Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Gort posted:

Does anyone have tips for beating The Sick Man of Europe as the Ottomans

I am reaching the end of my first campaign!

1) Civil War is often a good way to break the power of landowners for many countries. But not for Ottomans. Civil war will likely throw you out of Major Powers which means Dead Man of Europe event: you lose all vassals and become Unrecognized.

2) You have almost all the resources you might want till the end game, so you aren't benefiting much from colonization. The only thing I was missing was Opium (for First Aid) so I recommend declaring interest in Birma or somewhere like that so you can create trade routes.

3) You can basically ask Egypt to return core every 5 years. I have never seen anyone coming to their help. After I returned all the cores without a war I supported them. Those lands aren't that good though. And you need this to become not sick.

4) If Russia attacks I think the best course of action is to just defend in the Caucasus and wait till they're bored of fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

fuf posted:

(The issue I guess is that right now it's too easy to ignore interest groups you don't like, even if they have clout.)

idea: whenever you piss off an interest group the leader should also sometimes send a randomly generated insult to you along with the typical tooltip

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

fuf posted:

The way the economy ties into interest groups really is pretty clever and I think is what separates it from other "build a production line" games.
(The issue I guess is that right now it's too easy to ignore interest groups you don't like, even if they have clout.)

Yeah, I imagine a lot of flavor packs and just patches will focus on diversifying nations by IGs or their leaders. They might start with American Land Owners cause obviously a lot of people don't like that, but then they might add some wilder traits to specific IGs in specific countries.

Someone lamented that IGs don't change with time (only through some rare events) but I think it's kinda simulated by the change of their leaders. As in landowners, in general, are conservative but they can get a leader who is radical in some respect, like a Nihilist who is euphoric at the moment of Full Religious Separation law passing. It'd be interesting to see IGs making some sort of requests also depending on culture and region.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Snooze Cruise posted:

idea: whenever you piss off an interest group the leader should also sometimes send a randomly generated insult to you along with the typical tooltip

To Germany: your low character was a subject of Greek plays!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I formed Italy as Two Sicilies (my GDP was snowballing hard and everyone supported me for unification with a bit of rear end-kissing and bankrolling), but my income tanked hard from absorbing the minors (Austria still has the whole northeast), like I suddenly was in a -50k deficit with no construction going and it's because they all built a huge quantity of government administrations and barracks so military and government wages skyrocketed

I am now at +950 bureaucracy and my gold reserves won't last long, should I just tear down all those government and military buildings?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 28, 2022

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

What does opium look like in it's narcotic form?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Baron Porkface posted:

I don't think googling it yourself would put you on The List. In classic opium dens, people smoke it. At least this is how it's described in Sherlock Holmes novels. But it also can be processed, the famous Laudanum - a headache medicine - is basically opium distilled from what I understand. Later Morphine. I imagine this is the First Aid application.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

He's French, so it checks out.

Also, it's 1850 and I have just noticed that Gotland is a state.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

1910s or so in my Selangor game, I dragged my overlord France into a war with Qing to triple my tiny size. Managed to get the land, but then France was stuck in a phantom war with Dai Viet. Didn't really matter to me, all hunky dory, until the phantom war caused enough agitation in France that they popped out a massive revolution that isolated Paris from the coastline and my economy nearly died. Thankfully the revolters won before I went bankrupt.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Is there a way to suggest to the AI "hey I'll join you in this war if you give me this specific war goal"? I have had the AI offer an obligation to join them occasionally but I'm not sure if I can just say "I'll join if you add war reparations/annexing this state/whatever"

There isn't yet, but it's on my prio list to add in the post-release patches.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

TorakFade posted:

I formed Italy as Two Sicilies (my GDP was snowballing hard and everyone supported me for unification with a bit of rear end-kissing and bankrolling), but my income tanked hard from absorbing the minors (Austria still has the whole northeast), like I suddenly was in a -50k deficit with no construction going and it's because they all built a huge quantity of government administrations and barracks so military and government wages skyrocketed

I am now at +950 bureaucracy and my gold reserves won't last long, should I just tear down all those government and military buildings?

It bounces back in my experience.

That said, I would recommend just opening up the buildings and setting them to their lowest values in the over saturated states. Reducing gov/mil spending can also help in the budget, of course. Now you also touch both the French and Austria market, so you can get obscene trade routes going due to bypassing the need for convoys which can really bolster your income.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gamerofthegame posted:

It bounces back in my experience.

