Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gaius Marius posted:

They should add a route where you can cause the eclipse in P4.

Isn't that pretty much the Adachi Bad End.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Isn't that pretty much the [P4's] Bad End.

Spoilers? I dunno, people were always good about keeping the Killer's identify a secret to me.

Regardless, P4 is small time. You cover up a few murders. That ain't got nothing on the world-shaking consequences of the Eclipse. Honestly, P3 and P5's bad ends are much closer. The stakes are very low in 4 compared to every other Persona game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean, the guy is in the fighting game. It's not really much of a secret anymore.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

What's the best way to raise guts? I'm at 2 and there's two confidants I can't even start yet

If you're at Knowledge 2, Proficiency 2 (which you probably are) take the Big Bang Burger Challenge for a single note in everything except kindness. Then keep taking the next tier up and failing - two notes worth of guts every time. Or three if you can pass the second BBB challenge at 3/3/3. Also read the guts book on the train first and use the guts film on the DVD player early.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Hunt11 posted:

Yep. Pretty much all the Band of the Hawk dies horribly.

That was the max social link event with Griffith

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, the guy is in the fighting game. It's not really much of a secret anymore.

If someone's new to Persona series, why would he know about the significance of a character being in a fighting game. New people are playing the series with the PC releases (and might go for older ones like 4), don't spoil it for them (I only learned about Persona 4 this year and finished it half a year ago).

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, it's understandable that you don't want to mark entire discussions as spoilers for something that is reasonably old, but it doesn't take much effort to just hide one name.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I want to max everything in the first playthrough because I'm not sure if my attention span will allow me to replay the game a second time, but at the same time I don't want to use a strict guide cause I like doing what I want. But I guess I have to because I'm using EN voices for my 1st playthrough of Royale, so I need to do a 2nd one if I want to play the game how God intended (with JP voices and max social links).

I think I gave up on my 2nd playthrough of P5 because I was fooling around in Kamoshida's Palace and got myself kicked out for getting caught at 100% security and apparently the shock of not being super optimal crushed my spirits and destroyed my willingness to keep playing. At least that doesn't happen in P5R.

I think my dumbest thing was failing my 2nd playthrough of base P4 because I forgot to allot enough time slots to the Death arcana grandma because I took her for granted. The lesson here is don't take old people for granted, cause one day you'll regret not spending enough time with them.

We are also living the Streaming/Let's Play/Longplay era, another option is playing on your own, then watch the things you missed in any of those.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

mmkay posted:

If someone's new to Persona series, why would he know about the significance of a character being in a fighting game. New people are playing the series with the PC releases (and might go for older ones like 4), don't spoil it for them (I only learned about Persona 4 this year and finished it half a year ago).

I'm sorry man, but Persona 4 is old enough if it was a person it could actually be a character in itself. There has to be SOME sort of statute of limitations on spoilers.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Persona 4 (meta spoilers??) absolutely does have world-ending supernatural shenanigans, they're just so well hidden that unless you go "hang on this plot is stupid why did I even get a Persona in the first place" or are in on the twist, you can probably just..... miss them. The P4 protag 'wins' Izanami's experiment but doesn't also curb stomp her, so she might.... still go do weird supernatural fuckery? The heart of mankind may remain shrouded in the comforting fog of lies for longer? It's a lot less "oops, end of the world as we know it" than P4 and P5 but it is there.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm sorry man, but Persona 4 is old enough if it was a person it could actually be a character in itself. There has to be SOME sort of statute of limitations on spoilers.

I recently accidentally spoiled the ending of Yakuza 2 by googling a character from the previous game to remember his what his deal was and boom first sentence terada is the fifth chairman, and also secretly Korean like loving 80% of the cast of this game

I deliberately avoided all p4 info on the internet and I managed to work it out like, exactly at the point you're supposed to which felt nice

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you have ever watched a single Persona video on Youtube you'll instantly get "Inside an Edgelord" dropped into your feed which spoils the killer in Persona 4 in the thumbnail, so. :v:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Talking about JRPGs constantly, I of course had heard of P3 and P4 long before I played them in 2017 or so. I did manage to avoid all spoilers but I didn't like, ead too extensively about them or watch videos beforehand so that did help.

