Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

requesting an update on this, how's your short lookin?

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lmao I forgot about that, have fun with that one bro

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I shorted TSLA instead when I learned he was taking TWTR private, as thats how he pays for it, at the 230 strike point.

TSLA down on that, but the theta has eaten a lot of my dividends.

I suppose I should sell to close if this deal hasn't cored out TSLA like I thought it would, as it will probably recover in line with the market.

So no big losses, but no real gains either. Probably woulda made sligggggghtly more just leaving it alone in my ETF

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

what do you mean it will "recover in line with the market"? the shares are supposed to get delisted nov 8.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Telsa recovers, dude. I shorted TSLA instead.

And it did take a hit, but not enough to matter. So if you wanna laugh, then laugh at me moving a bunch of investments around for essentially lunch money dividends when I should've just left it all alone.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

sure okay posted:

I shorted TSLA instead when I learned he was taking TWTR private, as thats how he pays for it, at the 230 strike point.

TSLA down on that, but the theta has eaten a lot of my dividends.

I suppose I should sell to close if this deal hasn't cored out TSLA like I thought it would, as it will probably recover in line with the market.

So no big losses, but no real gains either. Probably woulda made sligggggghtly more just leaving it alone in my ETF
K
:gizz:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

sure okay posted:

Telsa recovers, dude. I shorted TSLA instead.

And it did take a hit, but not enough to matter. So if you wanna laugh, then laugh at me moving a bunch of investments around for essentially lunch money dividends when I should've just left it all alone.

ah, missed the TSLA. so when you said "I big time shorted TWTR today and feel good about it." that didn't really happen?

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

ah, missed the TSLA. so when you said "I big time shorted TWTR today and feel good about it." that didn't really happen?

It did when I made the post, but then I read he was taking it private, and I was like "Oh. Well I still think this deal sucks for him so how do I bet on that?" And thats when I went to TSLA

I think a LOT of people had the same idea lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

sure okay posted:

It did when I made the post, but then I read he was taking it private, and I was like "Oh. Well I still think this deal sucks for him so how do I bet on that?" And thats when I went to TSLA

I think a LOT of people had the same idea lol

lol you shorted a stock without doing any basic due diligent market research, checks out

he literally said he was taking it private the day he said he was gonna buy it

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

MrQwerty posted:

lol you shorted a stock without doing any basic due diligent market research, checks out

I'm gonna spend my 6.50 in dividends on Taco Bell tonight just to spite u

Edit: he says a lot of poo poo dude thats why I bet against him lol

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

TyrsHTML posted:

Why is Twitter any worse to use under this white supremacist rich idiot than the last guy? It's not like jack wasn't the exact same.

One cared more about money and the other cares more about culture war (see: buying it at an inflated price to begin with).

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

jack was more of an age of consent guy, elon is more an apartheid guy

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

One cared more about money and the other cares more about culture war (see: buying it at an inflated price to begin with).

It shouldn’t be said that despite what Musk says there is no way he won’t go where the money is

Because of the price he paid

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

You guys think doing research is a good thing when buying naked options? It's degenerate gambling. Fukn Draft Kings would blush at some of these spreads. It's crystal ball poo poo.

The less you know the better. Just go on instincts. Or, you know, don't do it at all. That's the far smarter play. But if you're gonna, spare yourself the "research."

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lol

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

It shouldn’t be said that despite what Musk says there is no way he won’t go where the money is

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/binance-ceo-elon-musk-twitter-133451414.html

He found investors, so he definitely wasn't just playing with house money. Expect lots of crypto adverts and NFT garbage.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just buy whatever nancy pelosi is buying

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think there’s a good chance he’s dumb enough to make some key missteps about how to get the money though

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
In so much media, rich people, even when they're being presented in a negative light, are portrayed as formidable or capable or impressive in ways that don't just stem from their wealth.

Elon really ought to put the lie to that. What an absolute goober nerd. If there really were secret rich-person orgies he'd be off in some corner nervously pretending to check his phone for an important email.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DataWizard777/status/1585681773710946304

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

jack was more of an age of consent guy, elon is more an apartheid guy

I suspect both are age of consent guys

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

rotinaj posted:

I suspect both are age of consent guys

yeah, a lot of overlap, i just mean where their primary focus lies

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/binance-ceo-elon-musk-twitter-133451414.html

He found investors, so he definitely wasn't just playing with house money. Expect lots of crypto adverts and NFT garbage.

This is what I find so mystifying with due diligence not being done. If he were funding it with his own personal lucre, that would be fine, insane but fine.

It isn't being funded with his money though, were those wealth/fund managers who are backing the deal with other people's money not under a fiduciary duty to do due diligence? Is he not under the same obligation to Tesla shareholders who now find themselves as part owners of twitter?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

AKA Pseudonym posted:

In so much media, rich people, even when they're being presented in a negative light, are portrayed as formidable or capable or impressive in ways that don't just stem from their wealth.

