Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

CPColin posted:

I'm a lifelong California resident and while neither of my hometowns' namesakes showed up to the battle, I still admit I welled up a little. California knows how to party.

My home-away-from-hometown of Mount Shasta got a shout-out!

Hopefully next season we get to see the USS Rancho Cucamonga commanded by co-captains Matt and Nick Jackson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Everyone posted:

DS9 knew those fleets were coming and those fleets were manned by organic beings who wouldn't be completely familiar with DS9's defense specifications or weak points. The AI ships would have much faster reaction, more power to play with (since life support, etc wouldn't be needed) and total familiarity with the targets.

Which is exactly how M5 was able to clown so hard on four other starships identical to the one it was controlling. (And it's essentially the same reason real-world fighter jets will all be drones before long -- the pilot is the weakest component.)

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Delsaber posted:

Hopefully next season we get to see the USS Rancho Cucamonga commanded by co-captains Matt and Nick Jackson

I was a little disappointed that Boimler's listing off of the Cali-class ships wasn't a reference to the old "Mel Blanc says weird California town names" gag that popped up in a lot of old Looney Tunes (usually when a train schedule was being read out), but still, very good ep.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, and then the S2 has a completely new story about how Q wants Picard to bang his house keeper lady, and a backstory on how a part of the Borg collective was admitted to Federation. No-one questions the fact that Picard for example is now an AI consciousness of they guy who died some time ago in a colony ran by Soong androids, running in an android body that mimics real-life body to the degree where 21st century medicine cannot tell the difference.

This is the reason why I think Prodigy/LD trying to make Picard season 1 make more sense is admirable, sort of, it also seems a little futile because Picard season 2 is also batshit, and made season 1 effectively irrelevant.

Fortunately though, Prodigy and Lower Decks have actual characters and stories and stuff, so even if they are building up to a not-so-great plot element, it doesn't affect their quality.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 28, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

GimpInBlack posted:

I was a little disappointed that Boimler's listing off of the Cali-class ships wasn't a reference to the old "Mel Blanc says weird California town names" gag that popped up in a lot of old Looney Tunes (usually when a train schedule was being read out), but still, very good ep.

Next season I want to see the Australia class with the USS Wolloomooloo and the USS Mt Buggery and the USS Humlybong and the USS Mt Disappointment.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

They should do a modern episode about AI.

Pike's Enterprise gets an AI installed and the computer keeps recommending variations of Plomeek Tea to Spock because of his past replication history.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't consider Picard an AI consciousness. In star Trek a soul/katra is %100 real and transferable. Ghosts are also %100 real. He has an artificial body but his real soul was transferred into it. Same as literally everyone who has ever used a transporter.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

That does remind me though that one thing they nail in the episode is Freeman’s line about the point of starfleet being that humanity meets and learns amongst the stars and handing that to AI would be a step back.

Imagine hitting the nail on the head so simply.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't consider Picard an AI consciousness. In star Trek a soul/katra is %100 real and transferable. Ghosts are also %100 real. He has an artificial body but his real soul was transferred into it. Same as literally everyone who has ever used a transporter.

I really don't want to open a huge argument about this and I agree 100% on that Vulcan katra thing and on "transferring the person does not replace that person with an exact copy" stuff, but IIRC didn't they show Picard dying on screen nowhere near the operating table? Whats running in that synth brain is either a memory snapshot from the recently deceased body that actually experienced biological death, or the most recent backup copy from the transporters which isn't the original.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Everyone posted:

DS9 knew those fleets were coming and those fleets were manned by organic beings who wouldn't be completely familiar with DS9's defense specifications or weak points. The AI ships would have much faster reaction, more power to play with (since life support, etc wouldn't be needed) and total familiarity with the targets.

Also they probably didn't have shields up / they were taken out first.

Missing from the pantheon of Trek AI stories discussed is Voyager's Dreadnought, which was a Maquis hacked cardassian AI missile. It packed a punch iirc.

There was even another episode later on where the doctor is hacked by a sentient weapon, I forget the name. Picardo of course hams it up as an evil guy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

They should do a modern episode about AI.

