1586780145498656770

welp

https://twitter.com/tomphillipsin/status/1586790307684929538

no extensions, only barricades

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
So I'm assuming that Lula will be found dead in an apparent suicide in the next couple of days?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

So I'm assuming that Lula will be found dead in an apparent suicide in the next couple of days?

while he may have almost died like thirty times, bolso is pretty young. it's smarter for him to just run again in a few years instead of blowing it all up

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bolso is known for his rational, calculating demeanor yes.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mans posted:

Bolso is known for his rational, calculating demeanor yes.

i'll make like $3000 if there's a coup, just covering my bases

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/vinncent/status/1586847854907244545?s=46&t=TceG-lrnnurwb0Z2vcQltg

One hurdle crossed, at least.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Thank God.

I hope Bolsonaro goes away forever but life isn’t good like that

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Considering his health is at "shits through his nose" levels, it's not outside the realm of possibilities that Lula might outlive him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

a pipe smoking dog posted:

he wasn't murdered last time and the military doesn't seem to like Bolsonaro all that much because he's a moron who makes their job harder, so maybe slow your roll and appreciate something good

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1586864856694677506

the woke cia undermining tribune of the people jair bolsonaro

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

he wasn't murdered last time and the military doesn't seem to like Bolsonaro all that much because he's a moron who makes their job harder, so maybe slow your roll and appreciate something good

Yeah, the one weird trick to dealing with cops is to get the military on your side, cops won't get near anyone who'll shoot back.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Good riddance *fingers crossed*

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Terrifying that the vote was so close, honestly. Massive congratulations to Lula. Nice to see the left winning elections in LatAm recently.

I think that the actual population supporting Lula is probably a few % higher, no? I've seen numbers thrown around that at least several million people are unable to vote due to illiteracy and they would almost certainly be for him

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Tosk posted:

Terrifying that the vote was so close, honestly. Massive congratulations to Lula. Nice to see the left winning elections in LatAm recently.

I think that the actual population supporting Lula is probably a few % higher, no? I've seen numbers thrown around that at least several million people are unable to vote due to illiteracy and they would almost certainly be for him

There's also the fact that the army was out in the streets intimidating voters in pro-Lula areas.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Queering Wheel posted:

There's also the fact that the army was out in the streets intimidating voters in pro-Lula areas.

any info on that? I only saw the police roadblocks

Tosk posted:

many countries have ballots that don't require literacy, unlike the US, with candidate photos and party logos displayed

fnox
May 19, 2013

many countries have ballots that don't require literacy, unlike the US, with candidate photos and party logos displayed

Yeah but they can't read the buttons or the instructions required to correctly vote and not have your vote annulled. This is generally mitigated through assisted voting, which just about every Latin American constitution has.

The only specific caveat about Brazil that I can think of is that voting isn't compulsory for the illiterate, whereas it is for everyone over 18 and under 70. But I believe you actually can vote if you're illiterate, legally speaking.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
https://twitter.com/facha_hours/status/1586856224221454337

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Tosk posted:

I was also bummed that even after loving EGREGIOUS corruption and evil bungling (guy literally slams 100 years of secrecy on everything surrounding his family's dealing, and his family, who have only ever been politicians, owns more than 100 properties), it was all down to 1.3% difference.

But having the machinery of government in hand makes a HUGE difference in Brazil. Bozo went all out, even doing things he spent the last 3 years saying were impossible or not his job (slashing gas prices), sending more aid checks, forcing retirees to the polls to register in the system so they can keep receiving their benefits. His allied business ghouls were stopping work shifts to tell their workers that they would be fired in Lula won, and posting videos about it. All of those things are electoral crimes, but the Electoral Courts have been utterly hollowed out, and not by accident.

I'm nervous about his continued silence, though. This fucker has ALWAYS doubled down, and never lost or paid a price, in 30 years. He's either planning to skip the country, or trying to coordinate with trucker barons and such to cause chaos and block roads (which is already starting) and create a crisis he can somehoe juggle in his favor.