Elon really ought to put the lie to that. What an absolute goober nerd. If there really were secret rich-person orgies he'd be off in some corner nervously pretending to check his phone for an important email.

gentle reminder that Elon won't see your posts but the eyes wide shut orgy wallflowers in your social circle will

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Collateral posted:

This is what I find so mystifying with due diligence not being done. If he were funding it with his own personal lucre, that would be fine, insane but fine.

It isn't being funded with his money though, were those wealth/fund managers who are backing the deal with other people's money not under a fiduciary duty to do due diligence? Is he not under the same obligation to Tesla shareholders who now find themselves as part owners of twitter?

His texts about the deal were revealed as part of the court case, and it turns out all his CEO buddies were caught up in dreams of convincing Elon to rework Twitter however they wanted

for example, here's how he convinced Larry Ellison to chip in a billion dollars

quote:

Elon Musk:

Any interest in participating in the Twitter deal?

Larry Ellison, founder of Oracle:

Yes...of course [thumbs up emoji]

Elon Musk:

Roughly what dollar size? Not holding you to anything, but the deal is oversubscribed, so I have to reduce or kick out some participants.

Larry Ellison:

A billion...or whatever you recommend

Elon Musk:

Whatever works for you. I’d recommend maybe $2B or more. This has very high potential and I’d rather have you than anyone else

Larry Ellison:

I agree that it has huge potential... and it would be lots of fun

Elon Musk:

Absolutely :)

they're all dumb as hell

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Main Paineframe posted:

His texts about the deal were revealed as part of the court case, and it turns out all his CEO buddies were caught up in dreams of convincing Elon to rework Twitter however they wanted

for example, here's how he convinced Larry Ellison to chip in a billion dollars

they're all dumb as hell

Lmao

"The deal is soo popular already, so don't feel pressured to invest a lot"
"ok, have 1 bill"
"I'm going to need double that"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Collateral posted:

What, no, that's completely wrong. Tesla shareholders don't own twitter. It's being funded by Musk's money.

Musk personally owns a shitload of Tesla stock. He's selling some of that stock, and taking out loans against more of it (the same way a normal person could take out a mortgage against your house -- it's a thing with value that secures the loan). Nobody else who owns Tesla stock can do poo poo about it. It's his stock.

He's also getting a bunch of rich people to contribute some money, but those are private deals. There's no due diligence requirement. If the other rich rear end in a top hat said "ok I want to see all the financials and get due diligence" Musk would just be like "lol no, take it or leave it".

Hedge fund managers have fiduciary duties, but at the hedge fund level that's way less of a big deal. It's basically "don't steal the money and don't lie to your clients". That's why hedge funds aren't something you can invest in as an average joe. They have far less regulations as far as how careful they have to be with the money they control. This means they can make far riskier investments with less prep time, which means on average they make more money. But also if your hedge fund loses all its money shorting gamestop, you get to eat a dick.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Was it Larry Ellison whose wife Elon hosed?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Trump unBAN WHEN?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
NSFW for Cartoon Musk

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
You just know Elon Musk 100% supports letting people on twitter use the N word since he's a wealthy white south african.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i wish elon musk didnt ruin the wario costume

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

External Organs posted:

Was it Larry Ellison whose wife Elon hosed?

Nah, I think that was Sergey brin, the google guy

Ubersandwich
Jun 1, 2003

Yaldabaoth posted:

You just know Elon Musk 100% supports letting people on twitter use the N word since he's a wealthy white south african.

He gets to use it cos he's an 'African-American' loool get it!?! I bet you never heard that joke before!! LOLS*

*I clicked on Jordan Peterson's daughter's Twitter account as it was linked in the Jorp thread, she was asking Elon to unban her dad, and she had very recently retweeted a congratulatory tweet praising how an 'African-American' like Musk had hit such heights. Of course there was a lot of back-slapping "har-har-har well played" going around in the replies. I'm not sure why I subject myself to that sort of thing.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1586059953311137792

Boy, I wonder what kind of "widely diverse viewpoints" he's going to include on that council

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1586059953311137792

Boy, I wonder what kind of "widely diverse viewpoints" he's going to include on that council

Council members to include: Vasily Alekseyevich Nebenzya, Kayne "Ye" West, Donald Trump, Kevin Sorbo and Diamond & Silk.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Which state will Elon move the company? I seriously doubt he will keep it in SF.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

texas or florida obviously.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

he will first require all employees to return to the office including the ones who have always been full remote, then move to texas or FL a few months later to inflict maximum pain on the employees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
maybe the 25% that survives the 75% is all the people working from home in texas?

I hope he then demands these people to come into the office.