Pike's Enterprise gets an AI installed and the computer keeps recommending variations of Plomeek Tea to Spock because of his past replication history.

Why does the replicator recommendation algorithm consistently recommend racist beverages...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nichael posted:

This is the reason why I think Prodigy/LD trying to make Picard season 1 make more sense is admirable, sort of, it also seems a little futile because Picard season 2 is also batshit, and made season 1 effectively irrelevant.

Fortunately though, Prodigy and Lower Decks have actual characters and stories and stuff, so even if they are building up to a not-so-great plot element, it doesn't affect their quality.

The good news is that from the look of it, Season 3 of Picard also makes Season 2 effectively irrelevant, so it can basically be completely ignored as well beyond what happens in episodes 1 and 10.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will also be ignoring Picard season 3.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Still waiting for a dramatic save at the last moment by the Enterprise D, with no comment just have it be there.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

zoux posted:

Why does the replicator recommendation algorithm consistently recommend racist beverages...

OH interesting, you won't even debate the replicator on klingon crime statistics? I'm sorry but logic doesn't care about your feelings.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Picard is a replicant

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Phy posted:

Picard is a replicant

Definitely, and also a cylon skinjob.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Next season I want to see the Australia class with the USS Wolloomooloo and the USS Mt Buggery and the USS Humlybong and the USS Mt Disappointment.

USS Dollarbucks, USS DollaryDoos, USS Heeler

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MikeJF posted:

Also I didn't catch it first time but YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS there's a USS West Covina.

USS Cerritos
USS Oakland
USS Alhambra
USS San Diego
USS San Clemente
USS Sherman Oaks
USS Vacaville
USS Burbank
USS Fresno
USS Santa Monica
USS San Jose
USS Sacramento
USS Culver City
USS Anaheim
USS Riverside
USS Vellejo
USS West Covina
USS Pacific Palisades
USS Redding
USS Eureka
USS Mt Shasta
USS Merced
USS Carlsbad
USS Inglewood

Rubidoux and Solvang went kaboom, of course.

I want my USS Rancho Cucamonga

Probably too long of a name for the saucer section though

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Also I didn't catch it first time but YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS there's a USS West Covina.

USS Cerritos
USS Oakland
USS Alhambra
USS San Diego
USS San Clemente
USS Sherman Oaks
USS Vacaville
USS Burbank
USS Fresno
USS Santa Monica
USS San Jose
USS Sacramento
USS Culver City
USS Anaheim
USS Riverside
USS Vellejo
USS West Covina
USS Pacific Palisades
USS Redding
USS Eureka
USS Mt Shasta
USS Merced
USS Carlsbad
USS Inglewood

Rubidoux and Solvang went kaboom, of course.

I love some subtle jokes here- like how most of these are suburbs, but also San Diego's sitting with equal billing to Fresno and Cerritos
kept waiting for a USS Bakersfield, it'd be fun to play that as sort of a, 'starbase 80 of starships', but with that Starfleet 'give em a chance to get better' thing going on

Bilirubin posted:

I want my USS Rancho Cucamonga

Probably too long of a name for the saucer section though

hey it's only slightly longer than USS Corpus Christi, which was another funny pull imo
I'm guessing they didn't go for it because it's well-trod funny town name territory

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Peanut Butler posted:

I love some subtle jokes here- like how most of these are suburbs, but also San Diego's sitting with equal billing to Fresno and Cerritos
kept waiting for a USS Bakersfield, it'd be fun to play that as sort of a, 'starbase 80 of starships', but with that Starfleet 'give em a chance to get better' thing going on

Starbase 80 should have been the USS Fontuckey.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah, I missed a great line from Dr T'Ana: "I didn't spent seven loving years on a goddamn Oberth to get knocked down to station physician!"

Peanut Butler posted:

We've actually heard of the Bakersfield and the Ventura as well as the ones on that list, but they didn't show up to the fleet.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

All those Cali-class ships and I’m surprised they didn’t have a USS Palmdale, given the circumstances.