I read far more posts about Nanako being the Killer.

Quite frankly, it only hit me who the Killer was when we got to read this list of names.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

i’ve been playing the poo poo out of p5r for the first time now that it’s out on pc, and my only major opinion so far is that while she’s incredibly useful and endearing, trying to romance the temperance confidant should lead for an automatic game over

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

double negative posted:

while she’s incredibly useful and endearing, trying to romance the hermit confidant should lead for an automatic game over

FTFY

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
who's the least problematic romance option

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I’d say Lovers, Priestess, Star and Empress.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Man I'm conflicted on voice acting. On the one hand I did English for my base playthrough and I love the English cast, but the Japanese VAs are great as well and I feel like I should play it with them this time

Tough decisions..

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Man I'm conflicted on voice acting. On the one hand I did English for my base playthrough and I love the English cast, but the Japanese VAs are great as well and I feel like I should play it with them this time

Tough decisions..

I can't stand the English VA, and I would be puzzled as to why that is, except - I have heard voice acting in other games, and it's....never great, sometimes good, but mostly merely tolerable, with brief gusts to awful.

I used to prefer Japanese VA, because I didn't know enough Japanese to be able to tell that the acting was terrible. Now that I have been learning, the acting is STILL better than the English cast's.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Is there a Japanese pun or cultural thing for why Kaneshiro becomes like.. a gangsta fly?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Kaneshiro has a link to money In his name but that’s all I took from that. No idea about the fly connections

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Beelzebub

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HaB posted:

I can't stand the English VA, and I would be puzzled as to why that is, except - I have heard voice acting in other games, and it's....never great, sometimes good, but mostly merely tolerable, with brief gusts to awful.

I used to prefer Japanese VA, because I didn't know enough Japanese to be able to tell that the acting was terrible. Now that I have been learning, the acting is STILL better than the English cast's.

I think the English cast in P5R does a pretty good job :shobon:

I think I'm gonna go back to Japanese though just to hear the other half. Even if I can't hear Morgana as anything other than Tony Chopper

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The main targets use deadly sins as a unifying theme. Kaneshiro's is gluttony, the demon of gluttony is Bael/Beelzebub, the lord of the flies. Hence, he turns into a fly.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Yeah but why does he suddenly do gang signs and say yo?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

Tone deafness in the writing he goes from having a slick gangster façade to being literally fly. Definitely rolled my eyes at that transition. that’s one I imagine you could blame the translators for, but who really knows? Boss fight sucks rear end too.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

I think the English cast in P5R does a pretty good job :shobon:

I think I'm gonna go back to Japanese though just to hear the other half. Even if I can't hear Morgana as anything other than Tony Chopper

I’m generally pretty critical of dub quality, because most of the time it’s really bad. But, the dub for this is actually quite good. Faith kind of sucks though. otherwise, the cast sounds pretty normal and natural within the constraints of the script.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 28, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

The long and short of it is that Kaneshiro was a street punk who made it good. The gangster facade falls away from his shadow revealing that in his heart he was still the same thug he always was.

BurningBeard posted:

Tone deafness in the writing he goes from having a slick gangster façade to being literally fly. Definitely rolled my eyes at that transition. that’s one I imagine you could blame the translators for, but who really knows? Boss fight sucks rear end too.

No, that is the character. In Japanese he starts speaking in rougher language and peppers English into his speech.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Nah he's like that in the Japanese dialog as well, nothing to do with the translation. As for why, no idea.

