Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

humanity converts huge swaths of land into tracts that are uninhabitable for most life on the planet other than humans and then acts suprised when that other life dies off. Fascinating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TeenageArchipelago posted:

humanity converts huge swaths of land into tracts that are uninhabitable for most life on the planet other than humans and then acts suprised when that other life dies off. Fascinating

That other life was icky life, so it doesn't matter. Snakes, spiders, bugs gross!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

That life should have had a better business prospectus

Fell Mood
Jul 2, 2022

A terrible Fell look!

I live in kind of a rural area. If you go out driving there's greenery as far as the eye can see in every direction. I remember the first time it clicked that these vast tracts of corn fields and cow pastures aren't nature, and in fact are remarkably sterile built environments.

Hell I nearly forgot about the vast tracts of timber company land with monoculture pines. Even the "woods" nearby are part of the human made environment.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/carlbeijer/status/1586013425351553024?s=46&t=WujYdTJ0aXUkvZkFZJhzTw

lol we’re all doomed

Al-Saqr has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Oct 28, 2022

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

cmon, humanity on its own seemed to do alright before corporations really kicked off in the 1600s and proceeded to destroy everything so a few inbred pieces of poo poo that everyone worshipped could become richer than ever, then kicking that into overdrive once oil was exploited

but hey: you can't make an omelet without breaking a few planetary eggs!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

oh no they're not wrong the population will almost certainly be shrinking in 40 years

silence, malthusian!

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
one billion Canadians

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

good news everybody! :toot:

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1585918170644316162

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Lol 98% of bugs seems....like thats it folks right?

(in some areas)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
if it follows the theme of the rest of the worldwide collapse I would imagine some places have WAY MORE bugs too. either not enough bugs or so many bugs you die, with nothing in between. just like water.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stereotype posted:

if it follows the theme of the rest of the worldwide collapse I would imagine some places have WAY MORE bugs too. either not enough bugs or so many bugs you die, with nothing in between. just like water.

you just invented locust swarms a priori in your spotless mind

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

easy to ban them once the factories have been swallowed by the sea

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

so they're gonna make as many as possible before then so technically all the cars are pre-ban and they'll keep selling for 10 years

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Stereotype posted:

Yea it's malaria mosquitos

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
i will not Eat The Bugs, because there will be none left

:smith:

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

Ban cruise ships for gently caress sakes.
Cars and trucks etc amount to a meaningless contribution to smog / CO2 release.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hubbert posted:

i will not Eat The Bugs, because there will be none left

:smith:

just move to a place with lots of locusts and malaria mosquitoes it sounds like

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

lmao

this is pretty good

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
i like how EVs just shift around where the release of CO2 happens

but saving the planet right

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
there's only two insects i want extinct: cockroaches and mosquitos

i'll be sad about the extinction of every other insect species

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

finally. this combined with voting is what we need in order to save the world 🙏🙏

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

don't worry adbusters has a plan

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ULTUMA
TUM

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Seatbelts posted:

Ban cruise ships for gently caress sakes.
Cars and trucks etc amount to a meaningless contribution to smog / CO2 release.

lol that is so false its pretty funny, where do people get this poo poo

we should still ban cruise ships too ofc

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol that 5.8% fugitive emissions number is waaaaay too low

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Stereotype posted:

ticks

so many ticks

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

MightyBigMinus posted:

lol that is so false its pretty funny, where do people get this poo poo

we should still ban cruise ships too ofc

It comes from passenger vehicles having better emission standards that almost any other source of CO2 and telling people that buying an electric car to do their part is an energy sector talking point that has always existed to distract people from the major sources of emissions that actually could be improved easily and would make a real difference

remember when the sky in california BECAME BLUE and it was making people freak out; the cruise ships were stopped but the cars and poo poo weren't

all of road transport is equivalent to industrial OTHER or ???????? lol

Seatbelts has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Oct 28, 2022

bongmaster
Oct 16, 2022

by Azathoth

i cant read this graph. sus

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Suppressed/repressed knowledge of biosphere death, a la no bugs on windshield which is most routinely subconsciously known/processed, doesn't require understanding or even acknowledgement.

American individualism is its own brand of toxic rot but it doesn't go into the roots as deeply as McPherson or a lot of CSPAMMERs think. People rely on their neighbors quite a lot; hostility and violence is the purview and caustic outgrowth of actions by the State against its people.

I told my GF the ocean we had gone into that day was unusually and eerily warm, this is California so the water is usually cold year round. She told me to stop worrying about the ocean.

She's better and way more climate pilled now. Thanks Tiktok!

Speaking of neighbors my engagement party last week couldn't have been done without the neighbors in the complex all helping, contributing gear, or otherwise just staying out of the way. A neighbor that just moved out attended and the guy who took their place let us use the otherwise empty house and garage for bathrooms and parking. My MIL is a boomer who smokes, so she's always outside talking to people. Yenta-driven community building.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

there's only two insects i want extinct: cockroaches and mosquitos

i'll be sad about the extinction of every other insect species

I never want to encounter a giant desert centipede but I will mourn their passing

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008

actionjackson posted:

don't worry adbusters has a plan

this doesn't look like a very good ultima game

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Filthy Hans posted:

I never want to encounter a giant desert centipede but I will mourn their passing

centipedes in general are too full of hate for me. Millipedes are cool, centipedes can go.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

no ring

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
a ring of fire, perhaps

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

These bans are my favorite of the do-nothing tactics by a mile. They're perfectly crafted to sound like some kind of radical change while simultaneously doing nothing to reduce emissions. It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018