That said, I would recommend just opening up the buildings and setting them to their lowest values in the over saturated states. Reducing gov/mil spending can also help in the budget, of course. Now you also touch both the French and Austria market, so you can get obscene trade routes going due to bypassing the need for convoys which can really bolster your income.

Thanks, will try pushing through this. I made a save before clicking the unification button so I can go back on it in case it literally destroys me before I can bounce back

Btw, love that you can get cheevos without ironman finally!

Another thing for the wishlist, I would like the journal and decisions to be more accessible rather than nested in tabs , I keep forgetting to check new journal entries because they're just a tiny number on a small button halfway down the left side "bar" and it took me forever to grok where to go to form Italy, without the notifications of other countries supporting me for unification I wouldn't have even realized it was there

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Sheep posted:

I still haven't noticed any appreciable effect from bolster/suppress on interest groups. Certainly doesn't seem worthwhile compared to boosting agriculture/resource/etc. edicts.

I miss the old Victoria 2 mouseover where you could see where people were migrating to/from on a state level.

The migration mapmode does tell you where people are going on mouseover, I think. Not sure if it is quite that detailed, but the information exists somewhere.

Suppress is very useful when a group you dislike is at 5%-6% clout, since it'll shunt them down to marginalized where you don't need to care what they think about your laws. I did it to the landowners, church and rural folk to be able to pass a bunch of reforms they hated without getting any annoying radicals or negative effects.

I'm less sure when to bolster, but if there's a weaker IG you want in your government for some law then bolstering it during the election is probably good for legitimacy. For example, re: Universal Suffrage, the only way I was able to get it as Scandinavia was to roll a Feminist IG leader and put them in the government. I got lucky enough that it was my 25% clout neckbeard Industrialist leader, but if it had been a lesser IG that would have been a good use of bolstering.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Son of a bitch France got cut down to size and I got released from my voluntary protectorateship and out of the customs market, which destroyed my economy.

Kinksky
Jun 8, 2012
Do we have an ETA on a patch for the really gross stuff like forever wars and empty entities locking powers in diplomatic plays indefinitely? I had a great time as Mexico so far, but I've barely touched the diplomacy/great power stuff and the one time I did, I had to revert to an ancient save. Makes me a little anxious to go to Europe before a patch.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's wild that I had the Bonapartistes share power with the Orleanist for a long time, with no Napoleon 3 trying to usurp the Bourbon throne.

Somehow it's easier to become the Paris Commune than the Second Empire!

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

I always thought the bellamy salute was rather suggestive

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Phigs posted:

Yeah I own the entire state of Bas-Congo, though I had to invade Kongo to take part of it (and fight Portugal AND Spain) since Africa is split up into so many split states. I'm guessing the fact that I had to annex part of it makes it invalid to call a colony? There literally no guidance. "Have fully Colonized a State Region", no tell me how or tell me why buttons. Cool, thanks, gently caress you game.

And I thought maybe I should make a 6th Belgium game (yes, 6th) to colonize quickly, but if I do that will I colonize a region before the tutorial is ready to give me credit for it? I don't know! I can't bring myself to continue playing anymore because I'm so demoralized now though so I guess it's academic.

bro turn the tutorial off and just play the game lol

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Kinksky posted:

Do we have an ETA on a patch for the really gross stuff like forever wars and empty entities locking powers in diplomatic plays indefinitely? I had a great time as Mexico so far, but I've barely touched the diplomacy/great power stuff and the one time I did, I had to revert to an ancient save. Makes me a little anxious to go to Europe before a patch.

I think they said that was the first patch going out...

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-release-known-issues.1551311/

Also, the haters can eat poo poo. I don't know if anyone else has attempted to do all of what this game did and fit it all together, and it was never going to be the crazy undreampt-of fantasy software that was Victoria 2 but better in every way but also completely unchanged. Probably going to hold off playing for a bit until the first couple patches so I don't burn out, then I might try my hand at modding to make the Slavers/Abolitionists harder to deal with. Starting off trying (and likely failing) an Alpha Centauri total conversion mod is probably not going to work.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Tomn posted:

I feel like there’s a degree of irony in how many people there are reporting thriving economies slamming to a halt because they tripped over something while communist and found themselves locked in to subsidizing unprofitable industries forever.

Truly, an economic system which Marx would be proud of.