The English VA in the original P5 seemed fine to me, aside from the :psyduck: mandate from the Japanese side to deliberately mis-pronounce the characters' names (but still call each other soandso-chan just to make it even more jarring). Can't exactly lay that one at the translators' feet either seeing as their hands were tied.

Probably the biggest problem with the English dialogue is the weirdly PG-13 dialogue but again that seems like something imposed from on high. There were some clunky lines sure but the game has an absolute shitton of dialogue and the translators probably weren't given nearly enough time to go through them all, I'm just going to assume that "Suguru Kamoshida was a scum[bag]" was the product of a translator hopped up on energy drinks going cross-eyed at a 400,000 line spreadsheet at 4 AM.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

The English VA in the original P5 seemed fine to me, aside from the :psyduck: mandate from the Japanese side to deliberately mis-pronounce the characters' names (but still call each other soandso-chan just to make it even more jarring). Can't exactly lay that one at the translators' feet either seeing as their hands were tied.

Wait, what? That was on purpose, the mispronouncing?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The long and short of it is that Kaneshiro was a street punk who made it good. The gangster facade falls away from his shadow revealing that in his heart he was still the same thug he always was.

No, that is the character. In Japanese he starts speaking in rougher language and peppers English into his speech.

Ok, so just tone deaf then. Lol.

Like they could easily have had him do some cheesy 1920s mafia affect, linguistically speaking, and it would have worked fine. They didn’t even call his affiliation Yakuza, so it would have fit the TL without being so culturally oblivious.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 28, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Wait, what? That was on purpose, the mispronouncing?

It sure seems that way at least, because they all mispronounce the names sorta the same way

I have no idea why though, because even if I had no idea about Japanese pronunciation or anything I'm still not sure I'd read the names like they do. Plus a lot of the cast also VAs for anime so you'd think they'd have a pretty good idea how to read a Japanese name, which leads me to believe they were directed to read them that way for some strange reason

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I'm pretty sure the point of Kaneshiro is his Shadow tries to present himself as a respectable businessman/high-class criminal, but as you beat him the facade drops and starts talking like the low life thug he really is.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The groan-worthy pun about Kaneshiro being "fly" is the only memorable thing about him outside of the Piggytron. It's good that it's in.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It sure seems that way at least, because they all mispronounce the names sorta the same way

I have no idea why though, because even if I had no idea about Japanese pronunciation or anything I'm still not sure I'd read the names like they do. Plus a lot of the cast also VAs for anime so you'd think they'd have a pretty good idea how to read a Japanese name, which leads me to believe they were directed to read them that way for some strange reason

Seems like the pronunciation comes directly from Atlus: https://twitter.com/ErikaHarlacher/status/841752349546704896

My guess is they somehow think the pronunciation sounds cooler to Western ears that way? Which is really misunderstanding their weeb audience lol.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I don't think a lot of people who complain about it really care, exactly, but most don't seem to realize how involved in big productions Japanese studios are these days. For starters a lot of them confirm dub actors before they go to work. (How involved this process is probably varies, admittedly.)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gene Park (who I like) called the mispronunciation borderline racist recently, so it's funny to hear that it was mandated from Japan now.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
racism from japan thinking westerners can't understand the superior nippon language :cool:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

YaketySass posted:

In which one? P5R? P4G? P3P? All of them?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Flair posted:

In which one? P5R? P4G? P3P? All of them?

yes

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

racism from japan thinking westerners can't understand the superior nippon language :cool:

Remember when some tv show in Japan blamed the brutish way american's talk for why covid was spreading there and not in glorious Nippon? Good times.

YaketySass posted:

Since the protagonist is a self-insert, should we be determining problematitude/problematicity based on our age, or the in-game protagonists age?

Reik fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 28, 2022

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
P3P unironically has zero non-problematic relationships because they flake out and made the emperor slink some kind of volcel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

P3P unironically has zero non-problematic relationships because they flake out and made the emperor slink some kind of volcel

NM misread.