Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hope Civvie does Half Life 2 before or at Christmas this year.

Then again, I could go for another Christmas ROTT video, but what else is there to cover there?

Unless someone at Embracer surprise announces a holiday release of "ROTT 13 Remastered And Actually Done This Time" I don't think there's anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ROTT Ludicrous Edition will bring a new episode, but that's not due until next year.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Their hunk of poo poo can’t reliably hit 30fps on a top spec console and runs like rear end on PC. I don’t buy that this is the fault of the Lesser Xbox because their last game had the same drat problem. I think it’s firmly a “them” issue that a lot of their competitors don’t share.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 26, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tiny Timbs posted:

Their hunk of poo poo can’t reliably hit 30fps on a top spec console and runs like rear end on PC. I don’t buy that this is the fault of the Lesser Xbox because their last game had the same drat problem. I think it’s firmly a “them” issue that a lot of their competitors don’t share.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lazy devs being lazy, as per

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've only played the first level of cultic and liked it, but I hope later levels have a bit more verticality if they're gonna be as long as the first level was. i did appreciate the mix of indoor and outdoor spaces, you get a bit of the mazey shooter and a bit of the 2000s outdoor shooter rolled together (yes i know Blood had outdoors sections too, this isn't anything new to this style of game).

on steam deck it controls.. OK. i'm playing on normal rather than hard on deck because of stick-aiming not being ideal for combat encounters. this is definitely a game for M&KB first and foremost. i could mess with the trackpad as I've done with other FPS on deck but it's gonna be finnicky to make precision thumb slides if i'm dealing with a crowd. better to just play aggressively and shotgun blast people or dynamite them

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

on steam deck it controls.. OK.

yeah that's my biggest issue, it's very finicky to get right on deck.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s coming to Switch so maybe they’ll update controller controls as it gets closer to release on that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Every single fps I play on the deck (and any first person game, like subnautica and no man's sky), I immediately map gyro being active to my thumb being on the right stick (though not ALSO the right touchpad). The sensitivity bar I set to 160, and the vertical scaling sensitivity to 90-100.

I've now done this so many times that I'm getting super fast with it. It was a configuration for Half Life 2 that made me realize this was my favourite way to control anything. It's so good. So. Good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah being able to add gyro anywhere is great.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'd just want to point out that it's almost never devs lazy and it's instead, devs worked half to death to meet unrealistic deadline with insufficient resources, because that's modern game dev.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
That's fine, but then don't blame the low-spec console.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Is Priest Porridge made from priests or made for priests?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

why not both

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Is Priest Porridge made from priests or made for priests?

It's made from priests but eaten by monks. Also priests only eat monk meal which is the other way around. The triad likes to mix it up a bit on the island so things don’t get stale

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://wadcmd.com

:stare:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

The Firefox experience

quote:

ReferenceError: jQuery is not defined

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/PolyDepression/status/1585382942955950080

Edit: drat it, there's more to the tweet but it won't load all the media at once. Anyway, the funny part:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Huh. That's a much better cast choice than who I had in mind

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The 7th Guest posted:

i've only played the first level of cultic and liked it, but I hope later levels have a bit more verticality if they're gonna be as long as the first level was. i did appreciate the mix of indoor and outdoor spaces, you get a bit of the mazey shooter and a bit of the 2000s outdoor shooter rolled together (yes i know Blood had outdoors sections too, this isn't anything new to this style of game).

There's definitely more verticality in subsequent levels, but you just made me think about the fact that there aren't any significant flying enemies (at least that I can recall).

The ghosts float around ponderously, but their whole "thing" has nothing to do with their ability to fly, and they're usually just a few feet off of the ground. There's nothing nimble that will ambush you from the Z-axis like a Scrag or Cacodemon, or a big bastard like a Pain Elemental that controls the air above an arena.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah the vertical element is more like an arena where guys on ledges are shooting down at you, or you're at the top and have to fight your way down, so you can use gravity to your advantage with lanterns and barrels.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I like how useful throwables are, esp lanterns

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Throwing an explosive barrel in an arena and not realizing there's a Spirit in there too until the barrel doesn't go anywhere and just hovers a few inches in front of your face before some crossfire blows it up is a hell of a feeling.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't use dynamite much in my playthrough because I liked shooting the guns so much. The only time I can remember liking a game's starter pistol and using it for most of the game (of course upgrades help).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Groovelord Neato posted:

I didn't use dynamite much in my playthrough because I liked shooting the guns so much. The only time I can remember liking a game's starter pistol and using it for most of the game (of course upgrades help).

Ah, the Halo:CE approach.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

This is getting out of hand. It won't be long until people will be able to play Doom at any time, anywhere, on anything.