Meanwhile I’m sitting here with a constitutional monarchy with landed voting because I want to make sure my highly educated but few intelligentsia and industrialists continue to drive government decisions.

some of us stayed on interventionism bcos we didnt like the look of all the subsidies. we're thriving.

however i did find out that taking a province and your ideology automatically turning every industry to a worker coop will make all the people who worked there and had shares in the company extremely upset.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Reached 1913 in my Joseon game. #3 economy in the world, every western power is a basket case of turmoil. I don't think the AI is very good at this game.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Pulled from a different thread, but very relevant:

Also, a candidate for new thread title

Zomborgon posted:

trains rights

Haven't put to much time into the game yet, but I think I'm pretty content for now to fumble with the systems and play below-AI-level.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Quick thing I learned today: if you’re a very small nation, are part (or can become part) of a larger market, and lack in money for even one construction sector: focusing on resources extraction buildings is actually a great way of enriching your basic peasants and upping your gdp. The biggest reason I’ve found is the buildings cost: 150 instead of 300 or 450 construction points means you would grow twice as fast as someone trying to build advanced manufacturing.

Tldr: don’t overlook the time it takes to construct a building if you’re small!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

The way the economy ties into interest groups really is pretty clever and I think is what separates it from other "build a production line" games.

Like as Chile I had some nice new Argentinian grasslands to build on, so I thought I'd finally build up my grain production and cancel the insanely large grain imports I've been doing from the British market since the start of the game. But after building a bunch of new farms I was like oh poo poo! The landowners are back! An obvious side effect that I hadn't considered since I was thinking purely in terms of resource production.

Like it's cool that when deciding what to build the pops it will foster and empower is a genuine consideration.

The weakest part of the game is definitely that politics is basically useless and can be completely ignored 90% of the time. They really needed to bake the politics stuff a bit more, and completely rework how elections/parties/interest groups affect gameplay.

Elections really should actually do something - maybe force the player to make the leading party in the governing coalition, change the head of state, force one law change, SOMETHING.

As it stands you can have the same immortal head of state and governing coalition from game start to game end and not have any problems or impediments the entire time.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Stux posted:

some of us stayed on interventionism bcos we didnt like the look of all the subsidies. we're thriving.

however i did find out that taking a province and your ideology automatically turning every industry to a worker coop will make all the people who worked there and had shares in the company extremely upset.

In my defense, this was my first game (aside from ones where I started over in the first 50 years to get a feel for it), still in tutorial mode, and I wanted to complete the "five year plan" objective. So I thought I'd try it out. Turns out, I think in the future I'll stick to Interventionism with that setup. I don't see much point in the Government-run work mode when you have Worker Cooperative, and +25% Authority is definitely not worth the subsidies, particularly when I'd gotten rid of all the other laws that gave +authority.

On the upside, sorting out my economy and all the building I did catapulted me right to rank #1, I'm in the green now even with taxes back to the middle and utilizing my full construction capacity, and though I had to scale back my welfare a bit my QoL graph barely blipped. Now I'll try and build up my military a bit more and maybe grab some puppets before the end date. So far I've been relying on a smaller but very advanced force which has worked well enough, I managed to win a war against Russia and China where I was outnumbered almost 10-to-1.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 28, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
the ai overall just needs to be a bit more hostile towards u. both internally and externally

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Popoto posted:

Quick thing I learned today: if you’re a very small nation, are part (or can become part) of a larger market, and lack in money for even one construction sector: focusing on resources extraction buildings is actually a great way of enriching your basic peasants and upping your gdp. The biggest reason I’ve found is the buildings cost: 150 instead of 300 or 450 construction points means you would grow twice as fast as someone trying to build advanced manufacturing.

Tldr: don’t overlook the time it takes to construct a building if you’re small!

I'm doing a Yugoslavia game now and this is great for Serbia. Became part of the Austrian market, use Austria to get Ottoman provinces.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Eiba posted:

I had been making 200,000 just on fertilizer tariffs to Spain alone.

major adversaries of v3 so far
- landowners
- early game trade agreements that you forget and think nothing about it until ten years later you are perpetually running out of convoys because you are importing/exporting something that became indispensable to how things are working out and has the solidity of a house of cards

sloppy portmanteau
Feb 4, 2019
After switching to a parliamentary republic suddenly the Lantmanna party (industrialists+armed forces) gets literally 100% of the vote. Seems a bit fishy. Combined they currently have almost 50% clout but I would have thought some other parties would get something. It's making it difficult to keep the trade unions in government to pass some progressive policy.

