Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

If you're using an iPad 9th gen, just keep Settings in App Switcher and double-tap the Home button when you need quick access.

Yes, I'm doing that. It's just weird that you can't add the one useful item to the slide down menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
It's a clock that you see for a second before you get to the desktop. :psyduck:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part of the upgrade:

I’ve been a dark sky user for yearrrrrrs. Once apple bought them I stopped really focusing , but it’s still on my iPad.

Anyway, apple def replaced the dark sky app on my iPad with the new apple weather app.

I’m not upset, but def was a little surprised by it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The dark sky API is going dark forever early next year too so it's good timing.

The weatherkit API that replaces it is very close to the same API so it lives on in spirit.. I guess. The old app was great though.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

My favorite part of the upgrade:

I’ve been a dark sky user for yearrrrrrs. Once apple bought them I stopped really focusing , but it’s still on my iPad.

Anyway, apple def replaced the dark sky app on my iPad with the new apple weather app.

I’m not upset, but def was a little surprised by it.

the dark sky app is scheduled to stop working entirely on jan 1.

API users (like my employer) have till march 30, I think, so my first project of next year will be switching over to some other as yet undetermined weather API.

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
There’s no loving calculator app on these things :bravo: I was trying to calculate the Lethal dose of THC for a 16.3 kg child and now I have to whip out the TI like it’s loving 2006

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just install PCalc, put it in RPN mode, and stop calculating like some kind of animal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Obama2 posted:

There’s no loving calculator app on these things :bravo: I was trying to calculate the Lethal dose of THC for a 16.3 kg child and now I have to whip out the TI like it’s loving 2006

pull down from the top of the screen to get spotlight and that will do calculations fine

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

withak posted:

Just install PCalc, put it in RPN mode, and stop calculating like some kind of animal.

This goon knows what’s up :cool:

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Obama2 posted:

Siri will do basic maths just fine, if you need to get into some fancy business and connected to the internet just open up a web browser and use Google. Or there are apps in the app store.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Apple's justification for not including a basic calculator is pretty dumb though. But it's really hard to overdose on THC,

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

Obama2 posted:

Just use Excel op

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just download a third party calculator app you nerds. ffs

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Tim Apple needs to shove a spoonful of ads down your throat whenever you need to do some math paying your bills and balancing your bank account, ok

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The iPhone calculator is lame anyway, I dont trust them to make a good iPad one

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

If you want a calculator spend $4 and help out this dude:

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20220916/p2a/00m/0sc/017000c

TLDR: retired engineer builds a simple dual calculator app, people go nuts at how useful having two side by side calculators that can transfer data back and forth are.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fate Accomplice posted:

If you want a calculator spend $4 and help out this dude:

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20220916/p2a/00m/0sc/017000c

TLDR: retired engineer builds a simple dual calculator app, people go nuts at how useful having two side by side calculators that can transfer data back and forth are.

Imagine if someone had simply introduced this guy to an RPN calculator at some point in his career. :lol:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

Imagine if someone had simply introduced this guy to an RPN calculator at some point in his career. :lol:

Never heard of this but it seems pretty cool

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Make sure the check it out before writing any twin calculator apps.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Y'all ready for a 16 inch pro model next fall? Because that's the new rumor.

There was also a rumor that I really don't believe, but it was put on the internet it's obviously worth talking about, claiming that a stripped down OSX will come to iPads next year.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
iPadOS is already a stripped down macOS though. I'm actually more worried the opposite will happen and macOS will become more like iPadOS

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d probably be down for a 16 but I don’t think I believe it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’d have to have some major materials improvements because I wouldn’t hold anything heavier than the current big Pro for extended periods of time.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I wonder if the 16” iPad would be a replacement for one of the macbooks. Transitioning the OS to be more Mac-like and the overpriced magic keyboards could have you either grab it as a tablet or bundle a keyboard to get a sorta laptop equivalent.

Seems like an Apple kind of thing they’d experiment with

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Widescreen and mini-led yes, 4:3 no.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

101 posted:

Never heard of this but it seems pretty cool

Once you go RPN you never go back

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Not me exchanging my iPad Air M1 to a M2 iPad Pro

couldn’t be me

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
4:3 is gods ratio

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

hatty posted:

16:10 is gods ratio

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

xzzy posted:

There was also a rumor that I really don't believe, but it was put on the internet it's obviously worth talking about, claiming that a stripped down OSX will come to iPads next year.

Wow I hope this JUNK never materializes!

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

Not me exchanging my iPad Air M1 to a M2 iPad Pro

couldn’t be me

I also like wasting money.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
2 is twice as much as 1 so it has to be twice as good, the math doesn't lie

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I’d buy a 16 inch 21:9

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Is this happening to anyone else? When I tap any folder on the taskbar, it no longer blurs / covers the entire screen. Is this a bug on my device? It seems to ugly to be a feature.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

on the topic of missing apps in ipadOS, not only does the wallet app not exist, but if you type "wallet" into spotlight the top result is an app store ad for coinbase crypto wallet :barf:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Clark Nova posted:

on the topic of missing apps in ipadOS, not only does the wallet app not exist, but if you type "wallet" into spotlight the top result is an app store ad for coinbase crypto wallet :barf:

I was tripped by this last week and yeah it’s garbage.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

That's what iPhone is for! Please open the Apple Store app and choose from the many options available that support Apple Wallet!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Once I lost my Apple Wallet and someone returned it to me with all the Apple Cash missing. Some kind of finder's fee I guess

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Macichne Leainig posted:

Once I lost my Apple Wallet and someone returned it to me with all the Apple Cash missing. Some kind of finder's fee I guess

heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

hatty posted:

2 is twice as much as 1 so it has to be twice as good, the math doesn't lie

And it spells disaster for you at Sacrifice!

(sorry I couldn't help myself)