And I am there. :twisted:

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 27, 2022

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In other news... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOkw8ArGxXk

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah, an "upgraded" console version of WH40K: Inquisitor came out to day and it runs worse than the old previous gen versions. Meanwhile, God of War is getting a 120 fps setting. Something is up with these engines or dev teams or hardware.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tiny Timbs posted:

I didn't even hear about the Gotham Knights devs complaining about it (which, yeah, seems like a lame excuse for the stated reasons). It was the Surgeon Simulator dev that I saw of talking about it, claiming that "many devs" were complaining about the Series S requirement and trying to get Microsoft to loosen the requirement. Since they have both Surgeon Simulator games running on Series S at 60fps it at least doesn't seem like it's a lame excuse for bad optimization in their case. I don't think the Series S is a potato in any regard, but I can definitely see the viewpoint that having to make sure your games run on its restricted GPU and RAM specs relative to the Series X could affect games at the design/conceptual level that could hypothetically utilize the full power of the Series X and can't just turn down knobs to make it run. We're still in the (ridiculously long) part of the generation where games are still being made for the PS4/XBone though so we're not really to that point yet.

That said, there's no way Microsoft could relax the requirement now before a mid-gen refresh at the very least without pissing off anyone who bought a Series S with the understanding that it would run any current gen game at 1080p.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The dev I've seen complaining about it was a Rocksteady Studios guy commenting on posts about Gotham Knights, whose been regularly misidentified as a Gotham Knights dev as a result. I believe he since deleted his Twitter account.

Pennsylvanian posted:

Yeah, an "upgraded" console version of WH40K: Inquisitor came out to day and it runs worse than the old previous gen versions. Meanwhile, God of War is getting a 120 fps setting. Something is up with these engines or dev teams or hardware.
I mean, Inquisitor is a console port of a game by an 50-60 person indie team in Budapest, while God of War is a first-party title with hundreds of developers and a budget that dwarfs some countries' GDPs. Slightly different weight divisions here.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
God of War also appears to have targeted the PS4 all along and used the extra power of the PS5 solely to boost the resolution and frame rate

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

o yeah i wanted to say that ive been comparing cultic to blood a lot, but its mostly (beyond them being about cultists + having dynamite) because Blood is my favourite classic shooter and so its like my primary point of comparison for 'Really Good' games

cultic and blood are spiritually similar in the sense of time period and having a cult, and being overall high lethality, but they aren't that mechanically similar, so I don't want people who bounced off Blood to see all the posts comparing them and write off Cultic on that basis. The tone and the gameplay are very different experiences, Cultic is based around very tightly designed combat encounters vs Blood's more traditional 2.5d shooter back-and-forth mapping. Cultic is a lot fairer in how it throws enemies at you, where Blood can be full of rooms that are instant death if you aren't either insanely careful or just already know what is in there.

In tone Cultic is a lot more like, lovecraftian feeling in the sense that its a new englandy region and you're a lone guy investigating disappearances, its colder and less whimsical which allows it to be genuinely chilling at times. Blood is a black comedy where you're the ultimate badass who also takes great joy in killing people, so you are never really afraid. At most you're a bit grossed out by some of the scenery, or get startled when you first meet a ghost reaper. It's not a criticism, it wasn't designed to be scary.

It kind of reminds me of the rare remakes in cinema where instead of a boring imitation you get a genuinely new perspective on the original concept. Probably the 2013 Evil Dead remake is the most appropriate example, or even Evil Dead vs Evil Dead 2, although counter-intuitively in that one cultic is evil dead 1 and blood would be evil dead 2.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Evil Dead 1/2 comparisons are exactly what I was thinking. It's less of an outright joke but there's still maybe a wry smile behind it, it's not funny but the people (or person, in this case) behind it was definitely having fun making it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

got Blood Fresh Supply on deck last night, gently caress me it's difficult

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Blood is really twitchy and fast, I don't think it translates good to dual analogs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Point taken about the protag but the more I played the more I realized I literally crawled out of a mass grave in pursuit of a bloody vengeance crusade and that too is pretty badass

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

got Blood Fresh Supply on deck last night, gently caress me it's difficult

yeah it's hard as gently caress even with a mouse and keyboard. out of all the FPS games i played i think blood was by far the hardest starting out, the combination of lethal enemies, ambushes, and gently caress all for weapons makes the first few levels rough. once you get into it though, it's so good. so so good. it's got the customisable made to order difficulty which would probably be good for the deck, just to get the hitscanners to not instantly evaporate you while you're sliding your sticks over to hit them.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRPmNU4Cbk

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cultic in terms of its premise is very similar to DUSK and I'm guessing Chapter Two is going to get weird with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I'm very torn between wanting Cultic chapter two to get REALLY weird with its setting.

But I'm also remembering Xen and going "nope, nope NOPE" many many times over.

Time will tell.