Episode owns, show owns. Showns.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

CaptainSkinny posted:

Starbase 80 should have been the USS Fontuckey.

lol

and the USS Van Nuys is a holodeck repair/cleaning vessel

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

my pipe dream is for the Los Angeles comedians involved in Lower Decks to reach out to the less-prestigious Chicago comedians who did Improvised Star Trek, create a rivalry between California and Illinois class ships. That podcast is the fan work I miss the most since CBS/Paramount firmed up their guidelines

iirc IST's USS Sisyphus was an outdated and creaky Constellation-class, and that crew is definitely 100% lower deckers with flaws that run much deeper than Cerritos' senior staff- not quite Starbase 80 level, but rife with petty drama. I don't think what they were doing fits the tone that LD sets for comedy Trek- but dang that cast was so good, and it'd be a delight to see them show up in the newly-commissioned, but still kind of crappy, USS Galesburg or something.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I hope we see more Parliament classes in the future, and that they're all also named after British Columbia cities. So like the USS Surrey, USS Hope, USS Chilliwack, USS Victoria, USS Abbotsford, USS Nanaimo, USS Prince George, USS Quesnel, USS Vernon, USS Kamloops, USS Kewlona, USS Golden, USS 100 Mile House, USS Haida Gwaii, etc.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

nine-gear crow posted:

USS Chilliwack

Gotta be more churches and Tim Hortons locations on the USS Chilliwack than there are officers

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I just hope we get more ships, and that those ships have names. Just a dick as hard as a diamond for ships named things.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nothing is cooler than the Crazy Horse

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Do you're saying JL Pipes should have been put in a sex ghost candle?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In star Trek a soul/katra is %100 real and transferable.

Or you're just telepathically copying your memories over.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Trek is loaded to the rafters with Ship of Theseus consciousness-surfing situations, so I don't get how people get so hung up on thinking that Picard is actually dead or whatever. I mean, the transporter kills you and creates an exact duplicate of you with all your memories prior to your molecular disintegration. Everyone on Star Trek is an unquiet dead homunculus.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

Nothing is cooler than the Crazy Horse

That ship has two extremely good options for its five-letter exercise T-shirt.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

CORSE and RAZYH

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Trek is loaded to the rafters with Ship of Theseus consciousness-surfing situations, so I don't get how people get so hung up on thinking that Picard is actually dead or whatever.

Maybe it is because Memory Alpha gives him a time and place of death?

But following the Ensign Kim principle is probably in order here; we have *a* Picard, its just not *the* Picard, so nobody should care.

But its still a cylon skinjob/replicant Picard.

EDIT: I mean Q could just start the S2 by snapping his fingers and saying "oh get the **** out of here with that synth stuff *snap* here you go as old and worn as ever"

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 28, 2022

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Powered Descent posted:

Now I need to see some people jogging in the hall wearing either RANCHO or MONGA shirts.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Picard S2 should've been five seconds long where Q shows up, takes one look at Pinocchio Picard, says, "you're not him" and flits away.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Picard S2 should've been five seconds long where Q shows up, takes one look at Pinocchio Picard, says, "you're not him" and flits away.

That is one of the few things I appreciate Season 2 of Picard for, Q just going "Oh, you're a robot now. ...Neat. Anyway, I'm here to psychologically torture you some more until one or both of us dies."

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
speaking of names, a minor complaint I have with LD is how it's still so anglo centric despite the fact that they're not constrained by having to have mostly white american actors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Trek is loaded to the rafters with Ship of Theseus consciousness-surfing situations, so I don't get how people get so hung up on thinking that Picard is actually dead or whatever. I mean, the transporter kills you and creates an exact duplicate of you with all your memories prior to your molecular disintegration. Everyone on Star Trek is an unquiet dead homunculus.

I think the theory of mind that people keep coming into this show with that has everyone be an undead replicant three ways over despite practically never having any adverse effects isn't very sound

Like one of the first things Star Trek showed was beings who've ascended to a state of pure energy and they're fine, that's all the transport is really doing to people