Is this due to me having census suffrage? I still would have thought the intelligentsia would get at least something.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wow getting $20k/week in war reparations from the East Indies Company, when that was basically my budget before they decided to shovel cash at me, really is something.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ilitarist posted:

I am reaching the end of my first campaign!

1) Civil War is often a good way to break the power of landowners for many countries. But not for Ottomans. Civil war will likely throw you out of Major Powers which means Dead Man of Europe event: you lose all vassals and become Unrecognized.

2) You have almost all the resources you might want till the end game, so you aren't benefiting much from colonization. The only thing I was missing was Opium (for First Aid) so I recommend declaring interest in Birma or somewhere like that so you can create trade routes.

3) You can basically ask Egypt to return core every 5 years. I have never seen anyone coming to their help. After I returned all the cores without a war I supported them. Those lands aren't that good though. And you need this to become not sick.

4) If Russia attacks I think the best course of action is to just defend in the Caucasus and wait till they're bored of fighting.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I never thought to just start diplomatic plays against Egypt - I figured that my army was so much weaker than theirs that they would just tell me to get lost, or they'd get defended by another great power. How much did you ask for per diplomatic play?

What kind of stuff did you build first, and what laws and tech did you beeline?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

sloppy portmanteau posted:

After switching to a parliamentary republic suddenly the Lantmanna party (industrialists+armed forces) gets literally 100% of the vote. Seems a bit fishy. Combined they currently have almost 50% clout but I would have thought some other parties would get something. It's making it difficult to keep the trade unions in government to pass some progressive policy.

Is this due to me having census suffrage? I still would have thought the intelligentsia would get at least something.

I'm wondering how much "doing well" goes in favor of the groups in government

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Wow, Haiti's debt is just enough to keep you a from just becoming the strongest Caribbean economy. Well done pdox.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Has anyone managed to get a pop's SOL high enough to make consistent demand for fine arts? My upper strata is at like 32 yet I've only got a single buy order on the market, and it doesn't seem like any AI countries are doing well enough to take in any exports.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

sloppy portmanteau posted:

I saw it mentioned somewhere that pops in your capital have more clout, so that could be affecting things. Or maybe the intelligentsia has a super unpopular leader.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 28, 2022

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
so this time around its the rural folk that went full communist instead of the army or the labor unions. opium fueled maoist afghansitan is a go

e: lol the moderate labor union leader got killed in a duel and got replaced by an anarchist
e2: and then the liberals split off and now theyre eating absolute poo poo in the elections ahaha

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 28, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

so this time around its the rural folk that went full communist instead of the army or the labor unions. opium fueled maoist afghansitan is a go

e: lol the moderate labor union leader got killed in a duel and got replaced by an anarchist
e2: and then the liberals split off and now theyre eating absolute poo poo in the elections ahaha

warning in my game this is what happened, and the rural leader also got the feminist trait, at exactly the moment where the trade unions took over leadership of the party and became the much larger IG due to my industrialisation accelerating, and now ive been trying off and on to pass womens sufferage for nearly 2 decades lol

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I catapulted from #17 to #11 just on switching my sole shipyard over to Ironclad production, wowza.

And I'm still three years from being able to use steamers at my ports, welp. Full military production it is, and I'll queue a second shipyard to feed my ports, I guess.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
jack the ripper was born a muslim and hes singlehandedly caused 1/5 of my population to radicalize. ive got 25 years left in this game and its going to end in an absolute disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Porkface posted:

its a ball of sticky black stuff, imagine softer play dough that smells like rotten candy and leaves residue on your hands. you cut or pinch a smaller portion off the lump and smoke it, it smells like incense and the smoke tastes sweet. i guess you could press the raw opium into fancy shapes or sticks or whatever for regular portions

opium itself is basically the sap/latex from the poppy pod. poppies grow with like a bulb, you cut the bulb open and sap comes out. get enough of that together and you've got opium. its pretty raw, directly from the plant, further medicinal or narcotic drugs are basically just distilled opium

in this video, you can see how opium is collected. video is work safe, just some guy hanging out in a poppy field talking about how opium is grown so its age restricted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlr_w3rXX5o&t=250s

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 28, 2022